• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's Director of Business has left [GAF Rumor: TF2 Art Lead, SFM Head Gone, More]

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
This reads to me like "I waited so long I chose to be less critical."

This is probably true because when you are a fan of something you are less critical, so my opinion is not unbiased, I try my best to be as critical as possible though.

The gun feel just a tad too light. Moving them feels a bit like waving a balsa stick around. Weapon feedback isn't quite as powerful as it could be00guns need more impact. The gun sounds, particularly the pistol and SMG, really hurt that sense of lethality (I noticed that when experimenting with playing the game muted, I favored the pistol more than when I played it unmuted).

Guns for me felt good, at the time in a single player experience I don't think there was a game handling that part better, but then again how that feels is very subjective and personal.

While you can't throw things at people in Max Payne and kill them, it's fun to hide behind a bunch of boxes and have cover shot away, then dodge roll out and kill everyone.

Sure, but hiding behind a bunch of boxes that fly away when shoot at doesn't make it genre defining.

When it comes to evolution, I look at all shooters before Half-Life 2 and all shooters after, and do you know what I see? Nothing really changes.
So, by this statement you say that because no other fps has come even close to HL2 in mostly any aspect or the sum of several of them that means it didn't evolve the genre or tried to?

There are far more distinct watershed moments with Half-Life, Halo: Combat Evolved, Call of Duty 1, and Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.

Woah, I think you had a typo there...

Booter

The gun feel just a tad too light. The gun sounds, particularly the pistol and SMG, really hurt that sense of lethality (I noticed that when experimenting with playing the game muted, I favored the pistol more than when I played it unmuted).

this man speaks the truth. HL2 was a great game, but it had some subpar weapon sounds.

Sibylus

Banned
What makes the line interesting is that so many scientists are assholes before that line. They're often uncooperative, sometimes jerks, and so on and so forth. After that moment, they're more likely to cooperate with you, give you guns, etc. It's them realizing you're their best hope. They begin to recognize you, too. Some people recognize you throughout the game, but it's that moment where it's like everyone knows who you are, for good or ill.

It's subtle, but it's there, and it's fascinating.

With Half-Life 2, you have to be in the mindset they want. You have to be complacent enough to do what they want. If your mindset clashes, then the experience falls apart. If it had tried to be less story-focused, and more immersive (that is, "I am a person at this moment in this place and time--how do I react?"), like Half-Life, it wouldn't run into the problem of having mindsets that clash.

You and I were both free to react to Half-Life as we wanted. I am not free to react to Half-Life 2 as I want. This is very core problem with the game's design and narrative delivery.
Not really my reading of the game. There were certainly plentiful cranky and glib idiots running around, but none that actively obstructed or imperiled me. In any disaster scenario that's less a sin and more par for the course, I was more than willing to tolerate it provided they actually possessed the barest sense to follow along instead of languishing in rubbish bins or the like. That's a far cry from Valve's original intention of actually having some scientists turn on you and exchange your skin for theirs (which would have been fascinating and welcome by me), but as it is the staff are all either benign idiots or helpful. The game gave me no compelling reason to not trust them, we were thrust into crap together and circumstances never altered those starting conditions.

It's the same for Half-Life 2, even though you can no longer abandon people at the side of the road or put two rounds in their skulls. Is the game a little less interesting for lacking that? Sure, and I'd welcome the next Half-Life titles to restore that. If there are interesting consequences and narrative tonal shifts associated with its inclusion, then awesome.

But if it is as it was in HL1 and there is no blowback whatsoever for being heartless to the people caught in the thick of things with you, then what's the point? You walk up to the Lambda checkpoint as a sterling savior of humanity, regardless of whose blood you have on your hands at that point. You've been railroaded. Maybe your natural disposition is to wave off the Lambda team and escape on your own into the wilderness. Too bad. Your alignment to your fellow man is immutable from the very beginning, you bail out the species and those ties in Lambda Complex regardless of how badly you loathe the species or want to crowbar the planet's only hope into paste.

You want something very specific from a Half-Life game here, and for my part I want it too. But neither HL1 nor HL2 supplied it, truly. You're reading a lot more narrative genius into the first entry than is really there. There are glimmers of greatness there to be sure, but they are as yet unrealized.

MormaPope

Banned
Like I said before MP2 didn't do much besides immersion with physics. HL2 involved gameplay with them. 2 different leagues.

Er, the question was about physics in general, not how physics were implemented in gameplay.

Also if you want the grandmaster of physics for the Source Engine, Garry's Mod is king.

I asked this in one of the other threads:
What I don't get is why wouldn't Gabe/upper management at Valve instruct or tell some of the employee's to change their current project or what they were currently doing?

Why shitcan talent when you can just change their priorities?
Because Valve doesn't work that way. The official company handbook says, their philosophy is that Gabe is not allowed to decide anything. There is no upper management. Employees decide what projects they work on. If a project fails, the blame is usually taken by the whole company. Employees even decide their salary by voting on each other (what they think employee abc deserves). They usually don't fire people that easily, because the hiring process is very strict. If they hire somebody, they expect this person to be reliable. Their official strategy is "to not make mistakes". Each employee is expected to run the entire company if necessary. There are no leads or roles. If there is, then only because the employees decided it is more convenient at the moment to do so. Valve never hires people just for a specific position. Each employee must be able to change his role on the fly. If Gabe gives an order, the employees have the right to refuse it. Gabe is CEO, because the employees decided it is more convenient this way etc.

They really work this way. The company is entirely employee driven. So you have to fuck-up badly before they fire you. I guess that happened recently.

He said nothing, he literally didn't expand on any of this news. Nothing has changed or nothing more is known.

Expand on what else? He said that no projects have been cancelled (as some people thought about the Steambox). What else could he have said? It's really not appropriate to publicly disclose the reason for a termination.

Rookje

As someone in the industry and part of a company has done something similar, these people who were let go were let go for a reason. Either burned out devs (aka dead weight) or part of a department that was being retired (such as the hardware team).

Just because they at one time did great work doesn't mean they still were performing at that level.

Valve also has a historically lax/forgiving atmosphere which can work well if everyone is equally brilliant, but if you have "leeches" it lowers the morale of everyone else and can be toxic.

To say "Valve's empire is crumbling" is laughable.

Because Valve doesn't work that way. The official company handbook says, their philosophy is that Gabe is not allowed to decide anything. There is no upper management. Employees decide what projects they work on. If a project fails, the blame is usually taken by the whole company. Employees even decide their salary by voting on each other (what they think employee abc deserves). They usually don't fire people that easily, because the hiring process is very strict. If they hire somebody, they expect this person to be reliable. Their official strategy is "to not make mistakes". Each employee is expected to run the entire company if necessary. There are no leads or roles. If there is, then only because the employees decided it is more convenient at the moment to do so. Valve never hires people just for a specific position. Each employee must be able to change his role on the fly. If Gabe gives an order, the employees have the right to refuse it. Gabe is CEO, because the employees decided it is more convenient this way etc.

They really work this way. The company is entirely employee driven. So you have to fuck-up badly before they fire you. I guess that happened recently.

Alot of what you said goes against Kim Swifts Portal 1 talk at GDC
Surprised people still take the handbook as fact.

New employees have a mentor system, they are encouraged to make mistakes and are forced to find there own solutions most of the time. Also portal 2 book on steam shows Gabe does have power over ideas.

MormaPope

Banned
Expand on what else? He said that no projects have been cancelled (as some people thought about the Steambox). What else could he have said? It's really not appropriate to publicly disclose the reasn for a termination.

Then what's the point of commenting at all? If Gabe wanted to tame the speculation and such he would disclose better information then what he gave, people want to know what's going on at Valve, and he didn't answer that question at all.

Even despite I don't really care about Steam and Valve's current activities, I'm shocked that so many HL2 staff gone. HL3's fate is the only thing I'm worried about. Valve must not fall apart anyway.

Dennis

Banned
We can have all these threads speculating on what is going on....

But in the end I think we just have to accept that the inner workings of Valve are a black box to us.

MormaPope

Banned
We can have all these threads speculating on what is going on....

But in the end I think we just have to accept that the inner workings of Valve are a black box to us.

Valve will always have opposing forces, we'll always be left for dead when it comes to this stuff.

There won't be a Half Life 3, it just doesn't fit their ambitions as a company any more. I'm sure there are people at Valve that are keen to push it forward, but I doubt its even gone past pre production let alone development.

You're right, Half life 3 hasn't started development yet. Episode 3 however, has. Gabe has said they are working on it.

riccitiello_newell.jpg

Oh man, Robin Williams would be spot on to play Gabe in a movie.

xenist

Holy shit this thread. The internet, ladies and gentlemen!

So after Irrational collapsing earlier it's Valve's time. Whenever gaming press marginalizes and patronizes fans on the internet I will be remembering this thread and keep myself from getting angry. Because we kind of deserve it.

Working with an increasingly volatile individual like Gabe can't be easy. But his erratic state of mind can be contributed to one factor.

Lets face it, the stagnant overlong console generation has helped the PC platform flourish immensely. But with 2013 its time for the console to be back in the limelight. And any self respecting gaffer knows that they will be loaded to the hilt with functionality and games to impress. Any PC advantage will be significantly eroded.

There is absolutely no disputing that Valves relevance will take a substantial hit. Most companies grow with time, but this one will see a substantial negative impact for years to come. Sinking ship? You bet. Well see if all the hairbrained schemes of steamboxes and hate mongering against the competition will pull Valve through somehow.

A steam box may have had a chance, but it's 1-2 years to late I'm afraid. Intact, there will be no steambox, that ship has sailed.

Jb

Holy shit this thread. The internet, ladies and gentlemen!

So after Irrational collapsing earlier it's Valve's time. Whenever gaming press marginalizes and patronizes fans on the internet I will be remembering this thread and keep myself from getting angry. Because we kind of deserve it.

Treating Gaf as one cohesive entity.

> lol

xenist

Treating Gaf as one cohesive entity.

> lol

Reading the nonsense in this thread.

>lol

Edit: To expound a bit and not appear like an asshole. A bunch of people are fired from Valve. "Steambox cancelled!" "Valve will not make any more games!" "Hostile work environment!" "Blah, blah, blah." Newell comes out and outright says that nothing has been cancelled. Tweets that this is performance evaluation season in Valve and such things are expected come out. "Steambox cancelled!" "Valve will not make any more games!" "Hostile work environment!" "Blah, blah, blah." It's like watching stampeding cattle. And similar nonsense happened with people leaving Irrational not that long ago. These are not GAF's proudest accomplishments.

Top Bottom