• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump speaks at Values Voter Summit ; pledges homophobic views will not be silenced

RPGCrazied

Doubt it, but lets see if our gay reporters talk about this tonight. Anderson Cooper, Don Lemon and Rachel Maddow, I'm looking at you.

This is an attack on YOU.

Razmos

The topic title needs to be changed to reflect the abhorrent bigotry being spewed by these sewer dwellers. This is the face of evil.
Yeah I don't think the title really reflects how bad this news is, as a non American I don't even know what the Values Voters thing is

Garlador

I keep trying to tell all the milquetoast commenters that complain about GAF lumping all GOoPers together: If you still identify as Conservative/ GOP after the past 40 years of fuckery, you're either a moron or you're such an emotional coward that you'll let your views on taxes or abortion, or guns blind you to the fact that you're making common cause with fascist cockroaches.

I was born in a conservative family, registered as a Republican, and voted Republican for over a decade.

I still believe in the tenants of conservatism for many things. I'm Pro-Life, for instance, and also religious. Etc. etc.

But I'm also not INSANE. A large portion of the Republican leaders we have are bigots, misogynists, and racists, and I have no stomach for it. The insane thing to me is "Conservative/GOP" individuals (of whom it's growing to encompass the WHOLE party) making things political that shouldn't be. They should be things any DECENT individual should stand behind, regardless of politics.

Equality for all people, regardless of race, religion, or creed. That shouldn't be "political". That's our foundation.

And yet, yeah, we've enough people in positions of power, and their supporters endorsing them, that want a nation exclusively of their comfort and security. They fear "the other" and their politicians, FOX News, and circle of peers feeds them the phobias of scary "others" - be they big, scary black men, the homosexual agenda, the murderous Islamic aliens here to impose Sharia Law, the drug-dealing and murdering Mexican immigrants taking our women and jobs, etc.

You want to know what the "party of Lincoln" truly is? Afraid to death of their own shadow, and of every individual out there that doesn't think like them, act like them, believe like them, pray like them, eat like them, breed like them, speak like them... Because they've been conditioned for years and years to fear that change, and embrace the "conservatism" that the status quo is always better than change, that a "negative peace" is better than even attempting a "positive change".

I spent twenty years of my life like that. I'm probably a Republican-in-name-only at this point, an alien in my own party and estranged from my own family.

But I can only blame them for that. As I told my mother after she voted for Trump, "Mom, he's everything you raised me not to be, and everything our Bible instructs me to avoid."

Call me Ishmael, I guess.

Yeah I don't think the title really reflects how bad this news is, as a non American I don't even know what the Values Voters thing is

As a non American I've come to learn that most political things with 'Values'/Family/Liberty/Research in the name are things to shake my head at.

cameron

The Family Research Council are a symptom of an untreated disease. And as with all religious fundie groups, they have their own internal problems with sexual assault and child abuse.

“I am honoured and thrilled to be the first sitting president to address this gathering of friends, so many friends,” Trump explained.
Congrats on being the first, Dotard.

He added: “I pledged that in a Trump administration, our heritage would be cherished, protected and defended like you have never seen before.”

Trump praised a bombshell directive that gave the go-ahead for religious businesses to discriminate against LGBT people.

The ruling effectively permits anti-LGBT discrimination across the US.

He told the cheering crowds: “To protect religious liberty, including protecting groups like this one, I signed a new executive action in a beautiful ceremony in the White House on our national day of prayer.
POTUS wants to preserve and protect a hate group's "heritage" and "religious liberty." #MAGA

The topic title needs to be changed to reflect the abhorrent bigotry being spewed by these sewer dwellers. This is the face of evil.
Maybe "Family Research Council" or "anti-LGBT hate group" in the title for clarity/exposure.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I was born in a conservative family, registered as a Republican, and voted Republican for over a decade.

I still believe in the tenants of conservatism for many things. I'm Pro-Life, for instance, and also religious. Etc. etc.

But I'm also not INSANE. A large portion of the Republican leaders we have are bigots, misogynists, and racists, and I have no stomach for it. The insane thing to me is "Conservative/GOP" individuals (of whom it's growing to encompass the WHOLE party) making things political that shouldn't be. They should be things any DECENT individual should stand behind, regardless of politics.

Equality for all people, regardless of race, religion, or creed. That shouldn't be "political". That's our foundation.

And yet, yeah, we've enough people in positions of power, and their supporters endorsing them, that want a nation exclusively of their comfort and security. They fear "the other" and their politicians, FOX News, and circle of peers feeds them the phobias of scary "others" - be they big, scary black men, the homosexual agenda, the murderous Islamic aliens here to impose Sharia Law, the drug-dealing and murdering Mexican immigrants taking our women and jobs, etc.

You want to know what the "party of Lincoln" truly is? Afraid to death of their own shadow, and of every individual out there that doesn't think like them, act like them, believe like them, pray like them, eat like them, breed like them, speak like them... Because they've been conditioned for years and years to fear that change, and embrace the "conservatism" that the status quo is always better than change, that a "negative peace" is better than even attempting a "positive change".

I spent twenty years of my life like that. I'm probably a Republican-in-name-only at this point, an alien in my own party and estranged from my own family.

But I can only blame them for that. As I told my mother after she voted for Trump, "Mom, he's everything you raised me not to be, and everything our Bible instructs me to avoid."

Thank you. I always say that to friends here in Australia despairing when whichever pathetic conservative is on tv spreading FUD about us. I just explain they’re scared, simple minded people who can’t deal with reality, so they lash out at anything that threatens their safe space.

images

Did someone on this forum make that shirt? I don't remember.

I posted a while back that I saw a customer at my work with this very same shirt (the one posted at the time had more color and looked more "cutesy" and had something else for T)

Slacker

"Hello value voters! Remember last year when you said merry Christmas and someone punched you in the stomach and threw you in prison?!? Not this year you sons of bitches! Now let's pray or whatever. Anyone got Two Corinthians handy?"

Darknight

The closet racists at work at spewing their shitty views in the office. They try to whisper but I can hear it. They are saying being homosexual is a mental issue and that people who do not feel they "belong" in their bodies or are of the opposite sex are just making shit up.

God damn I hate these fucks. Yes they are older white men.

Mathieran

Banned

That's a great way to put it. Too many conservatives like to talk about morals but they certainly have no problem casting their's aside to further their agenda. Thanks for being brave and standing up to your family.

As a semi religious person is infuriates me seeing people ignore everything that we are told to follow.

I posted a while back that I saw a customer at my work with this very same shirt (the one posted at the time had more color and looked more "cutesy" and had something else for T)
There was a guy a while back who made a thread asking how cool his passive aggressive asshole shirt was, and it was a variant of this one.

Conservatives are afraid of the "punch Nazis" talk because they don't want to be punched themselves. I wish these religious nuts were as persecuted as they fake-believe they are.

Zomba13

Especially after the dupe thread that did mention that got closed and just linked to this one. I totally get not wanting dupe threads, especially about trump's shit, but it had a much better title and got across why this is a disgusting and hateful thing.

Maybe "Family Research Council" or "anti-LGBT hate group" in the title for clarity/exposure.

Especially after the dupe thread that did mention that got closed and just linked to this one. I totally get not wanting dupe threads, especially about trump's shit, but it had a much better title and got across why this is a disgusting and hateful thing.
Mods, please.

gaugebozo

I'd really like to know her response. Speaking from experience, she probably dodged it. Hillary's emails, yada yada...

mike6467

I'd really like to know her response. Speaking from experience, she probably dodged it. Hillary's emails, yada yada...

My Mom's in the same camp. That's exactly what happened. I went for the "fruits of the spirit" passage because she raised me off that mantra. Of course when it was brought up the only thing that got said was "well Hillary was so much worse".

Edit: The worst thing about dealing with this kind of shit is the inability of Trump's supporters to criticize anything he does. It doesn't matter how bad it is, they will not say an unkind word. "Hillary was worse" is the ultimate non-sequitur.

chaos789

Banned
Why is it the most outspoken and supposed religious people I know are also the biggest hypocrites and assholes I know. I do not mind if people are religious as long as it contributes to making them a better person not worse. If your religion is teaching you to be a worse person through racial or sexual hatred or anything else, then there is something wrong with your religion.

Holy shit.

I'm just going to say this;

Trump is like a fucking hokey ass wrestling character when it comes to playing a crowd. He actually should have made a career as a wrestling manager rather than a politician.

"Man am I glad to be in (insert name of city/county/state here) today!"

"USA! USA!"

"Lock her up!"

"MAGA!!!"

"We're bringing back Christmas!!!"

"We don't worship government, we worship God!"

He believes in nothing he says, all he believes in is the acceptance of those who cheer him to say these things.

The USA is quite simply the most fucked up nation on the planet. It's currently steam rolling towards it's historical nadir and once it has arrived will quite simply be the most despised nation on Earth. How long it will take to recover is anyone's guess.

AHindD

The USA is quite simply the most fucked up nation on the planet. It's currently steam rolling towards it's historical nadir and once it has arrived will quite simply be the most despised nation on Earth. How long it will take to recover is anyone's guess.

The hilarious thing is that they voted, and have accepted this, because nothing will come from this, just like the millions of other batshit insane things he has done.

JJMorris

The hilarious thing is that they voted, and have accepted this, because nothing will come from this, just like the millions of other batshit insane things he has done.

The majority voted for Hillary. Let's not remove facts. The issue is with the nonvoters, on top of those who voted for this man.

For three Republican controlled branches, they haven't done as much damage as they could have (already too much). People are definitely doing their best to stop GOP. It's insulting to act like they're hasn't been a rise in protests since this individual was elected.

Game-Biz

I don’t understand how we ended up here
I didn't either until recently when I started going on Facebook again. I probably spent hours going through friend's Facebook pages in horror. Just an incredible amount of racist, bigoted and downright ignorant views. The worst of which came from a fucking correctional officer, someone who used to be a mentally stable person. It's disturbing to see how so many people are filled with hate.

Derwind

America didn't just take a step backwards electing this piece of shit, it did a 5k sprint in the opposite fucking direction.

royalan

I don’t understand how we ended up here

This post is an example of how we got here.

This insistent surprise and denial of what's been blatantly obvious until it's literally in the White House and bludgeoning you over the face.

Nobody who has paid even slight attention to the type of shit Republicans have been spewing for the last few decades to win elections should be at all surprised by how we got here.

Nobody who has That Uncle, or That Cousin, or That Friend, or Dear Old Dad who says "uncomfortable" things at the dinner table that everyone just chuckles at and ignores should be surprised by how we get here.

It's time to stop being surprised.

I don't understand how we ended up here

Religion only works if you have other people around you to reinforce the exact same views. Having the internet means that people no longer live in small self contained groups and communities where this occurs. Everyone is now part of the entire world, thousands and thousands of different religions and ways of thinking and living.

There are two ways you can deal with that. One is to give up on religion as clearly an outdated idea, the other way is to fight tooth and nail against anyone who is different so you can once again get a bubble of like minded people around you. The problem is that bubble now has to encompass the whole world.

In America, they are winning that fight. Through controlling the government, schools and education, health services and the media (not traditional, online) religious groups are fighting back hard to force everyone they can to think the same way.

Top Bottom