• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve has 'hl3.txt' in Dota patch w/ procedural gen, NPC recruitment, zipline, quests

Truant

I remember a lot of leaks like this right before HL2 was announced. The "BELIEVE" and "DENIAL" groups were active even back then.

Luq

Hype train? I was on the hype train years ago. That shit has passed.

We have the FFVII remaster, we have Shenmue III and The Last Guardian.
Who the fuck cares about HL3 at this point.

I couldn't care less about remasters of games I already played (there, i said it) and Shenmue is not for me at all. TLG sure, I'm excited but I would take HL3 over it at ANY FKIN TIME!

Spladam

So Gabe is still trolling us then... That dude.
waXVCZJ.gif

A screenshot of the profile but no URL bar. That's not suspicious at all!

Even then, it's ridiculously simple to edit the lines to change the primary groups image and name to that of the Valve group

Tried to search for that name. There was one reference to him in one group and in another one he posted, but is now called Finn.

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/jmbsfanclub

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Hunter123#comments

Even if it's bull, it's not outlandish scenario that only few are working on it.

It's amazing how easily Valve manages to string the fans along by "accidental" leaks like this. One would have thought the fans would have caught on eventually that the game is never coming out lol

Machina

Banned
It's amazing how easily Valve manages to string the fans along by "accidental" leaks like this. One would have thought the fans would have caught on eventually that the game is never coming out lol

The latter part of your post contradicts the first. Why would Valve intentionally string people along if the game is never coming out?

People aren't sticking to Steam because they're waiting for HL3. The vast majority of the userbase doesn't even care about the game or the franchise.

EVIL

I think HL3 is going to be a much more different game than anyone will think it will be. Reading past interviews with Gabe about their thoughts on standard boxed single player games I am convinced that whatever HL3 will turn out to be, it will be a much more social experience then what we are used from a Half Life game. It might even turn out into a destiny esque game where its much more of an co-op FPS RPG than just pure single player. I think some gamers wont be happy but honestly, those are the minority and it would be stupid for valve to make a traditional Half Life game in the current market space. Dont get me wrong, it will still be pretty much a single player game for those who want to solo it, but you will have the options to experience it with friends and having a ton of post release content.

Or as gaben said it "It's single-player plus, not ‘no more single-player.'"

A few years ago threads like this would've been 50 pages by now. We're at the point where people are barely posting even to share in the suffering.

So, you're saying a vast majority of fans already gave up, and the only people still giving a fuck is a sad delusional minority?

So, I was wrong then. Most fans are not being strung along any longer. Thanks for clarifying.

SpaceWolf

Banned
hqdefault.jpg

Imagine no more waiting.
It's easy if you try
No more pointless teasing.
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Playing Half Life 3 for the first time...

Imagine an official Half Life 3 trailer.
It isn't hard to do
An end to all speculation.
And no more "Half Life 3 confirmed" jokes too
Imagine all the gamers
Living life in peace...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

362.jpg

So, you're saying a vast majority of fans already gave up, and the only people still giving a fuck is a sad delusional minority?

So, I was wrong then. Most fans are not being strung along any longer. Thanks for clarifying.

Whats more sad, someone easily excitable or someone who easily resorts to childish personal attacks on people he doesn't know?

Yes, 8 years ago. A lot changes in that time span. I can't think of the last AAA game I played where the protagonist wasn't voiced.

Corvo wasn't voiced in Dishonored, though he will be for the sequel. Can't think of anything else. Valve did consider Chell to have a voice in Portal 2, but decided against it.

Real Hero

Yes, 8 years ago. A lot changes in that time span. I can't think of the last AAA game I played where the protagonist wasn't voiced.

Well I can replay those games and it never bothered me. Giving Freeman a voice would be like giving Link one, just weird.

I don't see what has changed so much in those 8 years that make it difficult now to have a silent protagonist.

Well I can replay those games and it never bothered me. Giving Freeman a voice would be like giving Link one, just weird.

I don't see what has changed so much in those 8 years that make it difficult now to have a silent protagonist.

I just think that within the context of the series, having a protagonist that has literally zero verbal reaction to anything going on around him simply doesn't work unless there is some reason, grounded in the reality of the game's universe, that makes it believable that the main character can't talk or refuses to.

eso76

MGSV ?

Seriously though, it would feel weird nowadays, I can't imagine freeman being silent in hl3.

Nzyme32

How the hell is that GIF so seamless. It's literally like there's no cut

On-topic, it would be cool if it came to something, but if not, hey, plenny more games out there! Your loss, Valve.

It's intentional in my opinion. I think the whole point of putting it in there the day before the 8 year anniversary of HL2:EP2 is specifically to nod to the hardcore fans, to say that they still work on it. Particularly after everything that happened recently with the rumour mongering. I don't think it means anything more than that. Don't expect it for a few more years. Like people have said before, Valve have done similar things before to tease / troll those people that go looking. That said, this is the first time anything about HL3 as a game has been found. Previously, it's just been clues that it exists

Top Bottom