• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 being teased?

Le-mo

I don't know if I should be excited or not. I adored the original and part 2 but part 3 is infuriating me. I'm currently playing through it and the gun fights are no fun at all. They keep throwing enemies at you and then it turns into a grenade dodging fest. The worst part is when they throw the armored and shield guys into the mix. I had to rage quit multiple times already and I'm not enough done with the game. I don't remember it being this bad in the original or part 2.

Concept17

I don't know if I should be excited or not. I adored the original and part 2 but part 3 is infuriating me. I'm currently playing through it and the gun fights are no fun at all. They keep throwing enemies at you and then it turns into a grenade dodging fest. The worst part is when they throw the armored and shield guys into the mix. I had to rage quit multiple times already and I'm not enough done with the game. I don't remember it being this bad in the original or part 2.

Most the environments allow for multiple options when it comes to engagements. Try moving around a bit more rather than sitting on one wall/corner.

Krabardaf

I love Uncharted, I really really do, but I don't understand why everybody's so desperate for Uncharted 4. Naughty Dog have never made a fourth game in a franchise that wasn't a spin-off, and they've never brought a franchise across generations. Obviously, if a new Uncharted comes around, I hope it's great, but Naughty Dog should feel more free to make the games they want to.

Exactly, and I don't think Sony would oppose that. Plus when gamers will see the new IP, they'll probably be happy with it. Just look at The Last of Us.

Sounds like you just suck at shooting. Play on easy.

Atruvius

It's the game. I actually had fun playing Uncharted 2 on harder difficulties, the game never seemed unfair and there were many ways pass the combat encounter, like sneaking, while I had most fun playing UC3 on easy. The controls are worse in UC3 and sneaking isn't a viable option anymore.

Endo Punk

As long as it doesn't involve Elena having a child with Drake I am fine. I don't want that kind of story. UC3 though a dissapointment had a lot of great moments like the shipyard which is my highlight in the whole franchise, so I am not giving up on it. I still think it's too early and ND should not be hinting at anything but next year I'll definitely be ready for another adventure with Drake. Gotta say I love the character so definitely want to see him go on with Sully and gang, as long as no one is rebooted for the new gen. Fuck reboots!

Le-mo

Quite the opposite. I platinumed the first two games. The third one just seems unfair and the hit detection is not as on point. I just reached the village in the desert and immediately guys started throwing grenades with gun fires all over the place and the game forces me to find a weapon. I have encountered many instances of this in the game.

Quite the opposite. I platinumed the first two games. The third one just seems unfair and the hit detection is not as on point. I just reached the village in the desert and immediately guys started throwing grenades with gun fires all over the place and the game forces me to find a weapon. I have encountered many instances of this in the game.

I completed all 3 games on Hard and the first 2 on Crushing (Uncharted 3 will get the Crushing play through when I get enough time) and I don't recall any instance where Uncharted 3 was as hard as, for example, Uncharted 1 plane crash scene or the Temple scene, nor as hard as Uncharted 2 boss fight. And Uncharted 1 had much worst hit detection, especially when hitting an enemy with an automatic weapon.

As long as it doesn't involve Elena having a child with Drake I am fine. I don't want that kind of story. UC3 though a dissapointment had a lot of great moments like the shipyard which is my highlight in the whole franchise, so I am not giving up on it. I still think it's too early and ND should not be hinting at anything but next year I'll definitely be ready for another adventure with Drake. Gotta say I love the character so definitely want to see him go on with Sully and gang, as long as no one is rebooted for the new gen. Fuck reboots!

yeah I don't want them to have a child. see Mummy3. I was like eurgghhh

TedNindo

I'm expecting an amazing looking Uncharted demo at E3. It will make jaws drop and mouths water.
It'll be one of the most impressive things visually at E3 and since a very long time.
It might even be near the MGS2 visual impressiveness at its time.

But it will have the same bland and boring gameplay.

But enough people will be blinded by the amazing visuals to create a tsunami of hype.

Arne's comments doesn't really change anything at all, IMO.

There have been more devs than I can count in the past that purposefully say something's not true or not happening, when it is.

Not saying arne is, just that a dev saying that doesn't change anything to me.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Is there a reason why this thread hasn't been locked yet?

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
lol, gamers sometimes. How ADD do you have to be for the desert scene to upset you?

Is it really that difficult to trudge through a story related desert for a few minutes while Naughty Dog shows off their graphics and animation?
Actually I do have ADHD (thanks!), but that has nothing to do with my hatred for that part of the game. If they want to show off their graphics and animation, put out a trailer, or make it a brief in game cutscene. It completely threw off the flow of the game for me.

I am thirty years old, I work full time, travel 500 miles round trip every other week, and I'm going to school full time. I have very limited time for gaming, and therefore I have very little patience for bullshit in my games. Walking in a straight line for several minutes, graphically gorgeous or not, is the type of bullshit I hate. If they let me explore? That'd be different. They don't, you're trapped to walk up one path. There's zero penalties in the scene. You just keep walking forward. It's awful. The scene (or scenes plural, I can't really remember) where you're drugged is nearly as bad.

I loved Uncharted and Uncharted 2. I bought them both the day they came out. I bought UC3 the day it came out and played through it almost immediately. I was really disappointed by the last third of the game. I'm hoping TLoU and the inevitable UC4 avoid this sort of fluff. It ruins the game for me. I'd also like them to put in more exploration/less auto platforming, but I doubt I'll get that!

One of the other big problems with Uncharted 3's set of priorities was that it totally took replay value away from the game. Not only was the level and encounter design not as good, but also the heavy use of visual filters (for hallucinations and so on) and the frequent occasions on which the game deliberately disarmed Drake in order to force a fistfight (and uggggh, the clunkiness of the big fistfight lunk enemies and their repeating camera angles) made it so that cheats couldn't be worked into the game. Unlocks like skins, infinite ammo, giving yourself guns, or playing with assorted visual filters were standard in U1 and U2, but they couldn't work in U3 because of all the times the game was already filtered or all the times the game was scripted to disarm you, arm you with only a specific weapon, et cetera.

Uncharted 2 did a great job of having gameplay and story complement each other. Uncharted 3 picked story over gameplay pretty much every chance it got.

I love uncharted. UC3 was good, but not like 2. The story jumoed from place to place too quickly at times, and tbere were times where you wantedvto advance but couldnt just because they wantedvto show yoy something. That being said, i lobe the characters in uncharted. The games are fun and are a joy for me to play. As long as the story is entwrtaining, and the games are still fun, i say keep them coming. I want more indiana jones, indiana jones and the last crusade. Not indiana jones and the crystal skulls

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
You ok dude? You seem to have been in a bad mood since the beginning of the thread lol.
Really? do i sound so? to answer your question i'm doing fantastic thanks.
Well i think when arne comes in here and says Graham is NOT working with ND i don't see the reason why this is still up to debate. Or at least a thread title change would be nice.

I'm expecting an amazing looking Uncharted demo at E3. It will make jaws drop and mouths water.
It'll be one of the most impressive things visually at E3 and since a very long time.
It might even be near the MGS2 visual impressiveness at its time.

But it will have the same bland and boring gameplay.

But enough people will be blinded by the amazing visuals to create a tsunami of hype.

Since no one gets to play a game until a demo that only comes a month before the release of a game, it's pretty easy to build a hype train made of pretty production values.

troll.png

nd needs to throw uncharted in the bushes and work on a new ip .

Are these bushes perennials or biennials
leo.png
?

Spiegel

But that doesn't mean he isn't involved with the next Uncharted. Maybe Naughty Dog isn't doing it but Sony Bend is or someone else could be.

Yeah, the "Speculate further on who he may be working with! :)" could be a hint.

Like it's not ND, it's Bend.

And it would make more sense than U4. Starting VA/motion capture in January for a game launching this fall (next Bend project) sounds about right.

Le-mo

I completed all 3 games on Hard and the first 2 on Crushing (Uncharted 3 will get the Crushing play through when I get enough time) and I don't recall any instance where Uncharted 3 was as hard as, for example, Uncharted 1 plane crash scene or the Temple scene, nor as hard as Uncharted 2 boss fight. And Uncharted 1 had much worst hit detection, especially when hitting an enemy with an automatic weapon.
That's the thing. I never had problems with those levels and never did once rage quit but with 3 I just can't help it but Feel frustrated with the gun fights.

ZeroRay

I can completely understand someone not enjoying UC3 on crushing. Each Uncharted game had it's own approach to combat on the higher difficulties.

1 practically forced you to think outside the box when it came to shootouts. For example: Abandoning the use of the cover mechanic given and instead using the shoulder switching mechanic to angle your shots while hiding behind walls. Higher difficulties also forced you to move around more since enemies would converge on your position. I'm actually a huge fan of this gameplay and it made me enjoy replaying UC1 tremendously. Melee was also the best in the series as you could take out enemies quick and not disrupt the flow of gameplay.

2 made turtling in cover a more effective strategy but rewarded the player tremendously for trying different ways to take out enemies in different ways. It also added other elements to the combat environment from time to time to make sure things never got too tiring. A good example of both things I listed could be found in the chapter 15 train wreck shootout.

3 on the higher difficulties is pretty much trial and error; each encounter has one really effective way to tackle it, and a third of the time that's turtling and blindfire because the enemies have a tendancy to idiotically run into Drake's reticule (UC1's blindfire was appropriately gimped). They also mangaged to make the spawning even worse than the first game. Best example would be the start of chapter 15 (yeah, what a difference a game makes): Basically what happens is enemies spawn in a way putting Drake immediately at a disadvantage with you having to take out an armored and shield guy in front of you in addition to two other enemies and if you manage to do that, you better know what's coming next, cause if you don't, you're dead. You know what happens? Enemies spawn directly behind you without even a slight hint, making sure the only way you're prepared for them next time is to die first. Melee is also a death sentence when facing a group of enemies since it goes into QTE mode that you can't escape from. Uncharted 3's combat discourages you to experiment since dying comes quick if you deviate from the script, combined with the sloppiest mechanics in the series just delivers a straight up "UGH" to me. WTF happened, surely one of ND's combat designers realized what was going on in production, right?

Well, that's my rant. Props to badcrumble for stating my other criticisms on UC3 better than I ever could.

Splint

Usually after 3 games, they either take a break or do a prequel. I think we wont be seeing Uncharted until maybe next E3 or the one after. It will be a PS4 Uncharted is back type of thing. Probably not even a number 4. Just Uncharted something.

Robot Pants

U3 gets way too much undeserved hate. It wasn't as solid as 2 sure, but that's a hard act to follow as it's one of the best games ever.
But U3 is still one hell of an experience and leagues better than most garbage that gets released.

Having said that, I really don't think there should be another one. I think they should end it with 3.

LastNac

Holding right or pushing forward isn't anymore interactive then pressing play on a bluray remote. One requires you to keep the button held, but that's not more interactive, it's the same action, just for a longer period, and a really boring period in the case of that sequence.

This idea of merging film and video games is fundamentally flawed, they are completely contradictory things, games are about freedom, and expression, film is about being directed, being catered. For all the acclaim of the Uncharted series for it's visuals and it's story and it's acting, it pales in comparison to even the most pulpy action films, it's just impressive when compared to it's peers who try, and fail to do something similar. It's not using it's interactively interestingly at all. And that's fine in the first two games, because essentially the story is brief, and just there as a premise for whatever antics you'll be taking part in, but in UC3 it's far more intrusive, and as terrible as that was, even that would have been more acceptable if the actual gameplay wasn't massively worse than UC2.

The game is everything that is bad about video games, and to follow on from such a refined, immaculate experience like UC2, I would say it was the single biggest letdown of any game.

Not true at all. Regardless of one's disruption of a film's pace, you and I are always going to see the same events and iamges on screen(frame by frame), therefore these are moments that I can't change, only pause, fast forward, or stop. That's not interaction. Chapter 18 gives you the ability to "direct" Drake. I pushed Drake to the other side of the Dune myself without interuption, my best friend stopped him half way, resulting in Drake resting and even putting his hands on his knee's. The animations were dependent on the interaction, same goes throughout the entire chapter itself. I had a Drake cross the second Night, shivering, but still standing tall. My friend didn't, his Drake collpased on all fours, defeated. Also, you might find the deeper context and psychology of a character "boring" but I don't, that entire chapter for Drake was, as corney as it sounds, more of a journey inside than out.

The notion of a hybrid experience isn't as much "fundamentally flawed" as it is young. No medium began as it is now, it would be disrespectful and irresponsible to halt any and all growth in this area. The interactive portion of any experience can still be about control and intimacy with the character and the world. Cinema is a noun, where "cinematic" is clearly an adjective, that is what needs to be carried over from the other medium. There can still be interaction and mechanic immersion, and that can be coupled with the expression(which is an attribute universal to all medium's, not just film) of film as well as its production value. The truth is, the formula of David Cage is more cinema than game, and all though I favor the trappings of "cinematic" the way it is found in Uncharted 3 comapred to the work of Cage I am not calling for its purge from the medium. We need even more diversity and different genres in this medium, not less. Different(or what you deem "flawed") should be celebrated, not scorned. Hell, I don't like the substance(story and meaning) hollowness of most Platinum Game's titles, that doesn't mean they are terrible, just different.

Lastly, we need to drop this notion that "video games" needs to adhere to a certain formula. Hell, we need to drop the label. "Game" doesn't cut it anymore when it comes to describing these experiences in full. I never sought out any of the mechanics when it came to the Uncharted series, if I want "fun" I will pop in PSASBR or Smash Brothers, somthing basic, something simple. From day one, Uncharted has been a series that I pursued on the basis of "what", not the how. UC1 and UC2 were great but UC3 changed my mind about everything I had played on a console up till that point. UC1 and UC2 had great cutscenes but ever since I was a child I have dreamed more and more about retaining interaction with the story, a story that wasn't just "filler" to get me to the next combat area. As the years have passed I have noticed things ease up more and more on the cutscene and have let me keep control, albeit ever so slightly. Uncharted 2 was one of those games that showed me a neat cutscene but then began to play with the camera work, pulling back, closing in, but even then still looking so, so "gamey" overall. The two moments in Uncharted 2 that I was the most impressed with was the chase scene with the Jeep with Drake on the stairs and Drake climbing up in the caves, only to see the yeti in the background pull out of frame. Those were the moments that left the biggest impression on me, not just because I thought they were cool but because I thought they were revolutionary in there own right. Everything these days seems to get butchered on "The Big Screen" these days, mostly due to the fact that it has become(or always was) the most limited medium to tell stories in. UC2 gave me the idea that a truly interactive cinematic experience, something where I not only can see the character in a cinematic presenation but also interact with him/her was possible.

Sure, as the year ticked on after Uncharted 3's reveal I began to check out some things here and there that had one or two really great cinematic moments(such as the fantastic beginning of Arkham City) as a whole however, I doubted my hypothesis about how these interactive moments could be presented cinematicaly would ever come true. And then came Uncahrted 3. I had very high expectations for Uncharted 3 and the actual release surpassed everyone of them. I could write and entire book about how I was pleased and surprised but I think I will spare these poor readers. The point is though, I have grown tired of only being delegated the "shootbang" parts of play, the simple, patronizing "Just go shoot something" errand. Uncharted 3 was a breath of fresh air for those exhaustions, hell, the first five chapters Drake doesn't even half a gun, add that with the Drug induced moments, Chapter 18, and the great puzzles and I was in heaven. Often the complaint is that, from a story perspective, Drake, after being in the desert for at least three days, shouldn't be able to get into a gun fight mid chapter 19 and I agree. That was a moment I feel catered to the adhd who it turned off if they aren't shooting something every ten minutes. The immersion/story I feel would have benefitted from a Chapter that all of a sudden through you back into the action, a decision that was probably made in mind for audience then it was for story teller.

When it comes down to it, while we can argue the sophisitcaiton of control or depth of interaction, UC3 gave me more moments where I could the joystick and the character on screen would move, that is somethig I wouldn't trade for all the train sequences in the world. UC2 gave me the idea but UC3 made me a believer.

Ask yourself though, wouldn't making that whole thing a cutscene truly make it what you already label it, a "film"?

You seem to feel that overall it fails as a "video game". Honestly I agree, like most video games it doesn't have a HUD with text directions, there is no waypoint, no potion to drink or stats to factor. There is a man who's missions aren't really that objective from a "game" standpoint but instead a narrative one. There is a man who is trying to find his friend in the desert whilst being visually reminiscent in presentation of some of the greatest films of our time, and the best thing is, I'm leading him there with nothing to pull me out of that moment, be it visually, mechanically, or from an immersion standpoint. I'm sorry you don't care for Uncharted 3, but without a doubt, I love it. Uncharted 3 turned out to be what I wanted and way more. It was something I sought and truly enjoyed, and I am willing to "walk forward" a thousand times over to get another experience like it again...

Top Bottom