• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trials Fusion runs at 1080/60 on PS4, 900/60 on Xbox One

Hoo-doo

Banned
Either: A. Devs didn't bother to put in any effort with the Xbox One version (like many other devs)

B. The development tools haven't matured enough and/or the devs haven't figured out how to use the ESRAM effectively

So.

A. Lazy devs
B. Inexperienced devs

Are you purposefully ignoring the huge elephant in the room, as in:

C. Poorly chosen hardware for 1080p output

Jomjom

Banned
I'm just surprised someone could make such a basic mistake when the numbers are right there in the quote they've copied and pasted.

Anyway, it's fixed now...

It was my mistake I rushed to post it and mindlessly typed 1080 and 720 because the main subject is the difference in resolution. I'm too used to typing those resolution numbers because 900 is a relatively new and still fairly rare resolution for games to run at.

No worries guys, the game is less fun at 1080p and more funz at 900p.

The screenshots I have seen don't seem that great, maybe I need to watch a video of this game to see why a racing game (really no clue) is not 1080p on the xbone

Hyb

Banned
In the meantime a game like Wolfenstein is 1080p and 60fps on the Xbox and then this game not. I smell laziness

StuBurns

Banned
Either: A. Devs didn't bother to put in any effort with the Xbox One version (like many other devs)

B. The development tools haven't matured enough and/or the devs haven't figured out how to use the ESRAM effectively
C. The eSRAM is an architectural roadblock when trying to output 1080/60 with a deferred renderer because the G-buffer can't sit on the DDR.

Begaria

How the fuck is Forza 5 1080p/60 then? :eek: I mean F5 looks a lot better than Trials after all.

I wondered that for awhile as well, until I listened to the latest IGN Unlocked Xbox podcast. Turns out Turn 10's Forza 5 was the "go to game" for testing out the tools on the Xbox One, so Turn 10 pretty much had full access right from the get go with the Xbox One and got tons of support to get the game going 1080p/60FPS.

Something to that effect, I guess.

Silky

Banned
lol wow, the Xbone fanboys are touchy.

You'll go pretty far here, champ

--

Couldn't care less about resolution. Let's hope they can manage a stable 60 on both consoles. Doubt it tho. I'd buy it on PC but I have the feeling that it'd be shitted on with Uplay nonsense

RoadHazard

Gold Member
How the fuck is Forza 5 1080p/60 then? :eek: I mean F5 looks a lot better than Trials after all.

Not really. In some ways, yes, but it's also quite a bit simpler than Trials in other ways. They had to make some serious sacrifices to get Forza running at 1080p60.

I get the impression that people feel like Trials should be easy as hell to run just because the gameplay is 2D. But the 3D engine that powers the game isn't as simple and trivial as people seem to think. Or people haven't actually seen the game and just assume it looks pretty much like the 360 titles. Hint: It doesn't.

I would say let's not let this thread devolve into yet another XB1 vs PS4 waste of time, but I guess the nature of the topic makes that inevitable.

Can we just focus more on the technical aspect of the issue? How many games do we know run at 1080/60 on XB1, I think NBA 2K14 does? That means it's certainly possible, so even if it's a bit of work to make it happen this problem could still boil down to lazy and/or inexperienced devs.

MavFan619

Banned

Isn't Trials historically a PC/360 game do you really think they would want to make concessions intentionally?

What the...

I imagine Xbox fans would be pretty damn pissed at getting a worse version of what was basically an Xbox franchise. But yeah, Trials is a game that strikes me as the sort of game that shouldn't have much problem getting 1080/60 on a toaster, never mind the Xbone.

Trials 1 and 2 were on PC. Trials HD was the third game, and it's the only game in the series that has been exclusive to Xbox 360.

And why should anyone get pissed for getting the inferior console version? It's a weaker console after all.

EDIT: Actually, all the content from Trials HD is in Trials Evolution: Gold Edition apparently. So, nothing has been exclusive on Xbox.

Jomjom

Banned
...no? It's downloadable, but how could it be considered indie?

I dunno I guess I see it as indie the same way I consider that Child of Light game to be indie. I should say made by a small team.

In any case, the resolution difference is curious, as I really doubt the Xbox One couldn't run this at 1080p, but they are making the right choice here making sure both run at a solid 60fps. Perhaps the Xbox One version also has more effects.

In the meantime a game like Wolfenstein is 1080p and 60fps on the Xbox and then this game not. I smell laziness
Eh... ID has shown technical mastery since it's inception. Requiring such talent to meet the current gen desired visual fidelity is asinine.

Atlas157

Honestly? I don't care. Unless the Xbox One looks or performs significantly worse it's the same game.

I have a PC that blows them both away, and yet I still play the Xbox One more.

So you own a PC that blows them away, yet you still play the most inferior versions? Makes no sense to me.

That's like owning a Ferrari and a Ford Fusion and using the Ford to race around a track instead of the Ferrari.

sportz103

lol wow, the Xbone fanboys are touchy.
Dwu1EVB.gif

jelly

So, everyone that isn't Microsoft are doing it wrong or don't have the skills?

Time will tell but I find that hard to believe. Underpowered, bottlenecked hardware or OS and Kinect sucking resources.

From the pages of M$ cooked book:
one part esram + two parts cloud+ pinch of 720p+ dash of secret sauce = 900p, deal with it

But seriously, wtf

Silky

Banned
So you own a PC that blows them away, yet you still play the most inferior versions? Makes no sense to me.

That's like owning a Ferrari and a Ford Fusion and using the Ford to race around a track instead of the Ferrari.

You ever play an Ubisoft game on PC?
Ever play Trials Evolution on PC?

Those two things don't have a good record on PC. Consider that.

Well yeah, I mean IdTech 5 has 60fps as mandatory, so it's not like they cant skimp out on dem frames

Hoo-doo

Banned

The gameplay remains unchanged. Calm down.

If you don't care that your game is just a bit blurry compared to the other version, you'll have just as much fun with the Xbone version.
It's the reason why that's the real story here. It's a visually uninpressive game.

I prefer relaxing on the couch and playing on my Sony Bravia. My friends play on Xbox Live and my partner can play with me.

The above are my priorities.

In real life, boasting that my chosen gaming platform can display at a higher resolution gets me nowhere.

KoopaTheCasual

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this the smaller title that had the rumor going around that the PS4 version might not even hit 1080/60fps? What's the trouble with this game? Trials is stupid awesome fun, but it's most certainly not a looker.

doesn't the ID5 engine lower the resolution dynamically to always reach 60fps or something like that?

But comparing ID to other developers and calling other developers lazy? Not fair in the least

Bunch of SONY PONYs up in here!

Not to change the subject, but where did that one come from? I was reading an article on Microsoft's cloud compute re: gaming on maybe IGN or Gamespot and the comments were filled with lots of people saying "SONY PONYs" in response to people asking legitimate technical questions (and also "fanboys"). Figured I'd ask where that came from.

Top Bottom