• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump to Propose Deep Cuts to Anti-Poverty Programs and Medicaid

Maybe people will vote more responsibly next time.

Don't count on it. Go take a look at lists for poorest states in the country. They're consistently and overwhelmingly blood red states. On the flipside, the richest states are blue. Gee, I wonder why.

Here's what I learned from growing up poor in Appalachia. You can't eat dignity. This will lead to a lot of human suffering and possibly a "lost" generation of children that don't have the basics to succeed.

Beartruck

Here's what I learned from growing up poor in Appalachia. You can't eat dignity. This will lead to a lot of human suffering and possibly a "lost" generation of children that don't have the basics to succeed.
Possibly? Were already there with most millenials.

Don't count on it. Go take a look at lists for poorest states in the country. They're consistently and overwhelmingly blood red states. On the flipside, the richest states are blue. Gee, I wonder why.

It gets bad enough, they might. Different times, but one could look to 1928 and 1932.

adj_noun

“This budget continues to reveal President Trump’s true colors: His populist campaign rhetoric was just a Trojan horse to execute long-held, hard-right policies that benefit the ultra-wealthy at the expense of the middle class,” Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer said in a statement Sunday.

It was a Trojan horse in the sense that the Greeks were marching outside the horse, banging their swords on their shields and screaming "THIS HORSE IS A TRAP! WE WILL INVADE YOUR CITY!"

Then the economically anxious Trojans opened the gates anyway.

Dehnus

He is liked by the saudis though

Ofcourse he is, if anybody is good in medieval: torture, contempt for the poor and treatment of nobility king or church; it's the Saudis.

Nobody likes them, but they have to get along with them as the Saudis control all the holy places. But ask a Arab from other Arabian countries what they feel about the Saudi clan (especially the older Arabs) and you'll be surprised what you hear.

The Saudi demolished a lot of holy places they didn't like and build sky scrapers on top of them. Aisha's grave being one of them. They also love demolishing ancient things that aren't agreeing with the Saudi version of "Islam".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destruction_of_early_Islamic_heritage_sites_in_Saudi_Arabia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demolition_of_al-Baqi
http://muslimobserver.com/the-grave-of-aisha/
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...grave-risks-new-muslim-division-30557589.html

If you want to know where ISIS and Al Queda get their shit from? Look at Saudi Arabia. The destruction of the Buddha statues in Afghanistan? Yup, Saudi Influence/Wahabi influence. I mean not even Iran destroys stuff like that!

What's worse, is that there are people that are going to be directly affected by this and will still vote for him again, or any other Republican that agrees with this deep cut.

But the ones most affected by this will still support him
Say him and the Republican party are doing a great job and will vote to continue their slow deaths

But the ones most affected by this will still support him
Say him and the Republican party are doing a great job and will vote to continue their slow deaths

I believe there are some people that follow them so blindly that their local rep that backed this could come to their house, kick their dog and still vote for them.

It gets bad enough, they might. Different times, but one could look to 1928 and 1932.

They're going to need to stop falling for fear. Fear of minorities. Fear of the LGBT community. Fear of a particular religion. Because those are what Republicans go to when they need to get elected. You'll have people int he south, the poorest region in the country, that'll vote for a candidate just because they back keeping up confederacy bullshit.

EYEL1NER

I could have sworn that I read in an article just last week about him cutting some funds to various things something along the lines of "Trump has held firm to his campaign commitment not to cut Medicaid funds (since being elected he has backtracked on his promise not to touch Medicare though)." And now here he is cutting Medicaid? It would almost be funny, this whole Trump presidency, if it weren't so sad how stupid this country is for allowing it to happen.

They're going to need to stop falling for fear. Fear of minorities. Fear of the LGBT community. Fear of a particular religion. Because those are what Republicans go to when they need to get elected. You'll have people int he south, the poorest region in the country, that'll vote for a candidate just because they back keeping up confederacy bullshit.

No lies detected.

gabbo

If they could without consequence, dont you think they would have already?

Yes, but the boil the frog slowly approach gets other people on board who would otherwise protest such moves because it doesn't affect them until later on down the road, and they can move on to worse cuts in the mean time

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member

Not just that. A lot of people who live in these poor red states actually hate people on government assistance. They see them as free loaders which they "the working man" are paying for. So even though these people are barely making it with a shitty job they get angry when they see someone who isn't working and still making it. I hear that shit all the time.

The GOP Congress routinely ignored a President that was a Democrat.

The GOP Congress may be less likely ignore a GOP President. Not saying he will get everything he wishes for, but its not a comparable situation.
Just earlier this month the congress completely ignored the last set of cuts proposed by Trump. I think these are going nowhere also. http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/01/trump-budget-winners-losers-237844

Losers

Trump: The then-president-elect asked GOP lawmakers to punt on funding the government last December so he could put his imprint on the federal budget. But when he finally barged into the debate, Congress largely ignored his requests — rebuffing his proposed $18 billion in cuts to domestic programs and giving him only half of the $30 billion increase in defense spending he sought. And while Trump got nearly $2 billion in new border security funds, not a penny of it will go to perhaps his biggest priority, construction of a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border.​

Dehnus

Not just that. A lot of people who live in these poor red states actually hate people on government assistance. They see them as free loaders which they "the working man" are paying for. So even though these people are barely making it with a shitty job they get angry when they see someone who isn't working and still making it. I hear that shit all the time.

Jup, the classic divide and conquer.

Plus the ancient: "You keep em dumb, I'll keep em poor", agreement between the Mega-capitalist and the preacher helps the GOP along as well.

besada

Banned
Trump's budget is too extreme even for the Republicans and is likely DOA, but it's amazing how heavily it's targeted at the people who voted for him.

9 out of the 10 top states with the highest number of people on disability voted for Trump.
8 out of the top 10 states withe the highest number of food stamp users voted for Trump.
More than half of the top ten medicaid states voted for Trump.
Nearly all of the states (minus California) that most heavily use farm subsidies voted for Trump.

You expect a vicious budget from Republicans, but this is an assault on their own base as much as it's an attack on minorities (which it also is).

In places like West Virginia, where nearly ten percent of the working population is on disability, and nearly forty percent are on medicaid/CHIP, people would starve over this.

numble

Just earlier this month the congress completely ignored the last set of cuts proposed by Trump. I think these are going nowhere also. http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/01/trump-budget-winners-losers-237844

Losers

Trump: The then-president-elect asked GOP lawmakers to punt on funding the government last December so he could put his imprint on the federal budget. But when he finally barged into the debate, Congress largely ignored his requests — rebuffing his proposed $18 billion in cuts to domestic programs and giving him only half of the $30 billion increase in defense spending he sought. And while Trump got nearly $2 billion in new border security funds, not a penny of it will go to perhaps his biggest priority, construction of a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border.​

It was just a CR and they wanted to avoid a government shutdown before they tackled health care and tax cuts. They needed Democratic votes for the CR, unless they wanted to use reconciliation to pass that budget and then they could not use reconciliation for the Obamacare repeal.

The GOP is very willing to bundle funding cuts with tax cuts to get a budget through reconciliation, which would not need Democratic votes. And funding cuts will be needed if they want to get their huge tax cuts through reconciliation.

BriGuy

Poverty won't be an issue if all the poor people starve to death or die of disease. That's called thinking outside of the box.

As they themselves draw on government assistance.

magnetic

Already been said but we need a gif too.

COetzQs.gif

Full video since it's so fitting:

https://youtu.be/owI7DOeO_yg

At least Mitchell and Webb sketches are getting a lot of use in the last couple of months, along with the famous "are we the baddies?"

gcubed

Outside of the Medicaid stuff. All that other stuff is money that flows back into the economy. Welfare is money that is used to consume. Food stamps are a currency used to consume. This is removing money from consumer spending and actively hurts businesses. This kind of shit hurts the economy.

We can pay money to corn farmers not to grow corn which could have been used to feed others, but can't pay money to poor people to spend that money on foods from businesses. Shits so backwards.

But the economy is also going to expand at record pace in order to make any of this possible! We are going to remove 1T of direct economic spending and it's only going to grow faster!

It was just a CR and they wanted to avoid a government shutdown before they tackled health care and tax cuts. They needed Democratic votes for the CR, unless they wanted to use reconciliation to pass that budget and then they could not use reconciliation for the Obamacare repeal.

The GOP is very willing to bundle funding cuts with tax cuts to get a budget through reconciliation, which would not need Democratic votes. And funding cuts will be needed if they want to get their huge tax cuts through reconciliation.

They can't get a simple majority in the Senate either.

numble

They can't get a simple majority in the Senate either.

They don't need a simple majority in the Senate, they just need 50 votes. I'm pretty sure there are at least 50 GOP senators in love with the idea of tax cuts and recognizing they need to cut spending to get tax cuts through reconciliation.

Zolo

They don't need a simple majority in the Senate, they just need 50 votes. I'm pretty sure there are at least 50 GOP senators in love with the idea of tax cuts and recognizing they need to cut spending to get tax cuts through reconciliation.

Also that now is their best shot since there'll be more pressure next year along with the possibility of democrats retaking the house in next year elections.

gcubed

Nope, they would lose more than 4 trying to pass this. I understand the need to stay motivated, but this isn't going to pass. Neither is education defending.

If Dems were able to magically pull off Montana and GA house wins not a single damn thing will pass the house until after 2018

numble

Also that now is their best shot since there'll be more pressure next year along with the possibility of democrats retaking the house in next year elections.

Nope, they would lose more than 4 trying to pass this. I understand the need to stay motivated, but this isn't going to pass. Neither is education defending.

If Dems were able to magically pull off Montana and GA house wins not a single damn thing will pass the house until after 2018

They aren't going to pass exactly what Trump proposed, of course. But they will pass tax cuts through reconciliation. And it will require spending cuts. The larger the tax cut the larger the spending cut.

Tax cuts also get them votes, by the way. Even if it is just putting $300 in voters pocket. See Bush's tax rebates. Their logic (even if it may not ring true) will be that they will win the next elections because they put money in the voters pocket via tax cuts.

Mulvaney is a ghoul.

”We need folks to work. We need people to go to work. If you're on food stamps, and you're able-bodied, we need you to go to work. If you're on disability insurance and you're not supposed to be, we need you to work," he added. ”There's a dignity to work, and there's a necessity to work."

”If I had sort of a subtitle for this budget, it would be the ‘Taxpayer First' budget," Mulvaney said Monday. ”This is, I think, the first time in a long time that an administration has written a budget through the eyes of the people who are actually paying the taxes. So often in Washington I think we look only on the recipient side — how does the budget affect those who either receive or don't receive benefits?"

Jesus fucking christ. This is incredibly disgusting.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/22/trump-budget-cut-social-programs-238696

shiba5

"dignity of work" is almost as corrupt as giving confidential info from our allies to Russia.

That line made my blood boil. I have debilitating nerve damage in my leg and get SS Disability. I would if I could, but I can't work. So their solution is to cut my disability payments which I guess is supposed to make me pull on my bootstraps. Then my shitty predicament will just magically disappear. Or, you know, not.

I also love this:
"Defenders say that the budget will help all Americans by lifting economic growth. While economists on both sides of the aisle are skeptical about whether the imagined growth rate of 3 percent or above is possible, White House budget director Mick Mulvaney dismissed that skepticism in a briefing with reporters on Monday.

“That assumes a pessimism about America — about the economy, about its people, about its culture — that we're simply refusing to accept,” Mulvaney said."

That's right. Fuck the fact that it won't work - you just gotta FEEL that it will make America great. Trumpism in a nutshell.

And most of these folks are ones that voted for him that will be hurt the most too.

SMH

The impact will disproportionately affect African-American communities in the south. It's a big reason why Republicans in those states hate programs like Medicaid, SNAP, SS Disability, etc.

The really stupid thing about that is that these programs keep a lot of white owned businesses running. Without that cash flow a lot of them would have to close down.

The impact will disproportionately affect African-American communities in the south. It's a big reason why Republicans in those states hate programs like Medicaid, SNAP, SS Disability, etc.
Yeah. It's why I don't like the sneering "this is what they voted for" stuff. The people most affected by this either didn't vote at all or didn't vote Trump. Even in the red states. Especially in the red states.

Top Bottom