• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Definitive Edition - PlayStation 4 = ~60fps, Xbox One = ~30fps

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnrealEck

Developing for the lowest common denominator should mean a lot of 60fps multiplatforms on ps4 this generation.

Not always the best way to take advantage of ps4's more powerful hardware (I don't really care for 60fps in tr, for example) but the gap is there.

This is what PC gamers hate. Especially like a year or two into the new generation of console's lifetime.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
For those who think 30fps is good enough or in some cases is preferable-

tumblr_moz0rx8lzE1sqv808o1_250.gif

It is preferable in cases where you have to sacrifice resolution otherwise, for titles like TR.

TR 1080p@30>720p@60

CoD 720p@60>1080p@30.

1080p@60>all.

Are we seriously going to have these threads every time this happens?

Put the swords and shields down and get the f over it. So what. Shocker, a machine with better hardware can run the game better than a machine with lesser hardware. Stop attacking and stop defending, this shit is whack. Get it on whatever console you like. If this REALLY made a difference to all of the complainers in this 4X page thread, you would all be on high end PCs and not bothering with systems at all. That is of course besides the times you decide to slander the others for no reason other than what I assume is for your sad smug satisfaction

Ban incoming.

Saying that to EatChildren. Saying it on a Twitch stream and then again after the clarification was asked. Several gaffers attending events and seeing the game playable.

It's okay KKRT00, it's okay.

and, Eat Children has played the PS4 version and was confident it was running at 60 fps with drops here and there. hence him trying to get confirmation in the first place since it contradicted the 30 fps stories from a week or so ago.

geordiemp

The more noise internet forums and web sites make of 60 fps and better resolution games the more likely we will get them, as devs want sales.

I don't now, but the original statements of 30 fps on both for tomb raider got a some criticism on GAF in a prior thread, maybe devs changed their minds....

Take need for speed same on Xbox one and PS4 for parity at 30 fps - personally I think they left performance on the table with PS4 just for parity...

Maybe need for speed devs thought it was a good play - but I skipped it because I feel they gimped the PS4 version and that's not why I moved to next gen, so I will buy a better racing game when it comes.

Hopefully devs will not gimp Ps4 in the future - we can tell when they have made no effort if its the same as Xbone (in my opinion)

textbook buyers remorse.

With all due respect, I have zero buyers remorse, why the assumption dude? I'm a gamer, I play video games. I play video games on Xbox consoles, PlayStation consoles, and Nintendo consoles.

In a thread making it out to be that anyone who spent $500 on the Xbox threw their money away-is it that I have buyers remorse for letting my fellow gaffers with an Xbox, your purchase was still a good one? The Xbox is a great console still, whether you believe it not to be or not. Technical disparities don't make it a garbage console

SFenton

As an Xbox One owner, I'm inching closer and closer to purchasing a PS4...Makes me regret going digital on XBO cause the games I bought will just sit there, money wasted.

Why? The games are still good. I think a $400 + games switch (or addition to your Xbox) when you've already spent $500 + games is not a good idea at present. Just play the games on Xbox now, when the PS4 is cheaper, then it may be a good idea to switch or add it to your collection.

While the 60 FPS on PS4 may be nicer, having 30 FPS on Xbox isn't going to kill the game, it doesn't mean it's broken, it doesn't mean it's bad.

As an owner of both I don't care. I won't get this anyway. one box was gonna be more powerful. Its like its a surprise to people that the Xbox is inferior on both sides. Xbox went with weaker specs in order to have Kinect focused heavy OS. I love it btw. I'm glad the boxes aren't just twins. I'm glad they are differentiated. All this being said Gaf is gonna get annoying fast if every game with different resolution or frame rate is a story through the whole cycle. Its not really the thread but the incessant piling on the Xbox gets a little old. Just my opinion of course.

MMaRsu

Banned
wow... AWWWW yeah PS4 so glad I bought this. Thanks developers for taking advantage of the best platform :).

-edit-

Not that im buying this game.

Why? The games are still good. I think a $400 + games switch (or addition to your Xbox) when you've already spent $500 + games is not a good idea at present. Just play the games on Xbox now, when the PS4 is cheaper, then it may be a good idea to switch or add it to your collection.

While the 60 FPS on PS4 may be nicer, having 30 FPS on Xbox isn't going to kill the game, it doesn't mean it's broken, it doesn't mean it's bad.

and not to mention 720p compared to 1080p mostly on PS4....

I say get rid of that xboned and go PS4!

If he wants to switch wholesale, might as well do it as early as he can.

Danny 117

Wise words, thanks.

