• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

I just returned from our monthly tournament with a rediscovered hate for Zero and Captain America.

Also, we had our own Bar Fights yesterday. Here's Frutsy having a FT10 with one of the best in our state.

Cross posted from the FGW thread, the teams thus far for Curleh Mustache Battle Royale (aka the most hype Marvel exhibition of the year thus far):

Team Latin America
Neo Karsh
Taekua
Frutsy
KaneBlueriver
Yahiko

This Yahiko? He was at the tournament today, but pretty much went 0-2. Though to be fair the guy that eliminated him ended up getting 2nd place.

hi guys,

I'm a pretty on again/off again player of this game. Awhile ago I played Hulk/Iron Man/Sentinel, but kinda got bored of the team since Hulk is pretty 1-dimensional and tony stark is difficult to play and is pretty frustrating. I really enjoy Sentinel though.

I'm trying to do a MODOK/Sentinel/x team (shoutouts to the frutsy video above). I really don't like Sentinel last, so I'm curious what you all think the best last character might be.

Right now I'm trying out:

-Strider. His assist is pretty good for both characters since they are okay at OTG, but I'm always nervous about throwing his body out there.
-Dante: Pretty high execution, though Jam Session is great at the start of the round when I'm flying around with MODOK and its really helpful again morrigan.
-Vergil: For the derp. Does nothing for team synergy :\.
-Ammy: I can't figure out if he actually works out with this team. Seems like cold start is good and not good at the same time for my death robots.
-Phoenix: Modok actually has some godly resets, I've had some fun making work with this team
-Magneto: Pretty good but unibeam isn't great for those guys
-Doom: Tried once. Boring.
-Strange: Enjoy him a lot but its scary putting him out like Sentinel.

Any thoughts?

hi guys,

I'm a pretty on again/off again player of this game. Awhile ago I played Hulk/Iron Man/Sentinel, but kinda got bored of the team since Hulk is pretty 1-dimensional and tony stark is difficult to play and is pretty frustrating. I really enjoy Sentinel though.

I'm trying to do a MODOK/Sentinel/x team (shoutouts to the frutsy video above). I really don't like Sentinel last, so I'm curious what you all think the best last character might be.

-Strider. His assist is pretty good for both characters since they are okay at OTG, but I'm always nervous about throwing his body out there.
-Dante: Pretty high execution, though Jam Session is great at the start of the round when I'm flying around with MODOK and its really helpful again morrigan.
-Ammy: I can't figure out if he actually works out with this team. Seems like cold start is good and not good at the same time for my death robots.
-Phoenix: Modok actually has some godly resets, I've had some fun making work with this team

Any thoughts?
Honest answer: Wesker.

onionfrog

Unblockables with Samurai Edge since MODOK has no low, and once MODOK dies you can DHC HSF -> Wesker and XFC for big mixups and such.
Does MODOK have no lows at all? I wouldn't know, I've never really tried to use him..
I find his movement awkward and he doesn't have a real jump, which totally throws me off.

Dahbomb

He does have a low but his low is like other character's standing overhead... it's telegraphed and can be blocked on reaction if you are looking for it. He basically works the opposite of other characters, you need to block him high normal and react to his low.

Unblockables with Samurai Edge since MODOK has no low, and once MODOK dies you can DHC HSF -> Wesker and XFC for big mixups and such.

Thats really no different than having Sentinel last, which I really don't like. Also, I don't think blowing two meters to get a hero in is good team design. I know Sentinel is bad, but I want to play him with an assist helping him out and have him second.

Also, I'd rather have an anchor that I can utilize for the first two heroes than having something which is probably worse than Vergil last.

Does MODOK have no lows at all? I wouldn't know, I've never really tried to use him..
I find his movement awkward and he doesn't have a real jump, which totally throws me off.

He has some really nice overheads, and just by watching Frutsy you can see that Modok does not have a lot of trouble getting in on people.

hi guys,

Any thoughts?

Strider: I dig him but I have a hard time converting off of Vajra with either character (MODOK, Sentinel) because I'm usually across the screen. If you're an up close guy then maybe you'll have better luck, but Sentinel isn't getting much off of Strider unless you're burning meter.

Dante: Really like Dante's Jam Session for both characters but I can't play him for shit. I really look like I'm just flailing around mindlessly. He helps with my MODOK and Sentinel pressure for sure though, and he helps for easy jamming bomb setups. And if I need to go on defense suddenly, Jam Session is great too. All 3 of his assists are good for both characters to be honest.

Vergil: For the derp...like you said. I don't play him so I can't comment beyond that.

