• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Frontline revealed - F2P 100-player Battle Royale [this is not a joke]

Stuart360

Although i'm not a BR guy, BR games are huge. People saying this is behind the curve, or late, yeah just look at the player numbers for Warzone, Apex, PUBG etc.
This game will be huge.

Alebrije

Save money and get the Division 2 , you can play vs others on Dark Zones as rogue agent plus play the whole story...

Wildlands was good, Breakpoint released bad but improved...its sad this series ended as a free PvP crap.

It's a hard pass from me. There's something comforting about Fortnite's obvious detachment from reality. Warzone was the same, more gritty hellscapes? No thanks

Save money and get the Division 2 , you can play vs others on Dark Zones as rogue agent plus play the whole story...

Wildlands was good, Breakpoint released bad but improved...its sad this series ended as a free PvP crap.
You must be joking right.

Division 2 has not received any content in months and there's nothing coming until March 2022. The player base has also dropped of a cliff due to the incompetence of Massive Entertainment having ruined the game time and time again. People got pissed off and left in droves. Last time I played on PS4 you'd struggle to get a full team of 4 going in matchmaking. There's just no one playing it anymore.

Anything related to Tom Clancy with Ubisoft is a complete and utter joke.

Last edited:

Alebrije

You must be joking right.

Division 2 has not received any content in months and there's nothing coming until March 2022. The player base has also dropped of a cliff due to the incompetence of Massive Entertainment having ruined the game time and time again. People got pissed off and left in droves. Last time I played on PS4 you'd struggle to get a full team of 4 going in matchmaking. There's just no one playing it anymore.

Anything related to Tom Clancy with Ubisoft is a complete and utter joke.
No joke but at this point is better to play division 2 at its current state than this new game.

I play division often you still.can find players on PS4 or 5 even to play Raids...its not dead.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
lol@ this. You are aware that other players that are not you have been playing Rainbow 6 only for its multiplayer since the first one released, right? Siege is a great R6 game that carries the slow paced tactical shooter tradition that was basically invented by the series.

As far as Ghost Recon goes, I will try whatever they put out cause I am a Ghost Recon fan. I will play what the series offers and not try to dictate exactly what it should or should not be. If that is a return to the original form of first person, invisible guns, reload wheels and missions you can complete in 5 minutes, i'll play it. If it is Ubisofts take on Wildlands + Hunt, I will try that as well.
You have a shit tons of BR you can try that are most likely the same as this GR Frontline. Some are even from Ubi, they just have a different name. In the meantime, tactical shooter are mostly dead.
I'm obviously not hoping for a "first person, invisible guns, reload wheels" type of game. More like a mix between Wildlands and Operation Flashpoint maybe? IDK, but not this BR bullshit for sure!

As for R6... you are comparing the old formula to a 5vs5 online PVP shooter? Really? And even with that in mind, just make a real single player experience true to the genre. Then we are all happy.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I feel bad for the dev's. Lot of work when in and I know the main games like Warzone, Fornite and Apex are doing well. But I don't know if this game will move a needle. Like everyone is saying here... it's 3 years too late for this game.

PUBG was "too late" because H1Z1 peaked.
Fortnite was "too late" because PUBG peaked.
Apex Legends was "too late" because Fortnite peaked.
Blackout was "too late" because Apex Legends peaked.
Warzone was "too late" because Blackout peaked.
Naraka Bladepoint was "too late" because Warzone peaked.

Folks...it's not a fad. It never was.

I'll always be open to the possibility it could be good. I'm not really into dismissing games based on their type. Execution, content and gameplay matters.

Aion002

Im Not Surprised Nate Diaz GIF by UFC

Ubi died for me a long time ago.

CitizenZ

Banned
The joke is people expecting anything less after Breakpoint.

Yep, however, I picked up FC:new dawn for $10, played maybe an hr and said never again. No wonder their stock is in the shitter, no leadership, no writers, no one who actually works their plays games. None.

Artistic

Not really a fan of the Ghost Recon series. But it being F2P is always a good thing.

Will reserve judgement until its release.

EDMIX

Ghost Recon: Flatline ... because this game is DOA

maybe, maybe not.

I agree with folks saying they are pretty late to the whole BR trend, but making games takes time and maybe they wanted to see this development thru. I have nothing against that.

DOA.....who knows.

If it flops people can state "told you so" and fatigue of the whole BR concept etc

Yet sir.....what if (now hear me out) what if it moves monster downloads like 100 million or something wild like that? If you told me EA would put out some fucking F2P shooter that moved 100 million downloads, I would have told you BULLSHIT, yet here we are lol So who knows.

I think they are correct to shoot their shot. If it doesn't work out, I think it was worth it for them to try, if it does work out....then shit, they knew to properly develop a BR title, not rush it out etc.

Not liking a game doesn't mean you won't get new generation of gamers downloading it in droves. Its hard to say with stuff like this. Keep in mind, I still want a traditional Ghost Recon like we got with Wildlands.

junguler

Banned
if this is a sign of what will become of assassins creed gaas i think i'm done with ubisoft games, it was fun while it lasted.

Arachnid

Ghost Recon should have never moved to 3rd Person.
Tbh that's probably true, but I never got to play the original first person entries online when I was a kid. At this point, it feels like 1st person is oversaturated and 3rd person online games are rare, which is why I'd rather they stick to it and perfect it.

Also, holy shit Future Soldier online was fun as hell. Probably the best third person online experience I've ever had outside of Spies vs Mercs. Even Ghost War for Wildlands was fun, though I still think the game was mediocre overall. Breakpoint was just bad all around.

bender

What time is it?
Tbh that's probably true, but I never got to play the original first person entries online when I was a kid. At this point, it feels like 1st person is oversaturated and 3rd person online games are rare, which is why I'd rather they stick to it and perfect it.

Also, holy shit Future Soldier online was fun as hell. Probably the best third person online experience I've ever had outside of Spies vs Mercs. Even Ghost War for Wildlands was fun, though I still think the game was mediocre overall. Breakpoint was just bad all around.

I actually think a Battle Royal with the mechanics of the original titles doesn't sound half bad especially after whatever the hell Wildlands was.

Although i'm not a BR guy, BR games are huge. People saying this is behind the curve, or late, yeah just look at the player numbers for Warzone, Apex, PUBG etc.
This game will be huge.

Yea, I don't play them either but so many people on this forum have been claiming BR is dead for the last few years when it just keeps getting bigger.

ripeavocado

Banned
Get over this.

This is the future you wanted by buying mtx, passes. obsessing on games for thousands of hours and watching twitch more than playing new games.

The market has changed, companies are looking to exploit those gamers, you can't even vote with your walle anymore since to vote you have to be part of the problem.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
So this means that Ubisoft have 3 Battle Royale titles in active development... Two have Tom Clancy's name attached to it... lol jesus do they even know what each of the teams are working on?

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I am not sure why Ubisoft is trying to do here:
  • Hyper Scape: Battle royale like game with custom classes like Overwatch
  • XDefiant: Arena like game with custom classes like Call of Duty and Overwatch
  • Rainbow Six: Extraction: Co-op tactical game like Left 4 Dead and Call of Duty (Sci-fi)
  • Now this Ghost Recon: Frontline: 100 player Battle royale tactical game, more like PUBG, i guess?
I don't know.. but they look incredibly similar and their premises too.Frontline seems to use AnvilNext/Ubisoft Anvil like every other game except XDefiant (Which is SnowDrop). Perhaps that explains it?

LordCBH

• Rainbow Six: Extraction: Co-op tactical game like Left 4 Dead and Call of Duty (Sci-fi)
  • Now this Ghost Recon: Frontline: 100 player Battle royale tactical game, more like PUBG, i guess?
I don't know.. but they look incredibly similar and their premises too.Frontline seems to use AnvilNext/Ubisoft Anvil like every other game except XDefiant (Which is SnowDrop). Perhaps that explains it?

Wouldn’t be Ubisoft if they didn’t release a game into an over saturated market 3 years after if probably should’ve been. The chances of this being a success story are very very low. They’re not going to pull people away from Forknife, PUBG, war zone and Apex. This will end up being another also ran that has the side effect of pissing off ghost recon fans.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber

HyperScape was them chasing Fortnite/Overwatch.
XDefiant is just COD.
Extraction is basically just a Co-Op expansion for Siege. Even uses the Siege operators.
Frontline looks like Siege outdoors.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Wouldn’t be Ubisoft if they didn’t release a game into an over saturated market 3 years after if probably should’ve been. The chances of this being a success story are very very low. They’re not going to pull people away from Forknife, PUBG, war zone and Apex. This will end up being another also ran that has the side effect of pissing off ghost recon fans.
I was surprised it being an FPS - Ghost Recon has had games that employ this, but its not the staple of the series.

I dunno, Frontline looks really.. bland?
HyperScape was them chasing Fortnite/Overwatch.
XDefiant is just COD.
Extraction is basically just a Co-Op expansion for Siege. Even uses the Siege operators.
Frontline looks like Siege outdoors.
They have one thing in common - They aren't original. You could make a Splinter Cell tactical espionage battle royale, like Spies vs Mercs and that would actually sound more exciting because that's a unique gameplay formula.

As much as i want to like this, these yell that they lack soul. Maybe next up a Far Cry Battle Royale where you need to kill Vaas as omnipresent overlord?

Perhaps Avatar is that game since there aren't that many Avatar games yet, but still.

VN1X

Banned
So this means that Ubisoft have 3 Battle Royale titles in active development... Two have Tom Clancy's name attached to it... lol jesus do they even know what each of the teams are working on?
Three battle royale games in active development? I can only think of one other which is Hyperscape (which is dead). What are the others?

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Three battle royale games in active development? I can only think of one other which is Hyperscape (which is dead). What are the others?

There aren't three. Hyperscape (which is dead) and Frontline.

XDefiant isn't BR. It's just CoD with Clancy characters.

VN1X

Banned
There aren't three. Hyperscape (which is dead) and Frontline.

XDefiant isn't BR. It's just CoD with Clancy characters.
That's what I was thinking.

Really hope we get the XDef beta in EU soon. For all the hate Ubi is getting with these titles I sure as shit am ready for Ubi's take (or any triple-A dev for that matter) on these sorts of games. CoD has been meh, to say the least, over the past few years with the arena multiplayer side of things increasingly getting worse. Warzone was fun for about a season or two but the visual issues along with the audio fuckery makes it just too frustrating.

If Ubisoft can give us something similar but better then I'm all for it! But I guess that's not the cool or edgy thing to say so so I wont win any internet points for today I guess. :lollipop_crying:

Last edited:
Top Bottom