It's just a bit annoying seeing double the framerate on another console. You know?
I am excited for Titanfall / Halo 5 etc so I couldn't possibly leave the Xbox ecosystem anyway but I still am a bit bitter about the performance differences :)

Just to be clear I don't want my post being used as ammunition in the fanboy wars that are going on in this thread, just thought I'd come and give my $0.02

HORRORSHØW

As an owner of both I don't care. I won't get this anyway. one box was gonna be more powerful. Its like its a surprise to people that the Xbox is inferior on both sides. Xbox went with weaker specs in order to have Kinect focused heavy OS. I love it btw. I'm glad the boxes aren't just twins. I'm glad they are differentiated. All this being said Gaf is gonna get annoying fast if every game with different resolution or frame rate is a story through the whole cycle. Its not really the thread but the incessant piling on the Xbox gets a little old. Just my opinion of course.
Might want to take a sabbatical; it's going to be a long gen.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The more noise internet forums and web sites make of 60 fps and better resolution games the more likely we will get them, as devs want sales.

Take need for speed same on Xbox one and PS4 for parity at 30 fps - personally I think they left performance on the table with PS4 just for parity...

Maybe need for speed devs thought it was a good play - but I skipped it because I feel they gimped the PS4 version and that's not why I moved to next gen, so I will buy a better racing game when it comes.

That wasn't parity. Same resolution and frame rate, but not parity.
PS4 had HBAO instead of vanilla SSAO, less aggressive LoD, a better AA implementation, and bokeh DoF.
To my knowledge no game has reached parity. Even NBA 2K14 was an AA vs no AA situation.
I expect Rayman Legends to be the first.

trickstar

30FPS will Always Deliver Better Story-Telling than 60FPS in Games – Heres Why

All the peeps of the Gaming World have been going crazy over 30 FPS and 60 FPS standards this last year. From 60fps/1080p being thought the new Next Gen standard to Ryse downgrades. But there a point many people are missing, one which i hope to shed some light on today, the point that why 30 FPS cant and shouldn’t ever be replaced with 60fps.

30fps vs 60fps – The Magic of Story Telling Lies in Lower FPS, 30 FPS will always deliver a more “Cinematic” Experience than 60FPS.

I am of course making quite a bold claim and the burden of proof lies with me. One which i am more than willing to shoulder. Let me begin by saying that the minimum limit that our brain needs to perceive moving frames as a seamless entity ( a video) is 24 Frames Per Second. This is one of the reason 99% of Movies are shot at 24 FPS. Though this was originally due to Sound Hardware limitation of Old Cinema, it has now become the Cinematic Standard. The 24 fps of the Cinema Industry is roughly equivalent to the 30 fps standard of the Gaming Industry. When you see a video shot at 24 fps / 30 fps there are holes to fill and your brain automatically does this by literally creating stuff out of your imagination : also known as movie magic. The More frames you increase, the less you brain fills in, the less the “magic”.

Proof of Concept: Hobbit 24 FPS vs 48 FPS analogy to the 30FPS vs 60FPS Gaming Standard

So, Notice how the 48FPS video looks, Sped Up, Weird and almost too Real (in a Bad Way) ? That is called the Soap Opera Effect. Because we grew up in a world where reality tv and soap operas were shot at a higher FPS our brains are now hard wired to associate mundane reality with Higher FPS. And i think you can see now what i meant by our brain filling in the gaps at lower FPS. The Original trailer looks magical and truly “Cinematic”. Of course you might be one of the minority who actually like the sped up, but in my opinion that is probably because of the Novelty Value.

30fps vs 60fps

The more Frames Per Second we increase in our Gaming Standards the less “Magical” they will feel.
I remember when playing Alan Wake (at 30fps) that it felt unbelievably like a movie to me, the sudden attacks of darkness and the way everything was moving about, i wonder if the magic would have been there with 60FPS. If i could clearly see how everything moved – probably not. Likewise in Cinema the Smokes and Mirrors fall away with increased fps – and story telling is all about the illusion. Of course some games would actually benefit from higher frames per second like Racing Games and Fighting Games (Tekken) but Games in which story telling is a main part would do better with the 30FPS Standard.

http://wccftech.com/30fps-vs-60fps-30fps-better-story-telling-games/

can you people finally drop this "60fps is better" nonsense

yMfyYgV.jpg

It needs to be a story through the whole cycle. That it feeds console wars is an unfortunate side effect. I want to know what resolution and framerate a console game runs at before I buy it, if possible. I'm not the only one.

These threads need to keep happening to inform consumers. If you don't like the fanboy nonsense that erupts around them, you'll just have to learn to deal. We had similar threads about all the major multiplatform games last generation. I'm sure they'll stop blowing up after a while, but they need to exist.

And you don't need to read them.

