• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 4 Thread

_machine

If you want to run the demo in fullscreen and in a custom resolution (it's locked to 1080p windowed by default) make a shortcut of the .exe and add these parameters:

-bUseVSync=False -ResX=yourhorizontalres -ResY=yourverticalres -FullscreenMode=1 -Fullscreen
If you can access the console (development build or play-in-editor) you can also use the "r.setresolutionscale 200" to modify the downsampling resolution in realtime.

Monarch

Banned
It looks amazing in motion.

some shots

18151709954_ab43d2fb0d_o.jpg

Dat InsetShadow.

BTW, in case no one noticed it yet, the boy is Tim Sweeney young, he loved hiking and kites, Someone, please make a closeup pic of his backpack with words Tim and Epic and the funny sktech.

FerDS

Does anyone use cinema 4D with unreal? As far as I know everyone uses maya or 3dsmax; are there any advantages or is it just the standard?

Is there a complete list of commercially released UE4 games?

Daylight
Ether One
Kholat
Pneuma
Some crappy mobile shooter whose title I can't remember at the moment
Tekken 7 (arcade)

These are the only ones I can think of.

desu

Oh DB is made with UE4? Didn't even know that, always good to see more titles using the engine. Almost everyone attempting to make bigger games seems to use UE4 lately, wonderful how the engine has taken off.

Yeah, just looking at it you can tell it's not 4. But outside that, it doesn't even have the UE4 logo (I think every UE4 game had it so far). Scales poorly with multiple cores. The config files are in UnrealEngine3 folder etc

Also the closed alpha started years ago, UE4 wasn't even out then.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Just as a warning for anyone else using this:

Forget Blueprint Function Libraries and Blueprint Macro Libraries. They're buggy beta features that really shouldn't be available.

If you REALLY need statics\globals, write it down in c++.
The blueprint linker is a mess.

I got UE4 when it became free, and must say that I love their material editor! It is very intuitive, and deep.
Right now I think I am struggling the most with trying to figure out foliage.
I am having some weird Lod problems where the leaves on my tree only become visible when you get very very close up....I think it may have something to do with how I created the asset and/or the texture.

Isomac

I tested out a bit of 4.9 preview versions parallax occlusion map node. I am not really sure how to use it, since I couldn't find any documentation for it. Also the height map used for it was just quick conversion from normal map.

I tested out a bit of 4.9 preview versions parallax occlusion map node. I am not really sure how to use it, since I couldn't find any documentation for it. Also the height map used for it was just quick conversion from normal map.
woop, i have been waiting for POM, I wonder how expensive it is. Those results are impressive for a quick test, i bet this thing can look insane.

Saw this nice water shader example and thought I'd have some fun with it (this is my own apartment, to scale, it's a work-in-progress replica for VR calibration and fun experiments)

Checking it out in the rift is somewhere in between peaceful and disconcerting, I can't decide.

Blizzard

Banned
woop, i have been waiting for POM, I wonder how expensive it is. Those results are impressive for a quick test, i bet this thing can look insane.

Saw this nice water shader example and thought I'd have some fun with it (this is my own apartment, to scale, it's a work-in-progress replica for VR calibration and fun experiments)

Checking it out in the rift is somewhere in between peaceful and disconcerting, I can't decide.
I haven't seen it, but I imagine it could produce horrible memories of Waterworld. :p

Finally got POM. Awesome. Just about as progessed now as the UE 3 preview from 2004!

Blizzard

Banned
4.9 is out:
•Improved iOS, Android and HTML5 platform support
•Mobile dynamic character shadows, movable lights and decals
•Full scene particle collision
•Major VR upgrades, including Motion Controller support
•Flurry Analytics integration
•And more!

The full patch notes are MASSIVE. https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/unreal-engine-49-released

A lot of marketplace stuff is apparently going on sale this week as well, so if anyone is interested in that: https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/marketplace-flash-sale-week-aug-31

There is also a new website/interface to make things easier for people publishing content to be sold.

Durante

Ok, ambient occlusion material masking is really smart.
It's probably not the first time it's used, but the first time I heard of it. Really neat.

Edit: Distance field materials as well.

ElTopo

Banned
Okay, I'm officially going to try to learn this shit and maybe make something (hopefully good) . I'm mainly into this because of the potential of a CG movie but I should probably start with something a little simpler. I think my first game project is going to be a recreation of The Grid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXsD9BwexC0

I know, you shouldn't make your first thing a huge game, but The Grid is not particularly big if you watch the clip.

Really? Ark looks like shit (anything at medium distance is just fugly) and runs like shittttttttt. I thought it used cryengine.

That is an insult to cryengine maaaaaan (an outdoor cryengine game with ARK's asset quality would never runs oo poorly). I get the feeling UE4s real time shadow performance is rather lacking.

New "Showdown" UE4 VR demo:
https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/showdown-cinematic-vr-experience-released-for-free

Has anyone had a chance to try it out yet? (DK2 / Vive / Morpheus)
Check the Oculus thread, I think there are some impressions.

Area shadows for stationary lights in 4.9 is a dramatic and much needed improvement. Looks like they made some behind the scenes fixes to stationary lights too since they seems to render with more accuracy, unless there was some weird anomaly in my 4.8 scene causing issues.

Left: 4.8.3 with no light angle

Right: 4.9.0 with light angle set to 1 (every object is static except the floating balls)

Note the weird inaccuracies cast from the windows on to the window sill are also fixed. All I did was open the scene in 4.9 and re render.

Krejlooc

Banned
Part of the rules for this competition I'm doing requires us to work entirely in blueprint mode. Which isn't too bad, I figure I can adapt.

I'm simulating a crowd. So I spawn a bunch of actors in the level blueprint, then spawn a bunch of target points in the level blueprint and randomize the locations of all the actors and target points, and set each actor to run to a random target point. This creates an illusion of entropy. What needs to happen is that, when they reach their target point, they will turn around and run to another random target point.

So, in c++, this would be simple as shit, and I could do this in a variety of ways. But I can't figure out how to do it in blueprint. My level blueprint has an array that holds all the actors and target points. From within the actor blueprints, I can't access the target point array to discern their location because they are out of scope. In C++, I could just pass a reference of these objects to each spawned object, but that doesn't seem possible here.

Any ideas?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Part of the rules for this competition I'm doing requires us to work entirely in blueprint mode. Which isn't too bad, I figure I can adapt.

I'm simulating a crowd. So I spawn a bunch of actors in the level blueprint, then spawn a bunch of target points in the level blueprint and randomize the locations of all the actors and target points, and set each actor to run to a random target point. This creates an illusion of entropy. What needs to happen is that, when they reach their target point, they will turn around and run to another random target point.

So, in c++, this would be simple as shit, and I could do this in a variety of ways. But I can't figure out how to do it in blueprint. My level blueprint has an array that holds all the actors and target points. From within the actor blueprints, I can't access the target point array to discern their location because they are out of scope. In C++, I could just pass a reference of these objects to each spawned object, but that doesn't seem possible here.

Any ideas?

Look at both parts of this tutorial.

Obviously only part of it is relevant, but it will allow you to create a simple ai character that will walk from one random place, then to another.

All you have to do then is spawn a ton of them. After you define a nav mesh for your level, you don't even need to define target points. I think it's a simpler solution?

Krejlooc

Banned
Look at both parts of this tutorial.

Obviously only part of it is relevant, but it will allow you to create a simple ai character that will walk from one random place, then to another.

All you have to do then is spawn a ton of them. After you define a nav mesh for your level, you don't even need to define target points. I think it's a simpler solution?

Did you forget to post the tutorial?

I'm spawning the target points randomly right now to just create some junk data, but they're not going to be randomly placed down the line. These characters need to run to specific locations, but which specific locations they run to is random. And the locations need to be spawned, not placed by hand, because where they need to be located isn't known until execution.

Whats frustrating is that, going through tutorials, there are a lot of half solutions but nothing that does everything I need. Like I can use event dispatchers to make my actor blueprints call a function in my level blueprint, but I can't pass a value from actor to level which I need to (funnily enough, I can only go the other way - pass a value from level to actor). I can try calling my spawning function inside an actor itself, which could then be referenced to other actors, but I can't seem to reference a persistent nav mesh actor in anything else but the level blue print.

I wish I could just pass a reference of my vector to an actor, that seems like something that would be useful for many reasons.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H_1skacmXA&index=9&list=PLkzrp1zyOGvzow95VYbpsQMuhOGoDxsFi

Whoops.

You can set target locations for the ai to walk to -I'm also sure you could set a number of possible locations and have them spawn at execution, although setting the targets for each spawn ai... yeah you could have it random select one of the spawn locations. The tutorial doesn't cover everything you need.

It's a not a full solution but it should get you some progress.

Yeah, man I feel your pain. I just trying to learn all this stuff in my little amount of free time.

Krejlooc

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H_1skacmXA&index=9&list=PLkzrp1zyOGvzow95VYbpsQMuhOGoDxsFi

Whoops.

You can set target locations for the ai to walk to -I'm also sure you could set a number of possible locations and have them spawn at execution, although setting the targets for each spawn ai... yeah you could have it random select one of the spawn locations. The tutorial doesn't cover everything you need.

It's a not a full solution but it should get you some progress.

thanks, I'll give it a watch. I only have... 14 hours left in the competition.

Durante

I had to install Unreal Engine on my new WIndows 10 setup first to check, so this took a bit longer. Anyway, can't you simply add a variable of whatever type you need to reference to your actor blueprint, and set it to "Reference" and "Expose on Spawn"? Basically just like you would in C++.

Krejlooc

Banned
I had to install Unreal Engine on my new WIndows 10 setup first to check, so this took a bit longer. Anyway, can't you simply add a variable of whatever type you need to reference to your actor blueprint, and set it to "Reference" and "Expose on Spawn"? Basically just like you would in C++.

I eventually went and just copied everything by value for each element of the vector which was really slow and not at all how I wanted to do it.

Mind showing your blueprint? I had tried doing just that, but my reference in the actor always reported null, no matter what I did. Couple that with a bunch of people on the ue4 forum telling me that what I wanted to do wasnt possible, and I wound up.having a frustrating morning lol.

I figured there had to be some way to do it, considering I can do it in c++ code easy enough, but had no idda how to do it in blueprint. So seeing your blue print example would be a huge help.

Top Bottom