• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trials Fusion runs at 1080/60 on PS4, 900/60 on Xbox One

So you own a PC that blows them away, yet you still play the most inferior versions? Makes no sense to me.

That's like owning a Ferrari and a Ford Fusion and using the Ford to race around a track instead of the Ferrari.
Some people prefer to play in front of the TV where just their console is hooked up, or prefer playing some games using a controller, or play online with friends that are just found on Live or PS+.

woodypop

Dwu1EVB.gif
lol, where's this from?!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The Trials games are supposed to be intensive in terms of physics. Trials Evo according to a dev interview I think required a lot of optimization on 360 to hit their goals of framerate and response time. Also partly related to the way the open world map renders (it's a huge map and individual tracks are dynamically placed objects set up for that track).

So despite the games not looking overtly impressive there is stuff going on under the hood that's not trivial.

So the next logical question is which has the more stable framerate......

BF4 was both higher res and had a more stable framerate on PS4 versus XB1

Ghosts technically did as well although it actually suffered from higher than 60 framerates on PS4 because Infinity Ward couldn't be bothered to put a cap on it

Artorias

Banned
I would say let's not let this thread devolve into yet another XB1 vs PS4 waste of time, but I guess the nature of the topic makes that inevitable.

Can we just focus more on the technical aspect of the issue? How many games do we know run at 1080/60 on XB1, I think NBA 2K14 does? That means it's certainly possible, so even if it's a bit of work to make it happen this problem could still boil down to lazy and/or inexperienced devs.

If it was as simple as "One game was 1080p so now they all are" we wouldn't be hearing about this. Nobody is having trouble figuring out how to increase resolution, they are choosing to prioritize effects, framerate etc.

There were a handful of 1080p games last gen as well. Does that mean every game with 3d graphics had lazy devs?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this the smaller title that had the rumor going around that the PS4 version might not even hit 1080/60fps? What's the trouble with this game? Trials is stupid awesome fun, but it's most certainly not a looker.

Lots of physics based stuff and giant explosions. It can be hell on the frame rate sometimes, or at least it was on 360, especially on created tracks. Playing created tracks in Evolution multiplayer could slow the game down to a crawl at times. I'm guessing that's the biggest reason the X1 version is at 900p.

Shin-Ra

Called it:

Tear and pop-in city there. Looks dare I say sub-1080p with lots of edge shimmering, even for 1080p FXAA. Video's pretty cloudy despite the 60Mbit/sec encoding, though.

Hopefully they fixed up the performance issues.

El_Chino

Looking forward to hearing an explanation about this since there has been a few AAA multiplat titles announced to be 1080p so for Trials not to be so is odd.

Man this thread turned bad really quick.

Heh, my post (with an accurate point) made you say that but not the post I was replying to? Interesting.

I don't even bother with posts like that.
However, it kinda rubs me the wrong way to see you still using that argument when you've been proven "wrong" multiple times in other threads.
Still, carry on though.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this the smaller title that had the rumor going around that the PS4 version might not even hit 1080/60fps? What's the trouble with this game? Trials is stupid awesome fun, but it's most certainly not a looker.
Nah, that was just an error on the PlayStation webstore page that only listed 720p, I think it has since been corrected.

Also you should look at more footage of Fusion, it looks great.

Bsigg12

Looking forward to hearing an explanation about this since there has been a few AAA multiplat titles announced to be 1080p so for Trials not to be so is odd.

Man this thread turned bad really quick.

About as fast as the Sunset Overdrive thread. People are out for blood today.

Bgamer90

Banned
Can we just focus more on the technical aspect of the issue? How many games do we know run at 1080/60 on XB1, I think NBA 2K14 does? That means it's certainly possible, so even if it's a bit of work to make it happen this problem could still boil down to lazy and/or inexperienced devs.

Believe about 25 out of the 40 or so Xbox One games out right now are 1080p.

Around 10 of those games are 1080p in 60 FPS. Mainly sports and racing.

I don't even bother with posts like that.
However, it kinda rubs me the wrong way to see you still using that argument when you've been proven "wrong" multiple times in other threads.
Still, carry on though.

How I am "wrong"? There were people who bought all previous Playstation systems at a time in which there were systems (within each respective gen) that offered better looking multiplats. This is the very first gen in which the Playstation console will have the best looking multiplats.

and it's not about the resolution plebs, it's about the power...if solitaire taxes the sh*t out of your system, how do you think witcher 3 will run?

Atlas157

You ever play an Ubisoft game on PC?
Ever play Trials Evolution on PC?

Those two things don't have a good record on PC. Consider that.

I forgot that Ubisoft games run like ass on PC. I guess I blocked that fact from my mind because of the terrible time I had with Assassin's Creed III. I haven't played Trials on PC.

I prefer relaxing on the couch and playing on my Sony Bravia. My friends play on Xbox Live and my partner can play with me.

The above are my priorities.

In real life, boasting that my chosen gaming platform can display at a higher resolution gets me nowhere.

I understand the friends part.

But you can still play PC games on your couch and Bravia. It's called HDMI.

I'm genuinely curious how many people lambasting the Xbox One version actually plan on buying any version of the game.

It's all too easy to run into an Xbox One resolution thread and shout 'embarrassing'.

I'll ignore your patronising tone and answer.

I prefer the ease of use, the added media functionality and the controller when using the Xbox One.

Guymelef

Was a PSN description error.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

It looks better than many (maybe even most) PS4/XBO games released so far (not counting the extra awesome-looking exclusives). Again, I think the 2D gameplay somehow fools people into thinking the entire game engine is very simple. But that's simply not true, the graphics engine is doing some pretty nice stuff. Also, the physics engine doesn't exactly run for free.

see5harp

The Trials games are supposed to be intensive in terms of physics. Trials Evo according to a dev interview I think required a lot of optimization on 360 to hit their goals of framerate and response time. Also partly related to the way the open world map renders (it's a huge map and individual tracks are dynamically placed objects set up for that track).

So despite the games not looking overtly impressive there is stuff going on under the hood that's not trivial.

Thank you.

About as fast as the Sunset Overdrive thread. People are out for blood today.

Was there any particular reason that people started a ruckus in the SO thread? Gameplay or details or something?

I'm genuinely curious how many people lambasting the Xbox One version actually plan on buying any version of the game.

It's all too easy to run into an Xbox One resolution thread and shout 'embarrassing'.

Why would one have to be certain they'll buy a game to be curious as to the technical merits of the different versions?

Vashetti

Banned
Not to change the subject, but where did that one come from? I was reading an article on Microsoft's cloud compute re: gaming on maybe IGN or Gamespot and the comments were filled with lots of people saying "SONY PONYs" in response to people asking legitimate technical questions (and also "fanboys"). Figured I'd ask where that came from.

No idea, but it's not the most imaginative 'insult'.

Shin-Ra

lol at this bit in the article:

This has caused some fans to voice concerns over the power of the Xbox One. While both devices feature a similar processors from AMD called Jaguar, Sony’s device has 8GB of superfast RAM while the latest Xbox uses 8GB of slower, less expensive memory.
No mention of GPU, the whole APU's Jaguar!

theWB27

So you own a PC that blows them away, yet you still play the most inferior versions? Makes no sense to me.

That's like owning a Ferrari and a Ford Fusion and using the Ford to race around a track instead of the Ferrari.

But there are plenty of racers who do just that....buy a "lesser,cheaper" car and go out and race, tweak, and dump enough money into said Fusion that would probably equal a Ferrari.

I watch Top Gear, they drive insanely fast cars on a regular basis, yet they get just as much fun driving a 20,000$ car as they get driving a Bugatti.

EL CUCO

Trials Fusion hits Wednesday for the PS4, Xbox One, and Xbox 360 (and PC on April 24), and developer RedLynx promises that it runs at a smooth 60 frames per second on all of those systems. It will not, however, run at the same resolution. Ubisoft has confirmed to GamesBeat that Fusion will run at 1080p on PS4 and 900p on Xbox One. Those numbers refer to the number of horizontal lines the game is rendering for every frame of animation.
4p9eO7I.jpg

StuBurns

Banned

Even if they don't care about the game, they can care about a platform's technical limitations and performance comparisons.

PS4 pre-order on Amazon. This is embrassing for Ubi and Red Lynx. No real way to get around it, it's not like it's a particularly visually demanding title...

Yeah I don't get that argument either (this is not a master race thing) but if you have a gaming pc and prefer to game on your couch then why not hook it up to your TV?

unless the gaming pc thing is false then inventing false excuses because forum and internet and reasons.

Jomjom

Banned
Do those even exist aside from some laptop displays?

Not TVs but I've seen some 900p monitors. I used one in my office before I finally got a 1080p monitor expensed a couple days ago. I don't play console games hooked to a monitor, but I know there are quite a few that do and actually prefer that over a TV.

impact

Banned
Resolution doesn't affect gameplay.
No, but sub-native resolution is ugly and blurry to look at and I look at games I play quite a bit. I don't enjoy sub-native Vita games either for the same reason. More power to the people who don't care what their games look like or are gaming on ancient HDTVs.

Atlas157

But there are plenty of racers who do just that....buy a "lesser,cheaper" car and go out and race, tweak, and dump enough money into said Fusion that would probably equal a Ferrari.

I watch Top Gear, they drive insanely fast cars on a regular basis, yet they get just as much fun driving a 20,000$ car as they get driving a Bugatti.

I love Top Gear too, but be honest, if you're going to buy a car to race it's better to buy the Ferrari because it's built for that.

I guess I have that kind of elitist mind.

Bsigg12

Was there any particular reason that people started a ruckus in the SO thread? Gameplay or details or something?

People remembered or saw it was an Xbox One exclusive from Insomniac. It was sad really. At least here people have reason to drag the Xbox One through the streets, it can't handle a game like Trials at 1080p, Microsoft really needs to get their shit figured out with the SDK.

see5harp

Becaue it's a bitch to move my desktop tower from my office to my living room and then go into my sound settings and change the output to my video card and look for an outlet, and then look for the mini HDMI adapter and plug it into my receiver, etc. It's not the same thing as changing the input of my receiver and pressing power.

StuBurns

Banned
Even if you had a 900p TV, the console will upscale it, and your TV downscale it, so you still couldn't get per-pixel mapping.

Top Bottom