• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Updated Resident Evil Franchise sales (RE7 at 200K of 2M fisc year goal 3 months in)

Jawmuncher

All the regular enemies react at certain points and hits. They just don't exaggerate like the reactions in RE4 and RE5.

But considering it's brought up time and time again that they don't react. Capcom I guess needs to stick with more pronounced reactions so people know the difference.

dlauv

All the regular enemies react at certain points and hits. They just don't exaggerate like the reactions in RE4 and RE5.

But considering it's brought up time and time again that they don't react. Capcom I guess needs to stick with more pronounced reactions so people know the difference.

I say seemingly because it's very weak in comparison to what came before. It's just a tame judder or something. They also seem to have less response areas for combos.

Zombies are of course less reactive than J'avo or whatever they're called.

But you're right. It's a problem in 6, Rev, Rev 2, and 7.

The 'enemies don't react' is just another part of the endless internet bullshit surrounding this game.

R3AsklU.gif

They literally react to every shot.

Not to mention RE6 actually makes use of this by having different hit zones do different things, making it actually gameplay relevent instead of just flair. Like shooting them in the shoulder to spin them around for a behind the back coup de grâce.

VNXNJhN.gif

If RE6's hit reactions are terrible to you then so is every other shooter in existence.

Sesha

Melee hit reactions in RE6 are kind of crap. It's the sound effects they use, a lot of which are reused from RE5, It feels off. The stomp being the worst. Hate it. I have similar problems with DMC4. Hitting most of the enemies in that game produce sort of soft and thwomp-y sounds.

dlauv

The 'enemies don't react' is just another part of the endless internet bullshit surrounding this game.

R3AsklU.gif

They literally react to every shot.

Not to mention RE6 actually makes use of this by having different hit zones do different things, making it actually gameplay relevent instead of just flair. Like shooting them in the shoulder to spin them around for a behind the back coup de grâce.

VNXNJhN.gif

If RE6's hit reactions are terrible to you then so is every other shooter in existence.

Hit zones have been a thing since four. The hit reactions are also better in four. Five has some stiffness to body shots thought. The squelch isn't satisfying either.

Riposte

Leon campaign pistols are basically peashooters, so I wouldn't be surprised that left a negative impression on hit reactions for zombies.

Not after the abomination that is Resi 6. Just mental spastics going on in that game.

lol did you mean mental gymnastics? Spastics is pretty mean.

It'll be pretty disappointing if they go back to action RE.

RE4 is the only good action RE game, and it is fantastic. Everything after has ranged from mediocre to bad. There are a bazillion shooters that are better than RE5 and RE6.

dlauv

The best joke is the one which doesn't draw attention to itself.

There's no evidence to conclude that it's intentionally shitty or that Capcom is so high brow. Unless you're just being cheeky. This is the same company that thought RE6 would horrify people. Up until Rev 2 and 7, self-aware humor was all localization side or non-diegetic, and localization dropped the ball with 6, imo, because none of the lines were funny.

Reminds me of the people who think Sonic Forces is high parody. Or the people who thought Doom 2016 was totally serious.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
There's no evidence to conclude that it's intentionally shitty or that Capcom is so high brow. Unless you're just being cheeky. This is the same company that thought RE6 would horrify people. Up until Rev 2 and 7, self-aware humor was all localization side or non-diegetic, and localization dropped the ball with 6, imo, because none of the lines were funny.

What? Capcom never said RE6 would be horror. What the heck are you on about?

This is sad considering RE7 was marvelous and one of the best horror games I've ever played. I would love to see a future installment build on its foundation.

On the other hand, RE6 was a mess and the worst game in the series that I've played (by far). RE5 was alright, but I don't think it deserves to be the best selling one.

Ah well. I'm looking forward to REmake 2 at least.

You didn't buy it so how you can call it an abomination?

I did get it as a gift sorry for bday, On the basis it had similar co-op too R5, It didn't as it didnt allow you to even keep your equipment and items and drop in/out with them. Fastest game i have ever sold.

It'll be pretty disappointing if they go back to action RE.

