• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Refuses to Support Paul Ryan, McCain, in Primary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Via the Washington Post:

Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump is refusing to back House Speaker Paul D. Ryan in his upcoming primary election, saying in an interview Tuesday that he is “not quite there yet” in endorsing his party’s top-ranking elected official.

Trump also said he was not supporting Sen. John McCain in his primary in Arizona, and he singled out Sen. Kelly Ayotte as a weak and disloyal leader in New Hampshire, a state whose presidential primary Trump won handily.

With Ryan’s Wisconsin primary scheduled for next Tuesday, Trump praised the House speaker’s underdog opponent, Paul Nehlen, for running “a very good campaign.” Trump said that Ryan has sought his endorsement, but that as of now he is only “giving it very serious consideration.”

“I like Paul, but these are horrible times for our country,” Trump said. “We need very strong leadership. We need very, very strong leadership. And I’m just not quite there yet. I’m not quite there yet.”

Trump’s refusal to back Ryan represents an extraordinary breach of political decorum and signals that the Republican Party remains divided two weeks after a national convention in Cleveland staged to showcase party unity.

The link is the text. Click it to read the rest of the article.

More quotes:

“[Ryan’s] opponent is a big fan of what I’m saying — big fan,” Trump said. “His opponent, who’s running a very good campaign, obviously, I’ve heard — his opponent sent me a very scholarly and well thought out letter yesterday and all I did was say thank you very much for your very nice letter. You saw my statement.”

Trump continued, “I don’t know Kelly Ayotte. I know she’s given me no support — zero support — and yet I’m leading her in the polls. I’m doing very well in New Hampshire. We need loyal people in this country. We need fighters in this country. We don’t need weak people. We have enough of them. We need fighters in this country. But Kelly Ayotte has given me zero support, and I’m doing great in New Hampshire.”

UPDATE!! Ryan doesn't want his endorsement:

Co4uQ-iWIAAbohK.jpg:large

RPGCrazied

Doesn't matter, they will stay silent and let Trump mock them and make them look like fools. Which is really sad to see.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Ah yes keep biting that hand that feeds you. You really do reap what you sow, it's even more embarrasing for John McCain.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Sometimes i want to beleive Trump is just trolling for laughs, i wish that was it :(

JABEE

I'm wondering what this means for McCain pulling support. If he did this now, would it be spun as a result of Trump not endorsing him.

TS-08

Isn't "I'm not there yet" basically what Ryan said when asked if he supported Trump a few months back?

Aselith

Ah yes keep biting that hand that feeds you. You really do reap what you sow, it's even more embarrasing for John McCain.

They don't though. They already tried to deep six him and eventually fell in line because they knew it wouldn't do any good. Unfortunately, he shanghaied their party. At this point, he feeds them if anything and he's demonstrating that now.

chefbags

You think things can't get any better, then they do. The gift that keeps on giving.

He's a reincarnation of Father Christmas with the exception that he's not a good person and he's a fucking asshole. All he gives is coal mix with shit to give out to everyone who spites him for even one second.

On Ryan's Republican Primary opponent:

Nehlen came to Trump’s defense for his comments about the Khans, for which Trump thanked him in a tweet Monday night. Trump’s shout-out sparked speculation that he might endorse Nehlen.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
This guy HAS to be a master level plant/troll right? RIGHT? Please I don't know what to think anymore.

Isn't "I'm not there yet" basically what Ryan said when asked if he supported Trump a few months back?

I think so or Ryan and the GOP leadership made some kind of comment about Trump having to clean up his act. Anyway this just another in a massive line of things that proves how petty Trump is. There is no master plan by the Clintons here, this is who Trump really is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom