• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump to Appoint SCOTUS pick next week

Status
Not open for further replies.

studyguy

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...trump-mitch-mcconnell-supreme-court/96988374/

From an initial list of 21 potential nominees, Trump appears to be looking seriously at these three federal appeals court judges:

• Neil Gorsuch, Colorado, 10th Circuit: At 49 the youngest of the group, Gorsuch is the most natural replacement among them for the late Justice Antonin Scalia. He is a strict adherent of "originalism," Scalia’s belief that the Constitution should be interpreted based on the intent of the Founders. He also is a distinctive writer, as Scalia was.

Gorsuch has the type of academic credentials common to high court justices: Columbia, Harvard Law, even Oxford. He clerked for Justices Byron White and Anthony Kennedy, then practiced law in Washington and did a stint at the Justice Department.

• William Pryor, Alabama, 11th Circuit: He’s been the conservatives’ justice-in-waiting for years, and at 54, the former Alabama attorney general comes straight out of central casting. Likely in his corner: U.S. attorney general-designate Jeff Sessions, who preceded Pryor as Alabama’s top law enforcement official.

But Pryor is controversial: He once criticized the Supreme Court’s 1973 decision in Roe v. Wade, which legalized abortion, as “the worst abomination of constitutional law in our history.”

• Thomas Hardiman, Pennsylvania, 3rd Circuit: A dark horse among the finalists, Hardiman, 51, isn’t unfamiliar to Trump. He sits on the same U.S. Court of Appeals for the 3rd Circuit as the president’s sister, Maryanne Trump Barry.

Hardiman’s career as a judge is one of law and order. He has maintained a solidly conservative record on issues involving guns, searches, police officers and prison guards – more so than Scalia, who often sided with criminal defendants against overzealous prosecutors. In that sense, Hardiman is much like Justice Samuel Alito, who came from the same appeals court.

Just a reminder that SCOTUS appointment is for life and that we have 3 sitting justices at or around 80 years old that may have to retire within the next term or so.

Current Bench:
Code:
Anthony Kennedy 

Clarence Thomas 

Ruth Bader Ginsburg 

Stephen Breyer

John G. Roberts 

Samuel A. Alito, Jr. 

Sonia Sotomayor 

Elena Kagan 

It doesn't matter who the republicans pick the Dems are going to filibuster it until the GOP picks someone who isn't godawful (which isn't going to happen) or the republicans remove the filibuster (which will, provided the United States is still around and still a democracy in a decade, which is unlikely right now) bite them in the ass.

It can't get any worse than Scalia, just have to hope no one else retires or dies.

Now we will find out whether Schumer will play chicken with McConnell over filibusters. I guess if it's gonna get blown up we should know ASAP so we can begin making alternate plans for legislative gridlock.

jstripes

Banned
What? Judge Judy's not in there?

He is a strict adherent of "originalism," Scalia’s belief that the Constitution should be interpreted based on the intent of the Founders.
A strict interpretation of a document written hundreds of years ago? Could we call that Scalia Law?

UCBooties

"In Latveria we have no lawyers. Only corpses."

"No one is innocent in Latveria. There are the guilty, and those whose crimes have not yet been discovered."

Or, for a more Russian flavor in honor of the President:

"If you have done nothing wrong, why are you on trial Comrade?"

Kusagari

Any Democrat that votes for these guys should be blacklisted(I know Manchin will).

Force them to nuke the filibuster if they want these guys on the court.

adj_noun

I think Trump will choose a moderate voice as an olive branch to those who opposed him in this contentious election and to further foster the unity and healing this country needs.

*snicker*

Any Democrat that votes for these guys should be blacklisted(I know Manchin will).

Force them to nuke the filibuster if they want these guys on the court.
Manchin is basically a Republican at this point, embarrassing full desperation mode to keep his seat.

Toxi

Banned
Another reason to hate anyone who didn't vote for Clinton when they could have.

I imagine this is what it feels like when you learn you'll have to pass a kidney stone.

Frankly with the allegation that there's 10 million illegal votes out there, I think it's best for America to hold off on appointing another justice until the next presidential election.

I just don't think it's the right time.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
But Pryor is controversial: He once criticized the Supreme Court’s 1973 decision in Roe v. Wade, which legalized abortion, as “the worst abomination of constitutional law in our history.”

this is the one

Manchin is basically a Republican at this point, embarrassing full desperation mode to keep his seat.

I don't like Manchin, but he's probably about as good as you can reasonably hope for from West Virginia, and it's better to get someone who'll sometimes support Democratic efforts than have a Republican in his seat (barring the Democrats having a large enough majority to not need him at all)

As for the position, I wonder if they'll bypass Pryor to avoid the headache and go with someone like Gorsuch instead. He's big on the "religious liberty" BS, which is fun...

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I think Trump will choose a moderate voice as an olive branch to those who opposed him in this contentious election and to further foster the unity and healing this country needs.

*snicker*

So he won't go with resurrected Hitler and stick with Charles Manson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom