• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump speaks at Values Voter Summit ; pledges homophobic views will not be silenced

Eusis

Apparently; it's quite bizarre. It's most demonstrable whenever the subject of impeachment comes up. Just look for any thread on the subject or when it comes up in discussion at all and there will always be someone saying something about Mike Pence being President somehow being even worse than Trump, primarily due to this issue. That's a common refrain. Pence would be an even worse President than Trump because he legit hates the gays and Trump doesn't. People in both parties are completely convinced for whatever reason that Trump simply doesn't care either way for LGBT issues.

Even with this, I expect to continue to see that stuff about Pence being worse, because most people won't ever find out about this and for whatever reason remaining convinced that Trump is completely indifferent to the subject.
Sad thing is I wouldn't be surprised if he still personally doesn't care, but it's the people who hate LGBT that will cheer him on, and to get his high he'll pander to them. It's a rock and a hard place there since he's all too willing to dump anyone not 100% behind him. There really was no winning with that party, though maybe some would've tried to be sorta decent.

Sad thing is I wouldn't be surprised if he still personally doesn't care, but it's the people who hate LGBT that will cheer him on, and to get his high he'll pander to them. It's a rock and a hard place there since he's all too willing to dump anyone not 100% behind him. There really was no winning with that party, though maybe some would've tried to be sorta decent.
Seems very unlikely to me. Trump has all kinds of ways of appealing to his base. Like, he's not at a loss for stupid rally ideas or stupid things to say on Twitter or whatever. He doesn't have to specifically even touch this subject at all, particularly when it's not even a winning issue among Republicans at this point from my understanding.

There's no reason to even go there at all, to say anything about this. It's completely unnecessary, even from a pandering perspective (particularly since the people that are still in his base don't really give a fuck what he says and will mindlessly just eat up whatever he says regardless simply cause it's him saying it, so it's really not like he has to go out of his way to appeal to them or keep them happy). He has to go completely out of his way to even bother with these people. That being the case, that he's even touching something like this at all and going anywhere NEAR an organization like the FRC makes it pretty clear how he feels to me.

Gunblade47

Neo Member
"Yeah but there's absolutely no way he could really be as bad as he says he'll be! While Clinton totally can!"

Didnt see this on gaf personally but the mental gymnastics some people on the internet had to do in order to distance themselves from the "alt-right" was downright stupefying.

"The alt-right are the real progressives" still takes the cake tho. Almost a year later and I still cant wrap my brain around how they could possibly reach that conclusion.

Eusis

There was an entire thread about how he's the most progressive.

Shit was funny.
I wonder how many were going "he's probably the least awful but we still need Hillary to win" and how many were going "things will be OK if he's elected just so long as it's not Hillary that wins!" Because I feel I was the former during the primaries, or at least that he was such a chaotic disruptive force that they'd be left in tatters, but he was progressively just "he's possibly the worst choice of the Republicans BECAUSE of a lack of political savvy combined with that temperament and personality" and stupid mother fuckers still voted him in.
Seems very unlikely to me. Trump has all kinds of ways of appealing to his base. Like, he's not at a loss for stupid rally ideas or stupid things to say on Twitter or whatever. He doesn't have to specifically even touch this subject at all, particularly when it's not even a winning issue among Republicans at this point from my understanding.

There's no reason to even go there at all, to say anything about this. It's completely unnecessary, even from a pandering perspective (particularly since the people that are still in his base don't really give a fuck what he says and will mindlessly just eat up whatever he says regardless simply cause it's him saying it, so it's really not like he has to go out of his way to appeal to them or keep them happy). He has to go completely out of his way to even bother with these people. That being the case, that he's even touching something like this at all and going anywhere NEAR an organization like the FRC makes it pretty clear how he feels to me.
I still wonder because he could have been convinced to take this stand by those around him (hello Pence, Evangelical advisors) whereas if he never bothered trying to run he wouldn't care. But really it doesn't matter, I'm splitting hairs anyway, he's fully on their side and that's terrible for us.

Abhor

I don't have the words for this pathetic excuse of a human being. Save this and bring it up again come election time. Maybe people won't be as deluded into voting against themselves. Nah, probably just hopeful thinking.

Christ, is the rest of that shitty book as poorly written as the back cover?

What's the matter, they couldn't find a Nazi/homophobe asshole that can write coherent prose?

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
But GAF told me on November 10 that he's actually progressive on LGBT issues.

Remember?

5818b1d9150000d80453109b.jpeg

His facial expression says it all.

chadtwo

Tbh, I don't think Trump has any big spite for the community. At least not any more than being an old man who thinks it's weird and unnatural. It's more that he knows it appeals to his voting base. That said, it doesn't matter whether you have big spite when the damage is still the same.

Yeah, I suspect this is the case.

Garlador

Ok that's nice and all but if you're still voting for GOP leaders and supporting the party, everything you just said doesn't mean shit and you're 100% part of the problem. The age of fence sitting and diagnosing a well known problem is over; you're either with them or with us.

Cool your jets. I may be Republican, but, no, I did not vote for Trump or any Republican last election.

There are good Republican candidates out there. However, the current climate is pushing for more extremist and volatile ones instead. I'd say every single individual Trump campaigned against was more qualified and better tempered, but the Republican people chose the blithering orange idiot.

I couldn't support that, or anyone who supported him, so I didn't.

But I'm still conservative. My values are still pretty consistent. But the party itself changed into something wholly unrecognizable to me. Or, rather, the scales fell from my eyes and I realized the "values" they espouse are ones they merely pay lip service to in order to get a vote, then immediately discard.

Cool your jets. I may be Republican, but, no, I did not vote for Trump or any Republican last election.

There are good Republican candidates out there. However, the current climate is pushing for more extremist and volatile ones instead. I'd say every single individual Trump campaigned against was more qualified and better tempered, but the Republican people chose the blithering orange idiot.

But I'm still conservative. My values are still pretty consistent. But the party itself changed into something wholly unrecognizable to me. Or, rather, the scales fell from my eyes and I realized the "values" they espouse are ones they merely pay lip service to in order to get a vote, then immediately discard.

You support a party that pushes LGBT bigotry.

I'm sick of caring about conservative feelings. So what, you don't support them now, but you'll support them later once Trump and the teapartiers are gone? You'll still be supporting bigots, and sounds like you've supported bigots in the past.

RPGCrazied

So, no media talked about this at ALL? But of course. I expected better from our actual gay reporters like Anderson Cooper, Don Lemon, and Rachel Maddow though.

Oh well, fuck you, got mine?

I feel like this part of the story isn't getting enough attention either:

Steve Scalise, the House Majority Whip, is also set to speak. Four months ago, Republican congressman Steve Scalise had his life saved by a heroic lesbian police officer.

Now fully recovered from the attack, one of Scalise's first actions on his return to action will be to give a speech to the Family Research Council next week.

Tony Perkins, the FRC's president, said that Scalise's return to health was not down to the brave actions of a lesbian police officer, but ”an answer to prayer."

”His fighting spirit in overcoming the odds is a source of inspiration for those who are fighting for the heart and soul of our nation and our culture."

The amount of fucking mental gymnastics these people do just to deny giving an LGBT person any praise or credit is absolutely disgusting. And the fact that Scalise is essentially going, "Whelp, thanks for saving my life. Now go fuck yourself." is abhorrent.

As a slight aside, stuff like this (among many, many, many others) is why people like Jimmy Dore piss me right the fuck off. He told progressives and independents to vote third party even in swing states, because he wanted to "send a message." I hope he enjoyed jerking himself off day in and day out at the expense of people who are actually vulnerable in the US.

You want to know what the "party of Lincoln" truly is?

Call me Ishmael, I guess.

I'm glad there's voters like yourself out there. I bet we'd disagree on a lot of things--passionately. But I bet you wouldn't try to take affordable healthcare from my family.

But what I really agonize over is the quote from Lincoln's Cooper Union speech: "Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events."

Despite the in-apt comparison, and some hyperbole, watching modern Conservatism is very much what Fire Eaters look like ~160 years past the Civil War.

Fisty

The amount of fucking mental gymnastics these people do just to deny giving an LGBT person any praise or credit is absolutely disgusting. And the fact that Scalise is essentially going, "Whelp, thanks for saving my life. Now go fuck yourself." is abhorrent.

As a slight aside, stuff like this (among many, many, many others) is why people like Jimmy Dore piss me right the fuck off. He told progressives and independents to vote third party even in swing states, because he wanted to "send a message." I hope he enjoyed jerking himself off day in and day out at the expense of people who are actually vulnerable in the US.

"It wasn't the heroic person providing first aid and emergency services, it was the mutterings directed at a fictional man in the sky that saved his life"

Sounds about right

i-Lo

A nation filled with degenerate ingrates in positions of power. Republican Party has become cancerous to America & Amerikkka loves them.

At this juncture, I’m not certain that’s even possible.

Setting aside the social issues – paramount as they are – the GOP as a whole, along with the Libertarians, simply do not grasp how flawed their deregulatory mindset is as it relates to the economy. They are hopelessly invested in the notion of privatization and trickle-down theory despite empirical data that demonstrates these corporate-friendly ideologies do not work and rather lead to economic instability, inequality and eventually, complete financial meltdown.

Some of these fools still think Ayn Rand was an actual scholar and legitimate economic theorist instead of the racist hack she clearly was.

The GOP are also, without exception, anti-union, which is really the only bulwark we have against the greedy practices of large conglomerates who blow through their workforce like tissue.

And I’m also not of the belief that any GOP candidate can untangle themselves or their party from the Evangelical Right, which they tethered themselves to decades ago and have exploited as one of their most effective voting bases. This cluster is largely comprised of people who are narrow, stupid, and uneducated; literal-minded bible-thumping bigots who see the face of Satan in anything that isn’t white, straight and Christian.

Please don’t take any of this as a direct attack on you but honestly, I don’t see how the Republicans have any chance of saving themselves unless they stage a massive coup and reinvent what it means to be member of their party.

Trump is the coalescence of everything the GOP has done and propagated for the last several decades.

I am saying happy holidays to everyone I see this year. Which is correct because to me Happy Holidays serves two purposes.

1: casting a wide net to include all religious holidays that take place at the time

2: many of the people you meet you may not see again for some time and regardless of religion they will likely observe multiple holidays before you see them again. A Christian on November 20th will observe thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years in that next month and a half. You know like the Bing Crosby song says “ May the calendar keep bringing/Happy Holidays to you”?

NH Apache

Banned
Wht are the major outlets not picking this up? I've only seen it on small Indy sources.

That handout may be the most disgusting thing I've read.

RPGCrazied

Wht are the major outlets not picking this up? I've only seen it on small Indy sources.

That handout may be the most disgusting thing I've read.

Got me. We even have gay reporters on CNN/MSNBC that stayed silent. Pretty telling though that even they can't speak out.

I don't really understand that pamphlet. My "gay" ass is only going to do the thing with "gay" dicks. I don't see how I'm a danger to straight people because I won't be able to pass any STDs or anything to them if I don't have sex with them!

Mohonky

But gay and lesbian couples account for far fewer instances of abortion clinic visitations.

Checkmate Republicans......

There’s a certain segment of voters out there.

They have gay friends and family and coworkers.
They might sing along to Gaga.
Dance with Ellen.
Laugh at Will & Grace.

And when asked, they’ll profess their love for their gay familiars, along with the idea that they should be treated equally under the law.

But once that voting booth curtain closes, they’ll vote for a party that still, in 2017, pushes in this direction. At the state level, Republicans will pass various anti-gay laws. And at the federal level, Republicans will name and confirm judges who will approve of these laws when they are challenged in court.

This segment of voters, despite their expressed sentiment, have decided that the harm done unto their gay loved ones is acceptable. And that’s how this happens. These fake allies say all the right things, but when the time comes to pick a side, these voters act in a way that betrays their kind expressions of support.

This is very sad, but very true. And it even happens on the same lgbtq community, people there that voted trump not realizing about their own internalized homophobia...

Sometimes it feels like everyday is harder to live with the pressure of hate. I feel for the world's people of colour and lgbtq community, that have to suffer just because the way they were born. This is really a putrefact world.

jmood88

You support a party that pushes LGBT bigotry.

I'm sick of caring about conservative feelings. So what, you don't support them now, but you'll support them later once Trump and the teapartiers are gone? You'll still be supporting bigots, and sounds like you've supported bigots in the past.
He also supported a party that, prior to Trump, worked to explicitly disenfranchise black voters. I'm not letting any republican try to claim that Trump is the reason their party is shitty. They sat around and let racism and homophobia run rampant long before Trump or the Tea Party came around.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
The only time cared about LGBT rights is when he could use them to spout racist shit about Muslims.

So, Racism > Homophobia.

But he's both. His VP is the poster child for 'religious rights'

rjinaz

Can we not push away reasonable Republicans like Garlador, whom seems to despise as much as anybody?

The Republican party is always going to exist, well at least in our lifetimes. As such, the ideal would be that they become more Evan McMullen-esque as opposed to the extreme that they are now. More actual moderate/conservative/center and not the hate group out to destroy minorities and the poor that they are now

jmood88

Can we not push away reasonable Republicans like Garlador, whom seems to despise as much as anybody?

The Republican party is always going to exist, well at least in our lifetimes. As such, the ideal would be that they become more Evan McMullen-esque as opposed to the extreme that they are now. More actual moderate/conservative/center and not the hate group out to destroy minorities and the poor that they are now
"Reasonable" republicans were perfectly cool with open racism and homophobia from their representatives.

He also supported a party that, prior to Trump, worked to explicitly disenfranchise black voters. I'm not letting any republican try to claim that Trump is the reason their party is shitty. They sat around and let racism and homophobia run rampant long before Trump or the Tea Party came around.

Yup. Trump isn’t some invasive foreign body, he’s the id of the party come to light.

Oh please, there's probably like 5 republicans speaking against this stuff, the rest are all awfully complicit of all the hate, homophobia and racism. Fuck them all.

He might be okay with the bolded

What say you, Garlador?

(and they've always set out to fuck over minorities though, so what's actually changed other than less dog whistling, because it's now a megaphone)

Malvolio

This entire presidency is a result of the "fuck you, got mine" disease that infects the United States. Who cares that the majority of the country has shitty public education? Fuck you, got mine. Who cares that the majority of the country has terrible healthcare? Fuck you, got mine. Who cares that minorities don't have equality? Fuck you, got mine. Who cares if LGBT people lose their freedoms? Fuck you, got mine.

The worse things get, the more people will cling to the little they have. The promise of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness is dead. The goal now is to get more than everyone else and use it to ensure they can't do the same. Freedom to the highest bidder.

HylianTom

Banned
Oh please, there's probably like 5 republicans speaking against this stuff, the rest are all awfully complicit of all the hate, homophobia and racism. Fuck them all.
A vote for any Republican, at the federal level especially, is a vote for this.

You might think that someone like Susan Collins is moderate and reasonable.. but in the end, she’s a vote for Mitch McConnell as Majority Leader, a vote for the whole coterie of nutjobs as committee chairs, and a vote for more lifetime-appointed Scalia clones.

When you’re someone who lives in the GOP’s crosshairs, the kind sentiment behind a vote doesn’t matter. In the end, if someone votes Republican, they’re saying that this is all an acceptable part of the package deal.

rjinaz

I don't disagree with what anybody said that responded to me. Thinking more about this my thought process was the reality that the party isn't going anywhere. I never said somebody that votes Republican is a humanitarian.

Maybe the real reality though that I don't want to face is that the Republicans like McMullin are such a small minority that they will never be able to influence the party and move it back center. That America will always have two parties of extreme right and Left/Center-Left. That scares the shit out of me though.

Maybe it's time for Republicans that consider themselves decent people to abandon the party altogether if they still want to be considered decent? If Trump wasn't enough to get people to raise their eyebrows then nothing will. The party is lost.

Still, I'd like to think that people that hate Trump but still share the more fiscal ideals and still identify as Republican aren't necessarily bad people, they just are holding on to something and refusing to let go. However if they are still voting to put Republicans in power after the Trump age, then they are part of the problem.

jmood88

I don't disagree with what anybody said that responded to me. Thinking more about this my thought process was the reality that the party isn't going anywhere. I never said somebody that votes Republican is a humanitarian.

Maybe the real reality though that I don't want to face is that the Republicans like McMullin are such a small minority that they will never be able to influence the party and move it back center. That America will always have two parties of extreme right and Left/Center-Left. That scares the shit out of me though.

Maybe it's time for Republicans that consider themselves decent people to abandon the party altogether if they still want to be considered decent? If Trump wasn't enough to get people to raise their eyebrows then nothing will. The party is lost.

Still, I'd like to think that people that hate Trump but still share the more fiscal ideals and still identify as Republican aren't necessarily bad people, they just are holding on to something and refusing to let go. However if they are still voting to put Republicans in power after the Trump age, then they are part of the problem.
Evan McMullin speaks out against Trump but where was he when his fellow republicans in Texas, Alabama, North Carolina, and Wisconsin were disenfranchising black voters? No republican deserves praise for badmouthing Trump when they were silent about all the heinous bullshit their party carried out for generations. Too many liberals are being way too quick to label these assholes "moderates" or "reasonable" when they're the very same people who helped create the environment that allowed Trump to win.

rjinaz

Evan McMullin speaks out against Trump but where was he when his fellow republicans in Texas, Alabama, North Carolina, and Wisconsin were disenfranchising black voters? No republican deserves praise for badmouthing Trump when they were silent about all the heinous bullshit their party carried out for generations. Too many liberals are being way too quick to label these assholes "moderates" or "reasonable" when they're the very same people who helped create the environment that allowed Trump to win.

That's a fair question, and the thread was specifically about minorities being targeted which is something, well, does any Republican speak out against? My guess is no. So Trump is maybe too much for them, he takes things too far, maybe wears the bigotry too openly, but at the heart of it, Trump and even McMullin share the same core beliefs it's just their approach is different.

I'm definitely changing my mind, I'm glad my views were challenged in this thread. I chimed in because I've seen Garlador post many many times, and he seems to be pretty liberal leaning when it comes to social issues. Guess my questions would be to Republicans that hate Trump and post on GAF what specifically keeps you identifying as Republican at this point, and do you still plan to vote for Republicans?

Rayis

I wonder how Log Cabin Republicans are justifying this, or someone like that Sassy Gay Republican asshole on Twitter

Anyone reasonable would not be a Republican in 2017

Adnor

Banned
Why is “gay” in quotes?

Also, he’s just pandering to the little base he has left. They love him for the Supreme Court pick and he knows it. He needed some validation after...well everything. Fuck this guy.
It makes it look more alien and therefore evil, which is what they want.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Gay is also in quotes because the classic narrative of homophobes is that "gay" isn't real. You can't be gay; the only sexual orientation is heterosexual. (Except for lesbians, they are hot.)

Therefore gay is a lie; there are only heterosexual men engaging in deviant sexual practices against the will of God.

Top Bottom