• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn - Review Thread

Loudninja

Huh. Honestly would have never guessed this game would have turned out pretty well considering everything its gone through.

Game has absolutely no buzz. $60 price point was such a death knell for the game. I'm interested in checking it out though.
Eh the past few week shave been nothing but buzz.

Dinjooh

The only real question is. Does this game have photo mode? Or, how long till we get photo mode!

There ain't no pausing this action! But so far it has produced some quite amazing results in the screenshot thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=176362818&postcount=8211

UntilDawn20150824150.jpg

UntilDawn20150824151.jpg

d4dUntilDawn20150824151.jpg

When Beyond came out and I saw the review scores, I figured that reviewers were just over the whole story-driven cinematic adventure game thing. But then Life is Strange came out and got strong reviews, and this is coming out and getting strong reviews.

Guess Beyond was just bad.
Beyond to me was a bit of a boring story. This is much like Heavy Rain in presentation which the reviews are scoring it about the same.

I am glad there is a place in gaming for story driven games personally.

Huh. Honestly would have never guessed this game would have turned out pretty well considering everything its gone through.

Game has absolutely no buzz. $60 price point was such a death knell for the game. I'm interested in checking it out though.

Unless I missed something when did retail games stop being $60 ?

Really? It is getting this many high scores? The 20 minute game play video I watched was bad looking. The dialogue was like it was written by a tween. Craziness.

When Beyond came out and I saw the review scores, I figured that reviewers were just over the whole story-driven cinematic adventure game thing. But then Life is Strange came out and got strong reviews, and this is coming out and getting strong reviews.

Guess Beyond was just bad.

Beyond was better than most people gave it credit for, I think. It had a lot of problems, but one of the most common complaints was about the story not diverging enough or not feeling like their choices made a difference, but they really did the game just hid branching paths VERY well.

Endo Punk

Yeah it's strange. The Order was a third person shooter...this is a horror/exploration game. Completely different.

It still wont stop people because a lot of them were invested in its success almost as if they were shareholders. The Order salt was unparalleled this gen and so many ridiculous comparisons were made to justify the terrible decisions made in the game. It had an incredibly confusing message and just didn't know what it wanted to be whereas Until Dawn is a cinematic/QTE adventure and excelled in it compared to The Order. The problem isn't QTE its when it's used badly.

TiberusX87

Neo Member
For those questioning the embargo time. This was in the email that Australian reviewers received:

"Please note that all reviews and social media posts are embargoed until 00:01 AET Tuesday 25 August."

VanWinkle

I'm so impressed with the visuals they got out of the Killzone Shadow Fall engine. It looks better than that game in some ways, particularly image quality and character modes.

Seems to be an issue with Australia. All of the sites that have gone live early are based in Australia, so a communication error, I guess. :)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Really nice scores. Much higher than expected. I won't be able to play it for a while but I'm really looking forward to it.

Pastry

Banned
Looks fun, glad it's getting good reviews! I'll probably try and get it from a Redbox near me and play with the girlfriend if I can convince her lol

TI82

Banned
Lol, people jumped all over my post for some reason. The Order and Until Dawn are both clearly games in the "cinematic genre" this is really evident when you look at pre release hype for the order. They just went about this goal in different ways.

And this isn't a knock to either game, the order just reviewed poorly so I thought this would too. Calm down people.

Wow. Was expecting another The Order.
The main difference was The Order 1886 wasn't really honest with how it was advertised.
Until Dawn has been pretty honest since Day One. Even if the game is only 6 hours long, there is still branching story paths and such that will make it last probably 12 to see everything. Much like 999 or Zero Escape: VLR was presented.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Seems to be alot of confusing here lol.

Everyone got an email with the game that says when the embargo lifts. And unless Sony sent a ninja email over the weekend, nothing changed. :)

Just confused why the reviews were published ahead of embargo. I could have published our review on the weekend if that was the case. Bwahaha!

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Lol, people jumped all over my post for some reason. The Order and Until Dawn are both clearly games in the "cinematic genre" this is really evident when you look at pre release hype for the order. They just went about this goal in different ways.

And this isn't a knock to either game, the order just reviewed poorly so I thought this would too. Calm down people.

A cinematic approach does not define a genre. They're completely different games.

So the embargo properly lifts in 25 minutes time then?

Not all of the sites are Australian

I inquired about the embargo, because of these reviews going up early, but was told to stick to the 11am EST time.

I wish my review could've gone up early. I've had it written for two days now.

Great news! I think I am going to preorder this now on my lunch break for tomorrow pick up. All I was waiting for aggregate reviews to confirm what first impressions were saying.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

nikos

Redbox has ramped up PS4 and Xbox One support over the past couple of months. They're advertising Until Dawn, so I assume they're going to give it a wide release like they did God of War (thankful I didn't buy that one and was able to Redbox it).

Thanks! I'll try to track it down online before going to buy it. Happy spending the money on this either way.

lunchtoast

Looks like a good game to experience with the gf. She has no interest in video games but always wanting to watch horror movies.

ViciousDS

Banned
so excited!!!!!! Can't wait to get drunk and play this with buddies over the weekend....how much do we actually have to walk around and stuff? I'm actually hoping for a gore/QTE fest....that way it makes everyone screaming decisions easier XD

Top Bottom