RE4 is the only good action RE game, and it is fantastic. Everything after has ranged from mediocre to bad. There are a bazillion shooters that are better than RE5 and RE6.
Bazillion lol. Better than 5, maybe. Name three that are better than 6. I can come up with one: Vanquish

Edit: I mean look at those kick ass gifs on this very page. 6's combat mechanics are freaking fantastic.

Ahasverus

RE6 fans are inches away from Trump supporters in their rhetoric in how they treat the traditional series fans.

"We WON in sales! We're the majority! Suck it you guys who liked Resident Evil when it was, you know, Resident Evil; yes critics hated it, yes, it's dumb, we KNOW that but we LOVE it, we WON, Capcom, return to action make Resident Evil great again!"

Neiteio

RE6 fans are inches away from Trump supporters.

"We WON in sales! We're the majority! Suck it you guys who liked Resident Evil when it was, you know, Resident Evil, we WON, make Resident Evil dumb again!"
Oh please. RE6 has fantastic mechanics. Watch some pro Mercs play, it's astounding what you can do. I sunk hundreds of hours into that mode on PS3 and PS4. Incredibly addictive when you actually know how to play.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
The producer and director did in a video interview. I'll try looking for it later for you.

Also, remember: their "genre" for 6 is dramatic horror.

Dramatic Horror is fitting. Horror trappings for a soap-opera story.

But you won't find anyone behind RE6 mentioning that you're meant to be horrified by the game.

"We WON in sales! We're the majority! Suck it you guys who liked Resident Evil when it was, you know, Resident Evil; yes critics hated it, yes, it's dumb, we KNOW that but we LOVE it, we WON, Capcom, return to action make Resident Evil great again!"

... For real?

I even just got done replaying Vanquish and I stand by my statement. RE6's combat is top tier with its movement mechanics and unparrelled enemy variety that actually makes you use it.

Fair play if you really think that.....

Vanquish is on another level compared to RE6 for me, 6 doesn't even come close the greatness that Vanquish was.

dlauv

Dramatic Horror is fitting. Horror trappings for a soap-opera story.

But you won't find anyone behind RE6 mentioning that you're meant to be horrified

Yeah, you will. In the interview I mentioned. The dramatic horror bit was a side note for you.

Ahasverus

Oh please. RE6 has fantastic mechanics. Watch some pro Mercs play, it's astounding what you can do. I sunk hundreds of hours into that mode on PS3 and PS4. Incredibly addictive when you actually know how to play.
A series whose spirit is to survive bio weapons shouldn't have mechanics, as "fantastic" as they might be, where you can sucker punch a zombie in the face.

I mean, nothing is stopping Capcom from creating another franchise with those mechanics. They're so, so, so far removed from what RE is that you really shouldn't be mad at fans getting mad.

It's like turning Super Mario into a character action game. Yes, it might play from God itself, but at that point is it really Super Mario?

No one is saying "Don't make another RE4", hell, most of us would be ok with another 5, but 6.. oh my god, 6, it's really as if the writers and designers had caught the T-virus themselves and were getting dumber.

Shit was dumb

BadWolf

Remind me again which of RE 1-3 was an FPS.

Ahasverus

Remind me again which of RE 1-3 was an FPS.
RE6 being third person doesn't make it more similar to 1-3 than 7.

7 is built literally on the blueprint from 1, only in first person (I will not defend this decision, but I suppose it worked for VR).

Calling it a first person shooter is like calling 1-3 third person shooters.

Neff

There's no evidence to conclude that it's intentionally shitty or that Capcom is so high brow. Unless you're just being cheeky.

Japan is pretty big on camp, and camp works best when it's played straight. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that Capcom enjoys a good wheeze as much as anyone.

Well if this isn't the most desperate and defeated method of announcing dislike of a videogame I don't know what is.

Oh please. RE6 has fantastic mechanics. Watch some pro Mercs play, it's astounding what you can do.

I'd say skilled campaign play on the higher difficulties is more representative of the game at its best. The combination of confined space and more aggressive enemies shows players relying on the toolset, rather than simply showing off with it.

BadWolf

RE6 being third person doesn't make it more similar to 1-3 than 7.

7 is built literally on the blueprint from 1, only in first person (I will not defend this decision, but I suppose it worked for VR).

Calling it a first person shooter is like calling 1-3 third person shooters.

RE7 is an FPS.

If you can't see that playing the second half of the game in particular then you have bigger problems to worry about.

Don't know what blueprints you have seen but RE7's are most definitely not literally RE1.

Peroroncino

Well this is stupid. I guess nazi comparisons ain't too far behind huh? And all because you like one game over the other.

Ahasverus

Well if this isn't the most desperate and defeated method of announcing dislike of a videogame I don't know what is.
I didn't hate RE6 until I found people willing to sacrifice the old series for its absurdity. It truly drives me mad.
RE7 is an FPS.

If you can't see that playing the second half of the game in particular then you have bigger problems to worry about.
Well, you shoot, in first person, I guess. I agree the game has a tonal shift from the ship onwards (To its detriment, in my opinion) but it's still more focused on survival than shooting things.
Don't know what blueprints you have see but RE7's is most definitely not literally RE1.
The return to a labyrinthine house was not unintentional.
Well this is stupid. I guess nazi comparisons ain't too far behind huh? And all because you like one game over the other.
I was talking about the tone of their rhetoric, obviously.

BadWolf

Well, you shoot, in first person, I guess. I agree the game has a tonal shift from the ship onwards (To its detriment, in my opinion) but it's still more focused on survival than shooting things.

The game is very much a full on FPS in a horror setting.

The return to a labyrinthine house was not unintentional.

Right, and there were people saying Revelations 1 was a return to the classic formula because of a couple of locked doors and keys.

Guess all you gotta do to do be literally classic RE is stick a mansion in at the start of the game.

Ahasverus

The game is very much a full on FPS in a horror setting.

Guess all you gotta to do be literally classic RE is stick a mansion in the game.
So the old games are third person shooters in a horror setting? I mean, you're not wrong, but I feel like there's some intangible stuff going inside that doesn't let me agree.
Right, and there were people saying Revelations 1 was a return to the classic formula because of a couple of locked doors and keys.
That's being disingenuous.

jmdajr

RE6 posined the well? Hello!

RE6 HD barebones port sold 1.1 fucking million. Stop with this narrative that RE 6 was hated and killed the series while RE7 has brought it back. Only for critics, maybe.

I liked Karating my whole way in the Wesker chapter. Just punch and kick the living fuck out of everything.

RE6 fans are inches away from Trump supporters in their rhetoric in how they treat the traditional series fans.

It's actually the old-school fans who keep pissing in the pond. Most people who like the action focused series have no real problem with the horror games, and probably even like them as much as they do action. But it's the old guard who keeps blabbering about the generic action and dudebro shooter stuff the series has evolved to. The games still have a very unique identity and mechanics, much like Resident Evil 1 was different from Alone in the Dark despite clear similarities.

I've found that most people who decry RE6 haven't even learnt to play it. Not saying it's a perfect game, far from it, but most of the criticism betrays the fact that people don't even know how to play it properly, as in, haven't given even a chance. No different from people pissing on the earlier games and crying about tank controls.

And I get why people want new action games. RE6 had fantastic action mechanics that would greatly benefit from having better level design to take advantage of that in the main game. While the original games' template was already perfected.

Perhaps the game has less to do with the genre or quality and more to do with Capcom's marketing approach? RE5 and RE6 were advertised as massive mega blockbuster hits more so than any of the other titles in the series. RE7 was advertised like some indie revival sleeper hit. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed their less is more approach and releasing it so soon after its announcement. However, I think it still could be been marketed better.

Speaking of preferences for me, RE4 is one of my favorite games of all time. I have replayed it tons of times. It was my introduction to the series and it blew me away. After playing RE4, I delved into RE0, REmake and 2, all of which I loved. Then came RE5. RE5 to me was a disappointment. I got way too hyped for the title and there were many decisions that let me down. It's a fun, well-made game but it lacked many of the elements that I play Resident Evil for. I really disliked the mission structure and that a lot of them just straight ripped RE4 scenarios with a fresh coat of paint. It's a great game but I wish Capcom had changed RE5 to a Dino Crisis revival like they did with an RE4 prototype and DMC. I actually have a higher opinion of 6 than I do of 5. 6 was a lot of fun as well and I liked the different storyline aspects. Leons was my favorite campaign but Jake's was pretty fun too. I dont think I ever finished Ada's campaign. However, they are about on par. Here's a ranking of RE titles, I've played so far:

RE4
RE2
REmake
RE6
RE5
RE0
RE: Revelations and Chronicles

RootCause

Perhaps the game has less to do with the genre or quality and more to do with Capcom's marketing approach? RE5 and RE6 were advertised as massive mega blockbuster hits more so than any of the other titles in the series. RE7 was advertised like some indie revival sleeper hit. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed their less is more approach and releasing it so soon after its announcement.
I said this already. But the demo didn't help. My friend didn't even bother with the game because of it. Had to lend him the game, wich he ended up loving.

A series whose spirit is to survive bio weapons shouldn't have mechanics, as "fantastic" as they might be, where you can sucker punch a zombie in the face.

Why not?
If you were trying to survive a zombie outbreak you'd certainly be doing more that these pure horror games allow.

Hell you'd see some Dead Rising stuff as well.

Such a strawman post. RE6 isn't a bad game by any metric, period. It also is the most refined action-oriented RE game.

Your personal opinion is, and always will be, your own opinion. But to say people who enjoyed it are somehow against other RE games? Or that RE6 "poisoned" the well or is somehow responsible for the bad reception of other titles? And to say that RE6 only sold well due to the reception off other games in the series? That's just delusional. You don't have to be salty about the success of a game your didn't like.

hey, maybe a hot take here, but maybe 7's problem is it coming out after pretty much every other Resi got re-released at a budget price in the months before hand

people won't be thirsty if you're going to give them loads to drink, even if 7 was a very different flavour

This is how probably
most old RE 1,2,3 (some 4&5 and most game journalist) played RE6 and gave it a review.

Play using lot's of cover and "Scared mode" shooting mechanics.
They hardly dash in the game. They hate the pacing of the game due to how slow they walk around and complain that enemies
didn't offer them good hit reactions due to simply shooting them from far away distances.
They never bother with equipping combat skills, that level up your meele, stamina, ect.
They will also turn off the option for humans to invade their worlds as creatures.
They also don't bother adjusting the camera since they hardly dash or use heavy action meele attacks and skills.

Non experienced RE6 players normally play on normal (fact: Normal=very easy ) beat the game -
replay the game on hard (very hard or hard=which is normal) with infinite ammo
(this time they allow players to invade their world) and simply spray bullets on anything on their path
possibly beat the game again and feel empty and unsatisfied in the end...
go to metacritic and review the game and give it a zero.

Those that get how RE6 works and plays....

...Re6 is a truly, truly awesome experience if you play no hope mode fresh run
(aka no infinite bullets or superior weapons and very hard diffculty) from start,
and enable humans to invade your world (a.k.a smarter trickier A.i)
you will be forced to move,slide, and run for your life as you discover the glorious combat system
and be pushed to you limits all while begging enemies drop some bullets.
It's truly a horrifying experience and awesome, once your done with the game
you will feel accomplished and most of us go and help others
in normal/hard campaigns and can pretty much do all the work for them.
You will be able to get the best scores in mercs,perform best vs players ect.
You will discover all the coup de grace moves, master and experience all the
hit reactions and learn to cancel and quick shot your way to victory as you counter and
humiliate what once scared you.We will play the game and invade your world and
eat you as a zombie over and over regardless if you have infinite ammo or not.

I love Re6 - brb gonna go play it now.

dlauv

This isn't the interview I was thinking of, but Hirabayashi is still pushing the horror angle, lol.

Japan is pretty big on camp, and camp works best when it's played straight. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that Capcom enjoys a good wheeze as much as anyone.

Japan has a penchant for camp, but not all camp is self-aware. Take Buffy, for example: fans love the series' "camp," but Joss Whedon doesn't understand that praise and hates it when fans call it "camp." Japanese comedy regularly explains jokes if there are any, and every previous Resi game has been straight-faced attempts at horror and storytelling on the Japan side. Before RE7 was released, the director, in interview, was coming to terms with what Westerners call "cheese," because he didn't (and still kind of doesn't) understand it. But interpretations will always vary, I suppose. I can't claim to have the definitive hot take.

Edit: Re-reading that interview, I'm beginning to think RE7 wasn't self-aware either.

RootCause

This is how probably
most old RE 1,2,3 (some 4&5 and most game journalist) played RE6 and gave it a review.

They hardly dash in the game. They hate the pacing of the game due to how slow they walk around and complain that enemies
didn't offer them good hit reactions due to simply shooting them from far away distances.
They never bother with equipping combat skills, that level up your meele, stamina, ect.
They will also turn off the option for humans to invade their worlds as creatures.
They also don't bother adjusting the camera since they hardly dash or use heavy action meele attacks and skills.

Non experienced RE6 players normally play on normal (fact: Normal=very easy ) beat the game -
replay the game on hard (very hard or hard=which is normal) with infinite ammo
(this time they allow players to invade their world) and simply spray bullets on anything on their path
possibly beat the game again and feel empty and unsatisfied in the end...
go to metacritic and review the game and give it a zero.

Those that get how RE6 works and plays....

...Re6 is a truly, truly awesome experience if you play no hope mode fresh run
(aka no infinite bullets or superior weapons and very hard diffculty) from start,
and enable humans to invade your world (a.k.a smarter trickier A.i)
you will be forced to move,slide, and run for your life as you discover the glorious combat system
and be pushed to you limits all while begging enemies drop some bullets.
It's truly a horrifying experience and awesome, once your done with the game
you will feel accomplished and most of us go and help others
in normal/hard campaigns and can pretty much do all the work for them.
You will be able to get the best scores in mercs,perform best vs players ect.
You will discover all the coup de grace moves, master and experience all the
hit reactions and learn to cancel and quick shot your way to victory as you counter and
humiliate what once scared you.We will play the game and invade your world and
eat you as a zombie over and over regardless if you have infinite ammo or not.

I love Re6 - brb gonna go play it now.
This post is filled with too many assumptions. It's okay for some people to have different opinions. It's not the end of the world, I'm sure there are people that didn't like games I like.

Neiteio

RE6 is seriously so good when you master its combat and mobility mechanics and learn how to deploy them against the game's massive bestiary of ever-transforming monsters.

I'm talking situational techniques like sliding under horizontal attacks and dive-rolling sideways past vertical attacks, leaping backwards from an enemy's lunging grab while returning fire, sliding past them to drop mines you detonate once you roll back to your feet or spinning around mid-slide to shoot from below, or stunning enemies for melee with quick-shots, breaking enemy ranks with slide-kicks and shoulder-checks and running jump-kicks, or outright obliterating them with perfectly timed high-risk/high-reward counters, all of which look and feel amazing.

The monsters transform based on the way you attack them, itself adding a layer of strategy, and each enemy has multiple mutations for each limb, head, upper torso and lower torso, and they stack. Each mutation has its own unique way of dealing with it, and the escalation of so many enemy types and so many permutations swarming you requires that you fully utilize your moveset with skill for the most efficient and stylish results.

It's multiplicative gameplay in that respect, and frankly more Platinum in its tightly-controlling over-the-top action than Platinum's very own Vanquish.

I love all forms of RE, and feel they're all valid. I'd like to see them all continue, with RE6's gameplay perhaps living on in Revelations 3.

How I played RE6:

I once got hit by something and fell backwards and slid down a mountain for two minutes without being able to move and then turned the game off.

This is how probably

Don't be silly, nobody used the cover mechanic, it was fucking terrible.

Really not sure what they were thinking when they put that abortion of a cover mechanic in the game.

Top Bottom