• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted (PS4) announced, developed by protozoans and Druckmann's evil karma

Kr0

Neo Member
I think knack was given the go ahead so that japan studio learn to get accustomed to the ps4 and compute aswell as help them to get used to how to develop titles in a more western fashion.

If that made any sense

Also this was needed this is what is gonna sell the ps4 in holiday 2014.

KAL2006

Banned
I don't want a prequel or a different character, I want Uncharted 4 starring Drake. I know people will complain but they can still blow people's mind, next gen graphics, more innovation in gameplay, make things more interactive, fix the gunplay issued in Uncharted 3, more open environments, better puzzles and mix platforming with shooting, I really enjoy this parts in the series he most and not just pure platforming which can get boring. As for prequels and spin offs with a different character, do that stuff for Vita.

That is kinda my point. TLOU was new and interesting. If they made TLOU 4, well, it would no longer be new or interesting.

How do you know it wouldn't be? It's possible to keep a game series fresh for an extended period of time. People keep bringing up how ND has always gone on to a new series with each new generation, which is obviously true. But this is the first time that they're sticking with a series. I'd say that it's going to be interesting to see what they do now that they're moving a series to a new generation. It seems like many are just assuming that they're going to just make a prettier Uncharted and call it a day.

Like I said, they're building off their PS3 engine which will save time, they'll likely have more than three years of development by the time it's released (more than any other Uncharted sequel) and they have a new console that's significantly more powerful than the one that they were working on. It was obvious with U3 and TLoU that they'd already hit the ceiling with the PS3, so the PS4 should open up many possibilities for them.

Well this show seemed like a bust. Of course Uncharted was coming. I was hoping they would have had a single unexpected game to reveal.

And seeing that its the Uncharted 3 people is a bit of a bummer but Ill wait and see if they at least seem like they know what went wrong with 3.

Uncharted 3's problems felt like ones caused by not having enough time.

The base is good. It looks technically better then U2 and the writing is better for the first 3rd of the game.

They just fucked up the difficulty of the combat encounters by spamming to many heavy armour guys at you. No concept of stealth or hide and seek in the combat.

Likewise the writing was good... for the first 2 3rds of the story. Then they just tossed everything interesting out the window to end the game in the same fashion they ended every other game instead of using it as a chance to give the main characters some growth.

Drake realising that the treasure hunting gig is having a negative effect on his life and his closest loved ones and maybe he needs to step back and reassess everything? Fuck that. Find the treasure, save the world and all is forgiven because.... reasons.

Also I dont think I want just another Uncharted with better graphics. I hope they try change it a little. Make the world wider. Give you more options in combat. I dont know. Just shake it up.

Freeman

Banned
This needs to be the Last Uncharted by ND and maybe the last one with Drake in it, than you can have Sony Bend working on other games for the series, with Francis drake perhaps.

Fuck to the no, hell I don't wanna play as a goddamn pirate. Fuck pirates.

Hopefully it's just the intro chapter.

This need to be the Last Uncharted by ND and maybe the last one with Drake in it, than you can have Sony Bend working on other games for the series, with Francis drake perhaps.

Maybe Halo should stop featuring Master Chief too.

andycapps

Probably posted before, but I'm guessing this isn't about Nathan Drake but about Francis. Voice was totally different, the "treasure map," the fact that there is no subtitle which leads me to think it's a prequel of sorts.

That being said, start reading if you think I'm right and want to dig into where they might take the story. As far as gameplay, I'm assuming exploration, dialogue, and presumably less combat. If any combat, maybe swordplay.

This is pretty cool:

In 1573, he joined Guillaume Le Testu, a French buccaneer, in an attack on a richly laden mule train. Drake and his party found that they had captured around 20 tons of silver and gold. They buried much of the treasure, as it was too much for their party to carry. (An account of this may have given rise to subsequent stories of pirates and buried treasure.) Wounded, Le Testu was captured and later beheaded. The small band of adventurers dragged as much gold and silver as they could carry back across some 18 miles of jungle-covered mountains to where they had left the raiding boats. When they got to the coast, the boats were gone. Drake and his men, downhearted, exhausted and hungry, had nowhere to go and the Spanish were not far behind.

At this point Drake rallied his men, buried the treasure on the beach, and built a raft to sail with two volunteers ten miles along the surf-lashed coast to where they had left the flagship. When Drake finally reached its deck, his men were alarmed at his bedraggled appearance. Fearing the worst, they asked him how the raid had gone. Drake could not resist a joke and teased them by looking downhearted. Then he laughed, pulled a necklace of Spanish gold from around his neck and said "Our voyage is made, lads!" By 9 August 1573, he had returned to Plymouth.

rdrr gnr

How do you know it wouldn't be? It's possible to keep a game series fresh for an extended period of time. People keep bringing up how ND has always gone on to a new series with each new generation, which is obviously true. But this is the first time that they're sticking with a series. I'd say that it's going to be interesting to see what they do now that they're moving a series to a new generation. It seems like many are just assuming that they're going to just make a prettier Uncharted and call it a day.

Like I said, they're building off their PS3 engine which will save time, they'll likely have more than three years of development by the time it's released (more than any other Uncharted sequel) and they have a new console that's significantly more powerful than the one that they were working on. It was obvious with U3 and TLoU that they'd already hit the ceiling with the PS3, so the PS4 should open up many possibilities for them.
I wonder if the lack of a subtitle has to do something more.

I think Uncharted 4 is bigger than Titanfall personally.

Lol, of course it is. Titanfall franchise hasn't even sold 1 copy yet.

It seems like we go through the same bullshit every time Naughty Dog announces a game. TLoU was just going to be another boring zombie game to many people here. Give the damn studio some credit to not just do what some here expect them to do with a new console and their most popular series.

Would love to see an ad with Nathan Drake wearing a I <3 Haters hat. Seriously people who seem to desperately want the end of the franchise are annoying as hell. Go beg for the end of other franchise with 10 games in it, this one only has 3 yet.

wapplew

We know nothing about the game, why don't we wait for more info before jump in to conclusion?

This ND we talking about, also there is no number after the title yet, I ready for any surprise from ND.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
But the problems with multiplayer were not about execution or inexperience. They were bad ideas at their core. I don't think another shot necessarily means a clean slate or logical improvement. Nothing about what Justin Richmond did was indicative of some greater potential.

I think it is pretty obvious I don't agree with your premise.

HAH!

I hate how incredibly 1 dimensional all the characters are. They show hints of progress and arcs or learning stuff throughout the campaign but in the end they go nowhere. They even end up repeating the same mistakes sometimes.

In Uncharted 3 I liked how they hinted that
Drake isn't his real name
but then it went nowhere, I'd like to see these things fleshed out and give more believability to the characters
I agree can be very frustrating

I think they tread far too closely to the tropes of pulp adventure like Indy and Romancing the Stone which are never known for their depth or character development

But Naughty Dog should probably realise they are bigger than anything else in the pulp adventure genre now so they should be defying tropes and setting new standards for story telling in the genre.

EGM1966

The internet in action:

Sony where's the big franchises? Why all these new untried IPs? Who the hell green-lit Knack? Killzone has never been that popular. Where's Uncharted? Where's God of War? Why is GT6 heading to PS3? MS is bringing Forza 5. MS will be bringing Halo 5. MS will probably bring another Gears title.

Sony announces next Uncharted for PS4 - another entry in the most successful new IP introduced on PS3 that has proven enormously popular.

Sony why did you announce another Uncharted? Why not promote more new IP? Uncharted is tired. Give me new stuff!

It never changes.

Uncharted is announced because its an obvious and necessary title to have on PS4. If you didn't think there would be more Uncharted I presume you don't think there will be another Halo or Forza?

Honestly - while I prefer new stuff myself this is an obvious, necessary and key title to get on the radar.

Sony has shown a lot of new titles and already launched with some potentially risky new IP. To date the only bigger known franchise shown outside of Killzone has been Second Son so I think we should accept Sony's need to get confirmation that one of it's true big gun franchise exclusives will indeed be coming to PS4.

andycapps

I think it will be a 're-imagined' Uncharted with a more serious tone, kind of a mix between the Last of us and Uncharted.

I'm thinking they're going to address what many have said is their big hangup with the series, that there is so much combat in the titles to date. I think we'll still have combat, but it's going to be different than before, and like I've mentioned several times, I think this is going to be a different time period. Like the 1500's. Also, more dialogue and exploration.

BibiMaghoo

Who is? Todd Stashwick is not.

Nope, got confused over this.

screenshot2013-11-15amfs64.png

Blair Herter is.

Erm, they did, at least 3 times. Halo ODST, Reach and Wars.

Its not like a guy who says like two things once a while is especially irreplaceable. He is just a cool suit.

An expansion pack and a strategy game?

Halo Reach is the only main line Halo without Master Chief. There are 4 and another one coming next year with Master chief. Let's not muddy the waters.

I guess if they were to make a cheap expansion to U3, they could have another character. Or if they made like a puzzle game I guess.

Sanctuary

So what happened to the "One franchise per console" spiel they had recently given? Or does this simply mean that Uncharted will be the only franchise ND does on the PS4, and they may or may not have another single experience game as well?

Uncharted needs to die already, and ND needs to start something new.

Nymphae

Banned
The internet in action:

Sony where's the big franchises? Why all these new untried IPs? Who the hell green-lit Knack? Killzone has never been that popular. Where's Uncharted? Where's God of War? Why is GT6 heading to PS3? MS is bringing Forza 5. MS will be bringing Halo 5. MS will probably bring another Gears title.

Sony announces next Uncharted for PS4 - another entry in the most successful new IP introduced on PS3 that has proven enormously popular.

Sony why did you announce another Uncharted? Why not promote more new IP? Uncharted is tired. Give me new stuff!

It never changes.

Uncharted is announced because its an obvious and necessary title to have on PS4. If you didn't think there would be more Uncharted I presume you don't think there will be another Halo or Forza?

Honestly - while I prefer new stuff myself this is an obvious, necessary and key title to get on the radar.

Sony has shown a lot of new titles and already launched with some potentially risky new IP. To date the only bigger known franchise shown outside of Killzone has been Second Son so I think we should accept Sony's need to get confirmation that one of it's true big gun franchise exclusives will indeed be coming to PS4.

lol I knew this would be the reaction when I saw the reveal. We just can't be happy with anything it seems.

Sanctuary

andycapps

So what happened to the "One franchise per console" spiel they had recently given? Or does this simply mean that Uncharted will be the only franchise ND does on the PS4, and they may or may not have another single experience game as well?

Uncharted won't die, it's one of Sony's biggest franchises. A lot of people had thought that they would pass the baton off to an up and coming studio that Sony has, but it looks like they're keeping it in house. You can bet that a sequel for Last of Us is in production now, but I also wouldn't be surprised if Naughty Dog have grown to be a 3 game studio and that they have an original IP in the works. Seems ridiculous, but if anyone can figure out the logistics of doing that, they could. I'm assuming they either have 2 teams and a small team working on DLC, or they have 3 teams working on separate games with a small team on DLC for Last of Us right now.

I think Uncharted needs to stay alive, and you need to stop talking about Uncharted. If you don't like the franchise what the hell is your problem? Each Uncharted has made more money than the previous one. They won't stop when there's a huge fanbase out there, just because a couple of petty haters like you exist.

Lol, of course it is. Titanfall franchise hasn't even sold 1 copy yet.

Would love to see an ad with Nathan Drake wearing a I <3 Haters hat. Seriously people who seem to desperately want the end of the franchise are annoying as hell. Go beg for the end of other franchise with 10 games in it, this one only has 3 yet.

Well I say that because Titanfall gets talked up like it is this big juggernaut and no game can match its "system wars" potential. Fanboy goggles aside, Uncharted has been proved to move consoles like few other first party exclusives. Titanfall will sell, no doubt, but it is actually tied to three platforms so its system selling ability remians to be seen. I wouldn't doubt Microsoft will fight to have the Xbox One version release a month before the others.

Sanctuary

I think Uncharted needs to stay alive, and you need to stop talking about Uncharted. If you don't like the franchise what the hell is your problem? Each Uncharted has made more money than the previous one. They won't stop when there's a huge fanbase out there, just because a couple of petty haters like you exist.

Oh look, another "I like Uncharted, and I hate you because you don't!" post. Regardless, they need to work on something new. The series was already growing stale, and now it's just going to become another CoD/Halo franchise. Barely adding anything new, and relying on recycling past successes.

Korigama

I think it will be a 're-imagined' Uncharted with a more serious tone, kind of a mix between the Last of us and Uncharted.
Terrible idea. It would be better to kill off the franchise now and just give people more TLoU, if that's what they actually want.

If you're talking about TLoU, when did they announce it was going to be a series? As for them announcing only doing one franchise per console, I don't have a "link", but the quote was from NeoGaf.

In late 2009 we were given a simple task - develop Naughty Dog's next big franchise.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ressure-of-creating-a-new-naughty-dog-success

As far as the link you posted, they already created two franchises on the PS3, so that whole thing is out the window now. And even ignoring TLoU, you seem to be taking what they're saying out of context. He wasn't implying that they'd make a new franchise for one console and then dump it for the next. They had reason to do that in the past. They didn't own the Crash license and Jak was dropping in popularity in sales. That's not the case with Uncharted.

We just got a new IP from Naughty Dog about half a year ago. They are doing something new and it was huge. The DLC for that game hasn't even released yet. Its still fresh. This is like asking Microsoft to dump Halo or asking Nintendo to dump Zelda. You don't miss out on deploying your nuclear warheads.

Oh look, another "I like Uncharted, and I hate you because you don't!" post.

I don't hate you at all. It's just incomprehensible to ask for the franchise to "die already" when it has 3 games in it, each has been more successful than the previous one, and a great amount of fans want more.

It's just nonsense you're spewing. You can always not buy the next Uncharted and buy another game instead.

And they can still innovate with new mechanics in Uncharted. They have so much more possibilities now with the PS4 hardware... No need to start yet another new IP right now.

I just want Uncharted 4 to be closer to a Uncharted 2/The Last of US game than straight up Uncharted 3.

If any key talent left Naughty Dog after Uncharted 2, pay to get them back.

I was really happy to hear Naughty Dog was doing a new Uncharted. I feel like this franchise still has places to go and improvements that can be made. I'm glad they didn't just throw it off to some B team to work on going forward. Naughty Dog can learn from the mistakes they made in U3, and deliver something amazing on PS4.

And for those suggesting Uncharted should go away, allow me to remind you that sales for this franchise are still growing with each release. This isn't a series that has peaked, and is now headed south. I think it's still got room to grow.

dr_rus

Uncharted 3 story was pretty ropey to be honest. I like the human elements like finding out about Nat's past and interactions with Chloe/Elena/Sully. But the adventure story was pretty crap. That part at the end where the
Arab dudes rescue Nat from the kill zone on horse back
was beyond cheesy.
Exactly. There were several moments in U3 where I was literally scratching my head as to why that just happened at all. The story in U3 was bad, the game around the story was rather good though.

Anybody else hopes its not about nathan and feels like his arc should end here? Well it would be fun if it were about some "competitor" Nathan caused him to go into prison. Now the Competitor is out and seeks revenge.
Uncharted = Nathan. If you want another lead then you should play TLoU or some other game. Drake is 75% of what makes Uncharted Uncharted. There is no reason to call a game Uncharted if there is no Nathan Drake in it.

Top Bottom