• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Updated numbers show PS4 selling twice as much as XB1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sony just needs to cut the smartphone and TV anchors loose and focus on what is working.

Playstation needs support and financial resources to get psn up to world class quality service.

They also need a world class quality OS and software team that can quickly iterate and improve the system software with new and exciting features.

As well as partnering with studios to develop a steady schedule of must have exclusive titles.

If they can patch up these weaknesses they will reap the rewards for the next 15 or more years.

DBT85

Just the first like 20 posts lol

Sony will be vaporized, that's all I know.

Same as this one.

Nintendo 1st
Microsoft 2nd
Sony 3rd

Sony 4th.
MS 3rd.
Ninty 2nd.
Valve 1st.

Microsoft 1st
Nintendo 2nd
Sony 3rd, drops out of console business

I base this off absolutely nothing

Nintendo continues to dominate the handheld arena. It also maintains a lead for the home console space, but it's much closer this time in terms of hardware sales. Third-party software sales will see a boost for Nintendo, as well as the other next-gen consoles (compared to this gen) because of a (hopefully) recovering NA economy. Nintendo first party sales will continue to reign supreme, though.

Hardware in the U.S.
1. Nintendo
2. Microsoft
3. Sony

Hardware in Japan
1. Nintendo
2. Sony
3. Microsoft

I know nothing about PAL regions

Sony will not drop out of the race. Microsoft will debut a handheld system late next-gen, but it is more multimedia-oriented. Sony will stop selling a dedicated gaming portable device, which will be similar to what Microsoft offers.

The PS4's big boost over the other 2 consoles in the last quarter is probably because they had a huge games advantage with TLOU coming out in July, and the Destiny bundle selling massive amounts.

(Meanwhile the X1 & Wii U had practically nothing other than a X1 Madden bundle)

Now that the holidays are here, PS4 will still sell well, but I don't expect them to be shipping 60+ percent of current gen. consoles like last quarter.
Xbox One will do significantly better thanks to it's strong set of exclusives this holiday, and it's price cut in NA.
Also, Wii U sales should be up thanks to games like Bayonetta and especially SSB.

I would expect end of year shipment numbers to be around 19M PS4/ 10.5M X1/ 10M WiiU.

Exclusives don't push console sales anywhere near games like Call of Duty. Playstation will continue to be dominant.

2thepoint

It begins. I was just at work the other and a guy came in with some buddies and was looking at the PS4 section. He asked if there was anything special coming with CoD: AW and I told him about the AW Xbone bundle. He got really excited when he heard it had 1TB and other features you can't get on PS4. He comes back the next day with his PS4 and games and trades them all in, saying his buddies will be trading in their PS4s for Xbones too. You all laughed at the Xbox One when it first came out, but let's look at the facts. Xbox One has:

- the best exclusives (Halo: MCC, Sunset Overdrive, NFL Network)
- the best controller
- the best media apps
- the brightest future
- the most fun per each hour spent playing a game
- the best network infrastructure powered by expensive cloud servers
- the cheapest consoles

compared to the PS4 which has:

- the best graphics (who cares, gameplay>graphics)
- the most indie games (who plays indies?)
- the worst controller
- the worst network infrastructure ran by monkeys
- the worst network security imaginable
- the most rabid bunch of fanboys ever seen
- the most arrogant executives

When you stop and compare the pros and cons for each system, can you really blame those guys for trading in their PS4s with all the broken promises and stupid pictures of tubs for a Xbox One? Jump in GAF.

This has to be a parody.

XB1 is about to become the next Dreamcast.

Why would it?
It is currently outpacing the 360 in first year sells, has strong 3rd and 1st party backing, and a wealthy corp. backing it who sees potential in keeping it around...

I think people see threads like this, and get the wrong idea. XB1 is selling at a very healthy pace. The PS4 is just selling at such a rapid pace that it makes it seem like the X1 is doing bad.

Destiny selling a lot more on Xbox One.
Despite the double digit millions Sony invested in the title.

Just throwing that stat out there for fun.
Console hardware sales don't always tell the full story for the industry as a whole.

Just talking about US for now

I didn't get anything wrong :).

I choose my words carefully for a reason, you're entitled to read it any way you'd like!

I didn't say anything about Play, and I didn't say anything about Bundles because those copies are purchased by the publisher and not the consumer. ::shrug::

I like playing with people's perspective, and I was trying to help avoiding this thread turning into yet another console bashing without some additional conversation topic points so there ya go, have fun

Dat spin lol

layback-spin-o.gif

You do realize the Xbox One is still selling better than the 360 was at this time right?

MS is doing alot of things right atm.

Remember the ps3? Ppl said it was dead the first 3 years also.

The PS3 was $599, Playstation is relevant outside the US, and it launched a year later. Can we a stop with the false equivalence already?

It begins. I was just at work the other and a guy came in with some buddies and was looking at the PS4 section. He asked if there was anything special coming with CoD: AW and I told him about the AW Xbone bundle. He got really excited when he heard it had 1TB and other features you can't get on PS4. He comes back the next day with his PS4 and games and trades them all in, saying his buddies will be trading in their PS4s for Xbones too. You all laughed at the Xbox One when it first came out, but let's look at the facts. Xbox One has:

- the best exclusives (Halo: MCC, Sunset Overdrive, NFL Network)
- the best controller
- the best media apps
- the brightest future
- the best network infrastructure powered by expensive cloud servers
- the cheapest consoles

compared to the PS4 which has:

- the best graphics (who cares, gameplay>graphics)
- the most indie games (who plays indies?)
- the worst controller
- the worst network infrastructure ran by monkeys
- the worst network security imaginable
- the most rabid bunch of fanboys ever seen
- the most arrogant executives

When you stop and compare the pros and cons for each system, can you really blame those guys for trading in their PS4s with all the broken promises and stupid pictures of tubs for a Xbox One? Jump in GAF.

Troll post? It has to be.

Despite that yes, XB1 network structure is better, you are being totally hyperbolic in what PSN is.
The rest, are totally subjective things. Opinions as facts?

theWB27

Were you living under a rock when the XBO was announced?, the 180's change nothing because according to them... we Neanderthals weren't ready...

The 180's changed everything. I, personally, don't give a care what they personally think as long as they offer a valid product.

Apparently...Nintendo doesn't think their fans are ready for a comprehensive online network and a system powerful enough to receive full 3rd party support along the same lines of Sony and Microsoft.

I wasn't living under a rock, but I can't be bothered to hold grudges against a product that's sole purpose is my entertainment.

Exclusives don't push console sales anywhere near games like Call of Duty. Playstation will continue to be dominant.

So your saying that even though Xbox has exclusive timed DLC on Cod, it marketed with Cod, and has an exclusive bundle with Cod & a 1TB Hardrive, Cod will still sell more PS4's than XB1s?

I mean I might could see this happening in Europe, but everywhere else, I highly doubt it.

I choose my words carefully for a reason, you're entitled to read it any way you'd like!

I didn't say anything about Play, and I didn't say anything about Bundles because those copies are purchased by the publisher and not the consumer. ::shrug::

I like playing with people's perspective, and I was trying to help avoiding this thread turning into yet another console bashing without some additional conversation topic points so there ya go, have fun
You sound like an MS employee. :S

Percy

Banned
You do realize the Xbox One is still selling better than the 360 was at this time right?

MS is doing alot of things right atm.

Remember the ps3? Ppl said it was dead the first 3 years also.

The bolded hasn't been the case for a while now I believe.

Let's see....

Sony will never retake the #1 spot. Microsoft is too deeply embedded with XBL for that to ever happen.

Both MS and Sony will lose some more gamers to the PC, Nintendo... no idea. I don't see the Wii U doing great.

The PS4 will do worse than the VITA, they have lost to much brand recognition, exclusives and they have IPs noone gives a shit about besides nerds on the internet. Coupled with no backwards compatibility (due to the abandonment of the Cell), Sony is destined for last place again. Failing all that, the PS4 will be $499-$549 and we will get a repeat of the PS3 but this time it will be much worse.

And many more!

LMAO

Raist

Banned

Well maybe you should have said "Destiny retail non-bundled acquired more by XB1 owners" since that info didn't include DD, bundles, and MS was throwing one free game at that time, including Destiny. These would have been a lot more careful words :p

So your saying that even though Xbox has exclusive timed DLC on Cod, it marketed with Cod, and has an exclusive bundle with Cod & a 1TB Hardrive, Cod will still sell more PS4's than XB1s?

I mean I might could see this happening in Europe, but everywhere else, I highly doubt it.

COD could push more Xbones sure, but it's not an exclusive. I was talking strictly about exclusives.

Except for the fact that the Xbox One has consistently been the same price as or cheaper than the PS4 through price cuts and bundles for the last six months or longer.

But, if you are talking about console sales, the last generation was not remotely close.

you might want to look at those sales again.

360 and PS3 are somewhere at about 85 million, give or take a million units or so and still selling. Wii ended up at about 100.

This is WAAAAAAAAAY closer than any generation before it.

Webhead

Banned
Microsoft still has a super secret in 2015 though! A super secret!

Lol, 2015 is the year of the secret gpu hidden in the psu!

On a serious note, freaking a congrats to Sony! The ps4 is one heck of a system and Sony has done a lot of right things leading up to this gen, I think they deserve the high sales.

On the other hand, I think Microsoft is really trying hard to right their wrongs, put out a great system for gamers, and focus a lot more on GAMES GAMES GAMES instead of TV TV TV. As someone who is very invested in games, the gaming culture, etc. etc. I am really proud of both companies.

Webhead

Banned
The 180's changed everything. I, personally, don't give a care what they personally think as long as they offer a valid product.

Apparently...Nintendo doesn't think their fans are ready for a comprehensive online network and a system powerful enough to receive full 3rd party support along the same lines of Sony and Microsoft.

I wasn't living under a rock, but I can't be bothered to hold grudges against a product that's sole purpose is my entertainment.

Solid.

Microsoft should be able to close the gap ratio wise just because of US. I think it'll be around 1.85-1 or so by the end of the year. I'm expecting it to go WAY up though early next year as Microsoft has basically nothing. If E3 is anything to go by Sony has marketing rights on Battlefield: Hardline and Batman: Arkham Knight, arguably the two biggest games in the first half of next year, not even mentioning their first party games.

Duster

Damn! I was worried about the way the word "fun" has increasingly been used defensively but I thought there was still hope of saving it, now the word is being used in parodies the battle is officially lost.

Great for you. But the intentions were there and that's all that matters to me, i won't forgive them... ever.

Tigress

while I would enjoy another Sony month in November I don't think they have enough to get over the price drop and MCC.

GTAV might be a wild card though.

This. I think MS has a chance at it this month, especially if Sony doesn't respond. And next month as well.

That being said, at the moment I kinda wish MS would challenge Sony. Xbox people have MS fawning all over them right now, Sony is really starting to feel like they are coasting (and Sony was better when PS3 wasn't doing good. I mean even last year PS+ was an awesome deal and yes I am griping about how I feel PS+ has gone downhill... to the point that I think I have to agree with the naysayers who were saying this earlier that I was saying were being overreactionary. Makes me feel like when I was arguing with the naysayers saying .99 cent games was a bad thing for mobile, they also turned out to be right).

I think Sony needs a little kick in the butt (enough to make them feel at least a little nervous).

COD could push more Xbones sure, but it's not an exclusive. I was talking strictly about exclusives.

but you said "exclusives DONT push sales as much as games like Cod" and that because of that PS4 will dominate.

I'm arguing that Cod is a bad example as it is marketed with X1, but if your talking about multiplatforms in general, I think I would have to agree, and that would of coarse be one of the biggest reasons why the PS4 has been doing so well.

MilesTeg

Banned
Once PS4 hits $299 it's gonna sell like crazy too, especially with big name multiplats hitting in the next couple years.

What multiplats have not sold more on PS4? I do recall incredibly aggressive CoD: Ghosts advertisement for X1 and the PS4 version still sold more. Same for FIFA and Madden.

So, you think CoD will sell more on X1? Oh! Because "shooter fans are primarily on Xbox" etc. Please recall that the same platitudes were given for Titanfall and Madden.

Microsoft should be able to close the gap ratio wise just because of US. I think it'll be around 1.85-1 or so by the end of the year. I'm expecting it to go WAY up though early next year as Microsoft has basically nothing. If E3 is anything to go by Sony has marketing rights on Battlefield: Hardline and Batman: Arkham Knight, arguably the two biggest games in the first half of next year, not even mentioning their first party games.

The US has not been helping them. They're getting outsold there too, just not to the completely laughable degrees that they are in the rest of the world.

This one is gold.
Sony = Doomed, they lost all the big exlusives, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, etc. They have their first party studios and IPS but they aren't system sellers. I think we will see Naughty Dog buying themselves back from Sony and becoming an independent studio at the first hint of trouble with PS4. Microsoft will probably try to make PS4 launch lineup look dry, by getting timed exclusivity for Star Wars 1313, Watch_Dogs etc. They could also sabotage major third party engines by paying Epic or Crytek (who they are very close to) and asking them to cripple the engines, to make Xbox 720 look good.

The US has not been helping them. They're getting outsold there too, just not to the completely laughable degrees that they are in the rest of the world.

Ye they are still behind a million in sales. I just don't see Xbox One doing a million more in sales in 2 months even if they are the 2 biggest months of the year.

GreenFear

Banned
Microsoft won me over hard with the price drop and the white sso bundle. Always thought I would end up with a ps4 but damn the white xbox one is so beautiful and sso is so much fun. Also I can't wait to grab forza horizon 2, the demo made me giggle like a little girl. I feel like xbox one sales are going to be sky high for november.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom