• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: Sam Drake's Makeover, "Weird Changes."

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Just to compare, I'd love to read a synopsis of the original plot, even though that'll never happen. But this 'vengeful bitter brother' thing doesn't have to be cliché if it's handled well... Actually pretty curious now.

It's a shame we'll never know what happened there behind the scenes around the time of the turnover.

btw someone asked earlier, but Amy Hennig did get a final mention in the credits, at the very end: 'thanks to Amy Hennig for all her contributions to the Uncharted franchise' or something.

I respect what Neil and Bruce did, but like some others I do think U4 could've been way better, so knowing about Amy's take would be interesting.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Well, the fact that
Sam lied
in the final version of the game is similarly on the nose. The way I see it, this version of Sam wouldn't have betrayed Nate because he would have been antagonistic from the outset.

I actually thought the
Sam lied betrayal was a clever way for ND to scratch the "family betrayal" itch stories like this always trope their way into, without actually having the "And I've been a villain all along...brother!!" "twist" that another storyteller probably would have gone with. The betrayal actually comes off as more sad, to me. By the time that's revealed in the game, it's at a point where we see that Drake's heart isn't as into the thrill of the adventure as it was in the beginning, but for Sam, that thirst is all he has. He doesn't want Avery's treasure because he wants it. He wants Avery's treasure because he needs it. Nate has Elena to go home to, and Sam almost put an end to that if we hadn't seen, over the course of three, now four games, how much Nate and Elena are clearly devoted to, and in love, with one another. Sam is jealous of his brother in a lot of ways, but not so jealous that he'd commit fratricide over it. That seems like an extreme reaction to a pulpy adventure series like Uncharted. Anyway, my point is that Sam is a sad character, and even in the end, he still hasn't learned his lesson. He and Sully go off to have god knows how many adventures, but I think that's fine for Sam. He's happy with that life, and he learns that Nate is happy with his. And then you have recipient of the "Best Wife of the Year" Award, Elena, supporting her husband in a way that enables them to have fun adventures, minus the gunfights, and collapsing ruins. As the character is presented, the lie betrayal feels true to the Sam we see in the flashbacks. He loves his brother dearly. (as an aside, I totally knew Sam was full of shit from the moment he said, "I'm in trouble, little brother," after showing up at Nate's office) I think having Sam be antagonistic from the outset could have worked, but was unnecessary for what Uncharted as a whole is, and for the character of Nathan Drake. What would a brother out to kill him have really added to the character or development of Nate, and how would it have really separated him from the other antagonists he'd come across in the past besides the "Oh snap, it's his brother!" dun dun dunnnn! type twist?

Overall, I think the antagonists of Uncharted 4 aren't nearly as important as Drake battling between two people he clearly loves. Sam may have been gone for 15 years, but he's still his brother. Rafe and Nadine existed solely so that we'd have a reason for third person shooter gunfights and the expected final boss fight that video games are apparently supposed to have.

I spoilered all that just in case. I don't really think I go into crazy spoilers, but you never know.

I think an evil Sam isn't necessary, but I'm sure Naughty Dog would have made it work. I'm just glad that they didn't turn Uncharted into The Last of Us as far as tone goes (oh, I love The Last of Us to death; it's one of my favorite PS3 and PS4 titles; but it's The Last of Us. Uncharted is Uncharted). The vengeance seeking brother just feels too cynical for the Uncharted series. But that's just me.

EDIT: I liked Sam a lot. I think he's an interesting mirror to the current Nathan Drake. I no doubt could see Drake and Sam having an absolute ball if he was there during Drake's Fortune, Among Thieves, and Drake's Deception. I think his reappearance in Nate's life was convenient for the sake of the narrative, but I think this game wraps up the character development seen in Uncharted 3 a lot cleaner (and I love Uncharted 3 and it's characterization of Drake!).
Sam basically reminded Drake of the person he used to be, and wanted to let go of that aspect of himself and focus on finding happiness with his wife. I think Sam was interesting character, but mainly because if the juxtaposition against Nate. I don't think I can see Sam heading up an Uncharted game, for example. I can see Sully and Chloe leading an Uncharted game, but I don't think Sam would be a strong enough character to carry a game himself.

FluxWaveZ

I think having Sam be antagonistic from the outset could have worked, but was unnecessary for what Uncharted as a whole is, and for the character of Nathan Drake. What would a brother out to kill him have really added to the character or development of Nate, and how would it have really separated him from the other antagonists he'd come across in the past besides the "Oh snap, it's his brother!" dun dun dunnnn! type twist?

The teaser specifically has Sam say: "But you can't outrun the past. And when it catches up, when all your lies collapse around you... I'll be there. Sifting through the wreckage."

I think an "evil Sam out to kill Nathan because revenge" is putting an alternative extremely basically and superficially, compared to how it actually could have been written. Instead, I could see a story where that's actually not Sam's goal, but it's to actively expose Nathan for who he is and was to the people close to him, who he's lied to for years (including Elena). Kind of like
the chapters in UC4 where Elena finds out he lied and discovers his origins, but taken further by making them the crux of what the villain wants to use against Drake. Nate is off living this comfortable life, and Sam's objective wouldn't be to shoot him, but to destroy it through psychological means as he returns unexpectedly into Nathan's life. I'd also see them, in this story, not handwaving the fact that Sam was created for UC4 through Nate saying "I was looking everywhere for you!" but actively emphasizing that Drake WASN'T doing that, and that he chose to completely forget about his brother to pursue what HE wanted, as we know that's a compulsion Drake has been struggling with throughout the series.

In the end, all we can do is speculate. Like you say, though, I don't think it's out of the question that Naughty Dog could make it work, and I very much disagree with the notion that the story we got is inherently any better than any other alternative that could have been presented, even though it's good.

I have no idea what you're all talking about. That dialogue from the teaser was clearly Cameraman Jeff vowing his revenge on Drake for leaving him for dead in Uncharted 2.

KiraXD

Out of sheer chance I saw both North and Tudyk speak at a PAX East panel a few weeks ago. I had no idea they may've done VA together in an Uncharted and may've had a history.

Theyre friends. Theyre also both in the show, Con-man, Alan Tudyks new series. Nolan has a cool part in it.

sviri

Wow I haven't seen this in over 2 years.

Now that I've played it, I think the change regarding Sam is great. I am glad that they wrote a character that I for the most part
was rooting for.

I'm not reaching at all.
Watch the opening scene to Chapter 17 where I got the "What an Asshole" quote. The way Nate says it and looks at Elena makes it 100% clear that he realizes that he pulled the same crap on Elena that Sam pulled on him.

And there's also that pirate table scene.

If the quote and how the scene was framed was a realisation that
he pulled the same crap on Elena
, the pirate table scene was a realisation that
even though he got lied into the whole adventure thing, he's never been as fulfilled and elated by what he's doing in a long, long time, and that transparency to Elena makes him quiver and fall back, apologising to Elena for just being "happy."

The second one is more subtle, but it's a clear realisation on his part that he
enjoys his adventure, and that Sam is basically that x 100, because unlike Nate, he has nothing else.

Top Bottom