• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Urban Champion Arcade confirmed for Nintendo Switch (Also Excitebike & Wrecking Crew)

Only Nintendo could release shit like Urban Champion so many f**king times and 'get away with it' lol.

As in there must be people in the world that still pay money for it, or they wouldn't bother.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Urban fuckin Champion is finally here. The killer app!

Is it fair to say it's the shittiest game Nintendo's ever made? Like it's legit shit.

Isn't that what would be happening anyways with VC?

It is, yeah. Dunno why people expect otherwise. Sure they gave you a what, 20% discount on Wii U for re-buying your games? But still.

Ein Bear

Cant wait for NES Urban Champion to be the only Virtual Console game when they finally get round to doing those.

Amalthea

Banned
Somebody should create a crowdfunding project to place a huge billboard across the street of the Nintendo HQ that reads: Nobody likes Urban Champion.

I don't think VC as such is happening on Switch. They're just gonna sell the minis and have a subscription service that comes with VC stuff on Switch.

They've already managed to sucker people (like me) into buying some of this stuff 3 times over digitally (not even counting the physical copies I own) and it's possible they think going for an obvious 4th might be pushing it.

I hope I'm wrong, I want VC on Switch, like an even better version of the glorious Wii one, but I'm really having my doubts we get more than whatever that subscription thing is gonna be.

I hope I'm wrong, I want VC on Switch, like an even better version of the glorious Wii one, but I'm really having my doubts we get more than whatever that subscription thing is gonna be.

Like the reason why I doubt they wouldn't do a Virtual Console is because it literally serves as an extra revenue to literally every other thing they're doing for retro sales.

Like they already have all the rights to put in the third party games they manages to get on both minis, getting them onto the Switch at a relatively low expense just adds to that margin.

sugarless

I said to myself that if they do VC on Switch they'd better make it an archive selection and not go back to the usual dripfeed of titles starting with NES dreck like Urban Champion. It's not VC but, sigh, here we are again...

This is all one big roundabout way of getting out of giving people discounts (it'd never be free, Nintendo) on VC titles they already bought before on Wii, Wii U or 3ds , isn't it?

oti

Banned
Are they secretly replacing this to Virtual Console? So no more Virtual Console confirmed?
The Virtual Console is just a label. But these Arcade games are oddities. They're being developed by Hamster. NERD is responsible for Nintendo's in-house emulation. So, we'll see.

RedToad64

Testing the water for the 2.5D Urban Champion reboot by Eighting.
Well, you joke but remember Nintendo actually did this...
Qp8y1mR.jpg

This is all one big roundabout way of getting out of giving people discounts (it'd never be free, Nintendo) on VC titles they already bought before on Wii, Wii U or 3ds , isn't it?

No. This is a partnership with Hamster to release Nintendo's arcade games on a home system for the first time. That's it. Whether or not a version of Virtual Console is a thing on Switch in the future has no relation to this.

Are Hamster stopping their Neo Geo series to release the Nintendo Arcade series instead? Cos no Neo Geo game this week.

Quite sure Art of Fighting is due out this Thursday.

They haven't released an October line-up yet but that should happen soon. All signs point to them continuing with Neo Geo titles and adding these Nintendo Arcade classics into the mix.

So long as I get a Baseball Stars game before the World Series I'll be happy.

Vandole

Not sure if it is true, but I have read that Urban Champion is bizarrely popular in Japan for some reason. That's probably why Nintendo keeps coming back to it.

Fiendcode

Quite sure Art of Fighting is due out this Thursday.

They haven't released an October line-up yet but that should happen soon. All signs point to them continuing with Neo Geo titles and adding these Nintendo Arcade classics into the mix.

So long as I get a Baseball Stars game before the World Series I'll be happy.
It's already been confirmed the regular Arcade Archives and ACA Neo Geo lines are being handled by different developers too. NIS did Arcade Archives PS4 so my guess is they're doing these too. Gotch Technology does ACA Neo Geo, I don't believe Hamster really has inhouse development.

Ok which one of you clowns keeps buying like 100,000 copies of this game every time it's released, fooling Nintendo into thinking that people actually want this shit?

This whole VS Arcade thing is just a Virtual Console Wolf dressed in sheeps clothing. Another way to get you to buy a slightly different version of games you've already bought 17 times.

AHAHAHAHAHAHhah I called it. I've been making so many Urban Champion jokes because I just had a feeling they were going to try dropping that bag of turds on our doorstep again. Never change Nintendo. Never change.

I have a hard time believing that anybody who buys this game plays it more than one time. I think people just buy it because it feels like a digital antique - some sort of collectible. People like seeing it on their home screen because it makes them feel retro and cool that they know about it. Everyone knows Mario, Samus, and Zelda, but few know Urban Champion, the extremely cool underground game only really serious enthusiasts own and respect. Oh, what's that? It's Urban Champion. Don't tell me you've never heard of Urban Champion...

Urban Champion is not a game. It's a digital decoration.

Fiendcode

So many Vs games. I hope we see more of Nintendo's discrete arcade games and a deal can be worked out with Ikegami for the older stuff.

Also I want the other publishers AA releases to come over too (Bubble Bobble, Gradius, etc).

Lijik

Nintendos obsession with rereleasing Urban Champion on every modern platform they have is my personal favorite goof

Gleethor

Are they secretly replacing this to Virtual Console? So no more Virtual Console confirmed?
Nah. It's just a way to release some of these games without having to offer upgrades to the folks who bought the nes versions on Wii U and 3DS already, since these are the suuuuuper special arcade versions.

If you already own the NES versions, wait for those instead of paying full price for these.

Top Bottom