• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Today's dumbest thread: I bought a Wii U yesterday, kinda regreting it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, I'm in the exact opposite boat. Picked up a WiiU yesterday and am kicking myself for not having bought one sooner! Got Bayo 2 as well and that game is absolutely living up to the hype. I only got the bundle with Mario, and as expected that game is just the definition of platforming fun.

Not sure what exactly is going on with the menus in your system, but I definitely recommend giving it a few more days. Try playing Donkey Kong, that's been received really well.

Pappasman

Those games you bought alone destroy the competitions library. Trying playing them, maybe you'll stop regretting your purchase hahaha.

I regretted my impulse purchase of an xbox one, too.

But then I sat down, actually played the games I had with it and realized it's a pretty neat system.

just some advice i dunno

Noobcraft

I got caught up in the hype, the low price at retailers, the buy one get one for certain % off, I haven't open any of the games, but then i played the bayonetta 2 demo and holy shit, that game looks and plays great, but is very dificult to use the menu of the console, everything is so slow ( i have a ps4 ) the games i got worh the system are m, DK:TP, zelda WW:HD, mario k8, SSB, super M3DW, have any of you wii u owners had that feeling of just returning the system? Did you regret keeping it?

There's your problem™.

Timeaisis

I'm confused. I mean, you have the right to your opinion, but you haven't played any games yet and you already regret it?

That sounds to me like you probably shouldn't have bought it in the first place.

So I did the same thing. Bought a Wii U yesterday as well as the Best Buy deal. However I feel the exact opposite. I'm actually kicking myself for waiting this long to get one. I must have forgot about being able to use the gamepad to play and actually watch something else on the TV. That is awesome. I got the same games you did as well except Zelda and DKTP. So you can go ahead and send those on over if you have any regrets.

Besides MK8 and a lot of Smash the weekend it came out, I haven't gotten around to playing my recently purchased Wii U all that much (I did also recently purchase a new PC so I'm playing that). I have Bayonetta 2 that I still need to give a fair shake. And I want Captain Toad.

Do I regret purchasing it even though I haven't touched it really since Smash launch? Hell no. I'm excited for this system and it's ability to double as a budget tablet. I actually blame the holidays as just a busy time for everyone so I feel like I haven't had a chance to breath much less play video games.

OP, get to playing your games after the holiday season when the world is in less of a whirlwind.

Also, Zelda Wii U hype.

posting.jpg

Seriously, how can you give up on a console without even playing a game?

majik13

I still dont understand the concern of the slow menu. Sure maybe when the system launched. But I feel the menus are mostly just fine now, unless you go into the settings menu. Especially now with the quickstart menu you can avoid using the OS at all. Hell I can boot up a game or app quicker on WiiU than PS4.

You're sitting on some of the best games released in the past years, the OS is basic but completely functional. Dive in, you'll have a blast.

Its a system all about the games, judge it after playing 'em.

I own all 3 current gens and love my Wii U dearly.

Interestingly enough, I'm loving the firmware menu of the WiiU much better than the PS4's for one reason: Quick Start lets me load up a game within seconds. Yes, there's still the console boot-up, but once I pick the game it's just relaxing on the couch until the game starts.

I don't know about the XB1, but the PS4 definitely needs a "quick boot" option. I'm not a fan of 30+ seconds of "HEALTH WARNING LULULU" and other shit before I even get to pick what I want. At least make me sit through it AFTER I've chosen.

ghibli99

Weird. Once you start using the quick menu, you're gonna think everything else is slow. There are so many good games on the system too.

Real Hero

You played one demo you think is great but you want to take the console back because the menu is too slow? Is English you first language? Because I don't understand your post.

RedFury

I got caught up in the hype, the low price at retailers, the buy one get one for certain % off, I haven't open any of the games, but then i played the bayonetta 2 demo and holy shit, that game looks and plays great, but is very dificult to use the menu of the console, everything is so slow ( i have a ps4 ) the games i got worh the system are m, DK:TP, zelda WW:HD, mario k8, SSB, super M3DW, have any of you wii u owners had that feeling of just returning the system? Did you regret keeping it?
Everyone's giving you shit but I know what you mean. Didn't like it at all, hate the pad. Hate that some games don't let you use the wii u pro controller. Then I bought the pro controller player SM3D and mk8 with my son and girlfriend and just loved the hell out of it. Now its tied with ps4 for favorite console/most used(X1 being dead last). It has games you won't find anywhere else. Now there are games I'm so hyped for like splatoon, Zelda, etc. long story short I was not happy with it at first but love it now and glad I didn't sale it.

Honestly, just return the stuff you bought and play the games that are available on your easier to use system with a faster menu. Your gut's telling you that you don't want it, and you've detailed in the thread why you don't want it so just return it.

jacobeid

Banned
Interestingly enough, I'm loving the firmware menu of the WiiU much better than the PS4's for one reason: Quick Start lets me load up a game within seconds. Yes, there's still the console boot-up, but once I pick the game it's just relaxing on the couch until the game starts.

I don't know about the XB1, but the PS4 definitely needs a "quick boot" option. I'm not a fan of 30+ seconds of "HEALTH WARNING LULULU" and other shit before I even get to pick what I want. At least make me sit through it AFTER I've chosen.

Yup, quickboot was an amazing addition to the Wii U OS.

OP, I don't disagree that the Wii U is a slower console than the PS4, but you gotta play the games. Realistically how much time are you going to be spending in the menu compared to time spent in a gam?

Being a day one wiiu owner myself, the console is worth $150 at most, and honestly that's pushing it.

I couldn't disagree with this statement any more than I do.

Quick Start is one of the best console UI functions since consoles started to have UI - it let you skip the entire UI right to your game. After all, games are what making the console awesome... right?

The only things in the UI department I want Nintendo to polish are the increased startup times for web apps (Miiverse and Nintendo eShop) and the ability to skip Wii Menu in compatability mode and go straight to the Wii game.

Davey Cakes

Updating the OS makes it MUCH better. Quick boot especially is great.

At launch it was worse and even then if the games were the same as they are now the OS hassles would be worth it.

fred

Get ZombiU for cheap, play it in the dark, and make sure you have clean underwear handy.

that or wait for the new zelda.

Mario 3D World is really good too. Haven't played any new wiiU games in over a year so can't really comment on the new titles everyone raves about.

Fixed lol

Haunted

I went to a restaurant. The food was amazing but the menu had the dreaded Papyrus font.

I never went back.
So I bought a new car yesterday. It looks great, feels really nice. Then I turn on the radio, and it defaulted to a station I hate.

Went to the closest junkyard and got rid of the pos right then and there.

Kriken

While the Wii U certainly has problems, I think this is the first time I've heard someone talk about buyers remorse soley over menu speed...

Edit: can you at least list something else you don't like about it? I feel like something is missing from the OP

Unless you haven't updated the system, I'm not sure what's so awful about the menus that you want to return the system despite buying some of the best games available for the new consoles

SiDCrAzY

I bought one recently that was intended for my kids Christmas gift, but they found it and wanted to open it early so I let them.

They really enjoy it. My son is already really into video games, so I didn't doubt he would like the Wii U, but my little girl doesn't really like video games as much and she really loves the Wii U, especially SM3DW.

If the system was just for me I might be disappointed, but seeing my kids enjoy it so much makes it worth it.

Edit: I don't mean that the Wii U is only for kids, just not for me. Not until the new Zelda comes out at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom