• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Todd Howard says Bethesda is focused on finding ways to increase its output

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.videogameschronicle.com...cused-on-finding-ways-to-increase-its-output/

“You know, they do take a long time, and so I think one of the things we’re focused on here is obviously making sure they’re of the highest quality, but also finding ways to increase our output, because we don’t want to wait that long either, right. It’s never our plan, but we want to make sure we get it right.”

Howard was asked if this has resulted in Bethesda considering the possibility of partnering with external developers on, for example, more non-numbered series entries like Obsidian’s Fallout: New Vegas.

“I would say we’ve always had those conversations,” he replied. “We did a lot of things for the show. It might seem like there isn’t a big new game out, but we added content into 76 for the show. 76 has a really great map expansion that’s coming this summer with Skyline Valley.

ManaByte

Gold Member
As someone who has played Bethesda games since Arena...

no man GIF

Laptop1991

Shouldn't say no when Obsidian offered to do a new Fallout and TES singleplayer game then, they care more about their online MMO money makers now than SP, and who listens to Todd anymore lol.

Wildebeest

"Why is it that BGS had no content for the Fallout show?"

"Fallout 76 was given for free to amazon subscribers for windows and xbox and there was new content."

"What are you talking about? Are you mad? Why wasn't there any new Fallout content for the show?"

Last edited:
Can't wait for this guy to retire after TESVI, and Microsoft handing over the Fallout IP entirely to Obsidian (like Gears to Coalition and Halo to 343i) for them to continue even the numbered entries forward, let alone New Vegas 2.

simpatico

Todd needs to GTFO at this point. We no longer need him, and with tighter management we could get back to 3 year dev times. As it stands, Fallout 5 is literally 10 years away.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Todd Howard is the obvious bottleneck. There's no reason one person should the primary creative force behind Fallout, TES, and now Starfield.

Shouldn't say no when Obsidian offered to do a new Fallout and TES singleplayer game then, they care more about their online MMO money makers now than SP, and who listens to Todd anymore lol.
It just sucks how much it seemingly hurt Obsidian when Bethesda rejected another Fallout game. They have been moving sideways as a studio ever since, even after Microsoft purchased them. Avowed looks incredibly mid

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It just sucks how much it seemingly hurt Obsidian when Bethesda rejected another Fallout game. They have been moving sideways as a studio ever since, even after Microsoft purchased them. Avowed looks incredibly mid

As their own take on a game like that, outer worlds was pretty decent.

"Obviously making sure they're of the highest quality"

Season 3 Lol GIF by The Office

I can almost hear the 'obviously', like even he is trying to convince himself. Fucking gold that is.

Last edited:

Laptop1991

i have no idea what Avowed is meant to be now after seeing those recent trailers, first one years ago, i was onboard day 1, i still think Bethesda had it changed when MS bought them, BGS can't even make a patch without adding bugs now and don't fix any long term bugs with a new patch anyway lol

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
These conversations shouldve been had in 2020 when MS acquired Bethesda. I remember posting about how they are a one game at a time studio and for a studio with two massive franchises like fallout and elder scrolls waiting for 10-15 years, 1 game at a time is absolutely nuts.

MS shouldve created three teams at that studio with the infinite dollars they have and you wouldve had a fallout game AND an elder scrolls game 3.5 years in dev by now. Release one by 2025, the other by 2026 and you can then become a 3 IP studio alternating between these three IPs every year.

But nope. Wasting $70 billion on cod was more important. If anything, they shouldve looked at kotick and how he has managed three studios creating a new COD game every 3 years. He has recently had to make all 9-10 of his studios work on cod to get these games out on time every year but thats what it takes. Zenimax had 8 studios. Fuck all the b and c tier stuff they produce and have everyone aside from ID software work on ES, fallout and Starfield or whatever new IP they want to do next. No more ghostwire tokyo, deathloop and wolfenstein, go help make the next skyrim.

As their own take on a game like that, outer worlds was pretty decent.
I'm not saying they don't make decent games, they just have not progressed as a studio as I hoped after New Vegas. The Outer Worlds is a decent AA game, but you can't tell me it's worlds better than New Vegas, a game that came out 8 years prior. I thought Microsoft purchasing them would expand Obsidian's budgets and scope, but looking at Avowed, it hasn't

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm not saying they don't make decent games, they just have not progressed as a studio as I hoped after New Vegas. The Outer Worlds is a decent AA game, but you can't tell me it's worlds better than New Vegas, a game that came out 8 years prior. I thought Microsoft purchasing them would expand Obsidian's budgets and scope, but looking at Avowed, it hasn't

The thing is, for FO NV, they worked on their strengths (quests and script), other than that they used FO3's code base and didn't exactly need extra time to develop the engine or assets.

The thing is, for FO NV, they worked on their strengths (quests and script), other than that they used FO3's code base and didn't exactly need extra time to develop the engine or assets.
Fair, maybe as a studio they've always have been pretty overrated, except for the writing. The Outer Worlds had fun quests and good player choice, but everything else was below average, especially the combat

Gojiira

Banned
No chance until they ditch Gamebryo. Sorry ‘Creation Engine’….But more importantly they should focus on making a ACTUAL RPG and on the QUALITY of said RPG…Fuck Bethesda 😂

Jimmy_liv

The engine is utter dogshit.

Let's take some amazing IPs but completely hamstring them with a 2005 engine! Absolute nonsense.

Saber

Gold Member
And just like when you announced Starfield, you gonna say "the technology isn't there yet", whatever this means because they gonna still recycle their jank engime for some reason.

Jakk

They need to find a way to increase quality. And drop the Creation engine already.

Last edited:

MikeM

This guy is really on his own dick eh. Games like Starfield are resource retarded. Then there’s the Fallout 76 shit launch and the recent Fallout 4 launch which makes me question what was happening there over the last few years on that project.

MS in general needs to get their studios in check.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Step 1: Hire entire Fallout London crew.

Step 2: Support them with devs to help get the quality of lore, story and assets up.

Step 3: Release Fallout London as a paid DLC for fallout 4.

Or remake Fallout 1 or 2 as a isometric shooter/arpg with vats.

Or remake fallout 3 with a smaller studio.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I just hope starfield fumbled so ES6 can touch down big dick when it releases!!!!

Sanepar

Step 1: Hire entire Fallout London crew.

Step 2: Support them with devs to help get the quality of lore, story and assets up.

Step 3: Release Fallout London as a paid DLC for fallout 4.

Or remake Fallout 1 or 2 as a isometric shooter/arpg with vats.

Or remake fallout 3 with a smaller studio.
Fallout London probably already have a better story than Fallout 4.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Bethesda is inexcusably trash. We waited… years for fallout 4 next gen patch and not only they didn’t improve anything, they didn’t fix anything. On pc the game still crashes with physx on rtx cards and still runs above 60 while it should be capped to 60… not o lot they didn’t make it real unlocked fps, they didn’t even fix physics above bugged 60fps lock.

Dazraell

Fallout 4 next-gen patch was originally announced in 2021, releasing Creation Kit for Starfield already takes them longer than mod tools to their past games and it looks like DLC to Starfield will also mark the longest gap players had to wait between release and DLC / expansion. Great job so far Todd

how about they switch to unreal engine 5
The visual site could probably also use idTech. I would assume some id guys help(ed) out anyway here and there and vice versa. But I guess the persistent saving of stuff, ie of everything, is unique to their current system and would have to be implemented to any new engine. I don't think saving a fuckton of shit is that important, the whole persistant idea is fine and fun for excel minded people when Arena was released but not really interesting for actual modern gameplay where level adjusted drops of random disposable gear would work much easier, but changing this is probably quite fundamental to anything what their design philophies are now.

I think they made a pretty good progress with Grounded with level design and game progression. Exploration in Grounded is very well done, game nudges you forward by giving subtle environmental hints, but holds you back till you have right equipment to deal with hazards.

Whatever I have seen of Avowed, it looks like application of what they learnt with Grounded. From combat to structure of game world.

Going above and beyond New Vegas is gonna be a tough task. With level design / gameworld structure taking us there.

Come to think of it, even Bethesda is struggling to go above and beyond Skyrim. They made some progress with Starfield, but some work still remains to be done.

Top Bottom