• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Users with a Switch Pro controller, can we try a quick test?

MTC100

Banned
It's a shame, that Nintendo, of all developers, the inventor of the D-Pad, isn't delivering the best there possibly is...

However I don't think it will be as bad as the Dual Shock 3 of the PS3, I played Persona 5 and the fitghting minigame that you play in your room where you have to input D-Pad commands quickly was just horrible and almost impossible.

I'm still waiting for my Pro Controller to arrive, as it's sold out everywhere, I keep my fingers crossed, but on the other hand I don't expect to play a lot with the DPad anyway...

LordZagry

Neo Member
I had the same input problem on mine (right and left that often do up) ; I sent it back to Nintendo and they gave me a now one. On this new controller I still have issues with the left, but the right is fine....

Frostburn

I have an issue with my Pro Controller dPad. Sometimes, in BotW for example, when I want to choose a weapon (left dPad), it shows the runes menu (witch opens with up dPad).

It annoying but does not occurs very often. But still annoying for a 70€ controller.

I have this same exact issue with mine when going for a weapon or shield (Right or left on d-pay) and instead it hits up.

0racle

Hey guys, is there a way to check the battery life on the controller?

I got an indicator that it was low, how do I monitor it? I cant figure it out. I can only see system battery life.

Hey guys, is there a way to check the battery life on the controller?

I got an indicator that it was low, how do I monitor it? I cant figure it out. I can only see system battery life.

On the home menu, check the controllers option. You'll see all connected controllers and their current battery life.

If it's widespread, it's a problem, but I haven't had the issue myself.

Contact Nintendo, get it replaced. If the replacement does it too, then maybe you have a real issue on your hands.

Just bought a Pro Controller last night and tested this out. Got 10% off via B-day coupon with Best Buy!

The issue described in OP is indeed present for me, but won't really be a cause of concern for me personally. I had to use both thumbs on the pad to get it to register improper inputs. During normal use I'll barely use the D-Pad at all, let alone that quickly.

ghibli99

No issues here. As an aside, it's surprising how little I use the d-pad for character control anymore, even for retro games.

They need to just come out with a Joycon with proper dpad ASAP. I guess it's fine for now since there's no 2D platformers on the thing... yet

You definitely just saved me the $80 purchase though, thanks op

neilyadig

I'm having the same experience as the OP. It also feels like a design issue to me and not a faulty batch. I have a hard time understanding those who are not experiencing this issue.

The D-pad very very easily misinputs up/down when quickly moving left/right, making Tetris unplayable with the D-pad for me.

Would absolutely LOVE for this to be an issue with my controller but I really think its just the design of the D-pad...

Jams775

I have the issue big time. Just bought the controller last week too.

Anyone who says they don't have the problem, can you hold the down arrow and wiggle the d-pad a little and see if it registers left and right?

I think maybe the d-pad is a little too close to the contacts and that's why it's registering false inputs. It really seems like a design flaw and not faulty.

So I'm stood in Toys R Us now and I've just tested two more Japanese pro controllers and they have the issue. I'm starting to feel that either...
1) The Japanese controllers have the issue much more regularly.
Or...
2) The issue is with all controllers and us who are finding the issue are just much more sensative to it.

I'd like to see someone who ISNT having the issue put their finger on the right d-pad and rock it up and down and 100% confirm up or down doesn't register. Thanks in advance is someone tests this for me.

Nerrel

I finally tried connecting it to my PC, and after playing some 2D games the D-pad is much worse than I thought. While holding any direction the pad can easily rock and register the adjacent ones. Wall jumping in Super Metroid was still doable, but it was more finnicky than any other D-pad I've used since Samus would aim up and break her flips occasionally. Huge fucking disappointment, partly because this was a $70 controller people were buying for a D-pad, but also because it's just a really great controller overall otherwise and a great D-pad would have sealed it as my favorite controller ever.

I'm still not sure how to turn the controller off when connected via bluetooth. Do you have to manually remove it in the Windows bluetooth menu? Or is there a more temporary way to disconnect it?

I'm still not sure how to turn the controller off when connected via bluetooth. Do you have to manually remove it in the Windows bluetooth menu? Or is there a more temporary way to disconnect it?

Does it not just auto disconnect/sleep after 10 mins of inactivity?

Wasp14

Mine definitely does this. I hadn't really noticed it during Zelda but it was very evident during Tetris. I had a lot of blocks not doing what I wanted them to and hard dropping instead.

atmuh

I don't have much of a problem but my wife finds it impossible to play tetris as she does the fast drop tons of times by mistake. I guess I should call Nintendo.

Mine does have this problem as well, but only when i use two hands, one on each direction.

Not really a big problem for me since i rarely use the d-pad, but I can't imagine this isn't a widespread flaw on most of these units - rather than most people will never notice.

Filter

Mine does this as well. In Tetris it will just fast drop randomly, completely screwing you.
I don't know how I'm going to play ultra street fighter when that comes out. Random up inputs will ruin the game.

Has anybody had a controller replaced, and actually been given one that works perfectly?

Felensis

Banned
Mine has this issue too. Discovered it first while often accidentally whistle for my horse in BOTW, but didn't care about it. Since I play games like Shovel Knight, Wonder Boy or Puyo Puyo Tetris I noticed it immediately and reproduceable (also in the system software's controller options). I've sent it for repair to Nintendo yesterday.

I've had this issue, and I already got it replaced once by Nintendo. Planning on calling them again soon.

So is the replacement controller having this issue too?

I still can't get to the bottom of if this is how all the controllers are or it is just the way some of us are using them. I can't understand how i have managed to try three different controllers and they all have this issue :/

So is the replacement controller having this issue too?

I still can't get to the bottom of if this is how all the controllers are or it is just the way some of us are using them. I can't understand how i have managed to try three different controllers and they all have this issue :/

At this stage I'm 100% convinced that all controllers have this issue but some people just don't care or believe it won't affect them or don't get it.

I'm quite upset that GameXplain only mentioned this issue for like 10 seconds in a 40 minute Switch discussion video. He made multiple videos about joy con issues. Would have given it the coverage we needed.

Kouriozan

I tried really hard the other day and it worked as intented, I'm sure it's something like pushing the left/right pad slightly up or down will register those inputs.
But as I said it has yet to happen to me, and I'm playing a lot of Puyo Puyo Tetris, with fast drop I would instantly notice it.

MoogleMan

I tried really hard the other day and it worked as intented, I'm sure it's something like pushing the left/right pad slightly up or down will register those inputs.
But as I said it has yet to happen to me, and I'm playing a lot of Puyo Puyo Tetris, with fast drop I would instantly notice it.

Same.

So just to be clear, if you hold DPAD right with your thumb and rock it up down you DO NOT get any up or down input registered? (As you would image it not to).

VariantX

Think im going to do a bit more research, but im likely sending mine off to get repaired. Trying to select different weapons in blaster master is a pain in the ass. I can't reproduce the issue at all on the joycons so im guessing its straight up a design flaw.

So, I played Puyo Tetris as I would naturally, and didn't encounter any issues. However, if I do fast inputs and roll my thumb, I can start to see the issue happen, although the window of movement for this happening is pretty minor. And to be fair, at that point it is more of a diagonal movement as opposed to making this happen on a strict left/right input. I'm thinking I'll just roll with it since it doesn't seem to be affecting me personally

deleted

I had a Puyo session yesterday and I had this issue on one Pro Controller during the game. Having someone loose a vs game because of this just isn't fun. At. All!

So did you guys send the controller in? Did it came back fixed?

me0wish

I had a Puyo session yesterday and I had this issue on one Pro Controller during the game. Having someone loose a vs game because of this just isn't fun. At. All!

So did you guys send the controller in? Did it came back fixed?

No one ever reported if it got fixed, this is really annoying.

I've heard a lot of complaining about the pro controller dpad but isn't this something that happens with all non segmented D-pads?

Left-right inputs done rapidly often cause other inputs on pad. It's one of the reasons stick is better. I had this problem on SF2 HD remix, sf4, sf5, and injustice 2.

When you play someone like guile, Honda, Chun, captain cold, or Batman that has a lot of back, forward inputs, if you're not careful you get up inputs.

The switch pro seems a little worse about it than some others but it happens with the ps4 pad as well.

It doesn't happen with the joycons because the buttons are more segmented.

Just in case people might think this happens to every pro pad I want to say that I'm having no issues with mine whatsoever. Hasn't happened once in 20 hours of puyo puyo.

It happens on both of my Pro Controllers when playing Puyo Tetris. Random hard drops every second game or so.
I just bought two of those 8Bitdo NES Pro Controllers so hopefully I have better luck with those

Just in case people might think this happens to every pro pad I want to say that I'm having no issues with mine whatsoever. Hasn't happened once in 20 hours of puyo puyo.

Yeah I just went into the input test, did rapid left/right, up/down, and rapid taps of a direction and no bad inputs.

I think the issue is with people sliding their thumb over the pad, because when I tried to do that with right/left it went crazy. If you actually tap the directions it works perfect. If you are sliding your thumb from left to right with even pressure it freaks out.

That's the difference between a segmented dpad and the cross pad the pro controller has. It just seems more sensitive to rocking in different directions when applying pressure and moving your thumb.

This is happening to me and it fucking sucks.

And before people start, yes - I know what to expect from a d-pad. I've been using one since 1988. And yes, I know I will probably get a replacement from Nintendo. However, I'm rolling the dice as to whether the replacement will likely have the same issue. Which is just more a hassle if it happens.

Nintendo needs to fix this shit and I don't want to hear from other making excuses for a defective $70 controller. Make a stink, people. It's the only way Nintendo will listen.

Yeah I just went into the input test, did rapid left/right, up/down, and rapid taps of a direction and no bad inputs.

I think the issue is with people sliding their thumb over the pad, because when I tried to do that with right/left it went crazy. If you actually tap the directions it works perfect. If you are sliding your thumb from left to right with even pressure it freaks out.

That's the difference between a segmented dpad and the cross pad the pro controller has. It just seems more sensitive to rocking in different directions when applying pressure and moving your thumb.
Well, yes. That's specifically what we're saying the issue is. It's not like that's improper use of a pad.

The Switch's pad is the most sensitive one I've ever seen; to the point where if I go to tap left (starting with my thumb off the pad) but am applying enough pressure up as I do so, I can get an up tap.

When I do the test where I'm conciously aware of every movement I have no issues, but during gameplay it messes up for me. It's poorly designed imo because I've never had an issue like this. It's not an issue inherent to cross pads. Nintendo has made great cross pads before

I noticed mine has this issue and you can see it first hand on a PC messing around in the game pad settings. If I press on the right side its fine but there is a really small gap between right and up-right. Also if I were to press harder on the right button it will always register up-right.

Nerrel

On other forums I've actually seen a few people report having their D-pad issues fixed and in each case they claimed that Nintendo had recognized the circuit board as being faulty. That could be the problem; the D-pad itself feels and rocks around about the same way as my Wii U controllers, so maybe its design isn't the issue. I sent my controller to Nintendo specifically asking to have the board tested, hopefully the issue is fixed or at least improved when they send it back.

I've heard a lot of complaining about the pro controller dpad but isn't this something that happens with all non segmented D-pads?

No. I've tested my Wii U Pro D-pad and found that I can rock it up and down while holding left or right in the exact same way as the Switch Pro pad and not get any diagonal input at all. I have a second Wii U Pro that does register diagonals when rocking, but only when rocking it all the way up or down. The Switch Pro registers diagonals with pretty much any rocking away from dead-straight at all. It's unbelievably annoying, and makes things like wall jumping in Super Metroid very hard since Samus ends up aiming up half the time.

Pokemaniac

Yeah, the interesting thing about this is, despite me sending my Pro Controller in 3 (!) times (should be back from the 3rd tomorrow), the repair notes have indicated that the issue was determined to be legitimate (at least the first two times).

Pokemaniac

Okay, this is getting kind of ridiculous. I've sent this controller in 3 times now (and it seems likely that I got a different controller back each time) and am still seeing issues with the D-pad.

I suppose I'll try at least one more time. I wonder if there's a way I can get them to actually test the thing before sending it back to me. From my perspective, it kinda seems like they are making the (admittedly somewhat reasonable) assumption that factory new controllers are fine, but there's actually just so many of them that are defective.

jchap

I'm sending mine in for the second time tomorrow. I requested that they test the controller they send me. A novel thought I know.

So guys, here is a video that tries to show the issue, you can (barely) see that up and down inputs are being registered when pressing left or right...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juqQVp46Qkc

This is exactly the same behaviour on all three Japanese pro controllers I have managed to test.

It would be helpful if someone who ISN'T having the issue can test the controller in the same way and confirm there are no errant inputs. Or for someone who has successfully sent a controller back to Nintendo to let us know what Nintendo said about it?

Thanks

balohna

I have this issue, but I can kind of train myself to do the right input the majority of the time. There's a certain "feel" to it.

It sucks, I'm not trying to justify it, but ultimately I guess I can live with it.

MTC100

Banned
Great... my Pro controller D-Pad is a total mess!

DBY-zffUQAAI6DQ.jpg:large

-And I only pressed left and right, not even at a high speed, this sucks big time... I think it's because the D-Pad is a bit wobbly and when pushing left it also registeres up for me... No wonder the tetrimos were falling down randomly in Puyu Puyu Tetris.

Are you sure though. Did you try it with your left thumb on left and your right thumb on right and press them back and forth as fast as you can?

MTC100

Banned
Are there even Pro Controllers that have a non-defective D-Pad, I wonder...

I am getting another Pro Controller next week, I will try that one out and see if it has the same issues, this one is horrible, you don't even have to quickly press from left to right and back and it registers up immediately, even if I push the direction cautiously.

Persona7

Banned
Rep gave me shit about my warranty expiring soon and how four replacements is unheard of. I told him I will buy a controller in a store and then return my defective one and he immediately filed another replacement.

Top Bottom