• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe first week outsells Mario Kart 8 and Mario Kart 7

Great result.

As for the question of whether Mario Kart 9 will hit the Switch... I reckon that any MK8D DLC will be telling. If we get some meaningful DLC by year's end, it'll probably mean that they're looking to establish it as a game as a service, and we won't see a new one on this hardware. If they haven't, I'd bet cash that a Mario Kart 9 for Switch is in the works.

Great result.

As for the question of whether Mario Kart 9 will hit the Switch... I reckon that any MK8D DLC will be telling. If we get some meaningful DLC by year's end, it'll probably mean that they're looking to establish it as a game as a service, and we won't see a new one on this hardware. If they haven't, I'd bet cash that a Mario Kart 9 for Switch is in the works.

Agree completely.

My wish is that we get plenty of DLC for this, and then a good Diddy Kong Racing game as an alternative!

I thought MK8D was just going to hold people over until MK9, but based on the little bit of sales figures we're seeing they might just make MK8 the Switch MK game.

I'm happy for the people who are excited to play it for the first time, but its a bit of a bummer for me since i already bought MK8 and all the DLC on Wii U.

jonno394

Great result.

Pretty much, DLC spread over the next couple of years encompassing new multiplayer modes, 2-4 new cups (so 8-16 tracks) and half a dozen or so new characters. There's no need for a Mario Kart 9 on the Switch, after these sort of results, that'll be saved for launch with the Switch 2!

Great result.

In my armchair scheduler I'm pencilling in August for 25th Anniversary DLC, and a new title for the 30th Anniversary in 2022

sanstesy

Switch is as successful in Japan as it's in the rest of the world: sold out as soon as new shipments are on shelves.

Yeah, looks like it but I just can't safely gauge that market other than by current sales numbers and anecdotal evidence which is a a pretty bad barometer especially on the internet.

PS4 is already behind the Wii. It was tracking ahead for a bit but has fallen behind.

Wii at this point in it's lifetime: 70m
PS4 right now: 60m

The PS4 won't stop selling anytime soon especially in more third-world leaning countries where Playstation has a stronghold. It has become a meme but applies in this case - it's a marathon not a sprint.

People don't magically end up with a Switch and then forced to buy games for it! Am I misunderstanding something?

No, you are not so don't waste your time with this.

-MB-

Yeah, looks like it but I just can't safely gauge that market other than by current sales numbers and anecdotal evidence which is a a pretty bad barometer especially on the internet.

The PS4 won't stop selling anytime soon especially in more third-world leaning countries where Playstation has a stronghold. It has become a meme but applies in this case - it's a marathon not a sprint.

Maybe next time say it is going to be bigger instead of IS bigger, which is saying something completely different, hence the replies.

Yes. PS4 will have much better legs. I can't see it not pass the Wii.

Zedark

Actually, I think he might be on to something. The artificial scarcity that Nintendo has created for the Switch has prompted many to buy the system even though they really didn't want to, and now they are looking at the system and the only game that remotely interests them is MK8D, hence these results. It all makes perfect sense, this diabolical masterplan of Nintendo's!

Oregano

Actually, I think he might be on to something. The artificial scarcity that Nintendo has created for the Switch has prompted many to buy the system even though they really didn't want to, and now they are looking at the system and the only game that remotely interests them is MK8D, hence these results. It all makes perfect sense, this diabolical masterplan of Nintendo's!

Nah, it's obviously scalpels buying MK8D.

sanstesy

Maybe next time say it is going to be bigger instead of IS bigger, which is saying something completely different, hence the replies.

Yeah I'm looking at the bigger picture and not the current objective one. I definitely could have worded that better, true.

Please tell me you're being sarcastic.

Zedark

Please tell me you're being sarcastic.

H183gQq.gif

I thought so. No one bought Zelda because there's nothing else to play. They bought the Switch FOR Zelda. You can argue this point for games like Bomberman and Snake Pass, because people want more games to play and they are obviously limited to what they have so these games can possibly sell more than they would have had they released at a different time, but Zelda has nothing to do with this.

And neither does Mario Kart. If the percentage of people that bought Zelda because there's "nothing else to buy" is basically 0% then I'm willing to bet that percentage for Mario Kart is far less than 1%. You might have the very odd few who bought the Switch for Zelda and wouldn't have bought MK8D had it released a few months later, but that number is so low that had MK8D actually released a few months later it would sell even more than it did today because of the larger install base from other games.

MK8D outselling MK7 and MK8 at launch is extremely impressive and there's no way this can be spun. It released less than two months into a console and it's not even a brand new game. I'm willing to bet there are more people skipping it (or more correctly not buying a Switch just yet) because they have MK8 on Wii U than there are these very very few people who bought MK8D because "there's nothing else to play".

Malice215

I'm not shocked because Mario Kart is a system seller, and lots of people have never played MK8 because they stayed far away from the Wii U.

The fact that the game is a port doesn't matter when you can play the definitive version of MK anywhere on more desirable hardware.

