• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toukiden (Vita/PSP by Omega Force) site opens + screenshots!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Anyways this was a beta right?
Normal demo. Chance of online multiplayer being the only difference between this and the release is quite high. Well, it is an upport of a PSP game, so we shouldn't expect much tbh.

I posted this in the other thread and I was wondering if anyone that's played the demo can speak to any of this:

Thanks for posting those. This looks like Monster Hunter with an ancient Japan skin...I was hoping it would resemble Soul Sacrifice than that. I really want to like the game because the setting, weapons, and designs look great. but if that video is a good indicator of the final product, gonna have to pass.

The game seems flawed conceptually since a core component they had been advertising is cutting off the monster's limbs and that doesn't actually happen. The mechanic seems pointless if once you cut it off they just get an energy-limb thing to replace it. The guy mentioned during the video that the monster has attacks that if you get hit by it, it allows it to grow back its lost limbs. So I hope that means there will be actually limb loss and not just "cutting off" the limb to make it weaker...

Orayn

GIFs ahoy.

ibkwTf7Oi5BCOB.gif

i5YSOQlq9ZiPL.gif

iRxmVW0eo8npo.gif

ibhAE7fd1F2oAs.gif

Will gladly make more if anyone wants more.

crinale

The producer just posted the reply to survey held at BBS at Japanese PSN. He has answered that lot of issues will be addressed, notably the sluggishness.
It's a good sign that they are listening (as a matter of fact that's how God Eater series gained some respect, so it's great KT is doing the same).

Dinda

I played the Oni(?) boss fight that i missed the first time, and i have to say it was a lot of fun.
The fight was a lot harder than anything before that (how is that the same difficulty rating as that spider??) and therefore i had to use a bit more tactics and actually use those special attacks/support features.

I'm looking forward to this.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
The producer just posted the reply to survey held at BBS at Japanese PSN. He has answered that lot of issues will be addressed, notably the sluggishness.
It's a good sign that they are listening (as a matter of fact that's how God Eater series gained some respect, so it's great KT is doing the same).
Yeah, I'm guessing that's why the demo was so early. Hope they can address everyone's issues.

Cha

I played the Oni(?) boss fight that i missed the first time, and i have to say it was a lot of fun.
The fight was a lot harder than anything before that (how is that the same difficulty rating as that spider??) and therefore i had to use a bit more tactics and actually use those special attacks/support features.

I'm looking forward to this.

Wait what?! How did you fight the Oni boss? I thought the demo only lets you take on the spider thing. Guess I have to give the demo another shot.

Good to hear that KT are taking fedback and are gonna sort out the sluggishness.

Mondriaan

I played the demo for a bit yesterday and combat felt more like a slowed down version of Dynasty Warriors than a sped up version of Monster Hunter. I'm not sure how it compares to DW Strike Force since I haven't played that.

As far as I could tell, there isn't a way to sprint, and the game kind of needs it.

The basic attacks seemed to be limited mostly to choosing how much of a combo to execute before an optional finisher which varies depending on how much of the combo you perform. It's very Dynasty Warriors. I think they should have taken the Gods Eater route and borrowed more from the MH battle system.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Nice screens!

The team at Omega Force has been talking about changes they've made thanks to player feedback over the last month through Twitter. Looks like the early demo was more of a 'beta'.

Holmes

I hope the changes are for the better, then. Didn't play the demo, but developers responding to player feedback is always a plus.

crinale

Since so many users reported the sluggishness, KT will now distribute the "patch" for the demo.
Also, there will be another beta (besides the PSP demo) for Vita that works like SS demo. That is, you can carry over progress into the retail version.

Well at least KT is listening what gamers have to say, so it is a good sign i guess :D

sajj316

Since so many users reported the sluggishness, KT will now distribute the "patch" for the demo.
Also, there will be another beta (besides the PSP demo) for Vita that works like SS demo. That is, you can carry over progress into the retail version.

Well at least KT is listening what gamers have to say, so it is a good sign i guess :D

If only other publishers were as loyal as KT. Still hoping for that Sigma 2+ performance patch :)

ReaperXL7

Damn this looks really cool actually, too bad it probably wont get localized though as I would love to play it. There is actuallu a few games in Japan id like to come over, this, demon gaze, Mind 0, Gods Eater 2.......hopefully Xseed can do some of them atleast.

Damn this looks really cool actually, too bad it probably wont get localized though as I would love to play it. There is actuallu a few games in Japan id like to come over, this, demon gaze, Mind 0, Gods Eater 2.......hopefully Xseed can do some of them atleast.

Koei Tecmo has been pretty good at localizing Vita games though.

Also, I am in love with the 2-D artwork for this game.

ReaperXL7

Koei Tecmo has been pretty good at localizing Vita games though.

Also, I am in love with the 2-D artwork for this game.

Ahh thats true aswell, hope they will continue but I guess it depends on how well their games have done here. DOA is so much better than I expected it to be on any handheld.

LMN

I just tried the patch demo, you can really see the improvement from the last demo. There are lots of improvement such as the interface layout, combat smoothness, game flow, and the graphic. The attack seems a lot more powerful, more effects are added when you slash the monster, while the combat feel a lot faster. There are still rooms for improvement, as I feel the combat's smoothness can be even better and there are still some minor frame-rate drop during the chaotic fight. However my impression for this patch demo is positive, the development team really listen to the player feedback. I really hope that this game will be localized to the western region =).

crinale

Well I tried out the patched version and liked it.
However, overall speed didn't increase much so that if you prefer God Eater or Soul Sacrifice over Monster Hunter because of speed, it still won't be for you.
The boss fights, though, you really need to know what you are doing or else you won't even hurt him a bit (I mean literary).

I just used long sword and I could put some instruction if it helps...

Square: Weak attack (or just attack type 1)
Triangle: Strong attack (attack type 2)
X: Dodge
O: Special attack
L: Press once for center view, hold for a second to activate lock-on
- Once locked on you can toggle through different enemies by right analog stick

R: Dash (drains stamina like MH), or cast exorcist field (important)

By holding down R button while you are standing still, various things can be done.
- You can cast self-fortifying or supporting spells to you, by holding face buttons along with R.
- You can "cleanse" the slain mob by holding down R (like carving in MH or sacrificing in SS). If you don't do it soon enough then their carcass will just disappear.
- Once your buddy is slain then a timer will appear on top of him. He has like 10 seconds before he is actually counted as beaten (3 defeats and quest fails). A remaining player can cast field upon slain buddy to revert back the timer counts. If the timer goes to zero successfully then he will revive back, with no penalty.
- If you break part of the bosses (like craws and tails), then scale comes off and the exposed part of the body becomes vulnerable, so you finally can inflict damage to the boss. However the fallen scale eventually goes back to the boss, so you must peal it off again.
To prevent it from happening you can cleanse the fallen body part (it takes like 20 seconds), so that part of the body will be vulnerable for rest of the quest. Successful cleansing grants you the extra root also.

ZeroAKA

I can deal with the slow speed if the demo is at least more difficult now. I remember the pre-patched version was a cakewalk.

crinale

The long swordsman of this game is very like to MH's long swordsman.
Just as much as Sengoku Basara is very like Samurai Warriors :D

I can deal with the slow speed if the demo is at least more difficult now. I remember the pre-patched version was a cakewalk.

If the original demo was a cakewalk for you then I donno if you find the new one challenging at all :)
I can tell you that bosses are stronger, but so are you (due to the swiftness tweaks).
At least bosses now kill your teammates much more quickly than before, if you aren't careful.

LMN

I said if you play with AI then it will be cakewalk, but if you play solo, that might not be the case.

edit: I also think that the game can also improve a bit on allowing the player to cancel their attack.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
My greatest regret about the game is that they didnt try nearly hard enough to have the 3d characters match the art style. Since we were left with the usual ω-Force (Omega Force) looking faces.

Though did enjoy the demo and look forward to the actual title coming out.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I am loving the art style of this game. Also it looks beautiful on VITA, will be 2x better on the OLED.

Is it coming to the states?

Seeing how Koei / Tecmo in general are both pretty aggressive with most of their releases for the western markets am sure this will be released in the US also. If lucky perhaps you guys will get an announcement at the E3. Seeing as how its coming out here in Japan next month.

crinale

Tried PSP demo also. It worked fine (you can NOT load it to the Vita btw).
It worked fine as is, given that it is really a PSP version.
Though if you already have a PSVita then obviously that's much better.

Top Bottom