Green Yoshi

At least it looks great on both consoles.
But if you have the choice, you will buy the PS4-version. There are not many arguments left for the XBO, except the exclusive games.

I was getting this on PS4 anyway but I would have preferred locked 30fps and that they added the tessellation they removed from the PC version.

PS4 had HBAO instead of vanilla SSAO, less aggressive LoD, a better AA implementation, and bokeh DoF.

And Bokeh and HBAO are expensive effects on PC, generally bringing with them double digit drops in framerate. Yes, the end results are a subtle improvement, but there isn't parity, and there's no evidence of wasted power.

This was always going to happen eventually. Some games choose different levels of effects like NFS:Rivals. Some choose different resolutions like COD and BF4. At least one game is going to have the same effects and different framerates, presuming all else is still equal in this case other than framerate.

All the peeps of the Gaming World have been going crazy over 30 FPS and 60 FPS standards this last year. From 60fps/1080p being thought the new Next Gen standard to Ryse downgrades. But there a point many people are missing, one which i hope to shed some light on today, the point that why 30 FPS cant and shouldn’t ever be replaced with 60fps.

30fps vs 60fps – The Magic of Story Telling Lies in Lower FPS, 30 FPS will always deliver a more “Cinematic” Experience than 60FPS.

I am of course making quite a bold claim and the burden of proof lies with me. One which i am more than willing to shoulder. Let me begin by saying that the minimum limit that our brain needs to perceive moving frames as a seamless entity ( a video) is 24 Frames Per Second. This is one of the reason 99% of Movies are shot at 24 FPS. Though this was originally due to Sound Hardware limitation of Old Cinema, it has now become the Cinematic Standard. The 24 fps of the Cinema Industry is roughly equivalent to the 30 fps standard of the Gaming Industry. When you see a video shot at 24 fps / 30 fps there are holes to fill and your brain automatically does this by literally creating stuff out of your imagination : also known as movie magic. The More frames you increase, the less you brain fills in, the less the “magic”.

Proof of Concept: Hobbit 24 FPS vs 48 FPS analogy to the 30FPS vs 60FPS Gaming Standard

So, Notice how the 48FPS video looks, Sped Up, Weird and almost too Real (in a Bad Way) ? That is called the Soap Opera Effect. Because we grew up in a world where reality tv and soap operas were shot at a higher FPS our brains are now hard wired to associate mundane reality with Higher FPS. And i think you can see now what i meant by our brain filling in the gaps at lower FPS. The Original trailer looks magical and truly “Cinematic”. Of course you might be one of the minority who actually like the sped up, but in my opinion that is probably because of the Novelty Value.

30fps vs 60fps

The more Frames Per Second we increase in our Gaming Standards the less “Magical” they will feel.
I remember when playing Alan Wake (at 30fps) that it felt unbelievably like a movie to me, the sudden attacks of darkness and the way everything was moving about, i wonder if the magic would have been there with 60FPS. If i could clearly see how everything moved – probably not. Likewise in Cinema the Smokes and Mirrors fall away with increased fps – and story telling is all about the illusion. Of course some games would actually benefit from higher frames per second like Racing Games and Fighting Games (Tekken) but Games in which story telling is a main part would do better with the 30FPS Standard.

The most cinematic franchise in the game industry is going to try and hit that 60fps for ps4 and xbox one are you saying this is wrong?

Eurogamer

I welcome ANY game that can reach 60fps no matter if it is cinematic or not...

I am curious how the next-gen consoles will stack up against the PC version of features. I wonder if they will use displacement as often as they did in the PC version.

With all due respect, I have zero buyers remorse, why the assumption dude? I'm a gamer, I play video games. I play video games on Xbox consoles, PlayStation consoles, and Nintendo consoles.

In a thread making it out to be that anyone who spent $500 on the Xbox threw their money away-is it that I have buyers remorse for letting my fellow gaffers with an Xbox, your purchase was still a good one? The Xbox is a great console still, whether you believe it not to be or not. Technical disparities don't make it a garbage console

Perhaps. But say you own both and you have a choice between the one that plays at 60fps vs the one at 30fps for the same price. Which would you buy? Fact is you get much more for your money with a PS4. The hardware itself is better which is also reflected in the software. Sure you could argue the features of the xbox could be worth it, but it just isn't the smart consumer choice.

And some people aren't able to afford both. So those loyal xbox only buyers who thought they are buying into something at least equivalent to a ps4 especially for $100 more but to get sub par ports, it's not unreasonable to think they will have buyer's remorse.

Isn't the framerate dependent on the cpu? If so, did the xbone not have a better cpu because it was overclocked to 1.75Ghz? Or did we just underestimate PS4 cpu.

