• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree. I don't think Evil Coop's "plan" would have been dependent on Good Coop choosing to go through a particular outlet. Dougie was going to be sucked in regardless.

I do agree that the NYC murders happen at a different time than the car crash, but note that Cooper has another "falling through the starry void" moment between appearing in the box and arriving in the space basement. Any amount of time could have passed during that fall. In any case, I'm fairly certain that Dougie and Evil Coop both vomit at 2:53pm on the same day.

Let me be clear. I don't think the doppelgangers are in contact with each other.

I don't think Bad Coop is aware that the evil Arm attacked Cooper and threw him down into the non-existant (and back a few days in time). I think the evil Arm is trying to sabotage Cooper getting *out*.

Daigo (again, apologies if that isn't quite the right name) prevents Cooper trying to go out at the wrong *time* not the wrong place. Leaving too soon, or trying to, would presumably be very bad, given that the timing of all this is somehow predetermined.

So Daigo sets the outlet to the right *time* but Bad Coops misdirections bring out Cooper in the wrong place (but at the right time).

That's what I think is going on anyways.

Bad Coop's plan doesn't involve the crap the doppelganger of the arm pulls. I don't think they're in communication at all. Speculation, of course.

Let me be clear. I don't think the doppelgangers are in contact with each other.

I don't think Bad Coop is aware that the evil Arm attacked Cooper and threw him down into the non-existant (and back a few days in time). I think the evil Arm is trying to sabotage Cooper getting *out*.

Daigo (again, apologies if that isn't quite the right name) prevents Cooper trying to go out at the wrong *time* not the wrong place. Leaving too soon, or trying to, would presumably be very bad, given that the timing of all this is somehow predetermined.

So Daigo sets the outlet to the right *time* but Bad Coops misdirections bring out Cooper in the wrong place (but at the right time).

Bad Coop's plan doesn't involve the crap the doppelganger of the arm pulls. I don't think they're in communication at all. Speculation, of course.

I'm kind of in between both of you, but my question would be what was Doppelcoop thinking was going to happen at 2:53? The covering his mouth, being afraid of the day. He knew he was likely to go back, but what did he think was going to happen or how he was going to stop it if not in some way involving what took place?

Zoe

Also,
here's someone from Nevada correlating what I realized - the 03 is not a year designation.

To elaborate a little, the poster links to a site which lists plate tag colors per year. Nevada has bright yellow tags for 2013 and 2016, and an orange-yellow tag for 2003. While the shot of the plate does make the tag look slightly orange, it's most likely that this shot was done in 2016.

It's meant to be read as 03/2016, meaning the tag expired in March of 2016.

03 is more prominent so police can pull you over.

PolishQ

It's "Naido", IIRC. Anyway, here's my take:

The Arm tells Cooper that he can go now, but that his doppelganger has to come back in. Cooper walks down the hall and opens the curtains. He sees his doppelganger driving down the road. Presumably the "normal" scenario would then have been that the doppelganger gets pulled into the Lodge and Cooper could simply step out into the world.

Cooper's doppelganger has a plan, though - he (or someone) has manufactured Dougie and given him the ring, so that Dougie will be targeted by the Lodge instead of the doppelganger. His relatively low amount of garmonbozia may have ensured that he was pulled in before the doppelganger as well, but I'm not sure where the garmonbozia came from. Maybe garmonbozia was used to manufacture him? In any case, I believe that's the extent of the doppelganger's plan: create a decoy to take his place in the Lodge.

In addition to Cooper's doppelganger's plan, the Arm's doppelganger ALSO (independently) interferes and sends Cooper to the space basement (with a pit stop in the glass box several days prior). Now Cooper has to use the electrical backdoor to escape the Lodge, so to speak. And like I said before, I believe the differently numbered panels simply lead to different "exit points" (in space, not time). The exit time is already set: 2:53 (as per The Arm). That's when the doppelganger's allotted time expires.

I'm kind of in between both of you, but my question would be what was Doppelcoop thinking was going to happen at 2:53? The covering his mouth, being afraid of the day. He knew he was likely to go back, but what did he think was going to happen or how he was going to stop it if not in some way involving what took place?

I think his plan was untested. So he had no idea until that moment if it was going to work. A 'moment of truth' kind of deal.

Coop's Doppelgänger had manufactured Dougie so that, when the time came, Dougie would get pulled back to the Black Lodge instead of him. This would cause a problem by having both Coopers in the physical world at the same time. Bad Coop may or may not have known the consequences of this, but he definitely knew something would be bad or wrong if he and Coop were in the same world at the same time.

This is why Bad Coop sent snipers to kill Good Coop when he emerged from the housing development in place of Dougie. Killing Good Coop would presumably solve the issue of duplicity and Bad Coop would be in the clear. He would be able to stay in the real world without further complications.

But since Good Coop wasn't assassinated, something is clearly wrong with both of them. We don't know exactly what, but Good Coop is a vegetable and Bad Coop is struggling to communicate.

As for why he was trying to keep from expelling his Garmonbozia, it may be because vomiting it up begins the transition. Like, your Garmonbozia is expelled before the exchange happens. By covering his mouth until the exchange with Dougie is complete, he is able to delay the swap until it is already completed and skip the exchange.

Secret History of Twin Peaks spoilers (?) -
Was any of this Josie triad shit in the show and I just forgot it? Because this sounds all new to me. Like what the hell. She was a Triad queenpin and a genius that knew like six languages and how to kill?

Real Hero

Was any of this Josie triad shit in the show and I just forgot it? Because this sounds all new to me. Like what the hell. She was a Triad queenpin and a genius that knew like six languages and how to kill?

Yeah less detail but the basics of it were

If I remember right, you find out something along those lines in the series, but it doesn't go into nearly as much detail or nearly as far.

Don't remember the details but pretty sure it went into some of it and the reason's Josie was like a deal piece or something along those lines.

Futureman

Is there something with Lucy and the lodge while she is pregnant in the original series? I thought I read something about that in here. I brought it up to my TP obsessed coworker and he wasn't sure what I was talking about.

Is there something with Lucy and the lodge while she is pregnant in the original series? I thought I read something about that in here. I brought it up to my TP obsessed coworker and he wasn't sure what I was talking about.

I think it was someone trying to explain the possible date discrepancy between Wally Brando's supposed birthdate and when Lucy was pregnant in the series. I don't think it was much more than speculation.

Part of it is Lynch and Frost very consciously commenting on, and denying us the original Twin Peaks vibe (for now). Stuff like "James was always cool", Wally Brando, the musicless "it's not about the bunny scene" all feel super self-reflexive. But as Coop returns, so too will the Twin Peaks vibe we know, I think. We already got a taste of that when Bobby sees the Laura Palmer picture and the love theme starts playing. The photo brought him, and
us, back 25 years ago to the original show. Lynch knows that no matter how he plays it, returning to these characters and world would be jarring. So instead of right off the bat trying to make it seem as if nothing has ever happened and attempting to make it just like the OG show, he is leaning into that disconnect and incorporating it into the narrative, and slowly easing us back in.

I love the look of this so much though.
Good take, well said.

Flipyap

Qp7gFlm.png
Oh, wow, okay. That's a cute detail. So that font isn't just a stylistic callback to Fire Walk With Me. Turns out Lynch has been using that same style of number plaques for over 40 years (or at least every 20-ish years)

MilkBeard

Finally caught up with all four episodes. I think episode 3 dropped the ball. It was really out there, but in a way that felt really disjointed and ridiculous, also from a special effects perspective. However, I think it was necessary to get that stuff out of the way, because episode 4 brought everything together and made me excited for episode 5.

Personally, I think a lot of the Twin Peaks scenes feel a bit forced, and some of the old actors don't really know what to do with themselves. However, the FBI scenes were great for the most part, and the conversation with Cooper was really unsettling, and I can't really say why. The mystery has me excited.

