• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
:O

2hcokBW.jpg

Amazing.

What's the deal with Tammy? And female characters on this show in general, what with getting naked and/or murdered. Gordon tells Denise that Tammy is a great talent and whatnot but then the next scene just totally objectifies her as the lads stare at her ass. If this is some kind of subtle commentary it's lost on me, seems like Lynch just wants to have his commentary on objectification while still including hot young women for eye candy. There was no story reason for Dougie to be with a naked prostitute either (at least her nakedness was gratuitous)

robotrock

Banned
What's the deal with Tammy? And female characters on this show in general, what with getting naked and/or murdered. Gordon tells Denise that Tammy is a great talent and whatnot but then the next scene just totally objectifies her as the lads stare at her ass. If this is some kind of subtle commentary it's lost on me, seems like Lynch just wants to have his commentary on objectification while still including hot young women for eye candy.

I think lynch is a little bit horny tbh

Snagret

What's the deal with Tammy? And female characters on this show in general, what with getting naked and/or murdered. Gordon tells Denise that Tammy is a great talent and whatnot but then the next scene just totally objectifies her as the lads stare at her ass. If this is some kind of subtle commentary it's lost on me, seems like Lynch just wants to have his commentary on objectification while still including hot young women for eye candy. There was no story reason for Dougie to be with a naked prostitute either (at least her nakedness was gratuitous)
Jade is functionally the most normal acting person we've encountered in the series so far. She grounds the setting for the audience after a completely bizarre, abstract, long series of scenes of Cooper literally flying through space and time in the Red Room. I actually really like her role in that episode.

The character of Tammy is actually established in one of the books as an archivist of Twin Peaks history, she's supposed to be an expert on the subject. Hopefully we get more of that in ep 5 (assuming it follows those characters).

I get what you're saying though. Lynch's camera has kind of an uncomfortable "leer" at the female characters sometimes. Sometimes it serves a purpose to the tone of a scene (which is important for Lynch who often conveys story and characters purely through tone), but it don't always land that way for me.

fenners

Jade is functionally the most normal acting person we've encountered in the series so far. She grounds the setting for the audience after a completely bizarre, abstract, long series of scenes of Cooper literally flying through space and time in the Red Room. I actually really like her role in that episode.

The character of Tammy is actually established in one of the books as an archivist of Twin Peaks history, she's supposed to be an expert on the subject. Hopefully we get more of that in ep 5 (assuming it follows those characters).

I think it might be a reach to consider the same Tammy as the one from Secret History?

Jesus this wait is brutal, and especially since its just for a single episode. We really got spoiled with those four out of the gate. This feels way worse than the wait leading up the premiere for me. At least prior to that we had a shit ton of articles and features plus the red carpet premiere to tide us over. Now its just covfefe memes ffs (not that that wasn't funny ofc).

Jesus this wait is brutal, and especially since its just for a single episode. We really got spoiled with those four out of the gate. This feels way worse than the wait leading up the premiere for me. At least prior to that we had a shit ton of articles and features plus the red carpet premiere to tide us over. Now its just covfefe memes ffs (not that that wasn't funny ofc).
How many episodes are you going to rewatch before the new episode? We are probably going to go with the preceding two.

Rewatching part 1 for the 4th time right now.

grumpy

I know. The wait is killing me as well. Especially since I know that:
1) Some lucky SoBs managed to see the episode when it became available online for a couple of hours by accident in Germany
2) Being afraid I might bump into spoilers

How many episodes are you going to rewatch before the new episode? We are probably going to go with the preceding two.

Rewatching part 1 for the 4th time right now.

I've rewatched them all once which is good enough for me, don't plan on doing any more before Sunday. Ok maybe part four :p

I know. The wait is killing me as well. Especially since I know that:
1) Some lucky SoBs managed to see the episode when it became available online for a couple of hours by accident in Germany
2) Being afraid I might bump into spoilers

The wait was certainly exacerbated by that (plus those leaked images), why can't Showtime make a mistake like that.

I don't really know if I'd want to binge it all if given the option, but I'd definitely take two parts a week over one!

Airola

I think lynch is a little bit horny tbh

Well..

"I like factories and nude women."
-David Lynch

Also I recall reading somewhere that when Lynch travels somewhere, he might ask if he could have nude women being around where he is supposed to go.

Not sure if that is not true at all or if it's just a dream I had, through :D

But yeah, maybe he just enjoys seeing nude women and maybe that's sometimes the driving force to show them in his works.

She also had the charisma of a doorknob
I think Josie was pretty interesting in the pilot, and then they didn't really seem to know what to do with her. Almost as if once Rosselini passed on it they threw out their original plans. Her appearance in the missing pieces is good too.

One of the interviews on the blu-ray set has Lynch piling on the compliments to Madchen Amick. I was fucking crying.

Also his relationship with Chrysta Bell has lasted longer than any of his marriages.

One of the interviews on the blu-ray set has Lynch piling on the compliments to Madchen Amick. I was fucking crying.

Also his relationship with Chrysta Bell has lasted longer than any of his marriages.
Not sure if this has been shared but I spotted this story about Bell.

http://m.mysanantonio.com/entertain...s-actress-from-San-Antonio-chats-11157238.php

Excerpt below ties in with some of the recent chatter in the thread:

Not only did he appreciate her voice, she said, but her look: “David likes unusual beauty, eccentric, not classic, but someone who has ‘a thing.’ He talks about my derriere; I’m round and fully packed.”

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Well..

