• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Users with a Switch Pro controller, can we try a quick test?

HyperHip

My switch pro controller is like that OP. Sliding from left to right would give me up inputs making puyo puyo and SNK fighters a pain to play. My new Pro should be here soon so here's hoping that it's just a faulty batch, but honestly it feels like it was just designed that way.

me0wish

Just tested it out.. yeeaah.. first the left joycon connection issues and now this, I've never been this frustrated with a Nintendo system. I can't even sell the system because I don't want to lose my progress.

Edit: Just tested a couple of my Wii U pro, and they have the same issue (although less severe) while my xboxone did not, I'd say its definitely a design choice.

Edit 2: Just to clarify, it happens when I slide my thumb, not when I press.

-shadow-

If I press left and right separately with different fingers it's fine. Switching from left to right with my thumb it does have extra inputs, mostly on up. So far I haven't noticed this in game, though I guess this might result eventually in some problems with some games.

I'll wait and see until Puyo Puyo comes out, if it's still overly sensitive I'll return it for another one and see with that one.

I definitely have this issue. It's popped up when I'm trying to switch weapons in Zelda. The test recreated it. It's fun having a busted left Joycon and busted Pro Controller.

I'll wait and see until Puyo Puyo comes out, if it's still overly sensitive I'll return it for another one and see with that one.

You can download the demo from the Japanese eShop if you register a Japanese account. Just select the Japanese account when you enter the shop and it'll display Japanese games instead!

Thanks everyone who is testing this, keep them coming!

To the above user (shadow) , it does affect Puyo Puyo. I constantly hard drop on Tetris when I want to move left and right. I never had this problem on Tetris Party Wii, Tetris DS or Tetris Axis.

Clefargle

I'm almost sure it's not the result of faulty controllers, just questionable design.
Hopefully the inevitable Joycon with a d-pad mimicks the 3DS d-pad as its buttons do opposed to the Pro Controller.

What makes you so sure? Genuinely curious to why you think this is a design flaw and not a bad manufacturing process or faulty batch of controllers or components?

Burai

shitonmychest57
Yeah I just tried the Wii U pro and I can certainly rapidly hit any direction without it also registering other direction. There's something faulty with the Switch Dpad. It's too sensitive or maybe it's popping upwards too much I don't know.

It doesn't help the argument when some people are saying they have the same problem on zelda wii u. Perhaps the zelda problem and the controller problem are unrelated?

Edit: Yepp I see what you mean about holding a side down then moving it even slightly. This is just silly, it's basically like a analog stick then, but worse.

I'm wondering if it's like this by design. Because you can hold down multiple, opposing directions at once on the Joycon L, perhaps they've made it so that you could hold down the whole d-pad to register up, down, left and right at the same time. It's a janky solution but it's "consistent".

Hori's wired pro controller works like this as the d-pad is literally a removable disc that sits on top of 4 individual buttons.

-shadow-

You can download the demo from the Japanese eShop if you register a Japanese account. Just select the Japanese account when you enter the shop and it'll display Japanese games instead!

I know, I'll just wait for the retail release though. Won't be much of a problem to wait a little longer :)

To the above user (shadow) , it does affect Puyo Puyo. I constantly hard drop on Tetris when I want to move left and right. I never had this problem on Tetris Party Wii, Tetris DS or Tetris Axis.
That's pretty bad if it happens constantly. Would it be possible opening the controller and see what causes the extra input? Maybe the d-pad isn't raised enough or something?

I'm wondering if it's like this by design. Because you can hold down multiple, opposing directions at once on the Joycon L, perhaps they've made it so that you could hold down the whole d-pad to register up, down, left and right at the same time. It's a janky solution but it's "consistent".

Hori's wired pro controller works like this as the d-pad is literally a removable disc that sits on top of 4 individual buttons.

This is the reason why we can't really have a joycon L with a Dpad like people are asking for, because it has to be consistent with joycon R.

The pro controller however has no reason to be consistent with that. In fact that's the whole point of it really!

I know, I'll just wait for the retail release though. Won't be much of a problem to wait a little longer :)

That's pretty bad if it happens constantly. Would it be possible opening the controller and see what causes the extra input? Maybe the d-pad isn't raised enough or something?

I just returned it and got my money back and am awaiting more impressions before I decide whether to try again or not so maybe someone else will try that for you.

Somnid

Mine does it when I slide or press at roughly the same time, the middle portion of the d-pad depresses and usually registers an up. Although you can just as easy say this is a software issue if this is how the controller works.

Lucario

Yes, I have this issue - it constantly presses up instead of left or right. Lost a lot of Puyo Puyo Tetris games because of this.

Calling Nintendo tonight to get it replaced.

Skyzard

Banned
So you guys are happy to rapidly change directions and it never misinputs? That's gotta be a controller fault then... How can the Dpads differ so much though?

Are some peoples' d-pad much stiffer than others?

I tried it out at an event and it was like a brick. Read other complaints online and in reviews but some people say they don't notice it. If it was like the one I tested, you'd definitely notice.

I think there might be some considerable manufacturing variance. Stiff d-pad might make the problem less obvious and they'd be less likely to slide along the d-pad depressing it, but instead click, release, and move to the other side.

Thing is, the stiff d-pad isn't great to have either. And over time, might start showing the same problem as it loosens up.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Yes, I have this issue - it constantly presses up instead of left or right. Lost a lot of Puyo Puyo Tetris games because of this.

Calling Nintendo tonight to get it replaced.

Curious how it goes. I currently only have like 30 minutes on my phone plan so I cant call em.

Does anybody know if you can put a request in online?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I definitely have this issue. It's popped up when I'm trying to switch weapons in Zelda. The test recreated it. It's fun having a busted left Joycon and busted Pro Controller.

Call Nintendo and get a repair order. They use next day air. My joycon was repaired and sent back in 3 days.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Whoa. Rapidly pressing right/left and up/down with one thumb did produce a great number of unintended opposite-axis inputs.

I've played several hours of Blaster Master Zero and Shovel Knight with the Pro Controller's D-pad and never noticed anything amiss... but I can see how this would be an issue in something like Puyo Puyo Tetris.

Dang. My favorite traditional controller ever has a flaw. (Other than the lack of analog triggers, but that's another story.)

Anyone have a Wii U Pro Controller as well and feel like the Switch controller is any worse? I play Zelda on Wii U with one and I have that issue quite a bit. If it's the same on the Switch controller...meh, I'll deal with it. Still pretty crappy though.

thatJohann

All these threads about Pro's D-Pad make me very scared of getting a Pro controller. I mean I want the best option to play 2D fighters but if the d-pad sucks, then might as well use the analog stick on joycon.

N.Grim

The real test is to put your thumb on right/left direction and move it up/down or viceversa and see if it recognizes other directions, mine always does, I'm waiting a bit for Nintendo to find a fix

Instro

There's definitely some problem with the d-pad, it's just hard to tell if it is a design flaw or just affecting some. I was having it with the controller I had but I took it for an exchange yesterday due to this and a battery issue. I'll test it out tonight to see if I get any input issues.

For a $70 controller the quality and feature set is really not quite what it should be.

t hicks

Banned
The real test is to put your thumb on right/left direction and move it up/down or viceversa and see if it recognizes other directions, mine always does, I'm waiting a bit for Nintendo to find a fix

Yeah mine does this too :/ Tbh I haven't noticed it while playing a game but it's definitely an issue, if it starts becoming noticeable I might just send it back (if it's not just a design flaw, I have no idea)

dcx4610

I played all through Blaster Master and Shovel Knight with the dpad and never had any problems. One of the best dpads I've ever used.

There's definitely some problem with the d-pad, it's just hard to tell if it is a design flaw or just affecting some. I was having it with the controller I had but I took it for an exchange yesterday due to this and a battery issue. I'll test it out tonight to see if I get any input issues.

For a $70 controller the quality and feature set is really not quite what it should be.

What was the battery issue?

It's a shame because the controller feels so good and everything else about it is great. Let's see if you notice a difference in the new one.

If I press left and right separately with different fingers it's fine. Switching from left to right with my thumb it does have extra inputs, mostly on up. So far I haven't noticed this in game, though I guess this might result eventually in some problems with some games.

For us with issues, just hitting left and right with separate fingers causes it to pass through Up or Down :(

Yepp a slight change in direction does this.

This is the same as me as noted on the 1st page and i cannot see how anyone in their right mind would design a d-pad like that, it has to be a fault.

Blarg

Neo Member
Mine has this issue. Ups and downs show up in the calibration tool, and while playing Zelda I occasionally get the wrong menu when trying to change weapons. Shovel Knight is basically unplayable with the Pro dpad; I've started just using the joycons' split dpad because there is no chance of a misinput.

My Pro controller definitely has these issues although it hasn't caused me problems in Zelda yet.

But the D-Pad felt really stiff and uncomfortable playing Shovel Knight and I think there were a couple of weird inputs. When I tried the calibration test it showed plenty of up and downs and I can EASILY rock up and down inputs at will while holding it all the way left or right.

I was honestly wondering why everyone liked the D-pad so much because it seemed like a stiff mess for me.

If you guys that haven't felt any problems can try that rocking test (hold one direction and rock it back and forth in perpendicular directions to see if you get inputs, i.e. hold all the way left and see if you can get ups and downs without lifting your thumb), that would be great.

Umm well I get an 'up' input when clicking left and right very fast. I haven't noticed a problem while playing normally though.
Overall the d-pad sucks though. Step down from Wii U Pro controller which is the GOAT (in general as a controller minus the gyro).

boxter432

not at home to test, but I definitely get Up inputs all the time in Zelda. I try to change weapons/bows (right) and it goes into the Rune menu (up) quite often.

InterMusketeer

Gold Member
I have the same issue and the input test proves it. Pressing left or right will sometimes activate up or down. I also think it's a design flaw, and not a defect.

Listonosh

I don't have the same issue as you, but I did have a d-pad issue that caused me to get mine replaced. Basically, whenever I would press left on the d-pad and let up slightly WITHOUT the button clicking, signifying it was de-pressed, it would register it as not being pressed. That meant when I was playing shovel knight for example and would walk left, if I didn't hold the d-pad down with full force, he'd just stop periodically. It was slight but annoying enough for me to want to get a replacement.

The D-pad is rather soft. I prefer mine a bit on the clicky side. Accidental diagonal inputs made DK Country Returns on Wii a pain at times.

Vena

I tested a bunch of controllers at our gameroom at uni. Of the four controllers, only one has the erroneous up input. The other three don't seem to be able to reproduce this on rapid inputs.

The one that does erroneous inputs does feel softer on the pad also.

ymgve

Happens here. But I notice it's because I often hit the d-pad at a slight angle from below, though a better design would account for this.

Skyzard

Banned
I tested a bunch of controllers at our gameroom at uni. Of the four controllers, only one has the erroneous up input. The other three don't seem to be able to reproduce this on rapid inputs.

The one that does erroneous inputs does feel softer on the pad also.

This makes sense with what I was suggesting earlier. As the d-pad becomes less stiff with time, people might start to notice it more.

Some d-pads are significantly stiffer than others with the pro controller. I hope Nintendo fix this, it sounds like a design issue being obfuscated by manufacture variance in the stiffness.

It is a shame, because other than that and the lack of analogue triggers, it has the best design for handheld comfort out of all the controllers and would be an excellant controller.

I'd recommend holding off if you don't need until Nintendo address this.

Lutherian

I have an issue with my Pro Controller dPad. Sometimes, in BotW for example, when I want to choose a weapon (left dPad), it shows the runes menu (witch opens with up dPad).

It annoying but does not occurs very often. But still annoying for a 70€ controller.

eXistor

Mine's all over the place. I haven't actually had any troubles with BotW and Blaster Master Zero, but I hope it's not gonna be an issue later on with different games.

I get wrong inputs on occasion when pressing right or up, but not so much with left or down, although I can certainly do so on purpose. It's because of how I press those directions on the dpad. When pressing Right I tend to push upwards a bit when I do it instead of directly straight down, so it will sometimes register as Up, especially when I'm frantically reaching for the button like in Zelda after a weapon breaks. Similarly, when pushing Up I tend to shift slightly left, so it will sometimes register as Left.

The dpad is too sensitive to these shifts in pressure which is causing erroneous inputs. I'm guessing the people who aren't having issues are either being more deliberate with their button presses or place their thumb in such a way that they're naturally pressing directly downwards.

Raitaro

I'll test this later today when I have more time but after having left joy-con issues I wouldn't be surprised if my pro controller has this issue as well, OP.

That said, I've not experienced any input problems so far while playing BOTW (which admittedly doesn't make use of the d-pad that much).

Top Bottom