• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted (PS4) announced, developed by protozoans and Druckmann's evil karma

There is no "UC2" or "UC3" or "TLOU" team.
I thought this was clear/known by now.
They swap their members all the time. Especially after one game/project is done.

Neither. Development teams don't stay static.

UC3 members, once that was completed, would have moved over to help finish TLoU while others stayed to work on UC3's multiplayer DLC and patches. Members of TLoU's team would have moved on to help pre-production of Uncharted 4, while others would've stayed to work on TLoU's single player DLC and multiplayer.

You move team members around to work on what needs to get done. You don't keep people who all work under one roof on the same team arbitrarily, it's inefficient and there's no point.

So, can we assume this will be primarily handled by the clearly more talented team members, or by the "hey you guys go start on UC3 while we finish up UC2" team?

The series feels like it wants to get serious about characterisation and themes but chickens out in favour of being happy-happy adventure story again. They need to decide which way they want to go.

Exactly, don't dip your toe in the water and then run away.

The whole Indiana Jones style of characterisation has worn off by now and I think they need to change things up a bit or else it's gonna feel like the same stuff again but shinier

And everyone realises Drake is a mess, even Drake himself. But they never change it cos of what we said above. Sully even tells him he's dumb and this stuff will kill him but gladly follows him anyway

Fact of the matter is, nobody wanted more Uncharted.

Naughty Dog formed two teams because the primary team was tired of Uncharted and people were about to leave the company

Most Uncharted fans got tired of the series after the third game

Space IP = do want

Uncharted = do not want

You guys are being overly harsh on Justin Richmond. Not every single problem in UC3 was his fault. There were some questionable level and combat encounter design decisions and some parts of the game were certainly a little wonkier than they should be, but I'm confident that a lot of that came down to the fact the game was rushed to meet the release date they trotted out.

They would've heard a lot of the complaints from Uncharted 3 and I don't think they're going to make the same mistakes twice.

I'd like to believe that... but this is the same team that took all of the complaints about Situational Awareness in U2 (an optional wallhack perk) and turned it into a FORCED state of play, that when activated, showed you and your whole teams' locations to the entire enemy team, from any distance.

foxtrot3d

Banned
A lot of people seem disappointed that they aren't working on a new IP but who says they aren't? ND is capable of developing more than one game at a time. Anywho, an UC prequel with Sir Francis Drake as the main character could be very interesting. The core gameplay would also have to be drastically different since they didn't have automatic pistols and assault rifles in the 16th Century, definitely wanna see some gameplay.

gadwn

Uncharted 3 is the best one in the series. I love you "b-team"!

I really can't comprehend the hate that the third one gets every damn time someone mentions it.

Needless too say, my hopes for the next one is crazy high.

Bundy

Banned
So, can we assume this will be primarily handled by the clearly more talented team members, or by the "hey you guys go start on UC3 while we finish up UC2" team?
My head hurts...

Naughty Dog formed two teams because the primary team was tired of Uncharted and people were about to leave the company

Space IP = do want

Uncharted = do not want
Now it hurts even more.
SniperHunter, stop posting here.

Zemm

Space IP = do want

Uncharted = do not want

Where's all this from?

Space IP = do want

Uncharted = do not want

LOL you're on a roll

Space IP = do want

Uncharted = do not want

lol seriously?

Nobody wanted more Uncharted? Most Uncharted fans got tired of the series after the third game? How are you backing up these claims? I guess all the people being excited on social media/forums are just lying.

I, for one, did want more Uncharted and wasn't tired of the game after the 3rd one (although I do want them to change up the formula somewhat).

Stark

Banned

Space IP = do want

Uncharted = do not want

I'm pretty sure you don't speak for Uncharted fans. You should also have a better look around.

IvorB

Totally agree. After beating Uncharted 3, I thought they really needed to switch up the formula if they make another Uncharted. I suggested something similar to what you are describing on the ND forums a long time ago (Nate and company being chased/hunted and them having to figure out who and why). It just needs a change in the formula because if it ends with
them finding another lost city and destroying it
, gonna be boring/predictable.

Yeah I think it would be really cool. It could really add that tension and take things a bit darker without breaking anything. We could see Nat pushed to the end of his endurance with potential epic showdown with his nemesis a la Sherlock Holmes v Moriarty at Reichenbach Falls.

Maybe the villain doesn't really want him dead; that's too simple. They ensnare him in a grand manipulation for vengeance, to ruin him completely before the killing blow. Those stories always go down well.

For sure another treasure hunt ending in a lost city that has developed some kind of supernatural infestation is not going to do the job.

J-Rzez

Complains about not knowing what's going on in a game...
...skipped all cut scenes.

That's a new gaming meme right there.

Vitten

Excited to see what sort of magic Naughty Dog can bring with the PS4 power !

But I do feel they need to mix up the Uncharted formula a bit cos after UC3 it started to feel very stale. More stealth options and less linearity would help.

But isn't it implied in Uncharted 3 that
there is no connection between Nathan and Francis Drake, and that Drake made the whole thing up as a kid
?

Yeah, that's why I think the voice in the trailer is a character from Drake's past who knows the truth and is coming for him for revenge. Maybe he'll kill Elena? Although that might be a bit dark for the series. But it would certainly change up the formula and take the Drake/Elena stalemate out of the picture.

Tourmeta

Why is it seemingly so common to find a few people who feel like "dictating" what Naugthy Dog should and should not do? I might just not have paid enough attention to other devs or events in the past, but I've never noticed such an attitude towards other devs before, not to this degree?

In any case I'm looking forward to see gameplay videos when we get around to that. Uncharted on PS4 must be stunning and I have a feeling there'll be a bit more to it than the standard climb and shoot gameplay.

conman

I don't necessarily believe they're the direct outcome of their respective directing/creative leads, no.

I pretty firmly believe that many of the issues in UC3 (strange/unclear level design decisions, and some unbalanced combat encounters) were due to the release date of the game being announced quite early on, and the game not receiving the feedback necessary from focus testers to identify and fix those issues in time.

I'm not sure what you mean by you saying you had issues with the "high-level" design, because I don't think it was particularly different from Uncharted 1 and 2's. Mechanically, Uncharted 3 was the same. The only thing was the aiming style which they fixed anyway.
My issues had little to do with the aiming, which I'd call a "micro-level" issue. It was a minor annoyance, but forgivable. My real issues with the game had much more to do with the big picture. Levels had no logical relationship to one another, either in terms of story or design. And some ideas were too half-assed to deserve making the final cut (e.g. boy-Drake rooftops). The individual pieces were fine and resembled the prior UC games, but the way they all fit together was a total mess. That's what I mean by "high-level design issues." And that fault lies squarely with the lead designers and game director.

You're also saying that you don't believe that Justin can learn from all the feedback he and others at ND would've read about UC3 since it came out. (We know they read GAF, after all - I would bet money on him and other ND team members reading this thread right now.) I think that's unfair and cynical of you, and certainly won't be the case.
I'm fine with being called cynical, but when it comes to creative works, you're only as good as what you produce. And what he produced in UC3 wasn't up to snuff. I'd much rather see someone else get a crack at it.

Space IP = do want

Uncharted = do not want

What the hell are you talking about?

My head hurts...

Now it hurts even more.
SniperHunter, stop posting here.

Not trying to hurt you head. I LOVE the Uncharted series it's just that 3 left kind of a bad taste in my mouth. I all for more Uncharted, as long as it's more like 2 or even TLoU and less like 3.

Space IP = do want

Uncharted = do not want

The fuck is this shit?

Look, I really loved all the Uncharted games. But Naughty Dog is a very talented and creative developer, and I really appreciated how they made new franchises for each new piece of hardware in the past. I am VERY disappointed that they decided to play it safe and go with yet another Uncharted game. I'm sure it will be a good game, don't get me wrong, but it's still a bit of a boring choice.

conman

Look, I really loved all the Uncharted games. But Naughty Dog is a very talented and creative developer, and I really appreciated how they made new franchises for each new piece of hardware in the past. I am VERY disappointed that they decided to play it safe and go with yet another Uncharted game. I'm sure it will be a good game, don't get me wrong, but it's still a bit of a boring choice.
The cynical answer: making a safe bet with one team ensures that the studio is successful enough to support new, interesting projects from their other team.

le.phat

Space IP = do want

Uncharted = do not want

Do you eat shit ?
Because you are filled to the brim with it

Valnen

Why would you play uncharted and skip the cutscenes?

There was a thread awhile back where a bunch of people admitted that they skip all cutscenes in video games, even on their first playthrough. Why you would ruin games like this for yourself, I have no idea. But some people do it anyways. It's dumb if you ask me.

So excited.
This will be nothing like the Uncharted people are used to.

i hope so

uncharted already felt labored by its third entry, that's a problem. i would like to think after tlou naughty dog would see to it that more nuance is required in a shooting game.

would be neat if they placed more emphasis on platforming/exploration/puzzles and cooled off on the shootiness. plus i'd love the irony of uncharted being the true successor to ps1 tomb raider while tomb raider is basically ultraviolent uncharted.

Dibbz

Space IP = do want

Uncharted = do not want

What other news can you find stashed up there in your ass?

Geoff: "What can you tell us about the new Uncharted?"

Christophe: "We're going to pushing performance capture, animations, and graphics."

I don't know what I expected.
Yeah... This bugged me too. How about new gameplay mechanics, narrative presentation, or using the PSEye?

I want more Uncharted by the way.

Dysun

Not surprised to see so many lamenting the UC3 director at the helm, but I'm still excited for more Uncharted. Hopefully the VGX will reveal a bit more

Why is it seemingly so common to find a few people who feel like "dictating" what Naugthy Dog should and should not do? I might just not have paid enough attention to other devs or events in the past, but I've never noticed such an attitude towards other devs before, not to this degree?

I suspect it's because Naughty Dog is probably the best development house in the world at the moment. When an artist is successful (establishing visceral, emotional connections between the fiction and his audience), it's natural for the audience to extend those emotional ties to the artist himself--in this case artists. If I worked at Naughty Dog, I'd take it as proof of my quality/talent/success that gamers cared deeply about how I spent my time.

That said, I agree that fan "ownership" over a development studio or a writer or a band can skew perspective fast.

Top Bottom