• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT4| Nothing Stops This Patch!

Hey guys, I am starting up a new series here for UMVC3, and I just want your guys input on how in any way to make this series better, its a UMVC3 Lobby critique series that I am doing to try to see if I can help any of the players out at all with gameplay at all in UMVC3, any help would be nice!

Link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7g4Veg5IK4

Hardest infinite in the game.

also re: stalking orb unblockable is it really convertable off of always? i didn't test it and was going off someone else's knowledge so i could be totally wrong on that one. do you have enough time to whiff the swoop and then jump up and convert off it if they just take the hit, or is it like a "you have to be expecting them" kinda deal?

edit: the mystic ray unblockable is like the task uparrow unblockable in which it relies on them falling in neutral state into the unblockable, right? meaning airdashers probably could get out but vergil is screwed?
Always convertable on a Stalking Flare hit on reaction. My main team for about 4 months was Firebrand/Dormammu/Shuma-Gorath, so I speak from extensive experience. You usually superjump after them, j.H, and then Bon Voyage. You do have to react very quickly though, as you need to swoop, j.S cancel, superjump, and j.H.

Mystic Ray unblockable works on incoming opponents who have no aerial mobility, as the completion of a lockdown with Stalking Flare (the timing is normally tight; this makes it easy), and after a knockdown in the corner, it will also create an unblockable against forward techs. Whenever I got a knockdown with Firebrand and I couldn't afford to Stalking Flare unblockable and didn't want to TAC, I went 50/50 between Dark Hole and Mystic Ray. If they back tech, Dark Hole creates an unblockable. If they forward tech, Mystic Ray creates an unblockable. I usually use Mystic Ray because people like to tech forward and if they tech back it still creates solid pressure, whereas Dark Hole does not.

If Shuma-Gorath weren't a complete piece of shit in this game, that would still be my main team.

There are actually several hypers that give Firebrand great unblockables. He is a very underexplored character.

FSLink

Banned
Trying to learn the optimized Zero lightning loop instead of the TK version because I'm a tier whore. Doesn't seem too hard but muscle memory is getting to me.

Zissou

Trying to learn the optimized Zero lightning loop instead of the TK version because I'm a tier whore. Doesn't seem too hard but muscle memory is getting to me.

Do you really need to optimize 100%? A dead character is a dead character, no? Zero can run through a team just the same with or without optimized loops.

Dahbomb

Like I said...

The idea of optimizing Zero combos always amuses me.

At this point Zero players should be figuring out the easiest LL variant or ones that give the least meter to the opponent.

Zissou

Like I said...

At this point Zero players should be figuring out the easiest LL variant or ones that give the least meter to the opponent.

Yeah- easiest, most consistent loops seem like the most useful aim.

Like I said...

I still do the old tiger knee version. I know there's all this new medium lighting, and all this other crap and I'm asking myself... why the hell am I going to waste time in training mode to learn that shit?

I already barley play this game as it is. The only thing I do in training mode with UMVC3 is try to figure out how to get more Spencer's 80k in 1 combo.

Harder than Dante's?

I still can't do it..

Dahbomb

Yes. No Dormammu player has ever done it in a match afaik. I mean, the air series ends in an add j.L linked into another j.L, fly, j.L. Not fun.
FChamp has done the older version (the first one shown in that video although he was showing a second version which is supposed to be easier) in various matches at FGTV. Not in tournaments but he is capable of doing it.

FChamp actually has been practicing infinites with various characters so he would know which is hardest.

Dante's infinite is definitely hard... I definitely have not seen anyone land that in a match (casual or otherwise).

Another infinite that is supposedly hard is the Morrigan Soul Drain infinite. ChrisG tried that and gave up saying it was too hard. He can infinites with various characters (Chun Li, Morrigan normal TAC infinites etc) and he is known for good execution so that one is probably really hard. And that one is actually worth doing because it is technically superior to every TAC infinite in the game.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yes. No Dormammu player has ever done it in a match afaik. I mean, the air series ends in an add j.L linked into another j.L, fly, j.L. Not fun.
I've seen Ranmasama do it, I think. I think he only got 1-3 reps in before he dropped it though.

FSLink

Banned
Like I said...

The point is that the non-TK version would be more consistent to me in the long run. I also like being able to optimize damage in case I'm stuck with no XF Zero, which has happened, so I can save a bar or two for shadow clone buster. Of course, ideally I'd just run a train over the other team, but I don't see what's bad in preparing for more situations.

Weirdly enough I'm better at the TK version on the left side so I might just stick with that one on the left side.

Sigmaah

I used to do TK loops but now I can just normal jump them. It's actually easier that way imo and it does waaaaay more damage. I'll only loop if I need to, I'd honestly rather just hyper then DHC for the kill. So much simpler.

Yo, I'm telling you all right now, Vergil and drones is too much. I fucking love it. Still gotta work on my mixups with Zero/Vergil with drones tho.

FSLink

Banned
I used to do TK loops but now I can just normal jump them. It's actually easier that way imo and it does waaaaay more damage. I'll only loop if I need to, I'd honestly rather just hyper then DHC for the kill. So much simpler.

Yo, I'm telling you all right now, Vergil and drones is too much. I fucking love it. Still gotta work on my mixups with Zero/Vergil with drones tho.
I'm liking Vergil with Spitfire myself. :p
But yeah TK loops I'm pretty consistent but I'd rather be 100%. Normal jump seems to be more consistent AND does more damage.

I forgot how laggy this game was online. Props to those who can do marvel combos consistently in lag though. I assume SF4 probably has similar netcode to umvc3 except it has less to worry about on the screen so it appears "better."

I forgot how laggy this game was online. Props to those who can do marvel combos consistently in lag though. I assume SF4 probably has similar netcode to umvc3 except it has less to worry about on the screen so it appears "better."

SF4's netcode is light years better than Marvel. I have to have a separate team in Marvel just to account for lag.

Marvel's netcode blows. You absolutely cannot play wireless and hope for a decent connection. You can in sf4.

SF is also much slower.

I played for the first time since December today, and I didn't really have any fun. I think I will try the Firebrand team again. Oni has me hooked on being more aggressive than Doom is capable of.

OOooooohhhhhh jocking my team. I see how it is. It is a really fun team though, especially once you've put that fear of God into people and they're terrified to call an assist. Let me know what you think.

That's one of the main reasons why I'm using Storm in the first place! I wanted to zone, but I also wanted to train myself to punish assist calls. I already started to do it with Joe/Frank/Ryu, but a lot of times I'd be too far away for Frank to actually hit them.

Last night I had someone on Ranked call my team "gay." Then I beat him again, and he mentioned something about how I should "be ashamed" of the tactics I use. I told him I couldn't be too ashamed since he lost twice in a row.

That's one of the main reasons why I'm using Storm in the first place! I wanted to zone, but I also wanted to train myself to punish assist calls. I already started to do it with Joe/Frank/Ryu, but a lot of times I'd be too far away for Frank to actually hit them.

Last night I had someone on Ranked call my team "gay." Then I beat him again, and he mentioned something about how I should "be ashamed" of the tactics I use. I told him I couldn't be too ashamed since he lost twice in a row.
Does this mean you don't spam TACs anymore? :-D

YOU'D LIKE THAT, WOULDN'T YOU

EDIT: Should I be dashing up-forward when I do Storm's TAC flight combo? Seems like if I just dash forward, I always miss the S.

No idea. I never TAC unless it's against Phoenix. And when I do it's so I can either steal her meter or add to mine. Otherwise I might TAC 1/100 matches and it'll be for the sole purpose of doing an infinite, since Storm's is one of the infinites I can do.

And since we were talking about infinites and difficulty, I'll give my opinion on the ones I know how to do from easiest to hardest

Nova>Sentinel>Doom>Storm>Magneto>Jill

Marz

SF is also much slower.

I played for the first time since December today, and I didn't really have any fun. I think I will try the Firebrand team again. Oni has me hooked on being more aggressive than Doom is capable of.

Oni's power MOVES WORLDS.

doom just has foot dive.

JeTmAn81

SF is also much slower.

I feel like Doom can be played very aggressively if you effectively employ his air dashes and F+H foot dive.

I also think I might have some new meterless unblockable setups for Firebrand. :)

Fuck Shuma-Gorath and his impossible combos, though. Why did Capcom have to do that?! UGH.

Seriously though. But since he has a permanent spot on one of my teams and I tend to place him on numerous teams that I want to try out, I had to learn those combos. I didn't really start learning them until like 3 months ago though. But I got tired of flailing around with him since he was often my anchor.

I also need to start paying attention to Angelic and Justin Wong, because my Wolverine/Shuma and Wolverine/Akuma are downright embarrassing. For such a simple ass character, I fucking suck with him. I could also learn mover about Shuma from Angelic.

Zissou

I feel like Doom can be played very aggressively if you effectively employ his air dashes and F+H foot dive.

There are definitely match-ups where Doom can rush down. I kind of mentally break up match-ups into I can: rush/lame out/both/neither(bad match-ups). I tend to rush when I can- like against Wesker, both approaches work, but rushing is more fun for me. Matches where lame is absolutely not an option tend to be awful match-ups though :(

Because his damage is stupid high?

I think having decently damaging easy magic series combos on most characters was a really smart way to let people mess around huge swaths of the cast to try different team combinations. Other high damage characters at least have basic combos that do OK damage for beginners/bad online lag/etc.- Shuma should have that too.

He is aggressive, but not enough for how I am feeling these days. He needs an assist to help him approach. I want to go in Wolverine style.

Seriously though. But since he has a permanent spot on one of my teams and I tend to place him on numerous teams that I want to try out, I had to learn those combos. I didn't really start learning them until like 3 months ago though. But I got tired of flailing around with him since he was often my anchor.

I also need to start paying attention to Angelic and Justin Wong, because my Wolverine/Shuma and Wolverine/Akuma are downright embarrassing. For such a simple ass character, I fucking suck with him. I could also learn mover about Shuma from Angelic.
I can't find anything powerful and reliable mid screen. Then again, neither can the rest of the internet.

Because his damage is stupid high?
He doesnt have an abc combo, and his damage is only stupid high in corners, which is every single combo video out there. He has no corner carry and no mid-screen ender. That means in many situations his damage is super ass.

Dahbomb

I think having decently damaging easy magic series combos on most characters was a really smart way to let people mess around huge swaths of the cast to try different team combinations. Other high damage characters at least have basic combos that do OK damage for beginners/bad online lag/etc.- Shuma should have that too.
Shuma isn't the only one without a reliable and damaging ABC BBCS type combo. Iron Man's ABC hardly ever works and you can't do cr. ABC because then you get the missile.

This is obviously part of their diversity quota. Like how different characters have different magic series (zig zag, hunter etc).

For Shuma it seemed like they gave him awkward combo starter/ender on purpose (because he's supposed to be the weird one) but tried to balance that out with giving him stupid high scaling values. That is why in some situations he gets Thor killing damage while in other situations he gets mediocre damage. Not saying I agree or disagree with this, just that's how it is.

I know people are going to bring up "bbbut Zero" and yea that character obviously is stupidly reincarnated but its pretty obvious that he was given high scaling values because so many of his moves are multi-hitting in combos. If he had like Strider scaling values he would be one of the lowest damage characters in the game.

Personally speaking any character with above 10% scaling on normals and specials is too much. Exception for Dante because he has so many specials in his combos that you need to put the scaling value even lower so that his combos do non broken damage. It's too bad Capcom forgot to balance other characters with the same precision as Dante.

Shuma isn't the only one without a reliable and damaging ABC BBCS type combo. Iron Man's ABC hardly ever works and you can't do cr. ABC because then you get the missile.

This is obviously part of their diversity quota. Like how different characters have different magic series (zig zag, hunter etc).

For Shuma it seemed like they gave him awkward combo starter/ender on purpose (because he's supposed to be the weird one) but tried to balance that out with giving him stupid high scaling values. That is why in some situations he gets Thor killing damage while in other situations he gets mediocre damage. Not saying I agree or disagree with this, just that's how it is.

I know people are going to bring up "bbbut Zero" and yea that character obviously is stupidly reincarnated but its pretty obvious that he was given high scaling values because so many of his moves are multi-hitting in combos. If he had like Strider scaling values he would be one of the lowest damage characters in the game.

Personally speaking any character with above 10% scaling on normals and specials is too much. Exception for Dante because he has so many specials in his combos that you need to put the scaling value even lower so that his combos do non broken damage. It's too bad Capcom forgot to balance other characters with the same precision as Dante.
Right. They are both shit characters. It is why everyone picks Doom.

We did the theory patch. I am fine with lower damage. His combos are way harder than Iron Man for basic damage and advanced damage.

Shuma can't even combo into a hyper at mid screen without extreme pain.

TWILT

Banned
Good games to both Karst and Beef.

Couldn't do much against Karst's Firebrand and kept struggling to escape and got punished alot. Good stuff.

And I hate fighting against Beef's Joe lol. It sucks when you drop a basic Wesker combo because the OTG gunshot missed. :(

Also GGs, TWILT. Sorry for leaving suddenly. My wife finished home made cinnamin buns. Our matches were fun, I need to stop messing up Firebrand stuff. I haven't played since December, so I am trying to be accepting of my mistakes.

Also GGs, TWILT. Sorry for leaving suddenly. My wife finished home made cinnamin buns. Our matches were fun, I need to stop messing up Firebrand stuff. I haven't played since December, so I am trying to be accepting of my mistakes.
Taking a few weeks off messes me up. I can't imagine a few months. It's the main reason I'm so hesitant on playing sf4. I haven't seriously played that in like a year.

FSLink

Banned
And I hate fighting against Beef's Joe lol. It sucks when you drop a basic Wesker combo because the OTG gunshot missed. :(

That's why I love the Wesker/Strange shell, lol. Teleport to corner -> Team Super. Don't have to worry about dropping it.

Taking a few weeks off messes me up. I can't imagine a few months. It's the main reason I'm so hesitant on playing sf4. I haven't seriously played that in like a year.
IIRC I went 10-8 against TWILT, whom is a solid player. I am pleased with that. I honestly still have near perfect muscle memory still. I just have to remember what I am supposed to do in various situations.

However, TWILT needs to work on his Doom as much as I need to work on Shuma, haha.

Top Bottom