Ammy: She is pretty damn great for MODOK and Sentinel for the pressure game if you're using Cold Star

Phoenix: Dunno, I don't play her

Magneto: Don't play him much either. Hyper grav may be better than Disruptor for both of them....not quite sure.

Doom: He's great...sorry that you find him boring

Strange: I am ass with Strange but Bolts are just so so so good. It lets me do actual mixups with Sentinel.
IIRC, his slime ball hits low after it touches the ground.

Yes this is what I was about to say. You can actually set up unblockables with just MODOK if you know your spacing and you're very very fast.

Strider: I dig him but I have a hard time converting off of Vajra with either character (MODOK, Sentinel) because I'm usually across the screen. If you're an up close guy then maybe you'll have better luck, but Sentinel isn't getting much off of Strider unless you're burning meter.

Dante: Really like Dante's Jam Session for both characters but I can't play him for shit. I really look like I'm just flailing around mindlessly. He helps with my MODOK and Sentinel pressure for sure though, and he helps for easy jamming bomb setups. And if I need to go on defense suddenly, Jam Session is great too. All 3 of his assists are good for both characters to be honest.

Vergil: For the derp...like you said. I don't play him so I can't comment beyond that.

Ammy: She is pretty damn great for MODOK and Sentinel for the pressure game if you're using Cold Star

Phoenix: Dunno, I don't play her

Magneto: Don't play him much either. Hyper grav may be better than Disruptor for both of them....not quite sure.

Doom: He's great...sorry that you find him boring

Strange: I am ass with Strange but Bolts are just so so so good. It lets me do actual mixups with Sentinel.

Yes this is what I was about to say. You can actually set up unblockables with just MODOK if you know your spacing and you're very very fast.

curious what you also think of these guys by the way:

Skrull: I really think orbital grudge is a good assist, though I can never convince anyone. Has good lvl3 derp.

Akuma: Kinda a bit too much likes team knives,I don't think Tatsu goes that well with modok

Rocket: Log trap is kinda silly fun with Sentinel, pretty decent with modok

Dahbomb

Just got spoiled on the trailer for The Wolverine. It releases next week, probably attached to the GI Joe movie.

Glorious... gritty.... stirring... senstional... epic... legendary... manly etc.

All I have to say is get hyped... and not the fake type of hype either. Pure unconcentrated hype.

curious what you also think of these guys by the way:

Skrull: I really think orbital grudge is a good assist, though I can never convince anyone. Has good lvl3 derp.

Akuma: Kinda a bit too much likes team knives,I don't think Tatsu goes that well with modok

Rocket: Log trap is kinda silly fun with Sentinel, pretty decent with modok

Skrull: I only play him a little but I like tenderizer with Modok for some easy jamming bomb setups. Stone smite and tenderizer can both work decently for Sentinel and Modok, but I think tenderizer is better. I'm not a fan of Orbital Grudge. I really wish he had Rolling Hook instead.

Akuma: I can't get him to work well with Modok for my playstyle. I do like him for Sentinel though since I can get an easy air S off of Tatsu

Raccoon: I really enjoy Log Trap for Sentinel but I like Spitfire Twice sooooo much more for Modok. I can't play the Raccoon for shit though.

Whomever it was that added me on PS3, I added you back. Not sure of the user name connection. lol. We can play whenever.

That was me, I think. I gave you a list of shows to check out in the Toku thread once. I'll try to set up some matches with you this evening, if that's OK with you.

Just got spoiled on the trailer for The Wolverine. It releases next week, probably attached to the GI Joe movie.

Glorious... gritty.... stirring... senstional... epic... legendary... manly etc.

All I have to say is get hyped... and not the fake type of hype either. Pure unconcentrated hype.

It's kinda hard to get hyped for an Wolverine movie given the last one.

Days of Futures Past however looks like it's hitting all the right notes.

That was me, I think. I gave you a list of shows to check out in the Toku thread once. I'll try to set up some matches with you this evening, if that's OK with you.

Ah, yes, it was you! Also thank you for that list, I still plan on checking all that out. :D it's funny, I can find that post just by searching for "Mebius" (Still rocking to that Wasserman MMPR Remix Album)

We can play anytime you see me on, just send a message, or you may get one from me. I'm ready to be bodied by anyone. I sorta know how to play as Slasher can tell you, I just don't put the time into it.

Phew, took a break to work on my midterms(straight A's! :-D) and I guess I'm unbanned now!

So in between working on a couple huge projects for my portfolio(massive drawing of Atlantis sinking for my school's Spring Show!), I took GAF's advice and took another look at my playstyle. I love jump back gun and teleporting around because my favorite playstyle in every fighting game is hit and run. Jedah in VS, Dio in Jojo's, etc. So I dropped all of my characters and focused on finding a team that fit my playstyle to use exclusively for a while. So at this point I'm pretty embedded in the tale of two teleports and have a new team idea:

Deadpool/Trish/(Doctor Doom or Doctor Strange)

Nothing too revolutionary, but I like playing it even though I'm super uncomfortable moving around with Deadpool. Deadpool really seems to like fullscreen active frames in his assist, and Trish needs durability bad so there only seemed to be two good choices for the anchor.

I really like blinking around with Deadpool's unpunishable teleport and managing it is really fun. Plus I still get jump back guns and fullscreen confirms even though his wavedash isn't as good as Wesker's. I really like that he can jump all over the place(5 times near a wall! :-o) and he can get around like crazy. If he didn't have limits on his teleport he'd probably be one of the top characters in the game easy.

Trish I've loved to play since vanilla since she's like Magneto + Wolverine. Her infinite is pretty easy and I've got good unblockable setups with Round Harvest(Doom's j6H+ Quick Work assist = non-blocksables from downtown) and safe DHCs everywhere which is fun.

The good doctor bad doctor anchors I'm not so excited about but they work really well so too bad. I need to figure out this Strange combo business to get cool stuff off of Round Harvest.

ALSO!

I finagled some stuff with my internet, so I don't get kicked any more! I can play online here, but it's still wireless so it's not gonna be awesome. Definitely playable, GGs to everyone I've played over the past week.

She adds unblockables! And Peekaboo assist for running away! And TAC infinites! And she's fun!

And yeah, bolts is a no-brainer. That's why i said long range active frames and durability. Lots of cool stuff going on there. Plus I can use low tiger shot to cover small dudes.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
By unblockable do you mean Round Harvest> Raw tag to Strange> do some sort of jumping attack while calling DP assist? Isn't Strange too slow to do that?

Why is there no replay option I just had an awesome comeback vs. a dumbfuck Frank West team.

It's honestly embarrassing to not have a replay mode in a fighting game in this day and age. It's even more embarrassing to have spectator mode as a feature listed on the back of the box.

Solune

Lady as well. Not bad. That Nina design is really nice though.

Hawkeye vs Green Arrow... who would win?

They also have Trish and Kyrie (lol)

CI8zEYI.jpg
WPkwhF7.jpg

For the Hsien-ko / Lei Lei fans

As for Hawkeye vs Green Arrow, isn't Green Arrow rich like Bruce Wayne but lost all of his fortune and shit?

Dahbomb

Trish looks exactly the same, hardly even a re-design. Kyrie fits in though, the re-design fits her well.

Well I don't know much about Green Arrow aside from what I see on his TV series (which is awesome). He is still rich in that although he was stranded on an island prison for 5 years during which he trained like a boss.

There are quite a lot of parallels between Green Arrow and Batman though.

She's missing the long hair I just realized... This is a travesty
It's kind of neat IMO. It's Breath of Fire II Nina with Breath of Fire III Nina's hair cut:
1255622459.jpg

Girls get their hair cut, so I'm not particularly offended. If she got into UMvC3, I wouldn't mind seeing this as an alternate hairstyle.

Anyone know a good Trish combo? This is all I've got for meterless damage:

jH2H, MHS, jM2H, M+A1(Bolts)H xx Round Trip, Hopscotch, tk Hopscotch, jH, S, jHS

492k, 708k with volts

Frantic

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";51487383]Anyone know a good Trish combo? This is all I've got for meterless damage:

jH2H, MHS, jM2H, M+A1(Bolts)H xx Round Trip, Hopscotch, tk Hopscotch, jH, S, jHS

492k, 708k with volts[/QUOTE]jH2H, MH2HS, jM2H, Hopscotch, forward airdash, jMH, H+Bolts 2H, Hopscotch, tk Round Trip, dash S, jS, jS, tk Hopscotch, Maximum Voltage.

Does 530k meterless, 750k with super.

I knew the awful redesign since Darkside Chronicles and Operation Raccoon City where the end. :(

At least those didn't really try to change the original that much. But this...
Everything from the end of her shirt down, just looked like it went on a dessert spree.

My god...Claire! What happen to your sexy mid section?

Anyway getting back to marvel.
Anyone got any good counters to Vergil's SS, blistering, and the crown? I know of the snap back, but anything else? I need to practice with Phoenix against that tactics since that's what every Vergil will do if Dark Phoenix comes out to play.

Feel like I've asked this before...

Top Bottom