"I like factories and nude women."
-David Lynch

Also I recall reading somewhere that when Lynch travels somewhere, he might ask if he could have nude women being around where he is supposed to go.

Not sure if that is not true at all or if it's just a dream I had, through :D

But yeah, maybe he just enjoys seeing nude women and maybe that's sometimes the driving force to show them in his works.

The last bit I don't think I've recently read, but yeah Lynch has been very open about his love for naked women in the past in his photography shoot with the factories and naked women.

DD: Can you choose one image in the world that really gets under your skin?

David Lynch: Naked women. The human body is very special, and throughout time people have been painting and photographing it, and there’s a reason for that.

Lynch has said on several occasions his two favorite things to photograph are naked women and factories.

Rewatching part 4 and while I get what people mean work regards to Lucy seeming like she is extra stupid now, I don't get why people are extending that to Andy.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Just finished up watching S2 and Fire Walk With Me the other day and just now finished up episode 4 of S3. I wasn't feeling eps 1-3 but 4 started clicking with me. I'm very glad there is 18 episodes to really flesh things out, were it something like a limited 10 ep run I'd be disappointed and worried at this point. I'm looking forward to what Lynch has in store.

That said I'm not sure how I feel about the look and overall aesthetic. I didn't expect them to recreate the early 90s soap opera look and feel of the original run, but this just feels so different in style. I find so many shots and sequences to be cheap looking, excessive or pointless. The original was definitely shoe string, but it had that touch of craftsmanship that really made it stand out. S3 so far feels a lot colder, but knowing Lynch that's all purposeful.

Acting has been very stilted as well. From nearly everyone, but especially returning characters save for maybe Bobby. I'm curious what the purpose of this is as it seems deliberate chose in delivery and overall presentation, though Andy felt like the actor was playing himself playing Andy. Lucy was fine.

Part of it is Lynch and Frost very consciously commenting on, and denying us the original Twin Peaks vibe (for now). Stuff like "James was always cool", Wally Brando, the musicless "it's not about the bunny scene" all feel super self-reflexive. But as Coop returns, so too will the Twin Peaks vibe we know, I think. We already got a taste of that when Bobby sees the Laura Palmer picture and the love theme starts playing. The photo brought him, and
us, back 25 years ago to the original show. Lynch knows that no matter how he plays it, returning to these characters and world would be jarring. So instead of right off the bat trying to make it seem as if nothing has ever happened and attempting to make it just like the OG show, he is leaning into that disconnect and incorporating it into the narrative, and slowly easing us back in.

I love the look of this so much though.

fenners

Each episode seems to have more & more of the town though. Cooper and Mr.C are going back there at some point.

I'm utterly utterly loving it.

Each episode seems to have more & more of the town though. Cooper and Mr.C are going back there at some point.

I'm utterly utterly loving it.
I'm not going to count on anything, but episode 4 spends almost all it's time either in Twin Peaks or with FBI agents we know and love.

When Gordon and Cole are having a conversation I don't think I much care where they are.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Seems to be. It's partly why a lot of people think it's the mother referenced down in the purple place.

Did anyone else hear slashes when the eyeless girl runs to Cooper to grab him and lead him upstairs to pull the switch? Slashes like when the two in the loft are getting carved up by the glass box thing after it busts out (which was definitely a woman). Could it be her?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
There's a chance that the statue in the Black Lodge, the thing in the box, Arm's Doppelganger, Mother, and Dougie are all connected.

So we see that Arm's Doppelganger forms out of the woman statue in the Black Lodge, like it literally morphs into Arm's Doppelganger. Arm's Doppelganger also has a golden face with no eyes and an almost triangle shaped mouth.

The thing in the box has a similar design to Arm's Doppelganger face, and very briefly can be seen holding a golden orb which disappears (it's hard to see, but up the contrast when it first appears and you'll see it), black smoke fills the box, it bangs on the glass a couple times, then it shatters and it kills. It also can be commented the form of the thing in the box can be associated with the nude woman statue in the Black Lodge, but with Arm Doppelganger's face (given Arm Doppelganger formed out of the woman statue as well).

Mother in the Purple Place is banging on the door, we don't see it but Ronnie/American Girl calls it Mother and urges Cooper to hurry, the blind lady seems scared of it too, and notably the thing in the box bangs on the glass to the same rhythm that Mother at the door is banging. The noises the blind girl makes are also the same noises the thing in the box makes when it's killing the onlookers.

When Dougie is pulled into the Black Lodge, he is said to be manufactured and then begins pouring out black smoke and then turns into a Gold Orb and a Grey wad of flesh. Mike covers his face not to look at it, which it then forms a disgusting mouth and somewhat beady eyes. It looks like a grosser, fleshier version of Arm Doppelganger's and the thing in the box's faces, but with more gritty detail, flesh, blood, etc. Its mouth shape is the same but it now has teeth and blood pouring out, etc.

NOTICE, the thing in the box is holding a Gold Orb like the thing that Dougie turns into, and how Dougie pours black smoke out of his body is similar to how the box fills with blackness before the thing appears. ALSO NOTICE, Arm's Doppelganger has a golden face compared to the others but the same sort of design and forms out of the Black Lodge's woman statue. ALSO NOTICE, when Dougie turns into the thing, Mike looks away and covers his face, as if looking at it is a bad idea. Tracey and the guy both just stared at the thing at it then attacked them.

I personally think that Arm's Doppelganger, the woman statue in the Black Lodge, the thing in the box, Mother, and Dougie are all connected. There is some repeating things between all of them and all of them seem to have visual, thematic, audio, and association recurrences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom