• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
They definitely gave up on LF and decided to just off him, shame they didn't come up with a better way to do it.

Makes me think there wont be much of a post-night king storyline in season 8 which is presumably what the whole 'chaos is a ladder' stuff was leading to originally.

JakeD

its really bothering me that they're going to push the "its bad that they've fallen in love" angle next season

isn't a conqueror falling in love and marrying the second most powerful person in the continent pretty much perfect politically? even with the shows simplified politics it makes no sense for tyrion to be upset.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I have a couple speculations that I think either are telegraphed or might be interesting.

1. The Night King isn't just going to go into a straight battle with the north. He has a dragon and is going to attack King's Landing first with it. This will happen after the golden company has arrived and basically end the Lannister's. Cersei will be turned into a white walker (The Night Queen?) and this new portion of the dead army will march north to pin and surround Jon and Dany's armies. (This is the last big Shock in the show)

2. Dany will not fight in the final battle due to being too pregnant. If they can screw with the time some she might be giving birth during the final battle (as a tropy juxtaposition). Jon will ride one of the dragons (having learned of his heritage) into battle.

3. Jon will use his dragon to fight and distract the night king as the second dragon lays waste to the undead army. This will work great until one of the giants kills the second dragon (somehow).

4. Bronn will use a scorpion with a dragon glass bolt to attempt to take down the night kings dragon. He will miss and hit Jon's dragon. It will not kill it but will bring it down and force Jon off of it.

5. The Night King will land in front of Jon atop Viserion. Jon will turn to face him only to see the frost dragon about to breath fire on him. There will be a dramatic slow scene where you see Jon's despair, possibly Dany is watching from far away, sad music plays, blah, blah, blah. Viserion roasts Jon with his frost laser beam thing. Everyone thinks its the end...but wait, could it be?!?! Jon, the song of ice and fire, literally walks out of frost fire, armor partially burnt away and beheads Viserion. The Night King, still emotionless, dismounts and fights Jon. Jon wins because he is a badass.

6. The hound will kill the mountain by using a fire blade, Jaime will kill Night Queen Cersei, Arya will find some way to die or be completely useless, Bron will die saving someone, Brienne will fuck the wildling guy before he or both die in the final battle, bran is going to watch things, Sansa is going to continue to do nothing, and Theon is going to kill Euron after he finds out his sister is dead. Note: Not all of these happen in the final battle.

fanboi

Banned
Bullshit or shitbull?

nAujkY2_d.jpg

lol

Garbage-ass plotline. Definitely the worst the show has ever had. Blows my mind every time I see someone defending this crap.

yeah it was horrendous, but wait til you see the forbidden romance plot (and potential jealousy stuff) that we have to deal with between Jon/Daenerys/Tyrion next season.

these writers are garbage. I'm amazed that Benioff wrote 25th Hour before he went on to make Troy and Game of Thrones.

They definitely gave up on LF and decided to just off him, shame they didn't come up with a better way to do it.

Makes me think there wont be much of a post-night king storyline in season 8 which is presumably what the whole 'chaos is a ladder' stuff was leading to originally.

I never took it that way. Littlefinger caused the chaos and the ladder to power is real because he profited from it.

He outlines it when he tells Ros "I'm going to fuck them" and this is something he decided 20 years before when he realized that because he didn't have a famous house that he could never ascend to power unless he caused the chaos to bring them down.

its really bothering me that they're going to push the "its bad that they've fallen in love" angle next season

isn't a conqueror falling in love and marrying the second most powerful person in the continent pretty much perfect politically? even with the shows simplified politics it makes no sense for tyrion to be upset.

Here's my theory:

Cersei was perfectly fine with the truce but did not want Jon or the North involved.

Tyrion must have convinced Cersei that he will figure out a way to get Jon out of this fight.

When he saw them having sex it meant that was not going to happen. He can't fulfil his promise to Cersei and his sister and Jamie will die because the North United, Dothraki and Unsullied and 2 dragons will destroy Cersei.

He's been showing and hinting that he doesn't want his family destroyed.

He knows now he can't stop it.

Man book readers are so salty.

It's gonna be even better when all of s7s major plot points that they call stupid contrived fanfic ends up in the books too.

lol I love when people say this. If anyone honestly thinks the Winds of Winter or a Dream of Spring are going to look anything like Seasons 6 or 7, I doubt they've ever even read the books.

It's gonna be even better when all of s7s major plot points that they call stupid contrived fanfic ends up in the books too.
Yeah it's gonna make a lot of sense that Victarion is gonna disappear.. wait

Jon x Dany will most likely be a thing if the books are ever finished of course.

Here's my theory:

Cersei was perfectly fine with the truce but did not want Jon or the North involved.

Tyrion must have convinced Cersei that he will figure out a way to get Jon out of this fight.

When he saw them having sex it meant that was not going to happen. He can't fulfil his promise to Cersei and his sister and Jamie will die because the North United, Dothraki and Unsullied and 2 dragons will destroy Cersei.

He's been showing and hinting that he doesn't want his family destroyed.

He knows now he can't stop it.

Good thoughts. Will be interesting to see how he reacts when Jamie shows up at winterfell by himself.

Good thoughts. Will be interesting to see how he reacts when Jamie shows up at winterfell by himself.
Sure would make sense if Tyrion and co. Didn't plan to move out without contacting a Lannister general or Jaime and just assumed Cersei would do the right thing because she's always shown herself to be trusting to her enemies

Wait a second!

Bullshit or shitbull?

nAujkY2_d.jpg
I'd like to know the thought process behind this. Let's make a picture, that look likes a photo from my phone, then put them next to eachother and photoshop a circle. Why wouldn't you just grab the two stills without the phone stuff surrounding it. Does this make it look more real to some?

Either way, fake.

Aiii

So not worth it
I'd like to know the thought process behind this. Let's make a picture, that look likes a photo from my phone, then put them next to eachother and photoshop a circle. Why wouldn't you just grab the two stills without the phone stuff surrounding it. Does this make it look more real to some?

Either way, fake.

Red circles make for amazing clickbait.

YOU WON'T BELIEVE THIS GAME OF THRONES EASTER EGG YOU TOTALLY MISSED!!!

Did anyone else find the whole Wight unboxing by The Hound unintentionally funny? There was just something about him trudging out with this massive fucking crate on his back and awkwardly kneeling down to get it off, the way he has to switch sides to get the metal bars out and his skittish little peak over the top before kicking it over.

And what happened to the donkey & cart? He left it at the top of the path leading into the pit with the Lannister soldier, but when he leaves the pit to fetch it he goes down the stairs in the middle and comes back up carrying the crate. Why make so much effort for himself when he could have just pulled it in on the cart the way everyone else came? Not dramatic enough?

I'll just pretend in my head that what Bran's actor said didn't happen. Sansa and Arya were playing Littlefinger the whole time. Any other explanation just ruins both of their characters.

jett

D-Member
A motley crew made up of Robb, Jon, Ser Barristan, the Hound, Oberyn Martell, Jaqen H'ghar, Khal Drogo, Bronn, and Thoros of Myr stage a daring rescue of Ned Stark from the dungeon of the Red Keep. The mission is a total success, except a bunch of red shirts that you didn't even realize were part of the mission died and so did Thoros. Also Khal Drogo brought one of Daenerys's dragon eggs for good luck and accidentally dropped it, Joffrey found it and was able to hatch it.

lol, there's some good stuff there

Season 7 happening in the books is pretty much an impossibility.

lol I love when people say this. If anyone honestly thinks the Winds of Winter or a Dream of Spring are going to look anything like Seasons 6 or 7, I doubt they've ever even read the books.

?

I mean if anything, the last two seasons gave us proof that the major events of the show will be the same as the books; D&D stated Shireen's burning and "hold the door" were both events from the books. And of course, their previous statement that GRRM sat down and explained the endpoints for all the major characters and events. The show is building to the same ending as the books, maybe just a bit more barebones and with less nuance.

I highly doubt that Littlefinger will die much differently in the books, Sansa for sure will pass the sentence there too. Will there be a dumb contrived sister-drama plot in the books? Highly unlikely. But it's safe to assume every major character, including Viserion, will die the same way in the books. If you believe otherwise you are probably in denial.

?

I mean if anything, the last two seasons gave us proof that the major events of the show will be the same as the books; D&D stated Shireen's burning and "hold the door" were both events from the books. And of course, their previous statement that GRRM sat down and explained the endpoints for all the major characters and events. The show is building to the same ending as the books, maybe just a bit more barebones and with less nuance.

I highly doubt that Littlefinger will die much differently in the books, Sansa for sure will pass the sentence there too. Will there be a dumb contrived sister-drama plot in the books? Highly unlikely. But it's safe to assume every major character, including Viserion, will die the same way in the books. If you believe otherwise you are probably in denial.

Yep. I mean we saw how Barristan's death was exactly the same. And we can't forget Loras Tyrell.

?

Not going to happen. Plenty of characters who are dead in the show remain alive in the books under completely different circumstances. Littlefinger isn't going to get his throat cut after a fake trial. And I seriously doubt a dragon will die like that in the books. If anything, Euron will steal one and Dany will lose a dragon against him.

A couple of the more prominent TV podcasts take a crack at the GoT finale and S7 as a whole:

- The Watch: Dissecting the 'Game of Thrones' Season Finale With Jason Concepcion and Mallory Rubin
The Ringer’s Chris Ryan and Andy Greenwald provide their instant takes on the finale and overall season of 'Game of Thrones' (0:30). Later 'Binge Mode' cohosts Jason Concepcion and Mallory Rubin join Chris to further dissect and examine what worked and what did not in 'Game of Thrones' Season 7 (18:30) and what we can expect from the forthcoming 'Game of Thrones' spinoffs (45:00).
- TV Avalanche Podcast, Episode 30: ‘Game Of Thrones’ Finale And Under The Radar Shows (With Maureen Ryan) (1:04:05 mark)
Alan is still on vacation, so I (Brian Grubb) am very pleased to be joined this week by Maureen Ryan, the Chief TV Critic at Variety, for an in-depth discussion about, well, a lot of things. The biggie this episode, obviously, is the season seven finale of Game of Thrones, which we spend the majority of the episode digging into. But first, we highlight some shows that are a little under-the-radar, and answer some reader mail.
- EW's Game of Thrones Weekly
We break down the season 7 finale: Jon and Dany chart a course toward incest, Sansa and Arya team up on Littlefinger, Theon breaks our hearts, and James reveals what it was like on the set of that Dragonpit summit.
- Clash of Kings on Slashfilm
Joanna and David discuss the Game of Thrones Season 7 finale, "The Dragon and the Wolf." A quasi-weekly discussion of the plots, themes and highlights of the HBO series "Game of Thrones." Your hosts Dave Chen (The /Filmcast and The Tobolowsky Files) and Joanna Robinson (contributor for VanityFair.com) will dish up both praise and criticism.

Faddy

Banned
I guess the Bran scene would have worked much better as a link to Sansa finally learning to trust her family and that they should be her strongest allies. But it doesn't really do anything, plus it would be super annoying if Bran and Sansa had a meaningful conversation and we didn't see it.

Yep. I mean we saw how Barristan's death was exactly the same. And we can't forget Loras Tyrell.

Obviously it doesn't apply to minor characters. No one should have expected the Tyrells to be treated well on the show the moment they cut out most of their family.

And there will be an undead dragon in the books, that much is also obvious, as the order of the dragons' deaths has been heavily hinted at in the books. Will he die to some clutch spear throw? No, but does it matter?

I know we give them shit for making the costumes all black and it makes sense sorta because winter so the colors are muted and some characters like cersei were in mourning but holy shit when I googled S7 GOT costumes it was actually laughable how apparent it is

no idea what hodor is doing there tho

Hydrus

They do this stuff after every season. It always ends up being the opposite. They're just fucking with you to get you to tune in.

KahooTs

Obviously it doesn't apply to minor characters. No one should have expected the Tyrells to be treated well on the show the moment they cut out most of their family.

And there will be an undead dragon in the books, that much is also obvious, as the order of the dragons' deaths has been heavily hinted at in the books. Will he die to some clutch spear throw? No, but does it matter?

Tyrion will ride Viserion, and he's not dying on the other side of the wall.

So the dragon will die being ridden, in a different place, in a different way, but yeah totally the same thing.

jett

D-Member
?

So we've gone from "GURM gave D&D the ending" to "GURM gave D&D a rough outline" to "GURM gave D&D the fates of every single character and plotline."

The only deluded people are the show-only watchers. Which I can only assume you are.

fAegon alone throws a huge wrench into the notion that books will be just like the show.
Or Tommen being a nine year-old.
Or Victarion being a thing.
Or literally everything regarding Dorne.
Or the idea that GURM would actually write about the seven Westerosi Avengers assembling.

I wonder how much longer are we gonna have to read this shit. Why can't some accept this is the D&D show through and through?

mantidor

Isaac Hempstead, aka Bran, gave an interview where he talks about a deleted scene where he helps Sansa realize LittleFinger is bad.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2017/08/29/we-talked-to-isaac-hempstead-wright-and-understand-brans-three-eyed-raven-powers-a-lot-better-now/?utm_term=.1a48f69e9a3e

Here’s some quotes:

So to those who were under the impression that Arya and Sansa may have been pretending to fight this season, that wasn’t the case. Anyway, with or without this scene, I still think this is one of the worst story lines ever in the show. Sansa never became the great “game-player”. She’s never had a victory that’s been all her own. I honestly don’t think she’s gotten all that much smarter since season one.

Haha, I thought the same thing when I read that bit

Jesus. I don't get how they still have apologists.

I was reading elsewhere a very good point, Sansa's plotline with the Boltons amounted to nothing, it was just there for pure shock value, and it robbed us of her training in the Vale that would make her political abilities as Lady of Winterfell make some sense.

KahooTs

You can tell a mile off what is pure GRRM and what isn't, the door for example. Its the grey in between that they've partly taken and twisted that is up in the air.

Timbuktu

What's to stop GRRM deliberately steering away from where the show went now that its' aired and throw that outline he gave them into the bin when it comes to the books? It's not like the story turned out exactly like the pitch letter he gave to the publishers.

Rixxan

I wonder how much longer are we gonna have to read this shit. Why can't some accept this is the D&D show through and through?

Probably as long as you engage with a discussion thread where the source material isn't complete yet - their speculation is worth no less than yours when you have literally no factual basis to counter

You sound petulant

Didn't GRRM tell Taylor something along the lines of "This was always about Dany and Jon getting together"?

Yet you still have people in this thread swearing it's the ultimate fan service

Point is these conversations are pointless because they are based entirely on speculation, regardless of how well you think you know how or what GRRM writes

GAMEPROFF

Banned
What's to stop GRRM deliberately steering away from where the show went now that its' aired and throw that outline he gave them into the bin when it comes to the books? It's not like the story turned out exactly like the pitch letter he gave to the publishers.
Thats exactly what I expect to happen

Top Bottom