• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senate confirms Gorsuch to replace Scalia on Supreme Court

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
Note that this is historic because it happened only thanks to the nuclear option

Neil Gorsuch confirmed to the Supreme Court - CNN
https://apple.news/AH4-NFfWsSry2CcMmR77tQg
The court has been operating with eight justices since the sudden death in February 2016 of Justice Antonin Scalia and a protracted fight over President Barack Obama's nominee, Judge Merrick Garland.

Senate Republicans refused to consider Garland's nomination until after the November election, and Trump's surprise win meant a conservative would succeed Scalia.

Gorsuch's confirmation essentially continues the ideological balance that existed before Scalia's death, with four conservatives, four liberals and Justice Anthony Kennedy as a swing vote between the blocs. At the same time, several justices are over 70 years of age, and retirement rumors surrounding Kennedy could give Trump other opportunities during his presidency to add to the conservative bloc.
"

RDreamer

Every day this man sits on the court is another reminder how awful Republicans are and to never even entertain the notion of voting for those treasonous scumbags.

jimmypython

this is just absurd. 2/3 votes rule for an apolitical institute by design can be this easily overturned.

After more than 200 years, dramatic political reform has to happen in this country.

jelly

Why is America set up in such awful ways?

Would it be great if the people were fair, nice and logical but in reality they aren't in many cases.

ezekial45

Banned
GOP is made up of a bunch of fucking crooks. Fuck every single person that voted for this.

Vile creatures, all of them.

Mimosa97

Why didn't Obama push harder against this shit ? Why didn't he cause a riot ?

I feel like he just accepted it and played nice. I love the guy but why was he so nice towards congress and the hateful republicans who tried everything to ruin his legacy ?

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Well, at least no more ties.

If RBG dies in the next few years, I am going to hate her for not retiring under Obama.

Stolen seat, but no one will care about this because liberals don't realize how important the SC actually is. Independent redistricting and voting rights could change the landscape of elections forever and yet people don't care.

I feel like he just accepted it and played nice. I love the guy but why was he so nice towards congress and the hateful republicans who tried everything to ruin his legacy ?

Because he was 100% sure Clinton was going to win

Probably didn't feel the urgency because he thought Hillary was a shoe in

DOWN

Banned

The good king had too much faith that people would understand his attempt to play nice and expose that the GOP are the ones playing dirty, but people didn't care and his hope for intervention was lost

What the hell did you want him to do when congress controlled the situation? Jesus...

In the short-term, this means we're basically in a slightly better situation than we were when Scalia was presiding. However, we should have been in an amazing situation going into the Trump administration by having a 5-to-4 liberal-leaning court. By far, this is the greatest victory for Republicans in the past year and a half. Long-term, we're super fucking hosed if any of the liberal judges retire or pass away with Trump in office.

Mimosa97

Because he was 100% sure Clinton was going to win

Probably didn't feel the urgency because he thought Hillary was a shoe in

Terrible gamble.

The good king had too much faith that people would understand his attempt to play nice and expose that the GOP are the ones playing dirty, but people didn't care and his hope for intervention was lost

Yup. He was too good of a man. He thought most people were decent and honest and ethical like him and michelle. He didn't realize that most people are scum.

Conservatives keep saying that there was multiple other times in history where the senate blocked a supreme court nominee in an election year which is why them blocking garland was okay, is that true?

He couldn't do anything because Democrats were the minority. It's not that hard to understand.

Xe4

Banned
I really hope the next democrat in office puts the most liberal ass judge on the bench possible. Any democratic senate should not allow any republicans onto the bench if there is a GOP in power. As far as I'm concerned the Supreme Court is now a war for this country's future, and Republica's cheated to win.

collige

Banned
Terrible gamble.

Yup. He was too good of a man. He thought most people were decent and honest and ethical like him and michelle. He didn't realize that most people are scum.

No amount of him "pushing" would be able to force the GOP to confirm or even consider Garland since they have no shame about breaking every part of government. This is really on Hillary for losing the election (though even if she won it would theoretically be possible for a GOP majority to keep the seat empty for 4+ years)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom