• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft announces Skull and Bones, open-world multiplayer Pirates game

schlynch

I was really interested at first but then I realized that there is only one player per ship and that one is bound the steer it. So much wasted potential here in my opinion. I would really dig a good multiplayer pirate game with crew tasks, entering the enemy ships and such stuff. Sea of Thieves is lacking atmosphere, so it's not really an option.

Fredrik

Why does every AAA game have to be multiplayer??

I'm 41 with a bunch of kids, please let me take a break from all the shouting and screaming and play a game in silence by myself without having to just play minesweeper!

The game looks awesome, but yeah, apparently not for me.

barybll

Banned
Oh ubisoft
When people said they wanted a pirate game based on AC4
People meant new singleplayer IP akin to a pirates! Game or something like it

Not a multiplayer thing where you play a ship

Way to miss the point

Personally when I wanted a Pirate spin-off game, I just wanted Black Flag but without the animus and tailing missions. I still wanted to follow treasure maps on islands and fight on board an enemy ship. Whilst watching the reveal I was expecting the game to be simply titled Black Flag 2, like Modern Warfare 2. It's like instead of taking out the specific AC parts and leaving the middle ground parts like combat and open world, they took out everything but the parts that were irrelevant to AC in ACIII.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Thread is going to be great to look in when the game is another smash hit for Ubisoft.

fireflame

Online multiplayer, the two words i did not want to hear/read:(

It seems every game thatlooks promising has to be wasted with those words nowadays...

Anyways, i have not bought a lot of ubisoft games recently and this is not gonna change i guess.

dawid

Making a game out of pirateship vehicle-combat seems like the worst idea for a game. It was a cool small part of AC4, but as an entire game? It's almost an absurd idea for an AAA-production.

I'd take my chances with SoT over this anyday. I find most Ubisoft games very average and this doesn't look anywhere near as interesting as Rare's game.

Some of the 'RIP Rare' posts in this thread are bullshit. Especially the ones prefaced with 'LOL'. Have a word with yourselves.

Isotropy

From the gameplay video - it doesn't look at all like the same kind of game.

SoT you control a character, exploring islands/dungeons etc, and are part of a greater crew when on a ship.

In this, looks more like a pure naval action game where you control an entire ship and all the crew members on it yourself.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Wait, you can't walk around and leave the ship?

So what's the point?

Filter

So what's the point?

Um, naval battles?

What's the point of racing games if you can't walk around and leave the car?

Shit, what's the point of aerial combat games if you can't walk around and leave the jet?

Um, naval battles?

Shit, what's the point of aerial combat games if you can't walk around and leave the jet?

Nobody wants a naval battle simulator. They want pirates. Pirates are not ships.

Fredrik

So what's the point?
You get to navigate and blow up pirate ships.
I have no issue with the focus on the ships, I love this bit in Black Flag. But online multiplayer? Just no.
So close, yet so far. Same thing with Sea of Thieves. I just want a 20 hour long single player campaign with lots of hidden treasure chests and sunken treasures.

iMerc

looks good, but i still prefer Rare's 'Sea of Thieves' to this.
I want to trust the pedigree behind SoT, and a decent break for them is a long time coming.
I like the aesthetics of Rare's game much more, and i could do with less "serious gaming" titles.
interesting; there's also a rumour that Retro's new game is pirate themed as well (grain of salt)…
what's with all the pirate stuff lately?

Kill3r7

You get to navigate and blow up pirate ships.
I have no issue with the focus on the ships, I love this bit in Black Flag. But online multiplayer? Just no.
So close, yet so far. Same thing with Sea of Thieves. I just want a 20 hour long single player campaign with lots of hidden treasure chests and sunken treasures.

We are talking about a relatively niche genre if you can even call pirate games a genre. A SP only experience is almost out of the question for a AAA game budget.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
So this is Ass Creed Black Flag without the Ass Creed... same shanty songs and all. Hope they add some Spanish, French and Portuguese songs and voice acting.

Rover99

Banned
Online multiplayer, the two words i did not want to hear/read:(

It seems every game that looks promising has to be wasted with those words nowadays...

Anyways, i have not bought a lot of ubisoft games recently and this is not gonna change i guess.

I'm in the same boat 😀

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Um, naval battles?

Ah, dat fully-comprehensive pirating experience.

MADGAME

Stupid question - is there more to the game than ship combat? Not trying to diminish what the game is, but when I hear open-world pirate game it evokes more than just sailing and positioning strategy. Can we get out and explore? Swashbuckling? Pirate camp building? Raiding colonies for treasure?

Um, naval battles?

Race car drivers and jet pilots aren't the same as pirates. Nobody cares what they do when they're out of their vehicles. What pirates do when they're out of their boats is just as, if not more interesting than what they do on their boats.

Dazza

Looks really pretty, but like most others in this thread I wanted a comprehensive single player game. Hopefully there is heaps more they aren't showing

Ashtar

I have a feeling that this will get delayed and incorporate a single player campaign similar to for honor a few years ago
If you think about it this is almost the same thing : surprise debut at e3 only showing multiplayer then came back the next year with single player.
If their going to rip an ac game off I'd suggest syndicate since they're still working on origins

blakep267

So will this be Overwatch / Battleborn all over again with similar result ?
Not really. SoT will probably come out months before Skull and cross bones, and live or die by how the community and streaming picks it up. S&B will launch, have initial success but die out within 3 months.

For Honor is very active on console, I don't know where the "it's dying" is coming from.
I mean I suppose it's somewhat active on Xbox. It started off great but now it's the 30th most played game. Behind gears 4, Battlefront (2015), Halo 5 (2015), fallout 4(2015) etc. it's sinking like a brick

"Play Solo or Coop:
Raid the Hunting Grounds alone or group with other players to hunt larger prey."

I'm not much of a online competitor mode these days but love co-op.

Did any of you see this in the OP that are salty about online in thread?

No land gameplay means the morsel of interest I had has all but dissipated. I'll hang back for a sequel or whatever (unless they're dead set on this IP being a competitive naval combat game full stop), but I just wanted another Black Flag but without the trappings of Ass Creed.

canedaddy

I've been wanting a nice big-budget open-world pirate game for decades. Not a big Ubi fan but cannot wait for this.

So basically Black Flag gameplay in multiplayer.

Like, literally. Even the UI was almost exactly the same. Meh. Got enough of that kind of gameplay with Black Flag, really. Don't need more.

Sea of Thieves is way more appealing to me. It also releases way before, doesn't it?

foxdvd

so any word on if this mmo experience is pve or pvp only? I would love to mess around with my friends in a coop pirate world but have no desire to mess with trolls.....

Tawpgun

"Play Solo or Coop:
Raid the Hunting Grounds alone or group with other players to hunt larger prey."

I'm not much of a online competitor mode these days but love co-op.

Did any of you see this in the OP that are salty about online in thread?

Yeah, not sure if they elaborated more on the whole "shared world" here.

I think (speculation) its similar in design to Destiny. You have to go to a certain part of the Menu and select (I want PvP) Because that is what we saw in the demo. It's literally a Capture the Gold elimination deathmatch with teams.

They also mentioned having to team up with players to take down certain targets. Meaning there will be coop "Bosses"

I think this is gonna shape up to be more like Destiny but you play as a boat then anything else. Destiny is also a shared world but the Crucible and co-op/strikes/raids are still kinda separate.

Sea of Thieves is more like you are just ALWAYS in The Division's Dark Zone. There are objectives for you, but every other ship has enemy players on it that may or may not be friendly.

Top Bottom