• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn: New Trailer Lets You Take Control

spekkeh

Banned
I plan on playing this with my wife watching me, seems like it's the kind of experience people, even non gamers would enjoy.
I plan on playing this with my wife where we take turns with the controller every fifteen minutes. She's not a very good gamer so I should probably expect a number of the cast dying.

Rozart

Just finished my first playthrough. Took me 9-10 hours, found about 80% of the clues, not talking about number of survivors.

general/vague STORY SPOILERS:
The story is more ambitious then I thought going in, there's like 5 different kinds of horror movies in there, slasher-movie being just one of them. Some ideas worked better than others, I didn't enjoy all of the story but it came together in a pretty satisfying way at the end. Other then the gameplay, the story will be the most polarizing part of Until Dawn.
Overall, a very good experience if you enjoy these kinds of games and like horror.

edit: compared to similar games, I'd say: LiS (if the last episode is as good as the rest) > Until Dawn = Heavy Rain >>> Beyond. Until Dawn was a solid 8/10 for me, but review scores will probably be all over the place.

Yess, good to know! Heavy Rain was one of my favourite games of last gen but I did not enjoy Beyond Two Souls at all. Glad to hear that it's on par with Heavy Rain.

I can't think of a single choice that doesn't have a consequence. It's crazy, things that I literally put no thought into turned out to be game-changers due to the butterfly effect. In the menu it tells you exactly how your choice effected something else. It's fascinating and I've never seen anything like it.

Now maybe different choices can lead to the same initial outcome, but it's not fake because they affect other things eventually.

:O

CHOOO CHOOOOOOOOO

E6iGAkT.jpg
E6iGAkT.jpg

drotahorror

When do preloads on sunday usually start? You'd think I'd know since I get everything digital, but I usually preload on Monday's.

GravyButt

When do preloads on sunday usually start? You'd think I'd know since I get everything digital, but I usually preload on Monday's.
Think id know by now too. I want to say like 2-3pm est. could be wrong. Just hope I can get it done by the the time summerslam starts haha

Drewfonse

I'm getting more excited by the minute. Some of the impressions in this thread are crazy positive.

I agree. Keeping in mind that it's a pre release thread, I'm trying to keep my expectations in check. But you would think at least person would chime in with a "meh" impression. It's creepy.

I agree. Keeping in mind that it's a pre release thread, I'm trying to keep my expectations in check. But you would think at least person would chime in with a "meh" impression. It's creepy.

So far every impression has been positive. I thought we'd get at least one negative or mediocre one by now too, but nope! I think if you know what you're getting with this game you're gonna love it.

Reedirect

So far every impression has been positive. I thought we'd get at least one negative or mediocre one by now too, but nope! I think if you know what you're getting with this game you're gonna love it.

I'm actually surprised we're getting some positive reviews from people who say they're not that much into horror or even generally dislike it. Self-aware teen horror is my jam though, so I already can't wait.

Krakn3Dfx

Is this going to be one of those deals where they claim that you have to pre-order to get the bonus content, and then it turns out that every Day1 copy comes with a DLC code in it anyway?

I hope so. I don't feel like going to Gamestop twice this week.

On Amazon's page, it says they will email you the pre-order bonus code withing 2-3 days of the game shipping, so I think it's a separate code you get.

Fitts

I haven't been keeping up with this game, but I just popped into another (closed) thread in which the first reply described it as "this generation's Heavy Rain." Is this an accurate correlation? Is the writing unintentionally hilarious?* If so, could anyone point me to some footage that will pique my interest?

*This isn't bashing nor a backhanded compliment. I genuinely enjoy Cage's unique "so bad they're good" games and would love to have more in that vein. Incredibly entertaining stuff.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I haven't been keeping up with this game, but I just popped into another (closed) thread in which the first reply described it as "this generation's Heavy Rain." Is this an accurate correlation? Is the writing unintentionally hilarious?* If so, could anyone point me to some footage that will pique my interest?

*This isn't bashing nor a backhanded compliment. I genuinely enjoy Cage's unique "so bad they're good" games and would love to have more in that vein. Incredibly entertaining stuff.

My impression from a 20 minute demo I played at PAX Prime back in 2014 was that the game certainly has a lot of similarities with Heavy Rain, but it is completely different toned, from what I could tell from the demo the choices felt more impactful, and there was definite references and feel of older survival horror games, due partially to fixed camera angles, jump scares, audio, and some light gameplay including some light puzzles and key collecting.

Thematically it pulls from all sorts of things from what I could tell, mostly horror movies. I spotted things referencing and being inspired by Saw, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Dolly Dearest, and other things in the 20 minutes alone.

Its more intentionally bad. Its mimicking a teen horror slasher after all. A few early players said it kinda tries some other (perhaps more serious) stuff eventually too, but we dont know if its good or not. The Heavy Rain comparisons are more directed in the vein of the gameplay of Until Dawn being highly inspired by the former, plus the obvious similarity in the fact that choices can decide if your characters live or die. Keep in mind that a lot of people enjoyed HR taking it seriously, so their comparisons mostly want to say its "as novel and awesome as HR was when it released". It makes sense for Sony to push this as well, considering how successful HR was.

UberTag

I wish I could share a link to one of the most amazing monologues you'll find in any game (a highlight moment from Chapter 3) but I believe it's not legitimately out there in any Sony-sanctioned demo.

So instead I'll pass along this link from the Playstation Underground preview from 4 days ago that will at least give you some indication of the game's cheesy humor and delivery. Just do your best to tune out the host's commentary chatter.

Dusk Golem

The biggest gameplay thing I saw from Heavy Rain in Until Dawn from the demo I played is the animation speed and control thing, that is virtually the same as Heavy Rain whenever you interact with objects.

Fitts

Here's a nice compilation of impressions that a gaffer was generous to go through - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=176268620&postcount=50

*Garbage thread is closed, but a good post nonetheless.

Thanks for bringing my attention to this.

These impressions give me a Raimi/Cabin in the Woods/etc vibe: self aware of the horror genre's inherent silliness and confident enough to embrace it. This is a tough line to toe, however, and many films have gotten this approach wrong so it'll be interesting to see how this turns out.

Color me intrigued. I'll be sure to keep my ear to the ground on this one.

Reule

I have to wait till Tuesday night to play this since we're having people over for an Until Dawn sleepover. I'm glad the impressions have been positive.

Roussow

I don't really care how the game plays, my primary curiosity is how the game handles the story and characters (and how the performances of said characters are), and how the game handles the choices, is it comparable to games like The Walking Dead, Life is Strange, etc?

Dusk Golem

I don't really care how the game plays, my primary curiosity is how the game handles the story and characters (and how the performances of said characters are), and how the game handles the choices, is it comparable to games like The Walking Dead, Life is Strange, etc?

From my understanding from those who have played the game through to completion, what I played in demo form last year, what a friend who has a copy thinks of it, and what is said here:

01.) Story is better than the initial slasher hook would let you know.
02.) Something receiving universal praise at this point is the writing and acting, the characters start as cheesy stereotypes and have some cheesy dialogue, but get more serious later and the characters all get more likable as it goes on, and some of the writing, both cheesy and serious, is actually well-written and the characters have a lot of depth.
03.) This game has a more in-depth choice system than any of the games you mentioned. Everything from bigger to smaller choices make a differences, some choices you think are small at the time much later in will suddenly come back to haunt you, the 'big' outcome of choices is that it is possible for every character to live, or every character to die, or some combination of characters to live/die, but lots of other choices outside of life/death, which effects the characters relationships, developments in the story, and other such things.

The choice system is being praised by those playing, the developer claims that there are several different endings to the game, and various variations of each ending, making there literally hundreds of endings, and says there's thousands of different branching possibilities in the game.

Fitts

Skimmed that video above... that prompt to go together or alone got me hyped. If I'm able to willfully steer characters toward all the dumbest horror movie decisions then I'm super on board for that!

Edit: also, I love that it has the cliche of a bunch of thirty-something actors playing teenagers. :)

Thanks for bringing my attention to this.

These impressions give me a Raimi/Cabin in the Woods/etc vibe: self aware of the horror genre's inherent silliness and confident enough to embrace it. This is a tough line to toe, however, and many films have gotten this approach wrong so it'll be interesting to see how this turns out.

Color me intrigued. I'll be sure to keep my ear to the ground on this one.

Glad my my post was actually useful to someone instead of just getting ignored in that other shitty thread that was just locked.

Really excited for the OT and so people can start telling how their story ended etc. One thing I noticed to in one chapter. I went complete the other way at one moment, found some very interesting notes explaining stuff and if I hadn't seen that, I wouldn't have know more of the "reason" . Def pays to explore, and because of the Resident Evil style camera, sometimes the areas looks like you might not be able to go that way, then it suddenly switches and your like aha.... collectible/totem.

Roussow

From my understanding from those who have played the game through to completion, what I played in demo form last year, what a friend who has a copy thinks of it, and what is said here:

01.) Story is better than the initial slasher hook would let you know.
02.) Something receiving universal praise at this point is the writing and acting, the characters start as cheesy stereotypes and have some cheesy dialogue, but get more serious later and the characters all get more likable as it goes on, and some of the writing, both cheesy and serious, is actually well-written and the characters have a lot of depth.
03.) This game has a more in-depth choice system than any of the games you mentioned. Everything from bigger to smaller choices make a differences, some choices you think are small at the time much later in will suddenly come back to haunt you, the 'big' outcome of choices is that it is possible for every character to live, or every character to die, or some combination of characters to live/die, but lots of other choices outside of life/death, which effects the characters relationships, developments in the story, and other such things.

The choice system is being praised by those playing, the developer claims that there are several different endings to the game, and various variations of each ending, making there literally hundreds of endings, and says there's thousands of different branching possibilities in the game.

This is quite promising, especially the choice system -- I normally don't expect every choice in a game to "matter" (not that it takes away from the decision making process).

It's good to see there will be a great deal of replayability. One more question, are there any elements of the game that are randomized per-playthrough? Given the amount of variants in the game at large, are there any variants outside of the players control?

Fitts

Glad my my post was actually useful to someone instead of just getting ignored in that other shitty thread that was just locked.

Yeah, thanks again! Your post definitely helped enlighten me as to what this game I all about. :)

Really excited for the OT and so people can start telling how their story ended etc. One thing I noticed to in one chapter. I went complete the other way at one moment, found some very interesting notes explaining stuff and if I hadn't seen that, I wouldn't have know more of the "reason" . Def pays to explore, and because of the Resident Evil style camera, sometimes the areas looks like you might not be able to go that way, then it suddenly switches and your like aha.... collectible/totem.

What are the collectible/totems used for? Do they just provide flavor text giving you more insight into the story or will they actually help you during a pivotal moment?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Yeah, thanks again! Your post definitely helped enlighten me as to what this game I all about. :)

What are the collectible/totems used for? Do they just provide flavor text giving you more insight into the story or will they actually help you during a pivotal moment?

Don't the totems give you insight into one possible future? I think I saw that somewhere.

So, can you still play this game with the move controller? If so, do you use it with the navigation controller to walk around? Or did they simply abandon the move controller for the Dual Shock 4 exclusively?

Totems show future stuff but also add to a video that showcases a truth.

Vaga

They offer slight glimpses into the future, some warn about impending danger or death, some offer guidance in your actions or choosing the right allies. Basically totems slightly help you choose the right course of actions as to survive.

Trogdor1123

Wife just let me know that mine should be here on tuesday. Amazon shipped it a few days ago... I am so excited after reading all of this.

UberTag

So will "playing smart" help? Or is it truly random and option A just as dangerous/safe as option B?
I would argue the latter more.
Especially because the game often switches perspectives.

Not to spoil anything but there is one instance where you find a useful item with one player and you may think that you should keep it for yourself to have as protection. But what you actually need to do is to give that item to the other person because the perspective in that chapter will switch back over to them and THEY will be the ones who will need to make use of it.

And if they don't have it... well...

Sometimes what seems like the more common sense / safe route is actually the one that leads to ruin. And sometimes that's not the case at all. Frankly, I love the variety because it ensures there will be adversity that every gamer must conquer regardless of their play style (reckless vs. overly cautious).

It's good to see there will be a great deal of replayability. One more question, are there any elements of the game that are randomized per-playthrough? Given the amount of variants in the game at large, are there any variants outside of the players control?
Nothing is truly randomized in each playthrough attempt. So you can follow a cookie cutter walkthrough to the letter should you wish and get the intended outcome. I actually wish they had mixed up the required QTE prompts as other games have done to forego memorization... but that's not the case.

Ricker

Grrr...even digital versions are 75 bucks plus tax up here in Canada now,and I won't be able to rent this early Thuesday morning so it means it will be out for about a month...damn you CAD dollar.

UberTag

Grrr...even digital versions are 75 bucks plus tax up here in Canada now,and I won't be able to rent this early Thuesday morning so it means it will be out for about a month...damn you CAD dollar.
You're getting charged tax on PSN digital preorders?

Elitist1945

You shouldn't be getting charged tax on PSN.

Fitts

Re: totems, thanks for the responses, all! Sounds like it could be an interesting mechanic for a game like this.

They offer slight glimpses into the future, some warn about impending danger or death, some offer guidance in your actions or choosing the right allies. Basically totems slightly help you choose the right course of actions as to survive.

Or to intentionally lead a character headlong into a harrowing situation. ;)

Damn... my girlfriend hates horror but I'm wondering if I might be able to convince her to play this along with me. This seems like the kind of thing that I would really enjoy sharing with someone else.

UberTag

Damn... my girlfriend hates horror but I'm wondering if I might be able to convince her to play this along with me. This seems like the kind of thing that I would really enjoy sharing with someone else.
I think that largely depends on what exactly it is about horror she doesn't like.
Because if it's gore and jump scares. Well... she's probably not going to like Until Dawn.

If it's people being dumb... well, you're in complete control of their decisions here.

Top Bottom