• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve has 'hl3.txt' in Dota patch w/ procedural gen, NPC recruitment, zipline, quests

SomTervo

It's intentional in my opinion. I think the whole point of putting it in there the day before the 8 year anniversary of HL2:EP2 is specifically to nod to the hardcore fans, to say that they still work on it. Particularly after everything that happened recently with the rumour mongering. I don't think it means anything more than that. Don't expect it for a few more years. Like people have said before, Valve have done similar things before to tease / troll those people that go looking. That said, this is the first time anything about HL3 as a game has been found. Previously, it's just been clues that it exists

I agree with you, actually. There's no way this wasn't intentional, especially with a txt file specifically named 'hl3'.

My post was about how there are plenty more fish in the sea, but I do think this is a sign.

Saty

It's intentional in my opinion. I think the whole point of putting it in there the day before the 8 year anniversary of HL2:EP2 is specifically to nod to the hardcore fans, to say that they still work on it.
Instead of just taking 5 minutes to write an official status update on the HL franchise in the span of 8 years? Valve continues not to act as adults when it comes to Half-Life.

I'm not hyped yet, but even I think hl3.txt is fishy about how there would be this much data just for trolling.

Hell, lights.txt also made me curious. But it also made me think that will just not be all for HL3.
For a "realistic" day/night cycle, there's a lot more settings than I would ever expect.
You can put the Time and Date, set the Day Length, set a location and its timezone.

This is quite interesting because I've never seen this before, it's almost like you had a whole planet on your hands. And that isn't the only clue to this either.
You can set the length of the synodic month, which is basically the average time from when Earth, Moon and Sun are aligned (in this order), until it happens again, in other words, when the moon has gone full circle, to put in really simple terms. (It may be stuff they could have tried for SOB.)

From what I can see, Source 2 seems to be interesting enough because I don't think we have stuff that's not already working at this point at Valve.
Does not mean anything about HL3, but it means a lot about what Valve is trying to do in-house about their games and engine. And it sure looks interesting to me.

But I'm not hyped yet, I'd really want to see footage anyway. Or a teaser. That would be enough to shake the Internet really hard (and me as well).

Skab

I honestly think this was just valves/someone at valves way of giving us a development update without having to make announcements or promises or anything.

epmode

I've heard reports that Marc Laidlaw and his team have been MIA for at least sixteen months. Food goes missing from the cafeteria every few days and the Team Fortress 2 guys have reported hearing new Combine advisor sound effects in otherwise empty areas of the building. Clearly, these text files were sneaked into Dota's file structure by a rogue cabal at Valve. Gabe should check the ventilation shafts.

Nzyme32

Instead of just taking 5 minutes to write an official status update on the HL franchise in the span of 8 years? Valve continues not to act as adults when it comes to Half-Life.

It's beyond obvious what would happen if they took that path. People would want more info, they'd find out it got delayed, changed, altered over and over again. It would result in people being extremely petulant and angry eventually suggesting something along the lines of "if they knew it was going to take so long, why did they say anything at all". They have said several times before that the reason they don't talk about it is for this kind of reasoning that happened before HL2's release.

It's better like this than the other way around, particularly for the people that live in hype culture and screw themselves by building these things up to ridiculous proportions.

KillySG10

Neo Member
We still don't know what the deal is with this, but the hl3.txt file must have got updated with that new dota update, it went from 116kb to....117kb.

Shocking i know.

Valkrai

Edit: Oops, meant for Wildstar thread.

I'm still skeptical about this being anything, mainly due to how long everyone's been waiting.

Top Bottom