Zedark

I thought so. No one bought Zelda because there's nothing else to play. They bought the Switch FOR Zelda. You can argue this point for games like Bomberman and Snake Pass, because people want more games to play and they are obviously limited to what they have so these games can possibly sell more than they would have had they released at a different time, but Zelda has nothing to do with this.

And neither does Mario Kart. If the percentage of people that bought Zelda because there's "nothing else to buy" is basically 0% then I'm willing to bet that percentage for Mario Kart is far less than 1%. You might have the very odd few who bought the Switch for Zelda and wouldn't have bought MK8D had it released a few months later, but that number is so low that had MK8D actually released a few months later it would sell even more than it did today because of the larger install base from other games.

MK8D outselling MK7 and MK8 at launch is extremely impressive and there's no way this can be spun. It released less than two months into a console and it's not even a brand new game. I'm willing to bet there are more people skipping it (or more correctly not buying a Switch just yet) because they have MK8 on Wii U than there are these very very few people who bought MK8D because "there's nothing else to play".

And even if it were 5-10%, it still would not be significant enough to explain this amazing result. It's simply a ridiculous notion.

sanstesy

Yes. PS4 will have much better legs. I can't see it not pass the Wii.

The thing with the Wii is that going by GAF talk it sounds like it was the most successful console of all time by a huge margin that Nintendo will never ever be able to replicate again. It is put on a pedestal that I don't think it ever actually reached but that's for another topic.

I'm not denying that, especially after the Wii tanked so hard later in it's life. I'm just saying it's not bigger than the Wii yet.

Doubly impressive when you remember they were giving away a free download of another Nintendo game on Wii U if you bought Mario Kart. Crikey.

Oh wow I forgot about this! I so abused this and got download versions of all the games for free (girlfriend worked at a second hand video store at the time and because they sell their games second hand they don't have to come with a code).

Don't hate me though, I owned every single one of those games physically already. And if we didn't get there first the other staff members caught on and wanted to sell them on ebay for profit.

The thing with the Wii is that going by GAF talk it sounds like it was the most successful console of all time by a huge margin that Nintendo will never ever be able to replicate again. It is put on a pedestal that I don't think it ever actually reached but that's for another topic.
I think people are going by how quickly the system was selling at its peak and how much mainstream attention it got during said peak more than anything else, in which case, I agree, no system will likely outsell it during that time. Overall, though, there have been quite a few more successful systems and likely to be more successful systems, such as the PS4

Oregano

Doubly impressive when you remember they were giving away a free download of another Nintendo game on Wii U if you bought Mario Kart. Crikey.

It might just be me but the attach ratio for Switch seems quite impressive. Even if we just take the figures Nintendo talked about in their financial presentation we have:

2.74m Switches
2.76m Zelda
~1m 1 2 Switch
0.5m Bomberman
0.35m Snipperclips.

That's an attach ratio of 1.6 in the first month which seems relatively high(?)

sanstesy

I think people are going by how quickly the system was selling at its peak and how much mainstream attention it got during said peak more than anything else, in which case, I agree, no system will likely outsell it during that time. Overall, though, there have been quite a few more successful systems and likely to be more successful systems, such as the PS4

Exactly. What is more apt to say is probably no other console ever had or in the foreseeable future will have the cultural impact the Wii had. Because judging by that the Wii probably should have sold double its amount. That was and still is the unpredecent part about the Wii as a gaming console.

Shiggy

It might just be me but the attach ratio for Switch seems quite impressive. Even if we just take the figures Nintendo talked about in their financial presentation we have:

2.74m Switches
2.76m Zelda
~1m 1 2 Switch
0.5m Bomberman
0.35m Snipperclips.

That's an attach ratio of 1.6 in the first month which seems relatively high(?)

They shipped 5.46 million software units, making the attach rate close to 2.

Agree completely.

My wish is that we get plenty of DLC for this, and then a good Diddy Kong Racing game as an alternative!
I'd like them to revive a lot of their racing franchises, not just kart racers.

They can start with a port of the new Cruis'n game and work from there with a new F Zero, Excite Truck, 1080, etc.

Anecdotal evidence time, but just popped down to my local GAME. Sign out front advertising Bank Holiday sales, and that the Switch was back in stock... and it's already been struck through to say sold out.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
To be honest,
it's not really that impressive. all the mario kart fans are going to buy this game anyway so sales are probably going to die down after the first 8 million or so. also, nintendo handhelds always do well so this is not that impressive. also, lots of games outsell their predecessors so it shouldn't shock people when another game does that.
this console has been out for less than two months

According to Wikipedia Wii U install base was somewhere around 6-7 million when MK8 released. So it's not like the ~4 million Switch install base in less than 2 months is that far behind haha

Anecdotal evidence time, but just popped down to my local GAME. Sign out front advertising Bank Holiday sales, and that the Switch was back in stock... and it's already been struck through to say sold out.

Yeesh, if Nintendo has a few big announcements for August-October at E3 this thing will not be easy to find until 2018 will it...

What was the userbase of the 3DS and Wii U when Mario Kart came out in the U.K.? Does the Switch already have a bigger base than the Wii U?

Top Bottom