• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft announces Skull and Bones, open-world multiplayer Pirates game

daTRUballin

Wow, I can't believe this. Right when MS and Rare are trying to push Sea of Thieves. You gotta feel for them lol

Hopefully both games will co-exist just fine though.

This looks so awesome!

My prayers have been heard! Pirates! More pirates! Pirates with big guns and sea shanties!

And this and the other pirate game look totally different from each other. One is crew on crew action with cartoon graphics and other is ACIV without any of the sucky parts.

I am interested in both...

Multiplayer naval combat? Not what I was wanting I wanted a true Pirates/Sea Dogs like game with the full pirate experience not just boring, repetitive ship combat. Not even even ship to ship boarding? Ugh.

Stiler

Looks like it's confirmed, there's no land-based gameplay at all.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.ph...xploration?p=12707714&viewfull=1#post12707714

Skull & Bones takes place, and is played from, the helm of one's ship. The quintessential Pirate experience takes place at sea. This is where they lived, ate, worked, fought, died and built their legend.

I am sure that, upon learning more about the game, you'll see that there is more than enough interesting gameplay to be had at sea

That's a major bummer to me, it's not at all what Black Flag fans wanted when they asked ubi for a full-fledged pirate game.

Don't get me wrong, the game still looks like fun and I definitely want to play it. I just wish we were getting the actual "full" golden age of piracy experience of being able to play the role of a pirate in that setting.

If people were having issues with registering in this beta and The Crew 2 you may want to try again. I went through the process and verified the email this time around along with receiving a confirmation email.

Paperboy

Skull & Bones and Sea of Thieves will only benefit and complement each other. This will create a greater exposure for all things pirate. And players of one game are probably more likely to try the other one aswell.

daTRUballin

WOW! SO many in this topic rooting for the destruction of rare and MS? Isn't that a bit much? Oh well.

I don't think anybody is calling for the death of Rare in this thread. I just think some people are concerned for their future if SoT bombs. The thing is, as someone else already pointed out in this thread, Rare is pretty much invincible at this point. I don't think MS will ever shut them down. People have been predicting their shutdown ever since Grabbed by the Ghoulies, and they're still around. They'll be fine.

Then again, people might've said the same thing about Lionhead at some point, so I dunno.....

I'm still salty about no single player. You can already play these types of combats with black wake and world of warships. Not my thing. SoT does add an extra later with foot exploration and such but meh.

bunkitz

It looks incredibly good, and I adored Black Flag's naval gameplay, so I'm sure I'll love this too, except... It's multiplayer. Gonna have to pass, sadly. Would really love to try it, though...

The fact that this is just ship battles is disappointing. Sea of Thieves is far less linear/allows for much more freedom.

Forreal. I was really happy about this reveal until I realized you're stuck in your ship. Was hoping for a more graphically intensive sea of thieves tbh

This won't take off unless the gameplay is top tier and they offer a lot to do such as trading and raiding

Forreal. I was really happy about this reveal until I realized you're stuck in your ship. Was hoping for a more graphically intensive sea of thieves tbh

This won't take off unless the gameplay is top tier and they offer a lot to do such as trading and raiding

I honestly feel it won't take off at all, regardless if the gameplay turns out solid. They'd have to rework everything and allow for things like we just talked about. Seems extremely unlikely.

It's like they didn't understand that the reason everyone wants a pirate game is so they can be a pirate, not a pirate ship.

Herne

I thought this was another Battlefield Pirates clone, and I was happy with that idea until it became clear that you have no player crew and are stuck to your ship. Oh well, could still be fun.

I'll continue playing Blackwake in the meantime.

Nothing on land? I guess that destroys all interest I had in this game. I was hoping they were just showcasing the 5v5 stuff to show off the ship combat.

orava

Seems pretty simplistic game with nice graphics. One player controls one ship i assume.

The rare game looks much more interesting and varied.

alt27

Skull & Bones and Sea of Thieves will only benefit and complement each other. This will create a greater exposure for all things pirate. And players of one game are probably more likely to try the other one aswell.

I disagree on this. I think it will make people choose. 'Pirates' is not exactly a genre/game type where many come out and people feel comfortable buying a few different like shooters or whatever.

I thnk people will choose to go one or the other. Of course reviews,etc will help and sea of thieves gets released first so that will have an advantage, but ubisoft usually manage to sell a ton of units on stuff like this so it will take players away from Rare. How many remains to be seen,

And the Ubisoft game looks alot more action focused than SOT, which will draw away a certain crowd too

Salmon

I was bored as hell watching this during the conference. The narrator tried to spice things up, but nothing really happened at all.

Banzai

How did they manage to fuck this up...Mp only and boarding is a cutscene? Why is the Sea Dogs series the only one that understands what a pirate game should be?

munroe

This is nothing like SoT and calling S&B an open world game is a massive stretch, it just looks like a bunch of sea arenas.

It's essentially an arena shooter but with boats

Print_Dog

Hadn't heard this was ship only gameplay until now. That's unfortunate. Sea of Thieves actually does it better. Except art style, but opinions. I'll sit Skull and Bones out.

Multiplayer naval combat? Not what I was wanting I wanted a true Pirates/Sea Dogs like game with the full pirate experience not just boring, repetitive ship combat. Not even even ship to ship boarding? Ugh.

Yeah, initially I thought this looked quite exciting, but then the more I read about it the less appealing it seems.

The fact that this is just ship battles is disappointing. Sea of Thieves is far less linear/allows for much more freedom.

Yeah, SoT looks like it offers a lot more gameplay depth and variety. Being able to properly explore and follow clues to find treasure seems really exciting, although I think the combat looks like it needs a lot of work.

Yeah, SoT looks like it offers a lot more gameplay depth and variety. Being able to properly explore and follow clues to find treasure seems really exciting, although I think the combat looks like it needs a lot of work.
I think I'd go back and play AC4 again before I ever touched SoT, at least based off the most recent trailer. Not a fan of anything about SoT yet.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
While the jab for SoT in the first pages of this thread was unwarranted and I understood the SoT fans reactions to that, the last pages of it have become unbearable because of the same fans. If you start by saying that the two games are not the same and shouldn't be compared, don't end up by shitting on this game or saying that SoT is better than this. Because it's stupid.

In the end these two games address two different kind of gameplay. And this being naval battles only doesn't make the SoT presentation from the Microsoft conference any less scripted and utterly boring. While the game might end up fun, that was a poor show.

uceenk

one of the best aspect of AC : Black Flag is Naval Combat

so it's nice to see Ubisoft create Stand alone game for that, but i'm not sure about multiplayer part

hope they balance thing out between single and multiplayer

-duskdoll-

I feel like we needed this kind of game. I'm probably not going to get it but i can see it developing a hardcore playerbase.

big_z

So it's just pure multiplayer? No MMO-like?

it's a multiplayer focused game based on the AC boating. kinda like what ubisoft did with siege or for honor.

You cant really compare this to SoT. they're very different games that involve pirates.

deadfolk

Ubi: Yo, DF...we know how you loved the single-player pirate ship combat in AC IV...

Me: Yeah?

Ubi: And you remember that survey about pirate ship combat? And how we mysteriously didn't use the best part of that game in any future AC games? Didn't that seem odd? Obvious we were up to something big, right?

Me: Now that you mention it...

Ubi: So yeah, we got you covered, dawg. You want more?

Me: (Breathing intensifies)

Ubi: How about a multiplayer-only ship to ship combat game?

Me: Oh, for fu...

Mortemis

Banned
Yeeeaaah, I really liked AC4 and really wanted a pirate game, but I was thinking more like a single player adventure where I can role play as a pirate, with treasures and cities and shit... not this.

deadfolk

Meh, no pirate game can ever top the Monkey Island games for me.

giphy-downsized.gif

daTRUballin

While the jab for SoT in the first pages of this thread was unwarranted and I understood the SoT fans reactions to that, the last pages of it have become unbearable because of the same fans. If you start by saying that the two games are not the same and shouldn't be compared, don't end up by shitting on this game or saying that SoT is better than this. Because it's stupid.

In the end these two games address two different kind of gameplay. And this being naval battles only doesn't make the SoT presentation from the Microsoft conference any less scripted and utterly boring. While the game might end up fun, that was a poor show.

I really don't understand how the SoT presentation was considered so bad by many people. I think it was really well done, and showed off the diversity in the gameplay pretty well.

You can never please anybody. Last year's presentation was hated on for being "loud" and "cringy" and this year's presentation was criticized for being "scripted" and "boring". I'm not sure what you people want to see from this game. Make up your minds.

Top Bottom