• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe first week outsells Mario Kart 8 and Mario Kart 7

jts

...hate me...
Little Mons†er;235308514 said:
Slay Queens!!

mariah-champs.gif

Is this Switch's Banderas?

I think it is.

requiem02

Banned
I wonder if Nintendo will even want to make a MK9 for Switch at this point?
Despite their insistence that this is a 'complete' package, I'm certain they will do DLC given how massive the launch has been. MK8D and Sm4sh Deluxe will be it for this gen and they'll be supported for the system's lifecycle.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I think this cements that the switch has much higher probablity of doing better than the west than the 3DS did. MK7 was a big Christmas 3DS seller.

Very impressive for a port of a previous MK title. I honestly thought it would do okay but not blow up like it has. I know the Wii U version did really well considering its console base (and I remember that Polygon speculation with the ridiculous 'pie chart')
Since I already own MK8 on WiiU, I haven't bothered picking this up on Switch - I figured most people interested would've already played it or forgotten and moved on - guess I was wrong.

It's worth remembering that Mario Kart Wii has sold almost 37 million globally. MK8 on the Wii U has sold 8.3 million thus far. So less than a quarter of those who previously played a console Mario Kart went to pick up the sequel - meaning there's a massively untapped wellspring of potential consumers for whom this updated release is their first new taste of the franchise in almost a decade.

jts

...hate me...
If we get another Mario Kart on Switch it'll need to be Nintendo/Smash bros Kart.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe already has Link, Villager, Isabelle, Splatoon kids, Miis, etc.

They don't need to change the name of their most successful franchise to have other characters included.

Looks like the switch is going far better than anyone expected, its going to be interesting to see how Arms does because I really want that.

Mafro

I wonder if Nintendo will even want to make a MK9 for Switch at this point?
This is pretty much the perfect Mario Kart, all they need to do is add a few more online options. I'd be fine with them just releasing map packs (BLOCK FORT) and new characters from other franchises rather than a whole new game.

Oregano

Especially when you factor in how a lot of people simply missed the Wii U in general. So for many, it'll have been about 9 years since they've had a 'new' Mario Kart (at least on consoles) to play with. In this case it's a gorgeous upgrade that's already plenty acclaimed and creeps ever closer to just straight up being 'Nintendo Kart'. That's a plenty appealing package if marketed right, and it has been.

Yup, a lot of people don't even know the Wii U exists.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe already has Link, Villager, Isabelle, Splatoon kids, Miis, etc.

They don't need to change the name of their most successful franchise to have other characters included.

Yeah Mario Kart is a strong brand probably probably one of if not the strongest Nintendo has.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
This is pretty much the perfect Mario Kart, all they need to do is add a few more online options. I'd be fine with them just releasing map packs (BLOCK FORT) and new characters from other franchises rather than a whole new game.

No, there's definitely stuff they can fix. For example, more options - it's staggering to me there's no way to adjust the audio mix - and better UI - almost all the menus are ugly and often unhelpfully unintuitive.

Zedark

No, there's definitely stuff they can fix. For example, more options - it's staggering to me there's no way to adjust the audio mix - and better UI - almost all the menus are ugly and often unhelpfully unintuitive.
Yeah, as a first time player of MK8D, I had some trouble finding stuff like instructions and how to toggle steer assist off. The UI is the biggest (but still relatively minor) complaints I have with the game.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Bigger then Wii and PS4 numbers?

I think if Nintendo plays their cards right which they very well may not, it'll be far closer to wii than most are currently willing to imagine. But that's dependent on a lot of if's. Early days.

I'm not sure if we're getting Mario Kart 9, but as the days go by I'm really starting to believe Retro is making Diddy Kong Racing 2. We got a rumor Retro is working on something Donkey Kong related. Diddy is still missing from MK8DX.

And maybe Nintendo wanted this to be the only Mario Kart and then have Diddy Racing which is different.

Not really, given the lack of major titles on the Switch right now aside from Zelda I would honestly be more surprised if Mario Kart 8 Deluxe didn't sell extremely well.

Not really since the Wii U didn't have anything going for it or any games at all when Mario Kart 8 released for it + plus it had the bigger install base. People would've been hungry to get a brand new Mario Kart game.

I guess you'll have to try again.

Mafro

None of that stuff has bothered me.

Zedark

Not really, given the lack of major titles on the Switch right now aside from Zelda I would honestly be more surprised if Mario Kart 8 Deluxe didn't sell extremely well.
If someone can refresh my memory: isn't this the same song that was played for Wii U hits? If so, then what changed to make this an expected result?

Forkball

If I was Nintendo, I'd be slapping any Wii U title of note onto the Switch. They are perfect gap-fillers between big titles.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Super Smash Bros. for Switch
Donkey Kong Country Returns: Expanded Edition (DKCR + Tropical Freeze)
Pokken Tournament Deluxe (DLC characters/balance change)
Poochy and Yoshi's Woolly World (spruced up 3DS port, maybe with more features)
New Super Mario Bros. Collection (all NSMB games with SLU. Ok this is a pipe dream, but I can see NSMB+Luigi getting a re-release)
Bayonetta Collection (1+2 with MORE COSTUMES)

Even titles where they probably won't add anything like Kirby's Rainbow Curse, Pikmin 3, Super Mario 3D World, or The Wonderful 101 could find success with just a straight up re-release at a lower price. They could put W101 for $20 on the eShop, with a more expensive limited physical edition for hardcore fans/scalpers.

