• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
until they realize that there is no answer at all and begin to lash out at people online for liking such an illogical show before heading to other threads to lecture people about their life decisions for not choosing a STEM track

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Just watched episodes 3 and 4 on Netflix. So amazingly bizarre and funny. Nice to see the nod to The Secret Story of Twin Peaks in regards to
Major Briggs
(and Tammy!).

Don't have a lot to add for now since this isn't a show I feel like analysing too much, I just take it all in. I'm fine with the scope and beats of this new season not being completely like the original show, and I appreciate the moments when it feels similar to that too. I have absolutely no idea where things will go from here and I wouln't have it any other way. I'm just happy with what we're getting and I'm fully on board.

Natiko

Banned
So, can anyone spread some light upon how the Dougie Cooper was made/exists? It seems so far beyond the stuff we've seen the spirits doing previously. Really not sure how it fits in unless we're just meant to accept it as a skill Bob Cooper has and move on.

Bronx-Man

Banned
So, can anyone spread some light upon how the Dougie Cooper was made/exists? It seems so far beyond the stuff we've seen the spirits doing previously. Really not sure how it fits in unless we're just meant to accept it as a skill Bob Cooper has and move on.
I mean, we got 14 episodes left. It'll probably get explained in one of those.

Yeah I'm beyond confused when it comes to Dougie lol

The arm's evil doppelgänger created an alternate doppelgänger for Coop (Dougie), so when Coop took over the body he didn't take over the place of the evil doppelgänger like he should have.

The arm's evil doppelgänger created an alternate doppelgänger for Coop (Dougie), so when Coop took over the body he didn't take over the place of the evil doppelgänger like he should have.

I guess my confusion is in regards to Dougie as he exists in the real world. "Dougie Jones" had his own life, a family, etc. and he looks identical to Cooper. Like Dougie didn't automatically just exist, Dougie has been living his own life.

Also, what is the arm's evil doppelganger? I know there's Mike, whose arm became the Man from Another World, who is now a Christmas tree...

I guess my confusion is in regards to Dougie as he exists in the real world. "Dougie Jones" had his own life, a family, etc. and he looks identical to Cooper. Like Dougie didn't automatically just exist, Dougie has been living his own life.

Also, what is the arm's evil doppelganger? I know there's Mike, whose arm became the Man from Another World, who is now a Christmas tree...

I'm assuming that time itself got fucked around with (hence all the stuff with clocks, and people talking backwards), so they could insert that doppelgänger into the past or something.

The arm's doppleganger is the scary version of the "Christmas tree" brain-stem/nervous system that attacks Coop before he falls through the floor of the lodge into the purple place.

I'm assuming that time itself got fucked around with (hence all the stuff with clocks, and people talking backwards), so they could insert that doppelgänger into the past or something.

The arm's doppleganger is the scary version of the "Christmas tree" brain-stem/nervous system that attacks Coop before he falls through the floor of the lodge into the purple place.

The tree is basically an "evolution" of the little guy though, right? But yeah, I think it'll eventually give more details regarding all of this, it just threw me off how "Dougie" is his own person with his own life, like was he thrown into the real world some time back, grew up, and to eventually be taken over by the real Cooper, etc.

robotrock

Banned
The tree is basically an "evolution" of the little guy though, right? But yeah, I think it'll eventually give more details regarding all of this, it just threw me off how "Dougie" is his own person with his own life, like was he thrown into the real world some time back, grew up, and to eventually be taken over by the real Cooper, etc.

the story of dougie is a tragic one.

We have seen two WhatTheChristmas Trees so far. The white-headed one that we first meet, and then a gold-headed one that has only appeared in the scene where Coop falls through the floor.

The gold-headed one is the spooky doppleganger.

"I NEED TO BE DEBRIEFED BY YOU, GORDON"

That scene was eerie and completely awesome. MacLachlan was so point with the WTF-ness and the others were on point with the WTF reactions

We have seen two WhatTheChristmas Trees so far. The white-headed one that we first meet, and then a gold-headed one that has only appeared in the scene where Coop falls through the floor.

The gold-headed one is the spooky doppleganger.

I need to rewatch the four episodes before Sunday. I don't even recall two of them.

"I NEED TO BE DEBRIEFED BY YOU, GORDON"

That scene was eerie and completely awesome. MacLachlan was so point with the WTF-ness and the others were on point with the WTF reactions

Kyle... well, I better see him getting some fucking awards for this. I'm not shitting anyone by saying that I think his performance as multiple characters in this new season is by far among the best I've ever seen on television, and I will fight anyone.

superfly

Kyle... well, I better see him getting some fucking awards for this. I'm not shitting anyone by saying that I think his performance as multiple characters in this new season is by far among the best I've ever seen on television, and I will fight anyone.

It is indeed superb, but let's also raise one for David Lynch who is killing it as Gordon Cole

I feel sorry for Dougie's family lol

I can tell what kind of mood my family members are in just by how they enter the house on any given day. Dougie's wife and son haven't even noticed that he was replaced by a braindead not-quite-lookalike. The wife even had a full conversation with him.

Dougie's family is awful.

Leave it to lynch to give Dougies kid the awful name of "Sonny Jim" and Watts repeats it constantly too haha

I had a good laugh when I heard that. The 4th episode was packed with hilarity

It is indeed superb, but let's also raise one for David Lynch who is killing it as Gordon Cole

This new season reaffirmed my appreciation of Lynch.

I was actually worried about this. I'd heard he was doing music and stuff and had gotten away from filmmaking, and I was like, is this going to be a case where a once-was has kinda lost his footing?

lol. Nah. He's on fire, maybe more so than he's ever been. The first four episodes of this have been fantastic, beautiful, eerie, weird, thought-provoking, wonderfully written, directed, acted. And the writer/director himself, despite all the creative hassle of even making it, is there in it delivering a fantastic performance.

So yeah. Hell yeah.

I wouldn't go that far.. He's letting people get away with speaking to him at a normal volume level a whole lot more. That never happened once in the original series or FWWM, except for, obviously, that special occasion.

Natiko

Banned
I wouldn't go that far.. He's letting people get away with speaking to him at a normal volume level a whole lot more. That never happened once in the original series or FWWM, except for, obviously, that special occasion.
He just has better hearing aids is all.

I can tell what kind of mood my family members are in just by how they enter the house on any given day. Dougie's wife and son haven't even noticed that he was replaced by a braindead not-quite-lookalike. The wife even had a full conversation with him.

Dougie's family is awful.

His kid thought he was doing funny man antics, hence grinning at him the whole time.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Why are people having problems understanding Dougie's existence?
He was created, found a wife and they had a kid. All that happened during the last 25+ years.

His only purpose was to trick Coop during the swap.

MickD

Seen Season 1, 3 times now? Cannot do S2 whatsoever..

SO! Watching fire walk with me for first time.. then unto S3.

Flipyap

I still dont understand why the Evolution of the Arm is good now and seemingly works with Mike.
It's helpful, which doesn't necessarily mean it's "good." Its role hasn't changed much since the original show, even if its advice became less cryptic.
The arm always alternated between offering (usually cryptic) advice and openly mocking Cooper.

Mike cooperating with the arm also isn't all that new.
cpFlfAR.png

Nico_D

His only purpose was to trick Coop during the swap.

I don't think so.

In my opinion, the swap happened between the evil (Bob?) Coop and the original, they were the ones running through the corridors in the finale of season 2. I think Dougie was created sometime after that for some reason to help Coop escape Black Lodge - like what happened. To get out, Coop had to be replaced by his doppelganger but in this case, it was Dougie and not Bob-Coop. But this is Twin Peaks, what do I know.

Robot Pants

I need to rewatch the four episodes before Sunday. I don't even recall two of them.

Yes. Yes to all of this

That scene at the end of episode 4 with Evil Coop talking to Agent Cole was creepy as fuck...

almost sounded like they pitched down McLachlan's voice for that. It was pretty damn creepy.

So glad about that glass dividing them. Best believe if they were in the same room he would have brutally murdered Cole :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom