• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 4 Thread

Blizzard

Banned
I'm also having some trouble with VSync there: https://answers.unrealengine.com/qu...ble-vsync-via-config-file-in-packaged-ga.html
If I enable it via "r.vsync 1" in the console, it works though, and the tearing goes away. If I don't do that, even forcing vsync in my drivers doesn't work somehow.

But tearing even with fixed 60FPS is weird. :( Do you maybe have another PC to test this on?
Your description sounds like .ini file override issues, and I don't know much about which file gets searched first.

Tearing with 60FPS in my case was because apparently, you can't do vsync with borderless windowed fullscreen. Only the "true" fullscreen mode uses actual vsync and allows things like Nvidia Inspector to force it.

Blizzard

Banned
Most people will have automatic vsync in windowed mode because of desktop composition.
That's what I PM'd you wondering about, since some random person on the internet claimed that fullscreen borderless windows are automatically triple-buffered and vsync'd.

It makes sense that with Windows Aero compositing, that would be true...but I disable Aero on my system for lower latency, especially with VR. Thus I only escaped tearing with true fullscreen.

Durante

Yeah, that's pretty much the case. Desktop composition enables (real) triple buffering and v-sync. (Or "forces" rather than "enables" I guess - you can't have a non-v-sync'd window with desktop composition)

Hamster

Quick question, i used to make android games via Unity, my biggest gripe was that the unity engine & mono library themselves raised the filesize to 7+MB, if i compile an android project using the unreal engine, would the minimum filesize be smaller?

Quick question, i used to make android games via Unity, my biggest gripe was that the unity engine & mono library themselves raised the filesize to 7+MB, if i compile an android project using the unreal engine, would the minimum filesize be smaller?

I'll try and compile something a basic project see what I get out of it. Not very confident though.

phoenixyz

Well I FINALLY have sort of an answer thanks to someone in the #unrealengine IRC channel. There is an r.FullScreenMode console variable in UE4 that you can set to 0 for "true" fullscreen. Otherwise it defaults to borderless windowed fullscreen.

The problem is, so I am told, it is impossible to vsync a window, even a borderless fullscreen window. Because of this, I got screen tearing even with "r.VSync 1".

My best guess is that windowed mode uses some sort of fake vsync that still has tearing, then, if Aero is disabled.

Framerate cap != vsync.
And yes, in windowed mode the Windows UI compositor is responsible for VSync, which is disabled if you disable Aero.

edit: Has already been answered, didn't see there was another page.

Sini

Engine itself takes about 50 megs iirc. It's definitely bigger than Unity.

Blizzard

Banned
Framerate cap != vsync.
And yes, in windowed mode the Windows UI compositor is responsible for VSync, which is disabled if you disable Aero.

edit: Has already been answered, didn't see there was another page.
Using "r.VSync 1" does not seem to actually set vsync in UE4 though, if you're in borderless window fullscreen, which was confusing me. There is a DIFFERENT actual UE4 framerate cap, one of the framerate smoothing options, which by default limits the framerate to 62 fps.

Setting r.VSync even in a non-Aero windowed environment brings you down to 60, but does not actually synchronize like one might expect.

anteevy

Your description sounds like .ini file override issues, and I don't know much about which file gets searched first.

Tearing with 60FPS in my case was because apparently, you can't do vsync with borderless windowed fullscreen. Only the "true" fullscreen mode uses actual vsync and allows things like Nvidia Inspector to force it.
Hah I missed your post that your problem was already solved. I was about to suggest trying FullscreenMode=0, but after you wrote "tried standalone windowed, and tried standalone fullscreen" I thought you meant windowed and true fullscreen and that it didn't work. :D

As for my problem, [ProjectDirectory]/Saved/Config/[Platform]/GameUserSettings.ini should override all other files (https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Programming/Basics/ConfigurationFiles/index.html). VSync is the only setting for me where this is not true... and "LastSetBy:Code" seems to suggest that it isn't reading this setting from any config file.

Just tried out UT4. Beyond what I think is the overly strong defaault UE4 bloom, it is really fantastic looking.

Likewise, I can force SLI and get an extremely consistent 120fps with my 570 TriSLI. Only problems is that some odd textures occassionally flicker (I have no idea why these textures do though).

Also... Temporall AA already works in multi-GPU configs with no ghosting or brokeness. At least with the specific SLI bits I am using (from Ryse / daylight).

Xdrive05

Just tried out UT4. Beyond what I think is the overly strong defaault UE4 bloom, it is really fantastic looking.

Likewise, I can force SLI and get an extremely consistent 120fps with my 570 TriSLI. Only problems is that some odd textures occassionally flicker (I have no idea why these textures do though).

Also... Temporall AA already works in multi-GPU configs with no ghosting or brokeness. At least with the specific SLI bits I am using (from Ryse / daylight).

I feel like it runs really well for how good it looks. At max in-game settings, I had to crank the resolution up to 2715x1527 (DSR 2x 1080p) just to get it to fall under 120fps. And even then it would hover around 100fps mostly, with just a few odd drops into the 80s or so. This is with a single GTX 980 running at 1500.

Makes you wonder what UE4 could draw the same scenes at 1080p/60 with the Voxel Global Illumination! Hopefully someone smarter than me figures out how to force that in this UT map so we can test the actual performance.

Sini

Makes you wonder what UE4 could draw the same scenes at 1080p/60 with the Voxel Global Illumination! Hopefully someone smarter than me figures out how to force that in this UT map so we can test the actual performance.
Epic has not made their Voxel GI code public.
We'll get DFGI (which is their new custom approach to GI) sometime soon though.

I feel like it runs really well for how good it looks. At max in-game settings, I had to crank the resolution up to 2715x1527 (DSR 2x 1080p) just to get it to fall under 120fps. And even then it would hover around 100fps mostly, with just a few odd drops into the 80s or so. This is with a single GTX 980 running at 1500.

Do you have any idea how to turn on the perobject motionblur in UT4? The default "epic settings" seem to leave it off.

How to take screenshots for newcomers: http://www.unrealtournament.com/blog/new-screenshots-and-learn-to-make-your-own/

Outpost23_02.png

RCSI

I'll certainty be trying that RISE demo on my OR when it releases. If only I had access to third generation developer VR devices though, as the DK2 will mask the detail in that demo.

Blizzard

Banned
They removed the UE4 plugin download section! Weird !
The page seems to have changed in the last day or two. Google cache still shows the old page that said it was in beta, and someone told me that had an issue with certain Substance materials working in UE4, so I don't know the exact situation.

I want to mess around with some more user created demo's / examples. Would someone who knows of some good ones please be kind enough to tell me how to find them. I already have the handful that I saw on the front page of the marketplace that were free but is there some more?

Has anyone tried to fiddle around with Temporal AA's settings? There is a command to control its sharpness and the number of samples. Just type "r.TemporalAA" and two options will come up (sharpness and number of samples).

Durante

Has anyone tried to fiddle around with Temporal AA's settings? There is a command to control its sharpness and the number of samples. Just type "r.TemporalAA" and two options will come up (sharpness and number of samples).
Yeah, I've played around with it. It's perfectly configured by default IMHO for monitor viewing, but not for VR.

-SD-

Banned
For those who've been wondering why the Infiltrator demo has not been released on Marketplace. I'd guess the same applies to Samaritan demo.

https://answers.unrealengine.com/qu...ine-4-infiltrator-real-time-demo-downloa.html

Alexander Paschall said:
As everyone has probably figured out, Infiltrator is a massive project that was not optimized for public release when we first made it. If we were to release it, it would be a massive undertaking. Even compared to Elemental. In fact it is much much larger than Elemental (Hint: none of those buildings and cities in the background are painted on).

That being said, we actually would like to one day optimize it and make it a part of some kind of big announcement. That day won't be soon, so don't hold your breath for it. Let me know if you have any questions.

Dizzy-4U

Oh wow, so in addition to the $30 they added to my virtual wallet a few weeks ago, I've got an email yesterday saying they sent me a refund for $19 to my credit card. Checked paypal and yep, it's there.

That's so nice of them. Respect.

Oh wow, so in addition to the $30 they added to my virtual wallet a few weeks ago, I've got an email yesterday saying they sent me a refund for $19 to my credit card. Checked paypal and yep, it's there.

That's so nice of them. Respect.

Heh, they only refunded $3.68 to my PayPal account :(.

Top Bottom