• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 multiplayer trailer [Arne Says 30 FPS, Also Answers Lots Of Questions]

REV 09

cinematic stuff looks like a separate mode...no way the core multiplayer is based on scripted moments/levels. Probably something like Reach's Invasion mode. Cool idea though.

I wonder if the plane flyby was a killstreak, which leads me to: games need less perks/killstreaks, not more.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I don't understand why they cannot get the gun sounds right. Is there some alien mastery involved with that?

Looks like it has COD-style emblem system and valve-style emblem spraypainting.

LZqJl.jpg

KFoWx.jpg

A cargo plane accelerates down a runway with Drake and his compatriots stowed away inside. As the rear door yawns wide-open, a convoy of terrorist-carrying trucks is in hot pursuit.

The vehicles draw up to the craft, weaving in and out at high speed, as machine-gun wielding passengers leap recklessly between them to gain a better vantage point. Drake's group engages the enemy in a fierce battle as bullets and grenades burst into fireworks of carnage.

Suddenly, a second plane swoops into view, weapons flaring. There's a massive explosion as the rear-most truck bursts into flames and carousels spectacularly upwards, almost colliding with the airborne craft. The cargo door draws up. Drake is away. Or is he?

It's a sequence of typical cinematic flair from Naughty Dog. And if you didn't know any better, you'd swear it was a set-piece from Uncharted 3's campaign. But the first dead giveaway is the four Drakes on the plane. What I've just described is in fact the opening of a multiplayer map - one you'll be able to play in two months' time as part of the upcoming beta.

"We're showing we can take our epic, action-adventure feel from single-player into multiplayer," says game director Justin Richmond. "We got a little bit of that feeling last time, but this time we're really pushing that and making it feel like it's something new and different that people haven't seen in the multiplayer arena before."

Naughty Dog co-president Evan Wells chips in: "We've improved our multiplayer technology now to allow networkable moving objects and really open up the opportunities for the designers to come up with some great experiences."

Let's get into the game itself. Two maps are available at the event: Airstrip and Chateau. The former is the one already described; after that set-piece it cuts to a more familiar multiplayer setting. The latter is set in and around the fire-damaged chateau seen in the single-player footage previously released.

Two main modes of play are available today: 5 vs. 5 Team Deathmatch (there's a 10-player limit in MP) and the all-new Three Team Deathmatch, which pits three teams of two against each other. It's a brilliant addition, encouraging a surprising degree of tactical play from the off, even amongst rival journalists thrust together by fate.

This is aided by a respawn system that gives the option to respawn as normal or near a team-mate if they're not currently engaged in a battle. Alongside promoting co-operation, Naughty Dog also wants to bring balance to team-based games, mainly to stop it being quite as humiliatingly pointless for the losing side in an obvious mismatch.

The 'Player Balancing' system introduces Power Plays, which kick in when one side builds a clear lead. Examples include Elimination, which temporarily stops one side from respawning, and Exposed, which reveals the locations of the opposing team.

He adds: "We want to make it much more personal, so: I uploaded a screenshot that I think is cool; I put a clip online that I think is awesome." A new set of editing tools will facilitate this, enabling the creation of highlights reels and so on, which can be uploaded directly to Facebook or YouTube.

Additionally, Uncharted TV will live in the online interface, serving up Naughty Dog-produced content and the best of the community's efforts.

"We wanted to add split-screen to our multiplayer - it was a very important feature, the very first thing we started tackling when we started Uncharted 3 multiplayer," he explains. "We knew that we were going to have two points of view anyway, so that's basically all 3D is: rendering in the left eye and the right eye".

A nice touch here is that both participants in a split-screen game can sign in separately with their PSN IDs, ensuring no-one loses out on progression bonuses.

With Naughty Dog saying nothing about co-op missions for now (other than they're coming), that, for now, is everything we know about multiplayer. It's all looking as comprehensive, confident and compelling as one would hope. And that's before we've even had a play of the main adventure.

"We've got some pretty big plans for E3," Wells concludes with a grin. Excited yet?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-04-18-uncharted-3-multiplayer-hands-on

REV 09

wait, what does the OP mean by "Paid" boosters? in-game money right? because paying real money for perks would be...

REV 09 said:
wait, what does the OP mean by "Paid" boosters? in-game money right? because paying real money for perks would be...

In-game money, definitely. When you create an emblem, it shows in-game currency.

Also, this definitely looks player-driven co-op story, similar to Operations in KZ3. Here they show both factions:

Rsg6c.jpg

Zoibie

The 'Player Balancing' system introduces Power Plays, which kick in when one side builds a clear lead. Examples include Elimination, which temporarily stops one side from respawning, and Exposed, which reveals the locations of the opposing team.

I appreciate the sentiment, but that just sounds horrible.

Apart from that, loving what I'm hearing.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

WTF is this garbage?

And killstreaks...why am I not surprised...

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
That trailer music was terrible, but the gameplay stuff is completely ace. HYPE GET!

shagg_187 said:
I wonder what that can be...
From the interviews being posted here, it seems like this is activated once you get a specific amount of medals during a match. Kinda like a kill streak I guess, only they're achieved by getting a certain amount of specific medals.

alr1ghtstart said:
WTF is this garbage?
Oh boy! Situational Awareness makes a comeback, but this time it isn't a booster!

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu :(

I get why they put it there, but WHY!? Again!? WHY!?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
alr1ghtstart said:
WTF is this garbage?

It means that it doesn't matter how good you and your team are, even those that suck can win eventually.

Yeah, doesn't sound good.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
V_Ben said:
I'm sure they won't be abused. Sounds like death streaks, but for whole teams.
Death streaks were a terrible horrible fucking stupid addition in MW2. If you suck at a game, you suck, devs shouldn't be helping you out through bullshit means.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Looks like they're moving towards COD style customise your weapon before matches and away from Uncharted 2's pick up weapons on the map style.

Mr_Brit said:
Looks like they're moving towards COD style customise your weapon before matches and away from Uncharted 2's pick up weapons on the map style.
Ugh, I hope not. That just creates unbalance. I loved U2's weapon system.

Top Bottom