• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erevador

Seen Season 1, 3 times now? Cannot do S2 whatsoever..

SO! Watching fire walk with me for first time.. then unto S3.
Several episodes of season two are absolutely masterpieces, as good or better than anything in season one.

Watch those at least. Watch all the episodes Lynch directed.

The scenes with the music added back really don't work for me, especially with the digital photography. Feels like a parody act. I personally love the lack of soundtrack and focus on natural sound.

I agree. Not one of those videos with added music has worked for me. It's not that easy that you can just slap a track there and hope for the best. It's more intricate than that. Those scenes were meant to play out without music...

number11

Watching this for the first time.. I actually enjoy season 2 more than 1.

Although I'm on episode 9 and apparently it goes downhill after this lol

brinstar

I don't know why, but I really like the name "The Evolution of the Arm" lol

I'm gonna have to start a drone metal band named after that or something

WriterGK

I meant Bob. Being a supernatural killer makes him sort of a demon, by definition. ;)
Some people would probably still mourn him, but I can't imagine that the general population of Twin Peaks even heard of some random (and seemingly scummy) attorney before he became a serial killer (which is the big news and tragedy, not his death).

I haven't been following post-premiere interviews, but he did at least appear at this event:

Unrelated: D'aww, they're so cute.

I completely understand then. Bob indeed is a demon. I thought you meant Leland Palmer(Ray Wise)

TheKeyPit

Banned
I don't think so.

In my opinion, the swap happened between the evil (Bob?) Coop and the original, they were the ones running through the corridors in the finale of season 2. I think Dougie was created sometime after that for some reason to help Coop escape Black Lodge - like what happened. To get out, Coop had to be replaced by his doppelganger but in this case, it was Dougie and not Bob-Coop. But this is Twin Peaks, what do I know.
The swap at the end of season 2 happened between Evil Coop and Coop. Evil Coop then created Dougie sometime between that swap and Dougie meeting his wife. Why did he create him? If they should ever swap Evil Coop with Coop, Dougie will be swapped with Coop instead.

The swap at the end of season 2 happened between Evil Coop and Coop. Evil Coop then created Dougie sometime between that swap and Dougie meeting his wife. Why did he create him? If they should ever swap Evil Coop with Coop, Dougie will be swapped with Coop instead.

What does need clearing up, is how BOB/Mr C got the Owl Cave ring, last seen being stolen from an unconscious Annie by a nurse in the hospital.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Yep. People are unnecessarily complicating it.

Bob switched with Cooper, then created another copy to trick the system on Cooper's eventual return. That new copy used the following years to make a life for himself, unaware of his real origins.

Nico_D

Personally I think it was the left arm (the tree thingy in the black lodge) that created Dougie to help Coop eventually escape. The left arm is something like Coop in that it doesn't belong to the black lodge because its Dopperganger is there too which makes the left arm the original. Making any sense?

Theoretically it could be possible that evil coop created Dougie but I don't see him possessing that kind of power.

I don't think we need to spoiler any of this stuff since it's speculation on future events and the episodes have now aired.

I am in the Dougie Coop was created by Evil Coop camp for obvious reasons.

Dimmle

I've been listening to Twin Peaks Rewatch over the last week and just caught up with their takes on Part 3. They bring up a great observation: thanks to Lynch going full surrealist with season 3, this series is quite possibly the least predictable show in television history.

Also, if you're starved for Twin Peaks conversation, I can't recommend that podcast enough. The hosts have a pretty solid handle on cinematic language and they're amusing to boot.

PizzaFace

Banned
Via a visit to Annie though? Why was Annie wearing it? Protection? Claimed by MIKE?

I think her story needs some kind of closure, even if it's just Peggy mentioning she died 25 years ago.

I can't imagine we get through this season without an answer to "How's Annie?"

I've been listening to Twin Peaks Rewatch over the last week and just caught up with their takes on Part 3. They bring up a great observation: thanks to Lynch going full surrealist with season 3, this series is quite possibly the least predictable show in television history.

Also, if you're starved for Twin Peaks conversation, I can't recommend that podcast enough. The hosts have a pretty solid handle on cinematic language and they're amusing to boot.

I listen to Idle Thumbs to get the opinion of 'normal people' on Season 3, but they seem to get so much stuff wrong... and it drives me wacky.

PolishQ

Personally I think it was the left arm (the tree thingy in the black lodge) that created Dougie to help Coop eventually escape. The left arm is something like Coop in that it doesn't belong to the black lodge because its Dopperganger is there too which makes the left arm the original. Making any sense?

Theoretically it could be possible that evil coop created Dougie but I don't see him possessing that kind of power.

Good Coop was going to be let out regardless. The only reason Dougie needed to be created was so that Dougie would be pulled into the Lodge instead of Evil Coop. Evil Coop has the motive, so it makes the most sense that he would have created him.

I'm starting to wonder if the creation of The Arm is at all similar to the creation of Dougie. One's in the real world and one's in the Lodge, sure, and Evil Coop doesn't seem to be missing any limbs, but still...

Natiko

Banned
Why are people having problems understanding Dougie's existence?
He was created, found a wife and they had a kid. All that happened during the last 25+ years.

His only purpose was to trick Coop during the swap.
I understand it conceptually. Just is bizarre that suddenly the ability exists to fabricate an entire person and unleash them into the real world.

I listen to Idle Thumbs to get the opinion of 'normal people' on Season 3, but they seem to get so much stuff wrong... and it drives me wacky.

Saying anything is right or wrong at this point seems kind of premature, they're all just different takes at this point.

Kind of like the DoppelCoop and Bob stuff. People saying it's wrong to think Bob is possessing DoppelCoop and stuff just seems crazy at this point.

btags

Sorry if this question is inappropriate, but does showtime anytime host 4k content, and if so is this show in 4k?

I have been watching it on my original xbone but would switch to my tv if I can view it in 4k.

PizzaFace

Banned
Sorry if this question is inappropriate, but does showtime anytime host 4k content, and if so is this show in 4k?

I have been watching it on my original xbone but would switch to my tv if I can view it in 4k.

That is one of the most inappropriate questions I've ever read. Get out.

joking of course, I have no idea

3rdman

I don't think so.

In my opinion, the swap happened between the evil (Bob?) Coop and the original, they were the ones running through the corridors in the finale of season 2. I think Dougie was created sometime after that for some reason to help Coop escape Black Lodge - like what happened. To get out, Coop had to be replaced by his doppelganger but in this case, it was Dougie and not Bob-Coop. But this is Twin Peaks, what do I know.

If that is the case, then both Mr. C and Mike have been duped. Mr. C clearly is fighting to keep his garmonbozia in before Dougie expels his. Also someone had to have given Dougie the ring after his creation. Mike (if he is helping Coop) tells him that he was tricked and "something is wrong"

If what you say is coorect, that would mean that there is a 3rd party involved that had to have created Dougie and given him the ring AND have access to the black lodge. Right now, I'm leaning on it being Bob but as you say, its Twin Peaks...who knows? :p

Piers

My only problem with the show is it feels like there's too either too much directing from Lynch, or he's going too much with the flow. When I watch characters mechanically walk onto the scene and speak a line, it feels like they're possessed by Lynch and he's passing it off as "Well they're curious!!" It feels like awkward directing to me.

And I don't know where the mysterious foreshadowing ends and the 'weird for the sake of weird' begins. Is the blind lady and 10000ms ping meant to mean something or is it just throwing interesting concepts at the wall and seeing what sticks?

Natiko

Banned
Twin Peaks is kind of bizarre.
You're not wrong there lol I think the combo of how advanced an ability that would be combined with it being in the real world and not just the lodge is what made it harder for me to just accept as opposed to Coop's non-existence trip which was fine because he's not in the real world at that time.

3rdman

My only problem with the show is it feels like there's too either too much directing from Lynch, or he's going too much with the flow. When I watch characters mechanically walk onto the scene and speak a line, it feels like they're possessed by Lynch and he's passing it off as "Well they're curious!!" It feels like awkward directing to me.

And I don't know where the mysterious foreshadowing ends and the 'weird for the sake of weird' begins. Is the blind lady and 10000ms ping meant to mean something or is it just throwing interesting concepts at the wall and seeing what sticks?

I assume you haven't seen much of Lynch? He is not throwing random, awkward things...they generally all have a meaning and purpose. Most people who feel like you are (quite naturally) thrown for a loop when first seeing his work because he doesn't follow the conventional layout of plot, characters, or structure. In short, its different and you either love it or you don't but at the very least it does take getting used to.

I am (obviously) a huge fan of Lynch but even I can feel that way sometimes...However (almost universally) I always enjoy his work the more I see it and TP is no different. Sorry...didn't mean to get on my horse. :p

PolishQ

If that is the case, then both Mr. C and Mike have been duped. Mr. C clearly is fighting to keep his garmonbozia in before Dougie expels his. Also someone had to have given Dougie the ring after his creation. Mike (if he is helping Coop) tells him that he was tricked and "something is wrong"

If what you say is coorect, that would mean that there is a 3rd party involved that had to have created Dougie and given him the ring AND have access to the black lodge. Right now, I'm leaning on it being Bob but as you say, its Twin Peaks...who knows? :p

No need to use spoiler tags on this.

Evil Coop says in Part 2 that he's about to be pulled back into the Black Lodge but that he has "a plan for that one". I think we can safely assume that Dougie is part of his plan.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Watching ep4 again. Big laugh at Coops pissing scene, especially when you remember Bobbys comment about his back teeth swimming since he had to pee badly too. Thats probably how I'd react after 25 years of holding it in.

3rdman

No need to use spoiler tags on this.

Evil Coop says in Part 2 that he's about to be pulled back into the Black Lodge but that he has "a plan for that one". I think we can safely assume that Dougie is part of his plan.

Yes, I agree! OMG Twin Peaks is back on the air! Still pinching myself... :D

I understand it conceptually. Just is bizarre that suddenly the ability exists to fabricate an entire person and unleash them into the real world.

I mean it's no more bizarre than a man turning against his evil friend from another dimension, chopping his arm off to free himself of evil influence, and his arm manifesting into a dwarf, and then a talking tree.

I think the thing with Dougie is that is seems like one big sprawling manipulation -- he has a wife and a child and a complicated life with friends and enemies. But really it would just take the creation of the Dougie doppelganger years ago, which itself doesn't seem that outlandish on this show, and the rest of it just occurred naturally as Dougie lived his life unaware.

Mariolee

I mean it's no more bizarre than a man turning against his evil friend from another dimension, chopping his arm off to free himself of evil influence, and his arm manifesting into a dwarf, and then a talking tree.

I think the thing with Dougie is that is seems like one big sprawling manipulation -- he has a wife and a child and a life. But really it would just take the creation of the Dougie doppelganger years ago, which itself doesn't seem that outlandish in this show, and the rest of it just occurred naturally as Dougie lived his life unaware.

The difference is a lot of the weird shit happens in the Black Lodge. We can only assume that Doop created Dougie in the real world, but how?

Nico_D

If Mike (if he is helping Coop) tells him that he was tricked and "something is wrong"

Yeah, I think Mike was tricked and it is The Arm (his arm?) that is working against Black Lodge if - like it seems to me - The Arm is a prisoner there too. I don't remember if we were told in the original series the circumstances how Mike lost his arm?

This speculation is the best tho!

The difference is a lot of the weird shit happens in the Black Lodge. We can only assume that Doop created Dougie in the real world, but how?

I don't think Lynch is interested in explaining how things work. Maybe the show will expand upon Mr C's capabilities/motivations outside of the lodge, or what Bob is up to, and that'll clear some things up, maybe not.

MGHA

Yeah, I think Mike was tricked and it is The Arm (his arm?) that is working against Black Lodge if - like it seems to me - The Arm is a prisoner there too. I don't remember if we were told in the original series the circumstances how Mike lost his arm?

If I remember correctly, Mike cut off his arm to separate him self from Bob, due to a matching tattoo?

PolishQ

Supposedly Mike cut off his own arm (which carried an evil "Fire Walk With Me" tattoo) after "seeing the light" and wishing to stop his and Bob's killings.

FWWM complicates this, showing that Mike is still involved with the killings, at least when it comes to feeding on the resulting garmonbozia.

Nico_D

Supposedly Mike cut off his own arm (which carried an evil "Fire Walk With Me" tattoo) after "seeing the light" and wishing to stop his and Bob's killings.

FWWM complicates this, showing that Mike is still involved with the killings, at least when it comes to feeding on the resulting garmonbozia.

Thanks to both of you.

So it could be that only Mike's arm was possessed? Which would mean the Mike in Black Lodge is the doppelganger? Edit: and all the black lodgers speak the weird language while the originals don't?

I wish we get to see White Lodge at some point.

I don't have any real answer to your question, but i wanted to point out that: Holy shit that's the best way ever to describe the visual effect going on in those scenes. Perfect.

grumpy

Random brain dropping of the day:

What if the anonymous billionaire is
Audrey Horne? After she came into near-contact with death at the end of S2 she made it her life's purpose to find out what happened to ”her Special Agent", or something like that. Considering her actions in the original series, it doesn't seem that farfetched.

Edit: I mean, showtime
described her role as "significant"

Christ, I can't wait for Ep. 5

Flipyap

Random brain dropping of the day:

What if the anonymous billionaire is
Audrey Horne? After she came into near-contact with death at the end of S2 she made it her life’s purpose to find out what happened to “her Special Agent”, or something like that. Considering her actions in the original series, it doesn’t seem that farfetched.

Edit: I mean, showtime
described her role as "significant"

Christ, I can't wait for Ep. 5
There was never anything tying her to the supernatural elements of the show. If the agents familiar with blue rose cases and the Bookhouse Boys didn't expect Cooper to be stuck in another world, I can't imagine how a clueless high schooler could turn into some kind of a mad scientist founder of a private X-Files/Ghostbusters organization.

There was never anything tying her to the supernatural elements of the show. If the agents familiar with blue rose cases and the Bookhouse Boys didn't expect Cooper to be stuck in another world, I can't imagine how a clueless high schooler could turn into some kind of a mad scientist founder of a private X-Files/Ghostbusters organization.

She wouldn't need to be a mad scientist if she had the monies. She'd pay the experts to do the experty stuff.

I mean I love the idea of Audrey being a billionaire, because it would mean that she'd have eclipsed her Father's business acumen. This could just be a pet project for her if she was truly a billionaire with millions and millions of dollars to spare, whether it's focused on Cooper or not.

Also we have no idea what Mr C may or may not have done to her. She'd certainly have been someone ripe for him to cause pain and suffering to.

It's probably not that though.

I'm not down with this spoiler tagging theories... because there's so many possibilities in every facet of the show, and I certainly couldn't predict what was going to happen in each part.

It's fun to me how Lynch's character is actually one of the ones most confounded by all the strange stuff going on around him. Not that Gordon is closed minded, but he's given a lot of 'What the hell?" and 'Somethings up, but I have no idea what.' type of stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom