• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera |OT| What Can Change The Nature of a Man?

Purkake4

Banned
This is going to hurt them a lot. If people are dropping the review scores due to poor console performance it's just... Man, In Exile, why you doin this?

Release a pristine PC version with all the backer content, get money from PC gamers ot launch a betetr performing console version with a little bit of marketing behind it and things would go SOOO much better. It's bene done before, by the likes of Divinity, and (I think don't know how it did on consoles) it worked out well.
This is also 100% predicable with inXile and them outsourcing the port. A half-assed money grab biting them in the ass would be par for the course.

Should be interesting to see how big the score differences will be with the PC version.

Ricker

"Hardly optical staging'' ? lol ;)

I dont see why a game like this would run poorly on the PS4/Pro but oh well,graphics arent whats really important in a game like this...sounds good.

ZzzZombi

Neo Member
I realize it's a spiritual successor but should one play Planescape Torment before this to get a better understanding of the universe? Or is it just the usual "there are some references here and there"?

Lister

Banned
"Hardly optical staging'' ? lol ;)

I dont see why a game like this would run poorly on the PS4/Pro but oh well,graphics arent whats really important in a game like this...sounds good.

Unity. Possibly an older version too, given that they've been workign on this for a looong time.

Garbage collection and CPU optimization are very important specially when deploying to consoles.

Anno

I realize it's a spiritual successor but should one play Planescape Torment before this to get a better understanding of the universe? Or is it just the usual "there are some references here and there"?

It's a different universe entirely so you should be good. Though you should probably play PST at some point as well.

Menome

To be honest, this is confusing me... I only played through the very beginning, but my understanding is that Jack is the class to go with for Persuasion, etc, and Nano was focused on combat 'magic'. Is that not the case?

Nano is indeed the 'Magic' class, but you can still select to boost those conversational skills at the start of the game and train them up throughout. A Jack will just start with more of an advantage in that area.

Lister

Banned

As you said, this is purely a spiritual successor. The setting isn't the same. Planescape used the Planescape D&D setting (delaing with all the various planes of existence in D&D). This uses the Numenera setting - totlaly different "world/universe".

It would still probably be a good idea to go back to Planescape: Torment when you get a chance just to see why people would want a spiritual successor in the first place.

Purkake4

Banned
Nano is indeed the 'Magic' class, but you can still select to boost those conversational skills at the start of the game and train them up throughout. A Jack will just start with more of an advantage in that area.
One thing to improve from PST is most certainly making all the class options work for interesting playthroughs.

Pilgrimzero

Been playing my beta copy for a few hours.

Really feels like PST.

The lack of combat is odd though IMO.

Made a Jack (of all trades) with Deception and Persuasion and have talked my way out of a lot of things. Maybe that's my lack of fights?

Really feels like PST.

Made a Jack (of all trades) with Deception and Persuasion and have talked my way out of a lot of things. Maybe that's my lack of fights?
Personally I consider that a plus. An RPG without combat sounds odd, but that's because they always have combat. Playing Planescape for the first time a few months ago, my only wish was that they had stripped out combat entirely because it was mostly just a frustrating roadblock between the awesome conversations and verbal action.

Conezays

I can get the PS4 version for $30 CDN shipped via Prime with the map and soundtrack or pay $80 for the PC copy with the digital versions of both. Argh.

Jamaro85

This game is one of the primary reasons I finally built a gaming rig for the first time in a decade. Gonna have to put Pillars on pause and hop straight into this one.

Lister

Banned
Is there a physicla PC copy with some sort of textile based map? That's all I need to know to switch my order.

Pretty excited about this. Is there a summary of the classes somewhere I can read up on them? OT doesn't have much! Really like the idea of a combat-lite RPG but that means the writing needs to be really and truly spot-on.

Going to be playing this all week over Horizon. As good as Horizon's reviews were, this seems far more unique and I'm buzzing for something fresh.

I've just bought it. I was waiting for some reviews but it's my most anticipated game at least until FFXII comes to steam and I'm way to hyped.

I haven't played Planetscape Torment but I loved Divinity, Pillars, and even Wasteland 2.

Let's hope it delivers.

So I just tested the early access version on my laptop, which occasionally has issues with overheating on UNITY games...

and it overheats hard. Great. Hope I'll be able to find a solution before the game gets released.

Lister

Banned
Pretty excited about this. Is there a summary of the classes somewhere I can read up on them? OT doesn't have much! Really like the idea of a combat-lite RPG but that means the writing needs to be really and truly spot-on.

Second this! Is there a wiki where we cna get some info on setting/classes/skills spells, etc?

Sarek

Going to be playing this all week over Horizon. As good as Horizon's reviews were, this seems far more unique and I'm buzzing for something fresh.

Short overviews of the 3 classes Jack, Glaive, and Nano.

KIRAKIRA

Banned
I hope the game is substantial enough to stand on its own and won't just be a nostalgia franchise cash-in, didn't play the beta either

I'm cautious and will wait for reviews, will buy on gog too for refund

So I just tested the early access version on my laptop, which occasionally has issues with overheating on UNITY games...

and it overheats hard. Great. Hope I'll be able to find a solution before the game gets released.

I assume you tried putting the settings/resolution way down? I have to play Pillars at 720p on my laptop.

I assume you tried putting the settings/resolution way down? I have to play Pillars at 720p on my laptop.

It does help a little but the problem lies mostly within the machine itself. The game performs VERY well with all the settings maxed out, it's just the laptop that overheats. I tried undervolting it(never done it before, I was kinda freaking out), and the heat output is a little better. I'll have to run some stress tests, or just leave the game on for a few hours to see how it'll perform in the long run.

Moff

Just keep in mind that you're installing the early access version. You should wait until tomorrow's update before you actually play, unless you're willing to live with early access jank.

are you sure? it doesn't say early acces or beta in steam, didn't it say that before?

are you sure? it doesn't say early acces or beta in steam, didn't it say that before?

I'm sure. The key is for the full game, but it'll automatically get upgraded at the time of release tomorrow. inXile has said as much, and has recommended that we wait. Judging by the patch notes above there are going to be some relatively significant changes to game balance tomorrow. I wish I was wrong, because I'm itching to play this game.

Moff

I'm sure. The key is for the full game, but it'll automatically get upgraded at the time of release tomorrow. inXile has said as much, and has recommended that we wait. Judging by the patch notes above there are going to be some relatively significant changes to game balance tomorrow. I wish I was wrong, because I'm itching to play this game.

I had the beta key and I thought the beta just turned into the full release

I didn't find a new key in my inexile account

but I'll just stop the download and wait, then

I had the beta key and I thought the beta just turned into the full release

I didn't find a new key in my inexile account

but I'll just stop the download and wait, then

Keep downloading. It'll probably save you additional waiting tomorrow since what you download now will just have to get patched.

The Wart

Intricate interweaving of storylines across side-quests. Challenges expectations about how RPGs are structured and how their stories are told. Example given is that one plot might task you with uncovering some information and whilst doing that, you discover something, which, reading between the lines might also link two other seemingly unrelated plotlines. Furthermore, the background of what you found might have ramifications for a third plotline and you can pick up any of these threads in any order.

Suddenly my interest level is muuuuuuch higher. The way seemingly tangential narrative threads wove together is something I don't think I've seen in any game other than PT, so if they capture that aspect of the original I will be very happy. The intricate quest structure, much more than the writing itself, is what made PT so memorable for me. It's a form of exploration gameplay I wish more developers would use. Instead of "I see that landmark in the distance, can I get to it?" it's "that lore I overheard has implications, can I act on them?".

Feeroper

Edge review summary shared in the other thread. Sounds like a Torment game

Wow, that summary from Edge makes me extremely excited! I haven't been following the development of this game since backing it on Kickstarter in order to go in fresh.

I'm especially excited about this line:

Narrative feels organic and the effect is close to a well run pen-and-paper based RPG

brian!

I feel more optimistic about this game after getting to ravel last night in planescape, like it feels pretty clear to me that my main enjoyment is just going to come from reading text haha

Ganrob

Neo Member

Really feels like PST.

From what I've seen this is intended, which I think is great.

One of the things I'm most excited about with this game is the music. Mark Morgan is a legend in my eyes, and I'm really curious to hear if he's managed to recapture the magic from the Planescape: Torment soundtrack. Judging by the early previews posted during the Kickstarter, it certainly sounded promising.

From what I've seen this is intended, which I think is great.

Yeah, I believe one of the central design goals of the game was to make it possible to complete without having to fight anyone, which is great. Make it an option.

Wow, that summary from Edge makes me extremely excited! I haven't been following the development of this game since backing it on Kickstarter in order to go in fresh.

I'm especially excited about this line:

Narrative feels organic and the effect is close to a well run pen-and-paper based RPG
Right?

"This comes at the cost of the most accessible aspects of traditional fantasy storytelling such as an obvious villain or clear stakes"

I like that line. Game like this shouldn't have clear-cut black-and-white bad guys and simple "save the world" stakes

I like that line. Game like this shouldn't have clear-cut black-and-white bad guys and simple "save the world" stakes

Indeed. The original Torment had a "bad guy", but he was kind of hidden until very late game and was hugely complex in what he represented and where he came from. Your own motivations were mostly based on self-discovery, which is certainly unique in game storytelling in this day and age.

Purkake4

Banned
Indeed. The original Torment had a "bad guy", but he was kind of hidden until very late game and was hugely complex in what he represented and where he came from. Your own motivations were mostly based on self-discovery, which is certainly unique in game storytelling in this day and age.
I agree with everything else, but the bolded bit is not really true. My understanding of it was that you are complex, what you're facing is actually not.

Does anyone have a good explanation of the character systems (stat pools, effort, edge, classes, etc.)? I realize now that having largely ignored backer updates over the years, I need to play catch-up to be ready to roll my character.

I agree with everything else, but the bolded bit is not really true. My understanding of it was that you are complex, what you're facing is actually not.

Which is ironically what makes him complex.

Admittedly, it's been many years since I played Planescape Torment to completion. My memory of its details are fuzzy.

Top Bottom