• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TitanFall (EA/Respawn, PC/XB1/360, Spring 2014, Game Informer Leak, All Info In OP)

oldergamer

This is pretty huge for MS. Should be money well spent but the PR about the cloud is ducking bullshit as far as physics go.

In theory, if data streaming is occurring in a game, you can predict what direction a player is going and if you can do that you can determine what physics will be required at specific points. The cloud can calculate the physics keyframes with the console filling in the gaps while using less processing power ( essentially lerping between keyframes ).

I'm just throwing out theory, but people really needed to relax and wait to see if MS actually shows something using the cloud before claiming what can't be done. Everyone already knows it won't be for anything time sensitive in a game. MS already stated that.

Does this means it's always online, even the singleplayer game? What if EA closes the servers, like they did with FIFA and a bunch of other games?

this is why I always think twice about buying EA games. even when they talk about the "power of the cloud", what are MS' policies on things like this? will they be hosting dedicated servers for all publishers for the next 10 years? will this be only for first party games and money hats?

it's hard to get hyped about xbox exclusives these days with MS being so disingenuous towards the gamer

Steroyd

you can play games offline. its not always online. if its a simple check, you can do it within a few seconds. even if your internet connection craps out you could still use your smartphone for the check (using your 3g connection i mean).

It sounds like gamers are on parole for buying games, what the hell!?

Larson

Banned
I think Microsoft is furious right know. I am pretty sure that this is there big game too wrap up the show. The game looks fun and when you know that its coming from the makers from COD, it just makes it sweeter. To bad I'm buying a PS4 next generation.

eXite

you can play games offline. its not always online. if its a simple check, you can do it within a few seconds. even if your internet connection craps out you could still use your smartphone for the check (using your 3g connection i mean).

Most ridiculous thing I've read today! I won't use my phone to play a game! I've played Super Mario Bros on the NES offline 20! years ago!

It's 2013 and it should be easier, not harder to play! Everything should be easier!!

By the way

download

Two more years... :)

flash ban

Banned
It's exclusive to the Microsoft "ecosystem"! If you want to play this game you'll have to give MS money one way or another. :p

Can't wait to see how the game looks, 60fps next-gen Source game. It should be pretty.

Edit: I hope everyone screaming moneyhats!!1!1 will do the same in every third party exclusive games that Sony will get. Right guys?

you can play it at a friends house and give no one money.

SRTtoZ

Most ridiculous thing I've read today! I won't use my phone to play a game! I've played Super Mario Bros on the NES offline 20! years ago!

It's 2013 and it should be easier, not harder to play! Everything should be easier!!

By the way

download

Two more years... :)

WTF MAN. I'm still excited for power laces!

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
We couldn't get it to run on current gen. But it's still coming to current gen.

Everything to do with Xbone news is filled with contradictions.

The gameplay itself sounds kinda cool, although I'm much more interested in single playing gaming than online.

GI points how that the Xbox One has 5GB of GDDR3 ram available to devs, whereas PS4 has 8GB DDR5 ram, and asks if that's a problem for Respawn. He says they're having trouble even using the 5GB efficiently with all the new architecture tricks. (that is to say, even if they had 8GB they wouldn't know how to use it properly at this stage of development)

GI: "What XBox One lacks in RAM, it potentially makes up for in cloud computing." Talks about how the game will have unlimited dedicated servers for the game, offloading "a few dozen AI" and physics, says the game would be impossible without the cloud and wouldn't have attempted it. Still dealing with unfinished hardware and software, so it's "still a little rough going at times."
seh6p.gif

jWILL253

Banned
If people haven't figured out by now that "the cloud" is being used to keep us online at all times for DRM purposes then I don't know what to say.

I love how they say its impossible to run the game without the cloud, yet are releasing a PC and 360 version. Does part of MS's moneyhat require them to bullshit the public about the cloud as well? Sad.

Also, lol@PC release but calling it exclusive.

Yeah, this is a smokescreen for DRM. I'm not buying any game that has singleplayer modes, but uses the "power of the cloud".

And nothing has changed regarding Microsoft's definition of "exclusive"

I think this says more about EA than Microsoft. I try not to be hyperbolic, but it just seems like EA is willing to pass up any potential goodwill for PlayStation owners, just to bypass second-hand sales. Microsoft may be willing to be the public face for this particular brand of DRM, but clearly EA is backing this 100%. And this won't be the last game that EA pigeonholes into this DRM, either. They are destroying the industry.

There have been numerous articles debunking Microsoft's PR claim of the cloud's power, and anyone with sense will know that using the cloud for physics calculations is bullshit. I'm not falling for it, and I hope others don't, either...

FINALBOSS

Banned
Real question: Then how does a service like Gaikai handle AI and physics. I know it's streaming but can't MS 'stream' just some of the AI that's not in the players view?

There was a thread before that could explain it better.

But it's simply not feasible to have a cloud handle those things when the machine can do them just fine.

That post you responded didn't say it was always online. The post said you need an internet connection (daily permission from ms), and if you don't have one you can't play single player games.

Seanspeed

Banned
Surviving longer is more welcoming to newcomers? I always felt that being able to kill the other player in a couple of shots were far more welcoming than having to lay 200 bullets into the other player.
Yup. Its a big part of CoD's draw. I like Halo, but never got into the multiplayer because you had to really shoot somebody a good amount and it was difficult because everybody was jumping around and getting plenty of time to find cover. I understand it makes for a higher skill ceiling, but thats certainly not something newcomers are going to necessarily enjoy.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Anyone who thinks the cloud is going to process shit like enemy AI and physics is straight up high.
But the Digital Foundry article that everyone uses as some kind of Mythbuster mentions 'ambient physics' (whatever this is) and AI as the kind of things that are actually possible with the cloud.

Petrichor

Very smart of Microsoft. I've been expecting this after Unity turned out to not be timed console-exclusive for 360/XB1.

Honestly this will likely sell better than Unity.

Sony fanboys shouldn't be upset, PS3 got Haze.

Did he get banned for this? Is saying "haze" a bannable offence now?

Grief.exe

Surviving longer is more welcoming to newcomers? I always felt that being able to kill the other player in a couple of shots were far more welcoming than having to lay 200 bullets into the other player.

You are correct.

A faster TTK (Time to Kill) makes it considerably more friendly towards new and casual players.

artist

Banned
Is PC not running windows? You guys are really sticking it to Microsoft buying it on their other platform.
The point is not about sticking it to anyone but rather getting it with the least amount of BS attached at the cheapest price with the most options and performance.

In theory, if data streaming is occurring in a game, you can predict what direction a player is going and if you can do that you can determine what physics will be required at specific points. The cloud can calculate the physics keyframes with the console filling in the gaps while using less processing power ( essentially lerping between keyframes ).

dedicated servers have been doing everything mentioned so far since the dawn of modem multiplayer.

none of this is "cloud".

jWILL253

Banned
Real question: Then how does a service like Gaikai handle AI and physics. I know it's streaming but can't MS 'stream' just some of the AI that's not in the players view?

Full game streaming is different, as Gaikai and OnLive use compression to send fully-rendered frames through an internet connection. Direct interaction AI & physics calculations, all running in real time, don't have that luxury, according to Digital Foundry.

Plus, no matter which way you do it, there will always be lag and latency, as no internet connection is 100% stable even 80% of the time...

patapuf

I am genuinely curious, can you name the plenty of games?

Most MMO's, games like Planetside 2 that rely on dedicated servers in general ect.

"The Cloud" is just software that optimises the use of server clusters. It's not something restrictred to the Xbox One nor is it something new, especially on PC.

The new thing is that MS is finally leveraging dedicated servers for MP games on live. That's a huge improvment over the P2P shit of last gen.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Did he get banned for this? Is saying "haze" a bannable offence now?

More like the tone and fuel it implies for conversation not really productive to this thread.

I'm seeing more of it in the last few weeks. People need to get their emotions under control.

Top Bottom