KMS

Plus, it was a launch game that was in development for a long time before they even knew final specs so had a single next gen target. They didn't have time or money to start redoing assets or make big changes in the last 6 months after a couple years of work.

Metfanant

30fps vs 60fps

Holy shit...i have no words...and im firmly in the "a solid 30fps is acceptable for next gen" crowd..

geordiemp

Wise words, thanks.

It's just a bit annoying seeing double the framerate on another console. You know?
I am excited for Titanfall / Halo 5 etc so I couldn't possibly leave the Xbox ecosystem anyway but I still am a bit bitter about the performance differences :)

Its not ammunition or fanwars - most of us just want to play the multi plat games on a console with a controller at the best possible performance and image quality.

I was upset with both consoles - would of paid more for a beast console that could do 1080 / 60 on every game without a sweat (and I don't want to play with kb/m thanks).

Last gen I bought mainly on 360 - for same reasons. Best I could do without sitting at a desk with a gaming mouse.

Joined GAF and poured over the specs and truth facts which made us go Ps4 this gen - it was not easy giving up live and that controller...

The price difference I did not care about. If Ps4 was £ 100 more would still have bought it and switched.

Isn't the framerate dependent on the cpu? If so, did the xbone not have a better cpu because it was overclocked to 1.75Ghz? Or did we just underestimate PS4 cpu.

developers have told us that the PS4's cpu has more power to leverage on gaming than the Xbox One's, even though the Xbox One has a slightly more powerful CPU. we have speculated that this is due to more of the CPU on Xbox One being reserved for Kinect and Snap, etc.

SFenton

and not to mention 720p compared to 1080p mostly on PS4....

I say get rid of that xboned and go PS4!

You do know this game is in 1080p on Xbox, right? So it was 1080p30 or 720p60 (likely)? They made the choice for graphical fidelity rather than butter-smooth. It's not 720p30. If it was... that might be more of a problem.

If he wants to switch wholesale, might as well do it as early as he can.

I think the amount of money lost probably wouldn't be worth the switch at the moment, especially if he already had a bunch of multiplats on XB1.

Wise words, thanks.

Just to be clear I don't want my post being used as ammunition in the fanboy wars that are going on in this thread, just thought I'd come and give my $0.02

Nah, I know how you feel- but that's just what's going to happen since the competition has more powerful hardware. I could say we'll see what the cloud will do but with no practical application yet, that's just grasping at straws- so for now, we deal with games that might be a little less pretty but are no less fun. :)

Good thing is devs aren't gimping the PS4 version to maintain parity with the inferior Xbox One.

In the future the gap will widen even more as devs get to grips with the PS4.

Great news for PS4 owners - 360 fanboys laughed lat gen, well the games already over this generation!

This is like a Bayonetta situation for EVERY MULTIPLATFORM GAME - hilarious and pathetic the xbox one is more expensive than the PS4!

geordiemp

developers have told us that the PS4's cpu has more power to leverage on gaming than the Xbox One's, even though the Xbox One has a slightly more powerful CPU. we have speculated that this is due to more of the CPU on Xbox One being reserved for Kinect and Snap, etc.

There was a thread on GAF about a benchmark on Ps4 which suggested Ps4 CPU could be same or higher than the Xbone - did that ever get resolved.

I saw posts claiming either 1.75 or 2 CPU speed and even an extra core being sued for games ?

SFenton

I swear if we see a lot of 60fps multiplats on PS4 I will forgo getting a PC. I really hope this trend continues.

That'd be nice, and I think it will stay like this for a while, but just like last gen where we saw res and framerate drop to maintain pretty graphics (see: Need for Speed, for example), it probably won't last the whole gen.

the resolution wars... if people are that concerned they should play it on pc at more than +120 fps. I'm getting tired of this discussion on every single game because it is a waste of everybody's time.

But you won't be able to shake "man I could be experiencing this in 60fps" especially if you know there's a difference.

For the casual xbox one owner who doesn't care or read about games on the internet, then he or she will just enjoy it for what it is. Which is I think is part of your point right?

Steroyd

In this case it was 30FPS only a couple of weeks ago, and unless this game incorporates Kinect or voice commands somehow, how is it different from the "HD Twins" era?

I think the amount of money lost probably wouldn't be worth the switch at the moment, especially if he already had a bunch of multiplats on XB1.

Again, assuming he wants to switch, not keep both, he'll end up losing more money if he waits longer. It's better to sell the console now than wait a year or two when he'll have a bigger library (which will be useless on the PS4, therefore should be sold if not all digital) and will get much less return on the console.

If he wants to keep both, might as well just wait for a price drop / good exclusive on PS4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom