• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn new previews and gameplay

No need to get upset its just my opinion. If you don't like it....well, too bad. IMO it looks like it will be worth more as a 20 dollar purchase.

i think it will be a good game but not worth 60 dollars imo.

im not gonna jump on you like the rest of the guys
(even though you deserve it)
, but why do you feel like it's not worth that amount?

do you feel that games of this genre arent justified to have that kind of pricepoint?

Elitist1945

No need to get upset its just my opinion. If you don't like it....well, too bad. IMO it looks like it will be worth more as a 20 dollar purchase.

giphy.gif

im not gonna jump on you like the rest of the guys
(even though you deserve it)
, but why do you feel like it's not worth that amount?

do you feel that games of this genre arent justified to have that kind of pricepoint?

Pretty much man. I just think this is a better rental than full price. The replay value might not justify a 60 dollar purchase for me. That's it. Why do i deserve to get jumped because i expressed my opinion?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

If we don't like it, I think we have the right to at least ask why, specially in a discussion board.

Don't worry , you have offended a videogame by not attributing the proper value to it so obviously the loyal long time fans of the series are going to put you in your rightful place.
I mean you probably didn't even play the previous games.

Pretty much man. I just think this is a better rental than full price. The replay value might not justify a 60 dollar purchase for me. That's it. Why do i deserve to get jumped because i expressed my opinion?

well you gotta give an example of why its not worth that much

example: "i don't think Until Dawn is worth that asking price since i don't believe the campaign will be very long and there won't be any reason for me to replay it again"

but it also wouldnt hurt to do some research on it as well

did you know this game has branching paths, meaning that every single playthrough will be different in some way and that there will be multiple endings based on the decisions you make.

Everyone has a million and one reasons to justify why games are not worth $60. Gotta explain it cause otherwise it just makes people think it's a troll.

well you gotta give an example of why its not worth that much

example: "i don't think Until Dawn is worth that asking price since i don't believe the campaign will be very long and there won't be any reason for me to replay it again"

but it also wouldnt hurt to do some research on it as well

did you know this game has branching paths, meaning that every single playthrough will be different in some way and that there will be multiple endings based on the decisions you make.

Yeah that right there. By second or third playthough i am sure you have seen everything after that it won't be drastically different. These "branching story" games almost always play out with little difference each play through. Unless they can make a branching path like witcher 2 where an entire act plays out different (multiple times) but I doubt it will be much different. But maybe it is as drastic and i will be proven wrong If so i am proud of the team working on this game.

Yeah that right there. By second or third playthough i am sure you have seen everything after that it won't drastically different. These "branching story" games almost always play out with little difference each play through. Unless they can make a branching path like witcher 2 where an entire act plays out different (multiple times) I doubt it will be much different. But maybe it is as drastic and i will be proven wrong If so i am proud of the team working on this game.

well said

but by all means, lets wait and see what gaffer impressions are after it releases. dont wholly trust the big name review websites as they are really not very trustworthy.

id like to get it on release but with mgs5 coming a week later there wont be a chance ill have time for UD. perhaps by the holidays if theres a good deal on it ill bite

well said

but by all means, lets wait and see what gaffer impressions are after it releases. dont wholly trust the big name review websites as they are really not very trustworthy.

id like to get it on release but with mgs5 coming a week later there wont be a chance ill have time for UD. perhaps by the holidays if theres a good deal on it ill bite

same man. look i am not knocking on the game. I already said in my op that this looks like it will be a good game. I just don't feel like it's worth 60 bucks. Besides with MGSV and Mad max (could be great) coming out the following week from until dawn. I dont see myself spending 60 dollars on this game.Especially on very busy gaming season that's coming up. This game will be beaten once then collect dust until next year when game release comes back to normal pace. Did you guys see how packed october is?

Shinjiru

I was already interested in this game, but those recent videos have sold me on it.

I'm going get my PSN pre-order in for the bonus chapter.

Hadn't yet watched some of the videos in the op. Didn't realize it had that kind of Shattered Memories stuff going on. This is the type of game that is just on the edge of my radar but I might wind up getting it day one if the mood strikes me.

PrimeTime

I just watched the Polygon video and it basically sold me on this game. It looks really good and deep enough for multiple playthroughs. Can't wait!

Alo0oy

Banned
Yeah that right there. By second or third playthough i am sure you have seen everything after that it won't be drastically different. These "branching story" games almost always play out with little difference each play through. Unless they can make a branching path like witcher 2 where an entire act plays out different (multiple times) but I doubt it will be much different. But maybe it is as drastic and i will be proven wrong If so i am proud of the team working on this game.

So "I'll wait until it releases" is a more proper answer, you said with conviction "it won't be worth the price", that statement is as bad as the people jumping on reviewers before even playing the game.

I can say "Fallout 4 won't be worth the price because it looks repetitive & bloated", but I'm in no position to make such a statement with conviction before the game even releases.

Elios83

Game looks pretty interesting, the Heavy Rain formula works really well when the player is under pressure and has to make quick decisions so it's perfect here. The Killzone engine is doing its job for the graphics. I'm not expecting a triple-A title but could be a really solid 8/10 game for horror games fans. 40$ is probably the ideal price for this to get the best possible sales.

I don't know, didn't they kinda already confirm that? Like you probably won't see sections of the house if you chose certain things. And supposedly, you can morph the personalities of the characters, so if you make one of the guys act like a total dick, you might not get an interaction with someone the second time around.

Not that I'm trying to sway you either way. But from what the developers have said, it'll be up to the player on how much they want to change or see.

But we'll see. I hope they do it right.

Looks interesting. Being a horror film buff I am definitely intrigued by the game. The most glaring thing to me though is how stiff the animation, especially the faces are. With the game being so story and dialog heavy it might end up being kinda distracting.

kyser73

Watched the first of the playthroughs and I'm impressed with this, framerate glitches and all. Sound design generally seems really well thought out, and it definitely looks like a good fun game to play with some friends too.

Too much backlog atm tho.

F4r0_Atak

After the embarrassing The Order shitstorm, I could imagine that any short, cinematic game will be met with more reviewer criticism now than back when Heavy Rain came out. Though the previews seem to be telling a different story, so who knows.

Although the main problem with The Order 1886 was first shown and "sold" as a 3rd person shooter adventure in the same lign as Uncharted 2, and that's a "direct" quote from Ready at Dawn CEO and Creative Director Ru Weerasuriya. If I remember correctly, in a bunch of interviews, he was often using/talking about Uncharted 2 as their main reference for The Order in terms of scale of adventure, depiction of characters, cinematic action and storytelling. Knowing that Uncharted 2 is still considered until this day one of the best at cinematic adventure games, due to its strong characters and great storytelling, which is still revered for by critics and gamers alike, that comparison didn't help.

A lot of people were already attached to the idea of what Uncharted 2 became for them and they certainly had humongous expectations for The Order 1886 because of that, especially from Ready At Dawn, who used to have a good track record for great games... until this day. Whether it was regarding the way the characters were supposed to be written, or how the story was constructed and was to climax, or how the level design would lead the players to gain that sense of immersion in the world of The Order 1886, Ready At Dawn failed to deliver the experience they wanted to bring in the end. Although considered to be a marvelous technical achievement in terms of real-time visuals, along side of Ryse Son of Rome, the game was marked/stained by its poor gameplay integration. If the message was clearer from the very beginning, that they wanted to do something in the lines of Telltale's Walking Dead series, I am pretty confident that critics and gamers in general would have been more keen or lenient on its simple level design and game mechanics, but the fact that both the story and the characters were badly written doomed the game way before its release.

Which marks the difference with Until Dawn.

Ever since we knew about it, when it was first revealed as a Paystation Move game, it was already set to be a classic-style adventure game, one in the same line as Telltale's Walking Dead or Heavy Rain. So from the very start, it was a game set to be cinematically story-driven, not some kind of horror game like Silent Hill or Resident Evil's original trilogy. Only time will tell if the story, and characters, are worth the ride, time and price we'll invest in it.

Same thing could be said for a lot of different cinematic games, the Uncharted series, Heavy Rain, Vanquish, Tomb Raider (the 2013 reboot and its upcoming sequel), most shooters with a strong campaign, etc. The value we give to games is only dependant of our personal tastes/preferences, not to a general consensus. So you may be right that these kind of games may feel better to you in those price range (20~30$), which I agree with you for some games, but it's the gamers, and critics alike, that will evaluate if you're right or if the content available justify the entry price.

antitrop

There were so many reasons why The Order was panned that have nothing to do with Until Dawn or even cinematic games that I don't know where to start.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
There were so many reasons why The Order was panned that have nothing to do with Until Dawn or even cinematic games that I don't know where to start.

Right? It's stupid for everyone to say 'it was maligned for being cinematic'. I mean, MGS is one of the most cinematic games out there (40 minutes of cutscenes in one go!) and it's one of the most highly regarded game series ever.

It's a disservice to Until Dawn for this comparison to keep getting made. Making the comparison is just indicative of not understanding what's going on and what went on.

They don't have much of a long list of games to begin with. Here's their games features on their website. I hope for the best with this studio with Until Dawn, I'm really excited for this game!

at first i kept mixing up that name with supergiant (bastion, transistor devs)

i wonder if they knew there was a dev with an almost similar name.

heres hoping ud is the start of many successful franchises for them

watdaeff4

Game looks very interesting. If I didn't have so much other things to play, I would likely buy it this month. Bad timing though and I think I will wait it out until some (likely) sales in Dec or Jan.

The catch is that if your choices matter, the story is good and you care about the characters, it actually kills the replay.

For example it is impossible to replay the walking dead and be nice to Kenny. Things play out differently... But it isn't something anybody would want to waste their time on.

So games like this should be judged on your first run through and that needs to provide enough value.

Right? It's stupid for everyone to say 'it was maligned for being cinematic'. I mean, MGS is one of the most cinematic games out there (40 minutes of cutscenes in one go!) and it's one of the most highly regarded game series ever.

Exactly. It didn't get slammed because it's simply a cinematic game, it was slammed because it was a bad game. There's a big difference.

Alo0oy

Banned

It's really weird that people keep bringing up The Order, do people expect GTAVI to get average reviews because of Watch_Dogs? That's how silly the comparison is. It also assumes reviewers are extremely small-minded & they would pan a game solely for its genre.

Graphically maybe they can be compared but The Order is nothing like Until Dawn at all.

The Order was marketed as a story driven shooter, but what we got was a story game with little actual shooting, which was a shame because the shooting parts worked fine, pretty much a Gears clone, if they had just made more shooting levels it probably wouldn't have been panned like it was because it felt like half the game was missing.

Until Dawn is more like Heavy Rain or Beyond and can hopefully raise the bar even higher than HR did for this genre, as Beyond felt like a step back from what HR achieved.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Exactly. It didn't get slammed because it's simply a cinematic game, it was slammed because it was a bad game. There's a big difference.

I often hear, from gamers and critics, that it was a "bad game". Not that it has ANYTHING to do with Until Dawn, but would you list some reasons why it was so bad?

I'll give my view and hopefully recieve a response - when I think of a "bad game", I imagine that it's....

- broken (The Order was not)
- visually unappealing (especially relative to the pre-release hype it may have recieved - The Order had no issue there)
- not fun/boring (personal taste and I understand that plenty of people didn't enjoy the game-play)
- doesn't deliver what was promised (again, personal preference, as The Order gave me the EXACT experience I was expecting)
- too short (this is probably my only gripe with it, but not simply because it was short, it's because I wanted more - which is always a good thing).

Your move.

jdw_b

Looking forward to this, watched the IGN reactions video earlier and it looked great. Wife is a horror nut and loves story driven games like Heavy Rain so this looks perfect for her too

Got a party with a few friends in a couple of weeks so might bust it out then too

wapplew

I know the game trying to be B movie, but I hope the story have enough suspense and make sense, not just randomly pick a killer at the end.

Top Bottom