• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn - Review Thread

I'm shocked that they are as high as they are - games like this usually average lower scores because it's sort of a divisive genre. As someone who loved all of Quantic Dreams games, Telltale, Dontnod, etc., I'm super excited to dig into this tomorrow.

Torgo

Once again, we follow the rules but others get away with doing what the want. Our review and podcast will release when the embargo lifts at 10 a.m. Central

:-/

Troy

Banned
Never tried redbox. Will they all have it?

Planned on buying day one since its reveal, but I'd try redbox to save some money.

Redbox has ramped up PS4 and Xbox One support over the past couple of months. They're advertising Until Dawn, so I assume they're going to give it a wide release like they did God of War (thankful I didn't buy that one and was able to Redbox it).

Wow scores are coming in better than I expected, great, I was thinking mostly 6's and 7's. I've been looking forward to this for ages so I'm pleased it's turned out well.

Why the hell do people mention The Order in every Until Dawn thread?

Well why not? It was Sony's last cinematic-heavy, first-party release until now, and it's still fresh in people's minds. It's only natural for it to be brought up.

Edit - Oh, and they both feature music by Jason Graves. :3

Embargo seems to have lifted early. Push Square's review is ready to go, but I'm checking with Sony whether we can publish early.

IGN 7.5

Some decisions I made in Until Dawn had minor consequences, some left me genuinely shocked, and all felt satisfyingly connected to an action I had made. I played through twice to mess around with its systems, and was delighted to find new storylines and information I’d missed the first time around by choosing different options.

Until Dawn is a flawed, but fun experience. Though an unfocused story means it falls short of greatness, it’s an otherwise entertaining homage to the curious traditions of horror movies which pays off your in-game decisions with occasionally shocking consequences.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/08/24/until-dawn-review

Pretty much what I expected and wanted to hear.
Sounds like they achieved what they were going for.
Will definitely check this out when I get a PS4.

BeeDog

So because someone's site is a a "no-name" that makes the review obsolete? Lol, the Gamespot review for Gears of War: UE was laughable. Score was lowered because the only way to progress in the game is to shoot the bad guys.

Not saying their views and opinions are worthless, but I'm super-wary of unknown sites putting together articles to beat the big sites, essentially fishing for clicks.

Ricky_R

I'm going to be honest here. I thought this was going to flop based on the nature of the gameplay.

I guess critics understood what the game was going for.

Loudninja

Yeah I think they nail this
Until Dawn may be in the same camp as other Sony exclusives like Heavy Rain and Beyond, as while it appears to offer a much broader spectrum of interactivity, it ultimately comes down to a linear storyline and quick two-choice decisions. However, the way in which it tells this storyline makes it really enjoyable to sit down and play through in a few nights as the graphics, performances, comfortable clichés and the illusion of choice work together to make a pretty great horror experience.
http://www.rocketchainsaw.com.au/ps4/until-dawn-ps4-review-24814/

I like Until Dawn |OT| Your Choices Actually Matter myself.
I am going to guess GamesRadar is going to give it an 8 considering they often score story-based games pretty fair.

HockeyDud

Neo Member
Not saying their views and opinions are worthless, but I'm super-wary of unknown sites putting together articles to beat the big sites, essentially fishing for clicks.

IGN was one of the very first sites to publish their review on this lol. It takes one person to break an embargo for the flood gates to lift on stuff like this, nothing new.

I figured this would be a neat Horror game with a fairly unique "play with friends" mechanic that would give it a niche. But I also thought it would be flawed, probably a little simplistic, and potentially not really worth it at launch for it's full price.

It's early, but it seems like I was only right about the first part, which makes me pretty damn happy.

IGN was one of the very first sites to publish their review on this lol. It takes one person to break an embargo for the flood gates to lift on stuff like this, nothing new.

IGN seems to have been under the impression the embargo was 7 AM, not 8

fj9jjKl.png

Forkball

On a scale from 1 to 2, how spooky is this game?

I'm curious to see how complex the "butterfly effect" is in this game. The big selling point is that you can play it multiple times, so hopefully there are enough major changes that each playthrough won't be the same with just a few minor story points altered.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Huh. Honestly would have never guessed this game would have turned out pretty well considering everything its gone through.

Game has absolutely no buzz. $60 price point was such a death knell for the game. I'm interested in checking it out though.

Catdaddy

Yeah it's strange. The Order was a third person shooter...this is a horror/exploration game. Completely different.

Until Dawn said straight up that it’s an interactive movie and even the trailers/marketing say that. The Order appeared to be a third person shooter that had interactive elements, it was the other way around.

Good scores, I pre-ordered after seeing some of the early impressions and the fact I like this genre.

kurahador

IGN noted that the story took a sharp left turn in the second half into something silly.

I wonder if it means that the game tries pulling a Cabin in The Woods thing and failed.

TraBuch

Banned
When Beyond came out and I saw the review scores, I figured that reviewers were just over the whole story-driven cinematic adventure game thing. But then Life is Strange came out and got strong reviews, and this is coming out and getting strong reviews.

Guess Beyond was just bad.

Sojgat

Surprisingly good scores. This is one of the first games in a long time that I was waiting on reviews to inform my purchasing decision.

Definitely picking this up now.

Top Bottom