Bluth54

No, this is not how it works.

What are you talking about? A major title selling well when there's a lack of software on the system is exactly what anyone should expect.

I wouldn't be surprised if it sells close to 1:1 with the system like Zelda did.

sanstesy

If someone can refresh my memory: isn't this the same song that was played for Wii U hits? If so, then what changed to make this an expected result?

If you would ever think about it for more than a second you would realize it is a complete garbage "arguement". People are not getting the console for free and as a result are not buying games just so it has some use - they are specifically buying the console for the games that are out right now.

I remember the same happen with Splatoon on Wii U. But to make that arguement for a franchise like Mario Kart which sold as it did on the Wii? What a time-wasting discussion.

What are you talking about? A major title selling well when there's a lack of software on the system is exactly what anyone should expect.

I wouldn't be surprised if it sells close to 1:1 with the system like Zelda did.

Yeah but people are buying the system to play these games in the first place. If they didn't want Zelda or Mario Kart they wouldn't buy the system yet.

It's not like everyone was given a Switch and a gun pointed to their head saying you must buy a game. If that was the case then yes, Zelda and Mario Kart would break all sorts of records.

The fascinating thing here isn't exactly the 1:1 attach rate, it's the fact that these two games are selling so well. Switches are being bought to play these games, more so than MK7 and MK8 sold with consoles already out there.

Cipherr

Yes it was. People say things like that to take away from genuine success.

Demand and attractiveness sells games; not a sole lack of choices. We have seen plenty of failed consoles fail to sell launch software in record numbers. Claiming that its one of the few titles out so its "guaranteed to sell" is a joke, and anyone watching the industry for at least 2+ gens knows this.

Bigger then Wii and PS4 numbers?

Waaaaaay too early to call that. In fact it's too early to give any sort of realistic prediction whatsoever about LT numbers other than this clearly isnt another Wii U and will be far more successful.

But yeah great debut for MK especially considering the size of the install base. Very impressive.

If Nintendo don't have both a Pokémon port as well as a Smash port well into development they are making a massive error.

ramparter

Banned
I'm seriously starting to entertain the thought that this might be the next "Wii". Holy shit.
Imo it will be better because this time they dont try to appeal using non games. So far this looks like the best of conbination of nintendo's greatest moments.

Bluth54

Yes it was. People say things like that to take away from genuine success.

Demand and attractiveness sells games; not a sole lack of choices. We have seen plenty of failed consoles fail to sell launch software in record numbers. Claiming that its one of the few titles out so its "guaranteed to sell" is a joke, and anyone watching the industry for at least 2+ gens knows this.

Really? There's a serious lack of software on the Switch right now, especially big AAA software. Mario Kart is the first really big release post launch/post Zelda and it's a very well known Nintendo brand. Of course it's going to sell extremely well, and honestly it's not surprising to me that it's first week sales are better than 8 and 7 since those systems had a lot more software to choose from when those games launched. There probably wasn't quite the hunger for the next big game from 3DS and Wii U owners that current Switch owners (myself included since I bought Mario Kart 8 Deluxe even though I have the Wii U version) have.

It may not get 1:1 sales like Zelda did, but I think it's going to get close and a very large percentage of the early Switch userbase is going to buy Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

sanstesy

I'd say bigger than 3DS is a realistic goal right now but I wouldn't say it's a guarantee.

The only worry I had with the Switch had to do with Japan because I have no clue about their market sensibilities but I never had one doubt that it would easily overtake the 3DS everywhere else. As a result, if the Switch is also a success in Japan it will comfortably overtake the 3DS.

jonno394

Mario Kart 8 did between >50k but <100k week 1 (based on the sales of other titles on the chart). Unsure if a final figure was ever nailed down.

DrWong

The only worry I had with the Switch had to do with Japan because I have no clue about their market sensibilities but I never had one doubt that it would easily overtake the 3DS everywhere else. As a result, if the Switch is also a success in Japan it will comfortably overtake the 3DS.
Switch is as successful in Japan as it's in the rest of the world: sold out as soon as new shipments are on shelves.

It is not, PS4 stil has some 30 million in unit sales to go before it passes Wii.

True, but I can't see it not pass the Wii. PS4 will sell big this year, the next and 2019 and then show some legs when PS5 is released.

As for the Switch, not sure it'll do Wii numbers, but it could become one of their bigger hits.

Really? There's a serious lack of software on the Switch right now, especially big AAA software. Mario Kart is the first really big release post launch/post Zelda and it's a very well known Nintendo brand. Of course it's going to sell extremely well, and honestly it's not surprising to me that it's first week sales are better than 8 and 7 since those systems had a lot more software to choose from when those games launched. There probably wasn't quite the hunger for the next big game from 3DS and Wii U owners that current Switch owners (myself included since I bought Mario Kart 8 Deluxe even though I have the Wii U version) have.

It may not get 1:1 sales like Zelda did, but I think it's going to get close and a very large percentage of the early Switch userbase is going to buy Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Omg.

There is no such thing as "current Switch owners". The console released less than two months ago!! You can't say Zelda and Mario Kart are selling well because there's nothing else to play when people are buying the Switch to play these games in the first place!!

People don't magically end up with a Switch and then forced to buy games for it! Am I misunderstanding something?

Top Bottom