• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump expected to roll back LGBT protections in ObamaCare

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
This news got lost in the shuffle of yesterday's events. Didn't see a thread.

The Trump administration appears poised to roll back ObamaCare's anti-discrimination protections for transgender patients, a move that has activist groups girding for a fight.

A proposed rule from the Department of Health and Human Services is expected to be released in the coming weeks or months that opponents say would make it easier for doctors and hospitals to deny treatment to transgender patients and women who have had abortions.

The proposed rule is expected to roll back a controversial anti-discrimination provision buried within ObamaCare.

Religious providers say they expect the Trump administration's rule would merely reinforce their right not to provide treatment that's against their beliefs.

A sweeping 2016 final rule from the Obama administration prohibited healthcare providers and insurers who receive federal money from denying treatment or coverage to anyone based on sex, gender identity, or termination of pregnancy, among other conditions.

It also required doctors and hospitals to provide "medically necessary" services to transgender individuals, as long as those services were the same ones provided to others.

That rule was challenged in court by a group of Christian providers called the Franciscan Alliance. They argue the rule forces insurers to pay for abortions and compels doctors to perform gender transition services, even if the services are against their medical judgment.

The Alliance won that case, and a Texas district court judge issued a nationwide injunction blocking the gender identity and pregnancy termination provisions from taking effect.

Trump's HHS decided not to appeal the ruling. On Aug. 4, the Department of Justice, which is representing HHS in the lawsuit, said it was reviewing a draft proposed rule that had already cleared HHS.

It's unclear when DOJ will complete the review. Once DOJ finishes, the final step before the rule's release is a review by the Office of Management and Budget.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Like at what point are we just allowed to call evil evil and not even pretend to debate.

Both. Sides.

Ekai

Religious providers say they expect the Drumpf administration's rule would merely reinforce their right not to provide treatment that's against their beliefs.

I hate how the right wing/evangelicals have twisted "freedom of speech" to allow their twisted platforms to have a voice. Their actions are always blatantly unconstitutional but they don't give a shit. They just want a goddamn theocracy.

Like at what point are we just allowed to call evil evil and not even pretend to debate.

Both. Sides.

I've been calling them evil/subhuman for a while. There's nothing to like about Republicans, their platform or anything they stand for. They're utterly heartless and immoral down to their core. Some can change but it's not fucking worth it trying to.

Ekai

Also, from my understanding, this is just going after the T, so including LGB in the topic title makes no sense to me?

It's telling they're going after us too since we're still battling for our rights. LGB individuals on the otherhand have actually had people fighting for them for longer so it makes sense they wouldn't go after that as quickly. Gotta attack the minority who is a hot button and still not fully supported even by Dems.

Edit: to be fair, Don't have time to read the article, could be wrong

The proposed rule is expected to roll back a controversial anti-discrimination provision buried within ObamaCare.

Religious providers say they expect the Trump administration's rule would merely reinforce their right not to provide treatment that's against their beliefs.

I'd love to hear one of these pieces of shit explain exactly how providing basic medical care goes against their religion based on the patient. These people might as well rip the parable of the Good Samaritan from their bibles and wipe their asses with it.

Also, it's disgusting that an anti-discrimination provision was ever controversial.

Strike

To think, that there was ~10% of the LGBT community who voted for this guy...absolutely deplorable.
caitlyn-jenner.jpg
They cared more about their money.

Ecto311

Not trying to shit on the parade in here but what is the end game for us - us being the common sense center to liberal people - or just people in general with no affiliation? We all understand trump is a shit person and doing shit things but what does a new post daily do? There should be a pinned master post of all the fucked up things he does.

My job has me in peoples homes all over my area. I talk to people personally daily about all kinds of things and 99% of people want the same thing politically. I can't understand how this dickhead just does this and other shit again and again and gets away with it. The marches and protests do almost nothing it feels like. Maybe they do and I don't see it but how is it that Obama does very minimal shit things compared to this guy and it was Satans work. This fuckin guy keeps on truckin with almost no substantial backlash or stopping.

Is everyone waiting for the next voting season to get more power in the opposition? I have never seen so many bad headlines about a guy it's like if you do well in your job and fuck up once then it's a big deal but if you just shit the bed daily then it's such a disaster you can't target any one thing to go after and fire the person.

Sorry to hijack this post in particular but I don't wanna make another post about trumps shit.

kirblar

Also, from my understanding, this is just going after the T, so including LGB in the topic title makes no sense to me?

It's telling they're going after us too since we're still battling for our rights. LGB individuals on the otherhand have actually had people fighting for them for longer so it makes sense they wouldn't go after that as quickly. Gotta attack the minority who is a hot button and still not fully supported even by Dems.

Edit: to be fair, Don't have time to read the article, could be wrong
It's good to have them inextricably linked as a show of solidarity tho.

Good thing we voted for secretly pro-LGBT Trump who was really just saying that stuff to get elected, come on you guys.

Unlike Hillary Clinton who personally drafted Don't Ask Don't Tell which banned gays from serving openly in the military, something they could totally do before the Clintons came in.

Fuck this country and its stupid fucking voters.

I hope Caitlyn's family lost all respect for her.

A proposed rule from the Department of Health and Human Services is expected to be released in the coming weeks or months that opponents say would make it easier for doctors and hospitals to deny treatment to transgender patients and women who have had abortions.

The war on women continues. But [white] men are being oppressed.

The large percentage of white women that voted for this buffoon should be given a name for the history books.

NoRéN

I hate how the right wing/evangelicals have twisted "freedom of speech" to allow their twisted platforms to have a voice. Their actions are always blatantly unconstitutional but they don't give a shit. They just want a goddamn theocracy.

I've been calling them evil/subhuman for a while. There's nothing to like about Republicans, their platform or anything they stand for. They're utterly heartless and immoral down to their core. Some can change but it's not fucking worth it trying to.
Same. This is no time for holding back.

The other sure as fuck isn't being polite.

cameron

This is Trump Pence 2016. White Nationalists for Trump. Religious Fundies for Pence. #MAGA

A sweeping 2016 final rule from the Obama administration prohibited healthcare providers and insurers who receive federal money from denying treatment or coverage to anyone based on sex, gender identity, or termination of pregnancy, among other conditions.
Jesus wouldn't have approved, I guess.

The Log Cabin Republicans, which represent gay conservatives, said in an email the group "has always been opposed to discrimination against the LGBT community - in healthcare, or otherwise. We have made that position abundantly clear to HHS."
Neat.

Each and every day I wonder how satisfied people are that they stayed home and/or wouldn't pull the lever to stop this man. Gonna be a long four to eight years, you wanted progress and we are going way back.

13ruce

Banned
Jesus Christ he really hates the LBGT community and Obama.

If he wins again in 4 years America is hopeless. Nearly every single day Trump does something extreme or hilariously dumb. No day nearly without any Trump news or crazy changes.

RinsFury

Trump will ruin decades worth of progress. The entire country is already falling to shit and it has only been six months, thinking about how awful things will be in four years if he's still around makes me want to throw up.

Kevin

I feel like Trump is singling out everyone who is not rich, old and white and trying to take everything possible from these individuals. I feel like none of this should be legal. He's harassing people at this point.

Top Bottom