• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 being teased?

Derrick01

Banned
cant do final act. missing lots in final act
broken aiming.
messed up women
weak villian
over animated
weak melee.

nope. the team behind 3 isn't as good

-What's missing?

-All 3 have shit aiming, it's part of the overall crap shooting mechanics. But I played it after it was patched so I can't say how bad it was before.

-They did screw up Elena's face, fair enough.

-weak villain? How can you say that while defending UC2?

-What does that even mean?

-Eh? It had the best melee of the 3 games. It had a basic form of the system that's in Last of Us where the fight can change a bit depending on where you are in the environment.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Over what though, the first game? All 3 had super frustrating combat arenas that have dragon age 2 amount of enemies and bullet sponge enemies. Not to mention the garbage platforming and puzzles.

UC2's enemies were not bullet sponges until the end.

What is a "frustrating" combat arena?

I'll assume "dragon age 2 amounts of enemies" mean you think there were too many enemies, but seeing as Uncharted is a shooter, one should expect there to be enemies to shoot.

UC2 had a great variety of scenarios, at least on par with any modern TPS. UC3's open arena design wasn't to my taste, but some people really liked the style of gameplay that was fostered by those choices.

The platforming isn't challenging, but it happens in beautifully crafted geometry which holds some value in itself. Again, it's admittedly shallow, but there's value in superficial beauty.

Naughty dog is most likekly making UC4. They have 2 teams and one is working on TLOU. Whatevervthe othervgame is, theyve been at it for a while. This november would be the regular uncharted launch period. Unless they announce ps4 and uc4 is a launch title, i dont see them releasing any time soon. Also, wasnt there supposed to be uc3 mp news? Going free to play or something. It might involve that

meta4

I'd say pacing wise, I prefer UC2 to 3.

But I prefer Uncharted 3's combat and setpieces to Uncharted 2's.

I thought UC2 set pieces were better. The tank sequence alone was better than the entirety of UC3. The only set piece in UC3 that I thought was well implemented was the caravan chase sequence but that was again a variation of UC2 with horses instead of jeeps.

UC3 is better than most TPS games this gen but I thought it was nowhere close to the masterpiece that was UC2.

Derrick01

Banned
UC2's enemies were not bullet sponges until the end.

What is a "frustrating" combat arena?

I'll assume "dragon age 2 amounts of enemies" mean you think there were too many enemies, but seeing as Uncharted is a shooter, one should expect there to be enemies to shoot.

UC2 had a great variety of scenarios, at least on par with any modern TPS. UC3's open arena design wasn't to my taste, but some people really liked the style of gameplay that was fostered by those choices.

The platforming isn't challenging, but it happens in beautifully crafted geometry which holds some value in itself. Again, it's admittedly shallow, but there's value in superficial beauty.

A combat arena is something in a really linear game where all of a sudden you get to a more open area with lots of conveniently placed chest high walls and it makes you go "alright so a fight's about to happen". It's frustrating in Uncharted games because the enemies just keep pouring out of nowhere in them, hence the DA2 comparison.

StuBurns

Banned
Uncharted 4 should be next year. Sony are likely to have InFamous 3 and a KZ for this year, they should save their biggest guns, Uncharted and GT6, for Halo next year.

Loudninja

They should really give Uncharted to one of the B teams so that Naughty Dog can spread their wings. Milking a series is beneath them.
Yeah that wont happen like at all.

Sure you have other devs work on spin-offs, but the main series is not going to be handled over when its this popular.

Sean

Banned
Good. I'd rather have another U3 than 2. The guys who did 3 can do setpieces better.

I was very disappointed in the U3 setpieces. They may have been better on a purely technical level but they didn't excite or thrill me in any way like UC2's setpieces did. Nothing was as good as the moving train or the helicopter fight or the tank chase etc.

With Uncharted 3 my reaction was typically something like "Oh look the Chateau is burning, pretty fire. Cool I guess."

-What's missing?

when they got to atlantis; it was this huge city and you didn't get to do any exploration, then you were underground, and then the pot fell in the water, and then you escaped. It was a waste of a premise. And that part of the game felt too short. Atlantis was HUGE. but after 3-4 rooms you were at the end and there was no gameplay in the djinn water room. imo

-All 3 have shit aiming, it's part of the overall crap shooting mechanics. But I played it after it was patched so I can't say how bad it was before.

-They did screw up Elena's face, fair enough.

-weak villain? How can you say that while defending UC2? lazarvich felt more like a villian. He killed people and nearly killed the camera man. He also led the attack on the village.

-What does that even mean?
re: overanimated? drake tries to touch everything and is kind of stumble drunk.

-Eh? It had the best melee of the 3 games. It had a basic form of the system that's in Last of Us where the fight can change a bit depending on where you are in the environment.

The melee was clumsy and bad.

meta4

I was very disappointed in the U3 setpieces. They may have been better on a purely technical level but they didn't excite or thrill me in any way like UC2's setpieces did. Nothing was as good as the moving train or the helicopter fight or the tank chase etc.

With Uncharted 3 my reaction was typically something like "Oh look the Chateau is burning, pretty fire. Cool I guess."

Yup. The train and tank chase are some the best level's of this generation. Expertly paced levels. If only all TPS games had that level of craftsmanship.

Vorg

Banned
A combat arena is something in a really linear game where all of a sudden you get to a more open area with lots of conveniently placed chest high walls and it makes you go "alright so a fight's about to happen". It's frustrating in Uncharted games because the enemies just keep pouring out of nowhere in them, hence the DA2 comparison.

Yep. I fucking hate this in Uncharted DF and Uncharted 3. And people comparing Uncharted to Gears of War, please stop. Gears just plays much better and the enemy encounters actually look like they had some thought put into them. I only have a ps3, btw.

Elios83

Uncharted 4 should be next year. Sony are likely to have InFamous 3 and a KZ for this year, they should save their biggest guns, Uncharted and GT6, for Halo next year.

As far as we know both Sucker Punch and Guerrilla are working on new IPs for the PS4.
Also we shouldn't forget about Ready at Dawn which supposedly has a contract with Sony to make a PS4 game.
About Naughty Dog I guess that it's better not to rush Uncharted 4 to meet a deadline and instead make a game that can truly show the system's capabilities. So I also think that it will be a 2014 title unless they started working on it after Uncharted 2 was done (which is unlikely).

Derrick01

Banned
The melee was clumsy and bad.

And that's unique to UC3 how...?

This is what I was talking about in that X/Xenoblade thread a few days ago. When something is perceived as an all time classic the next game usually takes a beating even when the classic has the same problems.

meta4

Yep. I fucking hate this in Uncharted DF and Uncharted 3. And people comparing Uncharted to Gears of War, please stop. Gears just plays much better and the enemy encounters actually look like they had some thought put into them. I only have a ps3, btw.

Gears is a standard stop and pop shooter but lacking the verticality and mechanics of an Uncharted. UC2 shits over Gears from a great height.

StuBurns

Banned
Maybe that's why you have a distorted sense of Gears's quality. They both pale to Vanquish, but they're just as lazy as each other in terms of the average encounter.

+ add: re: uc3

that awful checkpoint in the water level "ships graveyard". after being spotted, you can't go back and try and stealth it because they checkpoint it past the enemies being alert.

meta4

Maybe that's why you have a distorted sense of Gears's quality. They both pale to Vanquish, but they're just as lazy as each other in terms of the average encounter.

Vanquish has great shooting. It's level design and combat scenarios leave a lot to be desired.

I must add though it is so much fun to shoot that I did not care. Vanquish 2 needs to happen.

but gears is stupid easy and borderline unbelievable boring. and I like the franchise too. Its like the only reason why I still held onto my x360 as I don't game on it much. gears doesn't play better. A game with next to no difficulty can't be any good. They messed it up when they made it co-op.

Vorg

Banned
Gears is a standard stop and pop shooter but lacking the verticality and mechanics of an Uncharted. UC2 shits over Gears from a great height.

Yeah, and that's why it works better. At least in Gears I know exactly how the character is going to react when I push a button to stick to a wall or to move from cover to cover.

StuBurns

Banned
Just start a new IP. I love Uncharted, bought a PS3 for that franchise alone, but c'mon...
I just called the guys and gals at ND, and they've whipped this up for you real quick:
AA_000.png
Looks cool!

Vanquish has great shooting. It's level design and combat scenarios leave a lot to be desired.

I must add though it is so much fun to shoot that I did not care. Vanquish 2 needs to happen.
I would agree with level design, but the combat design was considerably better than it's peers, of course it could still be improved, and no doubt would have had a sequel happened.

iratA

Yeah it's really not some super edgy or controversial thing to say that Uncharted as games are horrible. It's more common sense than anything. All of the advancements ND made this gen on those games was presentation, animation, video game acting, setpieces and things like that.

I'm all for everyone having their own opinion, but this bit is pretty inflammatory. Sounds like your stating fact, rather than opinion. Have your opinion, no final 'catch-all' is needed.

I would argue that Uncharted as a third person action/adventure game, offers more in the 'gameplay' department than most competing games of its ilk. Especially if you narrow it down to cover based shooters of this gen.

Yeah, and that's why it works better. At least in Gears I know exactly how the character is going to react when I push a button to stick to a wall or to move from cover to cover.

As do I in Uncharted. I can do a hell of alot more as far as movement goes in Uncharted then I can in Gears, and I can do it all with ease.

Go into cover, pop some shots, move over cover, snap a neck, jump to a higher platform, drop down on an enemy, all bam bam bam bam. Controls in Uncharted are pretty much perfect.

And as for the aiming in U3, it really didn't bother me either. I mean, I noticed a difference, but I simply adapted, it was no different then jumping into a different third person shooter IP and having to adapt.

Verendus

Banned
I loved Uncharted 2s mechanics. The shooting is simplistic but it's satisfying thanks to the level design and traversal ability.

I'm all for everyone having their own opinion, but this bit is pretty inflammatory. Sounds like your stating fact, rather than opinion. Have your opinion, no final 'catch-all' is needed.

I would argue that Uncharted as a third person action/adventure game, offers more in the 'gameplay' department than most competing games of its ilk. Especially if you narrow it down to cover based shooters of this gen.

This. Then again, l never had a problem with the controls, despite beating the games on Crushing.

meta4

but gears is stupid easy and borderline unbelievable boring. and I like the franchise too. Its like the only reason why I still held onto my x360 as I don't game on it much. gears doesn't play better. A game with next to no difficulty can't be any good. They messed it up when they made it co-op.

Same issue. When I played the first Gears my jaw dropped but I am just not impressed by the games any longer. Atleast in Uncharted you have the option of taking cover or climbing to the top to shoot or hang from the ledge and shoot etc with the level you are on changing form in some way or the other... Gears is always take cover on the ground and shoot with nothing else happening. Not too many interesting set pieces etc..

Vorg

Banned
As do I in Uncharted. I can do a hell of alot more as far as movement goes in Uncharted then I can in Gears, and I can do it all with ease.

Go into cover, pop some shots, move over cover, snap a neck, jump to a higher platform, drop down on an enemy, all bam bam bam bam.

Nope. sometimes Drake will just spaz out instead of sticking to a wall or he will refuse to stick to some walls. It doesn't work nearly as well. Sure looks pretty though.

Top Bottom