• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US PSN Flash Sale 1/20 incoming

Ogawa-san

What kind of places can I buy a US PSN top-up card from in the UK if not an import site like that? Something I'm missing?
Assuming you have an international credit card, buy them on Amazon. You'll need to make a new account using a real US address, but you won't pay extras for PSN codes.

LakeEarth

Picked up Android Cactus. The gifs of that game sold me a long time ago, and the price was right.

Was close to pulling the trigger on Dark Cloud 2, but I still have to put time into Wild Arms 3.

breakfuss

Is that cactus android game really worth it? lol I know it's just $5 but I mean, will I actually play it??? I've been trying to cut back on just picking up shit for the sake of it.

Uh guys....Risk Of Rain is amazing. Why didn't anyone tell me?

Yes, it is! I love that game!

reson8or

I'm blown away at how terrible Korra is. It's kinda worth the $5 because fighting regular enemies is fun, but jeez. Any time there's a robot or final boss on screen, it's atrocious.

Edit: Though now I want to watch Korra lol.

Korra is an amazing show and definitely deserved a better game.

How is psychonauts on the PS4? I still haven't played this game

It's alright. I first played it a few years ago when they ported it to Mac and Linux, uprezzed all the textures, and tweaked the last level, so comparing that, which almost is like a remake, to the PS4 version is like comparing a PS1 game to a PS2 game.

There's framerate drops from time to time, nothing incredibly terrible, it catches up in a few moments, but the one thing that's most noticeable is that the PS2 version (that this is a slightly uprezzed port of) has some major lighting issues. In game engine cutscenes have reflections on Raz's face that should make it brighter, but end up looking like incredibly bright shiny squares. That's the only problem that I find to be terribly egregious, as it looks bad, and clearly isn't the intent. It's not a fault with the PS4 version I believe, but rather of the original PS2 version that this is emulating.

It's also widescreen, on a version that wasn't intended to be widescreen, so the usual wider camera quirks pop up (characters just appearing in the middle of the frame, where previously that area of the frame was cropped out), and pre-rendered cutscenes are stretched to 16:9 rather than native 4:3 (this is true of the PC version as well)

As for the gameplay... it definitely hasn't aged super well, something I touched on in this thread that got no love the other day. It's not terrible... just very quirky, and often times a little frustrating. The writing is the saving grace of the game, and if you haven't played Psychonauts, you're in for a treat.

It's alright. I first played it a few years ago when they ported it to Mac and Linux, uprezzed all the textures, and tweaked the last level, so comparing that, which almost is like a remake, to the PS4 version is like comparing a PS1 game to a PS2 game.

There's framerate drops from time to time, nothing incredibly terrible, it catches up in a few moments, but the one thing that's most noticeable is that the PS2 version (that this is a slightly uprezzed port of) has some major lighting issues. In game engine cutscenes have reflections on Raz's face that should make it brighter, but end up looking like incredibly bright shiny squares. That's the only problem that I find to be terribly egregious, as it looks bad, and clearly isn't the intent. It's not a fault with the PS4 version I believe, but rather of the original PS2 version that this is emulating.

It's also widescreen, on a version that wasn't intended to be widescreen, so the usual wider camera quirks pop up (characters just appearing in the middle of the frame, where previously that area of the frame was cropped out), and pre-rendered cutscenes are stretched to 16:9 rather than native 4:3 (this is true of the PC version as well)

As for the gameplay... it definitely hasn't aged super well, something I touched on in this thread that got no love the other day. It's not terrible... just very quirky, and often times a little frustrating. The writing is the saving grace of the game, and if you haven't played Psychonauts, you're in for a treat.

Thanks

nikos

Ugh, looks like it's over and I planned on making my purchases tonight. Don't know why I waited until last minute.

I did grab Logers in a Dangerous Spacetime though.

Cramoss

81o6Ult.gif

Top Bottom