Also, that scene with Cooper in the house drinking coffee was great; it provided some much needed lightness and humor that the original had, but the new season has lacked so far. I can't wait until Cooper starts coming back to his old self.

Part of it is Lynch and Frost very consciously commenting on, and denying us the original Twin Peaks vibe (for now). Stuff like "James was always cool", Wally Brando, the musicless "it's not about the bunny scene" all feel super self-reflexive. But as Coop returns, so too will the Twin Peaks vibe we know, I think. We already got a taste of that when Bobby sees the Laura Palmer picture and the love theme starts playing. The photo brought him, and
us, back 25 years ago to the original show. Lynch knows that no matter how he plays it, returning to these characters and world would be jarring. So instead of right off the bat trying to make it seem as if nothing has ever happened and attempting to make it just like the OG show, he is leaning into that disconnect and incorporating it into the narrative, and slowly easing us back in.

I love the look of this so much though.

This is an interesting way to look at it. It makes sense. That scene with Bobby hit home for me, and it's probably true that they are aware of the jarring nature of seeing all of the old cast. It will be interesting to see what happens. So far though, I have enjoyed most of the scenes that take place outside of Twin Peaks much more (except for the Bobby scene, which was very striking).

Jocund

Dust is dancing in the space
A dog and bird are far away
The sun comes up and down each day
The river flows out to the sea

Love
Don't go away
Come back this way
Come back and stay
Forever and ever

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Part 3 is my personal favorite so far, but as I said previously I think opinions on the parts vary so greatly because all four parts honestly strike different tones of Lynch and focus in different areas. Depending on what you enjoy and what you're looking for, I think people will enjoy the four parts released so far differently on their own preference.

I've enjoyed all four parts quite a bit and they've grown on me even more over the last week and a half, but Part 3 was my favorite on initial viewing and has stayed my favorite.

The only issue I would have with this is that would imply the woman with no eyes was actually tricking Cooper to go to Dougie instead of sacrificing herself in an attempt to help him or save him. Unless there's something else that can be read from it.

That was exactly what I came away from that scene thinking anyway. When Mike later says to Coop 'You have been tricked', this was the only event where it looked like trickery actually took place.
The blind woman seemed desperate to stop Coop travelling through the socket until after she had flipped the switch and changed his destination, but we have no reason to assume she was helping him. Had she not done so, Mr C's plan wouldn't have worked and Coop would have sent him back to the lodge instead of Dougie.

rackham

Banned
Why is Mike so much less powerful than his arm and why does his arm have a doppelgänger?

Also, bad coop is just bob right?

PolishQ

Not quite. He's Cooper's doppelgänger, apparently a distinct entity but also a "part of" Coop according to Lynch. But also according to Lynch, he's "with Bob", either meaning that he's on Bob's side or Bob is literally inside him (or both).

Basically things get really murky when you try to figure out how Bob possessions work.

hydruxo

Time travel, lol, that's what happen when there's a two week wait. I don't think there's much point in speculating about Twin Peaks as if it was Westworld. Also, I'm pretty sure Lynch would have handled time travel differently.

It's all speculations and the spoiler tagging isn't really done consequently. If you read the rest, you can read what's tagged.

Of all the things that have happened on this show, and time travel is where you draw the line haha. I don't buy into the time travel theory but I don't think you can rule out anything when it comes to Twin Peaks.

Addi

Of all the things that have happened on this show, and time travel is where you draw the line haha. I don't buy into the time travel theory but I don't think you can rule out anything when it comes to Twin Peaks.

Oh no, I'm not saying it's impossible at all, I just don't belive this is how it would have been handled.

It's interesting to think that The Man From Another Place's doppleganger has shown up throughout the series, camouflaged as the statue of Venus.

Just rewatched s1 & s2 and wtf is up with the creamed corn?
It's a representation of the abstract concept of pain and suffering. Why does it take that form? Maybe Lynch has some creamed corn related trauma.

nded

She could have still been saving him. A vegetative Cooper in a car with Evil Coop is not a pleasant thought, especially when we know that one of them has to die. (I'm operating under the assumption that Dougie was going to be pulled into the Lodge regardless of which outlet Good Coop went through.)

Interesting. I wonder if that's why Mr. C was so intent on driving like a maniac instead of pulling over. On the off chance that Dougie manages to hold out longer than Mr. C a disoriented Cooper would then manifest inside of an out of control vehicle and potentially get killed.

Sitting in the theater waiting for Wonder Woman to show. They are advertising YouTube TV by going "imagine if you could watch TV anywhere! Finally TV for OUR generation!" Showing teens watching TV on their phone sitting in cars and shit. And new Twin Peaks was one of the shows on there. I want someone to show David Lynch that ad.

Why is Mike so much less powerful than his arm and why does his arm have a doppelgänger?

It's not clear what role Bob plays with DoppelCooper. Lynch stated that Bob is "with him" which could possibly mean that Bob is along for the ride or a partner.

I do believe that it's important to note that when DoppelCooper saw his reflection in the season 2 finale that Bob's movements mirrored DoppelCoop's exactly (just like Leland's did!), which indicates to me that some part of DoppelCooper is Bob or works as a vessel for Bob.

Unless we get actual dialogue acknowledging this or some digital manipulation it might not ever be clear since Frank Silva passed away.

Real Hero

Well whoever was pretending to be david bowie said 'bob will be with me again' and that doesn't sound like something you would say to somebody who was just Bob himself

Mariolee

I just watched the ending to the international pilot in which Twin Peaks was supposed to be a self contained film, and the ending makes no sense if it was all self contained. I mean, Twin Peaks makes no sense already but I can't imagine just watching the International Pilot and being satisfied with that ending.

Flipyap

I just watched the ending to the international pilot in which Twin Peaks was supposed to be a self contained film, and the ending makes no sense if it was all self contained. I mean, Twin Peaks makes no sense already but I can't imagine just watching the International Pilot and being satisfied with that ending.
The best thing about that ending is how it introduces the red room sequence without any mention of dreams or portals to other planes of existence. It's just a thing that happens 25 years later. 2014 was a pretty weird year, but I can't imagine how disappointed I would be if those were my expectations for how it was going to turn out.

Slaythe

It's not clear what role Bob plays with DoppelCooper. Lynch stated that Bob is "with him" which could possibly mean that Bob is along for the ride or a partner.

I do believe that it's important to note that when DoppelCooper saw his reflection in the season 2 finale that Bob's movements mirrored DoppelCoop's exactly (just like Leland's did!), which indicates to me that some part of DoppelCooper is Bob or works as a vessel for Bob.

Unless we get actual dialogue acknowledging this or some digital manipulation it might not ever be clear since Frank Silva passed away.

I wish people would stop saying this.

While evil Cooper might have been a vessel of Bob, which is entirely possible, in no way is it happening right now.

The mirror scene was there to show the connection with this new Cooper to the lodge, represented by bob.

Maybe he actually was on board in that brief sequence too to guide Cooper at first and help him adapt.

Bob hasn't been in cooper once in season 3.

Lynch confirmed evil cooper was not bob and was not taken over by bob.

He did it in season 2 and he did it recently too.

Bob NEVER needed cooper as a vessel, he could already posses people and leave the lodge.

munchie64

Theory shaming in Twin Peaks of all things is dumb. The Bob thing could be one way or the other easily. At this point it doesn't really matter.

Also, shout out to this show for introducing me to Au Revoir Simone performing at the end of Ep 4.

David Lynch is always on point with the female vocal dream pop send me to spaceeeeee

yep they were great. chromatics 'shadow' still the best of the 3 songs so far though.

looking forward to seeing eddie vedder on that stage soon too. and I imagine trent reznor and his wife were signed on to perform at the club as well. his wife's vocals are pretty much fit for a song in this show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom