• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TRUTHFACT: MS having eSRAM yield problems on Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perkel

Banned
Huh, my old PC packed away in storage has an E7200 in it. Maybe I'll try overclocking it.

I changed from E7200 @ 3.9 to Q9300 @ 3Ghz and i can tell you that it wasn't good choice. I didn't spend really any money since both i bought used cheap but aside from very few games like GTA or Crysis i didn't felt any difference.

Because even now games on PC love quick one-two cores than slower 4 cores. But now i see that there are a lot of games that start to use more than one-two cores so 7200 after OC won't do any good.

Well let's be honest, Digital Foundry is the most irrelevant site on the internet.

Endless comparison videos that only serve to make gamers dissatisfied. Oh no! I'm only getting 3 fps in combat scenes then the 360 / PS3 version. Sell Console, even though I can't tell from the videos....but *I now know it's 3fps less* For a site that claims to be the bastion of the hardcore gamer, NeoGaf certainly seems to be full of people more interested in megagigatessilationrender pixels then the actual content of the games. Not saying MS haven't screwed up, but at least they had some ambition outside just another box that plays games, what have Sony given you with PS4? Exactly the same thing they gave you with PS3. Then again, I backed the loser with the Dreamcast and it's then all new online console gaming and had to say goodbye because all you Sony fuckers bought PS2 instead.

I'll be the first to admit, the site is mostly used as ammunition in never ending system wars but it is also a valuable tool for multi-console owners. You say 3fps, like it's something unnoticeable but it's not about 3fps it's about how stable the framerate is. There is a very noticeable difference between a rock solid 30 fps and a framerate that dips even just into the high 20s, especially if the game isn't utilizing vsync (constant tearing).

That all being said, it is kind of amusing seeing hard fought battles over the miniscule graphical differences between the 2 consoles because you would think someone who puts so much importance on IQ, texture quality and general performance would just invest in a PC.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
The only time DF faceoffs have been helpful to me was in finding out that the PS3 version of Bioshock Infinite was better, otherwise I would have just defaulted to the 360 version. I wouldn't be sad to see the back of it, hopefully the hardcore gamer subculture of pixel counting and comparing antialiasing methods will slither back into the haunted mirror it was summoned from.

Risette

A Good Citizen
The only time DF faceoffs have been helpful to me was in finding out that the PS3 version of Bioshock Infinite was better, otherwise I would have just defaulted to the 360 version. I wont be sad to see the back of it, hopefully the hardcore gamer subculture of pixel counting and comparing antialiasing methods will slither back into the haunted mirror it was summoned from.
If anything it's going to come back with a vengeance given how wide the gap in power seems. Part of the reason it came around was because everyone wanted to laugh at the PS3 given its beleaguered early years -- more expensive and inferior multiplats, etc. The Xbone will be that console that everyone wants to knock apart, except likely for its entire lifespan.

iceatcs

I'm wondering what the cause, the poor chip manufacturing? Or is it more of technical problem even good manufacture can't fix?

Goldmund

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
If anything it's going to come back with a vengeance given how wide the gap in power seems. Part of the reason it came around was because everyone wanted to laugh at the PS3 given its beleaguered early years -- more expensive and inferior multiplats, etc. The Xbone will be that console that everyone wants to knock apart, except likely for its entire lifespan.

That's what I can't really understand though, spending all the time and effort to tell you what you already knew. At the beginning of the generation even with things like GTA4 where there was noticeable differences it still wasn't clear which version was superior, so even though it was inane you could argue that it was at least performing something resembling a useful service.

As I said before, their tech analysis is entirely more interesting than the platform comparisons they do, especially now that they've essentially reached parity.

Risette

A Good Citizen
That's what I can't really understand though, spending all the time and effort to tell you what you already knew. At the beginning of the generation even with things like GTA4 where there was noticeable differences it still wasn't clear which version was superior, so even though it was inane you could argue that it was at least performing something resembling a useful service.

As I said before, their tech analysis is entirely more interesting than the platform comparisons they do, especially now that they've essentially reached parity.
Console wars fuel is easy clicks. ヽ(´ー`)ノ

Let's be honest this thread is dripping with bias.
lol

Well, wasn't there speculation that it did run on a PS3, "in real-time," but ran at half-speed and was later played back twice as fast? Something like the timescale settings in a fighting game's training mode. Not really making an argument about anything in particular, just recalling an interesting tidbit.

That's not really real time then now is it?

That's like saying a 1FPS output with insane IQ and special effects and then played back at 30FPS is still real time.

I think there's no chance to see XBO delay due to the problems they are having. IMO, I think MS would rather have another RROD fiasco and have another 360 like console in terms of sales, then launch later and another XBOX in terms of sales. Whether or not they can recover from another RROD fiasco, especially since Sony is launching very close to them this time, is another question.

They'll ship with next to no units which will create demand in itself.

Yes and no. It would be 100% true if the PS4 wasn't launching at the same time, but as is I can see a scenario where a customer goes looking for XBO in order to play the latest COD, Battlefield, Madden, Halo and, after finding out about the supply constraints issues, walks out with a PS4 to play all those games sans Halo - which a customer could overlook if the mention of a 2000 player per map FPS MMO game will come exclusive to PS4 and is free to boot.

2. Supply Constraint: Loss of early adopters, but Sony has shown that you CAN recover from that.

3. Launch Delay: See #2 but to a greater degree.

PS3 was never as supply constrained as the Wii or even the 360, but I see your point. It took Sony a LOT of money, man power, exclusive games that are better looking than 360 games, and energy to get the PS3 out of its funk to where it is now. Even then, I would argue that Sony just recovered from mediocrity, destined to doom to decent levels of sales. Playstation went from 160 million to 80 million, even after all the effort made by Sony. That's definitely not a position MS wants to be in.

Steroyd

Yes and no. It would be 100% true if the PS4 wasn't launching at the same time, but as is I can see a scenario where a customer goes looking for XBO in order to play the latest COD, Battlefield, Madden, Halo and, after finding out about the supply constraints issues, walks out with a PS4 to play all those games sans Halo - which a customer could overlook if the mention of a 2000 player per map FPS MMO game will come exclusive to PS4 and is free to boot.

I think MS are in a rock and a hard place if they can't sort this yield stuff out, if they can only manufacture 1 million X1's in the time it takes Sony to manufacture 5 million PS4's, I don't believe a delay is going to make a lick of difference.

PS3 was never as supply constrained as the Wii or even the 360, but I see your point. It took Sony a LOT of money, man power, exclusive games that are better looking than 360 games, and energy to get the PS3 out of its funk to where it is now. Even then, I would argue that Sony just recovered from mediocrity, destined to doom to decent levels of sales. Playstation went from 160 million to 80 million, even after all the effort made by Sony. That's definitely not a position MS wants to be in.

Slightly OT, but the you are not comparing like for like.

PS3 is 78m+two more quarters vs 109m for PS2 on a like for like comparison. Using historic sales plus the current level of slow down you can say PS3 will reach around 83m before PS4 launches, putting it 26m units behind PS2. To me that's a pretty huge success story despite being around 25% behind it's successor. This time PS3 faced off against much stronger competition than PS2, they had a resurgent Nintendo, a very aggressive MS this gen, last gen it was a dying Sega and a purple lunchbox, then the OG Xbox which had stupid controllers.

Well, you know it's console war time and E3 when all or most Sony regulars are in an X1 thread. Man, there's gonna be so much megatonnage on Monday. Sad thing is, we're probably not going to see full final specs for either console until mid-summer, I'm betting. So, possibly many months of more speculation.

Do you think they'll have final hardware at E3? like, the actual console running the (early build) games? and if that's so, what are the chances they would let anyone take apart one of those (running consoles) to inspect the hardware?

And I mean inspect a running console because they could simply have a different setup in the open with the supposed final specs but not have it running anything, and then have all kinds of mega-PCs inside those huge boxes playing their games at E3.

Thoughts?

gcubed

Do you think they'll have final hardware at E3? like, the actual console running the (early build) games? and if that's so, what are the chances they would let anyone take apart one of those (running consoles) to inspect the hardware?

And I mean inspect a running consoles because they could simply have a different setup in the open with the supposed final specs but not have it running anything, and then have all kinds of mega-PCs inside those huge boxes playing their games at E3.

Thoughts?

doubtful that they'd have final hardware running games at E3, and zero chance they'd let anyone take one apart if they had one for show. Still too early to be comfortable showing off the innards in case some thing has to change

PhatSaqs

Banned
Well, you know it's console war time and E3 when all or most Sony regulars are in an X1 thread. Man, there's gonna be so much megatonnage on Monday. Sad thing is, we're probably not going to see full final specs for either console until mid-summer, I'm betting. So, possibly many months of more speculation.
The uninformed troll posts on the first couple pages of the Forza thread are hilariously priceless. Some peeps really showed their ripped panties there.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

If you feel people are trolling, please report them to a mod. Otherwise, please don't poison the well.

Becky

Banned
Slightly OT, but the you are not comparing like for like.

PS3 is 78m+two more quarters vs 109m for PS2 on a like for like comparison. Using historic sales plus the current level of slow down you can say PS3 will reach around 83m before PS4 launches, putting it 26m units behind PS2. To me that's a pretty huge success story despite being around 25% behind it's successor. This time PS3 faced off against much stronger competition than PS2, they had a resurgent Nintendo, a very aggressive MS this gen, last gen it was a dying Sega and a purple lunchbox, then the OG Xbox which had stupid controllers.

Huge success story? If you ignore the billions Sony lost.

fallingdove

Well let's be honest, Digital Foundry is the most irrelevant site on the internet.

Endless comparison videos that only serve to make gamers dissatisfied. Oh no! I'm only getting 3 fps in combat scenes then the 360 / PS3 version. Sell Console, even though I can't tell from the videos....but *I now know it's 3fps less* For a site that claims to be the bastion of the hardcore gamer, NeoGaf certainly seems to be full of people more interested in megagigatessilationrender pixels then the actual content of the games. Not saying MS haven't screwed up, but at least they had some ambition outside just another box that plays games, what have Sony given you with PS4? Exactly the same thing they gave you with PS3. Then again, I backed the loser with the Dreamcast and it's then all new online console gaming and had to say goodbye because all you Sony fuckers bought PS2 instead.

What exactly is so ground breaking with the Xbone? I keep seeing comments like these. You think its ambitious to add Live TV through an IR blaster? Really?

I WANT a box that 'plays games' I have 4 other boxes that already do what the Xbox One is so 'ambitiously' looking to include.

I wouldn't say that PS4 is revolutionary by any measure but there was the segment during the PS4 reveal where they discussed that not only can you allow your friends to watch a live stream but you can allow your friends to take over playing the game. This is HUGE and is nothing that the PS3 or any other console has been able to do.

MS would lose a lot of sales if they missed Black Friday with the release of the Xbox One. They will work very hard on releasing it (at least in the US) at latest mid-November.

Black Friday would mean nothing for new consoles. It's not like they are going to be discounted or anything.

Can someone explain how eSRAM yield problems can lead to down clocking the GPU? I've read some "heat" arguments, but it doesn't make sense to me. I don't think the production issues are heat related.

PaulLFC

Wow, I can watch TV through it should I plug in a box I can already do that with, and provided MS feel like bringing the feature to my country. How ambitious of them!

What's wrong with a games console playing games anyway? I have plenty of other devices for other forms of media and I don't plan on spending hundreds on a device to do the same things I already can do with those. I buy a games console to play games.

Flo_Evans

What exactly is so ground breaking with the Xbone? I keep seeing comments like these. You think its ambitious to add Live TV through an IR blaster? Really?

I WANT a box that 'plays games' I have 4 other boxes that already do what the Xbox One is so 'ambitiously' looking to include.

I wouldn't say that PS4 is revolutionary by any measure but there was the segment during the PS4 reveal where they discussed that not only can you allow your friends to watch a live stream but you can allow your friends to take over playing the game. This is HUGE and is nothing that the PS3 or any other console has been able to do.

I highly doubtful that feature (taking over someones game) will actually work out but it is 100x more interesting than a UI overlaid on live TV.

The best gaming related feature of the Xone passthrough is being able to see notifications when doing something else but honestly you have to leave the box on all the time for that to work, (and it will only overlay on your cable box - what if I am playing PS4? :p) I would rather they have some kind of txt message or smartphone app so I can see my messages and invites from the console while it is off or I am doing something else. I pay my own electricity bills and having the console running 24/7 for this "feature" is not worth the power draw or wear and tear on the console IMHO.

otapnam

Wow, I can watch TV through it should I plug in a box I can already do that with, and provided MS feel like bringing the feature to my country. How ambitious of them!

Not even sure how it'll go from cable box thru xbone. Gonna laugh if a bunch of cable providers end up being incompatibile

AbeMC

Neo Member
I have been under the impression that that both Sony and MS were working with the same die space. Difference being X1 dedicating some space to ESRAM where PS4 shader cores would go. But from what I have been reading here, some are suggesting the X1 die is actually larger. Can someone clarify?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom