• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's Director of Business has left [GAF Rumor: TF2 Art Lead, SFM Head Gone, More]

Grief.exe

MP only games. If that's your thing, more power to you.

It's not the Valve I used to love.

Think about it this way.

At least they aren't releasing dumbed down versions of the games you used to love in order to cater towards the lowest common denominator and widen their audience.

Instead, Valve is doing the complete opposite. Releasing games like Dota 2 that's literally probably one of the most cerebral and deep games I have ever played.

If they pulled a Bioware or Bethesda I don't think I would be as big a fan of Valve as I am right now.

His job at Valve:

jGCZnymnsbvdk.png

Credit to superannuation, again.

Credit goes to superannuation:

Later:

I think they knew the next day was some kind of performance review day? That was going to be rough/tough?

Should add these to OP.

seriously, you have the people who have convinced themselves that valve arent the typical capitalist organisation...
Valve has never seemed to me to be a typical capitalist organization. Sure, they are a business, but I wouldn't call them typical, even if only their lack of hierarchy and fluid cell-like teams.

I honestly have no real idea though.

derFeef

Later:

I think they knew the next day was some kind of performance review day? That was going to be rough/tough?

Oh wow, this all really seems like "we don't need those people because we don't make games anymore" ? Sounds harsh I know... but it would fit.

Petrichor

Maybe they don't want to make it until they think they have the ideas to do it justice? Just a thought.

Did they not have some vague ideas as to where episode 3 was going to go when they designed the cliffhanger for episode 2? Or did they just write themselves into a corner and they haven't come up with anything to follow it? That's a pretty amateurish approach to storytelling if so.

And their clear lack of inspiration didn't stop them releasing HL2: episode 1 or LFD2.

Sothpaw

Think about it this way.

At least they are releasing dumbed down versions of the games you used to love in order to cater towards the lowest common denominator and widen their audience.

Instead, Valve is doing the complete opposite. Releasing games like Dota 2 that's literally probably one of the most cerebral and deep games I have ever played.

If they pulled a Bioware or Bethesda I don't think I would be as big a fan of Valve as I am right now.

Interesting you mentioned that. All of my highly intelligent friends play DOTA 2 or SC2 exclusively. I'm nowhere near highly intelligent so I can't comment further.

Did they not have some vague ideas as to where episode 3 was going to go when they designed the cliffhanger for episode 2? Or did they just write themselves into a corner and they haven't come up with anything to follow it? That's a pretty amateurish approach to storytelling if so.

According to series writer Laidlaw when he replied to a fan he said they know exactly what's going to happen in episode 3 and he wrote something like "it's silly nonsense to suggest we would have any trouble figuring it out". And I think he wrote this like 1-2 years ago, not ages ago.

Petrichor

According to series writer Laidlaw when he replied to a fan he said they know exactly what's going to happen in episode 3 and he wrote something like "it's silly nonsense to suggest we would have any trouble figuring it out". And I think he wrote this like 1-2 years ago, not ages ago.

I expected nothing less - which is why the postulation that they haven't release HL2: episode 3 because they're out of ideas strikes me as all the more odd.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Think about it this way.

At least they are releasing dumbed down versions of the games you used to love in order to cater towards the lowest common denominator and widen their audience.

I've watched some Dota 2, haven't gotten that beta invite yet.. but I've played some other MOBA's... and I could argue that your typo is partially true.... they are making games for a wide audience.. just not the audience I'm in.. they are trying to capture all that LoL money. More power to them, but Dota2 is the exact opposite of what I want from gaming. I know there's an audience for it.. but I'm not the type to play the same damn thing over and over and over again.. but for better or worse that's what gaming as become.

The giant addictive time sink games make money.

I did that with Counter-Strike years ago, and with Ultima Online years ago. I have people at work that I've fired because they started playing WoW, EverQuest and recently LoL and their work performance suffered to the point they weren't showing up or showing up like a warm pile of shit because they spent all night gaming.

I have no interest in games like that, I don't find them cerebral or deep, they are just made to be as addictive as possible.

Sothpaw

I've watched some Dota 2, haven't gotten that beta invite yet.. but I've played some other MOBA's... and I could argue that your typo is partially true.... they are making games for a wide audience.. just not the audience I'm in.. they are trying to capture all that LoL money. More power to them, but Dota2 is the exact opposite of what I want from gaming. I know there's an audience for it.. but I'm not the type to play the same damn thing over and over and over again.. but for better or worse that's what gaming as become.

The giant addictive time sink games make money.

I did that with Counter-Strike years ago, and with Ultima Online years ago. I have people at work that I've fired because they started playing WoW, EverQuest and recently LoL and their work performance suffered to the point they weren't showing up or showing up like a warm pile of shit because they spent all night gaming.

I have no interest in games like that, I don't find them cerebral or deep, they are just made to be as addictive as possible.

Yea you may not find DOTA cerabral or deep, but if that were the case then you really can't call any game cerebral or deep, because DOTA is about as deep as gaming gets. Maybe Dwarf Fortress has much more depth? No mainstream AAA does of that I'm certain.

Now Everquest and WoW are a different story.

x3sphere

Valve hinted at a major reworking of Source not too long ago, perhaps development on it wasn't going as well as planned. Could explain some of the programmer departures, but who knows.

sangreal

Later:

I'm sure he was saying its going to be rough because he was up at 4am and has to go to work the next day. Seems silly to read into it (using hindsight) beyond that

NervousXtian

must... resist... tag quote.

3 years is a long time with no news of an upcoming SP experience... so yeah I'm an idiot for pointing it out, right? Is that the best you can do? How about telling me as a fan of HL, expecting some kind of news about it since 2007 makes me an idiot? It's only what put Valve on the map.

Glix

I wonder if the employees themselves had any input into who stayed and who left?

I was just reading about how they vote for each others salaries and stuff, it would seem to fall right into line with that.

Maybe its just all hats all the time over there now.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Half-Life is dead. Valve just won't admit it.

Burt

How long until mainstream press picks this up and cites GAF (specifically a GAFer who 'heard from a friend") as the source?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
3 years is a long time with no news of an upcoming SP experience... so yeah I'm an idiot for pointing it out, right? Is that the best you can do? How about telling me as a fan of HL, expecting some kind of news about it since 2007 makes me an idiot? It's only what put Valve on the map.

reconsider the Portal 2 release date

NervousXtian

Yea you may not find DOTA cerabral or deep, but if that were the case then you really can't call any game cerebral or deep, because DOTA is about as deep as gaming gets. Maybe Dwarf Fortress has much more depth? No mainstream AAA does of that I'm certain.

Now Everquest and WoW are a different story.

We look for different things in games. What you find mentally fulfilling, I don't. At the core, MOBA's are very basic games. They are deep because of the team-based and competitive multi-player nature of the game.

reconsider the Portal 2 release date

Check the date I posted. It's not the release date. It's when it was announced.

Those, no game announced since then.

Who exactly is the idiot?

Pretty much.

Valve just need to work out what number is above 2! Believe!
Episodes did kill it though. It was clear at the end of two that whilst the Portal connection was cool; the series was out of ideas.

It would be cool if they opened up a Workshop community around the series though.

What makes you say this? Just because they haven't shown anything? Gabe said late last year it was still in development.

They may be unconventional but they're not stupid.

I don't believe the game ever entered development. Why are they stupid?

DaBuddaDa

I think you're being tongue in cheek, but Gabe all but confirmed it was still being developed less than a year ago in the infamous "Richocet 2" interview. Paraphrasing, he said he was afraid of announcing stuff too soon because of what happened with HL2's announcement debacle, and that they had run into design issues.

NervousXtian

Dota showed the formula with how addictive MOBA's can be. LoL refined it to larger audience and made it be hugely profitable... and Dota 2 is refining it that much more.

I mean shit.. Gabe said what 6 months ago he'd logged 800hrs of Dota2.

MOBA's are highly addictive games.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
I don't believe the game ever entered development. Why are they stupid?

Because Half Life is Valve and Half Life as a game has evolved the same genre twice. Is probably the best FPS franchise quality wise that we ever played and the last glimpse we got was almost 5 years ago. No development? please...

Another Half Life has to be on its way... you don't just end development of your baby at a cliffhanger like the end of Episode 2. It just isn't right.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Because Half Life is Valve and Half Life as a game has evolved the same genre twice. Is probably the best FPS franchise quality wise that we ever played and the last glimpse we got was almost 5 years ago. No development? please...
How did HL2 evolve the fps genre?

DaBuddaDa

How did HL2 evolve the fps genre?

Introducing compelling AI companions and physics puzzles and weapons, basically. I don't think it was nearly as big of a watershed as Half-Life 1, but little is. It is easy now to lose perspective and take HL2 for granted. It's a damn old game and still holds up better than most modern shooters.

nomis

I know that Valve only does projects that "inspire them" or whatever, but can they just suck it up and fucking make HL3 already before more of the voice actors die?

So where is the game?
Also Valve is Steam and an excellent F2P model.

Dota showed the formula with how addictive MOBA's can be. LoL refined it to larger audience and made it be hugely profitable... and Dota 2 is refining it that much more.

I mean shit.. Gabe said what 6 months ago he'd logged 800hrs of Dota2.

MOBA's are highly addictive games.

That doesn't really disprove that MOBA's are deep though. Unless you believe a game having addictive qualities and being deep are mutually exclusive things.

Top Bottom